PSA: PC Minimum Supported Specs Changes Coming in 2023

[DE]Danielle

hace 23 horas, UmbraAtrox dijo:

Laptop? Nuc? What cpu do you have?

Desktop pc with a AMD A4-6300 APU with Radeon graphics, 3.70GHz processor. Also 4GB (3.20) of RAM with Windows 7 :)

I searched and apparently my processor can run those things :)

Otherwise goodbye game, won't be able to upgrade to a better PC or get new hardware :(

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:
22 hours ago, Digressive said:

Oh no, time to upgrade my Amiga 500

Ooh, fancy pants over here.

*reassures the C64 that it's still loved and plays some nice crunchy SID tunes*

Meanwhile I'm over here with an Apple II just confounded at both of you complaining. At least you have sound!

In all seriousness. I'm literally running an off lease office box from 2012 with a budget graphics card from 2017, on linux (thus introducing whole NEW issues) and for the most part it's working fine. 

Appreciate the spec bump while also being considerate to those of us with no budget available for gaming.

Edit: For everyone who have concerns and are lamenting their status? I've got you man. I got my box essentially for cost of shipping, but plenty like 'em on ebay for fifty bucks. Slap in an SSD. Graphics card would be a problem. You're better off with AMD than Intel, and if you can't swing or transfer a windows license: Linux. Linux is why I'm advising AMD over NVIDIA. Yes Nvidia is going towardss Open Source but it'll be awhile before we get anything useful. So AMD/ATI. 

I have a fixed income and even then I have to get help from family. So I am well aware of how others in this thread are feeling right now. Instead of point-laugh 'haha the poors' I feel it better to offer what's worked for me. Might have to save up through to christmas to get the spare money together guys, and even then it is luck dependent if you're on low income, but it is absolutely doable to get a warframe capible PC going for cheap, even now.

Budget-Wise helps to already have mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc.

As a reminder: Please do not just throw your old PC in the trash. If possible find the nearest place that advertises as accepting e-waste for proper disposal.

Here is a video from ETA Prime to help out

Edited by ABlindGuyPlays
  • Like 6

Citation

So i did a pricecheck.

• i5-4590 ~ 30€
  • Socket 1150 mainboard ~35€
  • 1x 8GB DDR3 Ram ~35€ (add second stick when able to afford)
  • Reuse the rest of your current PC - 0€

Supports SSE 4.2

These are 2nd hand ebay prices which get you a 8year old system which will run warframe with its new requirements.
Basically if you are able to save up 10€/month until the update somewhere 2023 releases you will have more than enough money to upgrade to something that works. I really don't get the complains here. 

Not everyone is living in a first world country.

Edited by Yorglaf
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, Mystic_Ervo said:

Look at this 👇🏻

Intel i7 860, that's for around 2009, processors older than that model are incompatible with most current hardware, it's impossible for someone to be dragging that processor until now

Rest assured that if a computer has that processor, it is very likely that it will not be able to run Warframe, neither in 2023 nor now nor before

i have a first gen intel i5 in my thinkpad T410. which still supports the game after the upgrade.

for those who don't know, the T410 looks like this:

Spoiler

t410__75273.1437364023.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

it's a brick. total and utter brick. weighs as much too.

THIS IS THE MINIMUM SPEC HARDWARE. 

if you are still running on something older than this, it is time you upgrade. chances are your computer doesn't even support windows 8 or 10 which means that most modern applications have already dropped support for it, not to mention you're running rickety old windows 7 which does not get security updates anymore and has thus become a hazard. 

if anyone needs a new(er) laptop or desktop to play the game now, feel free to ask and i'll set you up a rig within your budget. my t410 cost me 50 euro's, so it should not be hard to find something that runs minimum spec.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Schwarzsturm said:

Desktop pc with a AMD A4-6300 APU with Radeon graphics, 3.70GHz processor. Also 4GB (3.20) of RAM with Windows 7 :)

I searched and apparently my processor can run those things :)

Otherwise goodbye game, won't be able to upgrade to a better PC or get new hardware :(

You'll be fine. Your Cpu supports sse4.2

2 hours ago, Thorham said:

Four months isn't much considering the current situation. Would've been better if it was the end of 2023.

Who said the new requirement comes January 2023? Could be March or any other Month. We still have some time to go. 10 - 20$ saved each month should net you enough to be able to upgrade to something that works. If you can't do that Warframe is the least of your problems i think. It's literally a 100$ upgrade if you want to go the cheapest path. I mean i am broke too but probably will still manage to upgrade to the new minimum. Videogames cost money just like every other hobby. 

Edited by UmbraAtrox
  • Like 3

hace 2 horas, UmbraAtrox dijo:

Who said the new requirement comes January 2023? Could be March or any other Month. We still have some time to go. 10 - 20$ saved each month should net you enough to be able to upgrade to something that works. If you can't do that Warframe is the least of your problems i think. It's literally a 100$ upgrade if you want to go the cheapest path. I mean i am broke too but probably will still manage to upgrade to the new minimum.

This is why i was fearful, even a, i suppose, U$D100 is al ot of money on my country and many others. Not everyone can just say "gonna buy a new one" like that. As you said i may not have problem, but U$D100 is a lot, that i don't have, and even having getting a new CPU isn't that easy on my country thanks to the economical problems and government banning lots of imports. People can drive they cars because they lack the parts to fix them, or the tires. Same with agropecuary machinery that government needs to get money. They ban the imports of the parts needed to fix that. Even worse with hardware for PCs :(

For some people this may kill the game :(

• Like 5

En 6/9/2022 a las 22:38, [DE]Danielle dijo:

PSA: PC Minimum Supported Specs Changes Coming in 2023

In 2023 (specific date TBD), we will be changing our minimum specs to require the following CPU features: SSSE3, SSE4.1 and SSE4.2*. 

*Your CPU must support SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2. 

These are CPU-instructions that were first added to processors like the Intel i7 860 (Nehalem microarchitecture released in 2008) or the AMD FX-4170 (Bulldozer microarchitecture released 2011). As you can see, even computers that are a decade old support these features so you probably have nothing to worry about! 

If you’re still rocking a vintage machine that doesn’t support these instructions, you’ll soon start to see a warning in the Warframe launcher so you know it’s time for an upgrade. 

These changes will finally let the PC version of the game get optimizations we’ve had on the Xbox and PlayStation versions for years and will make it easier to do more optimizations, since  all developers will be using them all day every day (as opposed to only when testing on some consoles). 

In true minspec PSA style, we want to give our PC Tenno a very early heads up. While 2023 is still a ways away, we don’t want any surprises when it comes time to implement these changes. In addition to the Launcher warning, we will post another PSA as a follow up to this one once we have a date to share of the updated minspec. 

Thank you, Tenno! 

no pueden hacer esto porque los que tenemos una mala pc que nos van a dejar afuera del juego ?

11 часов назад, SDGDen сказал:

i have a first gen intel i5 in my thinkpad T410. which still supports the game after the upgrade.

for those who don't know, the T410 looks like this:

Скрыть контент

t410__75273.1437364023.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

it's a brick. total and utter brick. weighs as much too.

THIS IS THE MINIMUM SPEC HARDWARE. 

if you are still running on something older than this, it is time you upgrade. chances are your computer doesn't even support windows 8 or 10 which means that most modern applications have already dropped support for it, not to mention you're running rickety old windows 7 which does not get security updates anymore and has thus become a hazard. 

if anyone needs a new(er) laptop or desktop to play the game now, feel free to ask and i'll set you up a rig within your budget. my t410 cost me 50 euro's, so it should not be hard to find something that runs minimum spec.

It's all good, but you're missing out on a really important part of it all. The fact is that the requirement to support these instructions cuts off from the game not only users who have weak processors, but also those whose processors allow you to play Warframe with maximum graphics settings in Full HD quality. My old Xeon allows me to play quite demanding games like Division 2, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Assasin Creed Series, World War Z, GTA5 and others without any problems. In all these games, the graphics are an order of magnitude better than in a warframe. And they don't require SSE 4.2. So what is it for then? Why would I urgently upgrade my PC if my current configuration allows me to play a large number of modern games without doing so? Of course, if developers are willing to part with a part of the gaming community for the sake of something unclear, then this is their choice. But as they say in my homeland, "criticizing - offer," and I will offer. A good solution may be the introduction of a second client of the game. One (current) for those who do not have SSE4.2 support and the second one is for those who have it. Thus, all categories of players will have the opportunity to play, those who want more graphic bells and whistles will get what they want. And those who play Warframe with Core2Duo are unlikely to make high demands on graphics, and they absolutely do not need the latest versions of shaders.

Edited by T-13_ReconUnit
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, UmbraAtrox said:

I mean i am broke too but probably will still manage to upgrade to the new minimum.

Because of some luck I'm not, but I was certainly broke too at the start of the year. Just saying that in current times they might wait a little longer.

On 2022-09-07 at 5:30 PM, Sannidor said:

This will mean end of Warframe journey for thousands of players.

But of course DE is aware of that.

What's next, game not working on Windows7 ?

Please reconsider, this is a bad move.

If you're running hardware that old that's on you tbh. 
Games have to develop and evolve it is literally just a part of time passing and moving forward.
This is a good change and can honestly help them step away from holding back the engine and implementing features that can make the game much more stable and better as a whole.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, UmbraAtrox said:

You'll be fine. Your Cpu supports sse4.2

Who said the new requirement comes January 2023? Could be March or any other Month. We still have some time to go. 10 - 20$ saved each month should net you enough to be able to upgrade to something that works. If you can't do that Warframe is the least of your problems i think. It's literally a 100$ upgrade if you want to go the cheapest path. I mean i am broke too but probably will still manage to upgrade to the new minimum. Videogames cost money just like every other hobby. 

Probably you are reading inattentively,  or you do not understand the meaning of what you read. I will explain especially for you - not all over the world the prices for PC components are the same as in your town. I hope this is clear, and you will stop talking about "updating for 100 bucks" in every message.

17 hours ago, xDirty_Birdx said:

All I wanted was for the notice to disappear once I said ok, I know now about the changes. but that's not what happens, Just like the Quest we just got Veilbreaker, Buggy as hell. Sorry but is just the truth. Commands don't work can't get past the invulnerable enemies, can't kill them, the nodes take no damage. Can't bomb them as your commands To the grineer don't hardly work. So freeing the Ship isn't happening till they patch that. The bottles that appear you can't pick up and do nothing just disappear after a while have seen mods drop can't pick them up either.

Next you will have to have a lot of Bandwidth to play the game will have to live in the inner cities and belong to a Certain Political Party. 
as I said before I understand, the game must go on.

Some of us just won't be going with you.

And DE never reads any of this, Reporting bugs they just refer you back to the forums which doesn't fix anything. At least that's what they do to me.

When I said I have " Limited Finances I meant it." There is no room to buy anything else. People should try living 450.00 dollars below your states Poverty level, Gives you a whole new perspective on Life.  There are no upgrades even to a Older system. Being 100% Disabled Has many drawbacks one is they keep you as far under the table as they can Finance wise. Being Retired now and Disabled hasn't changed anything but the Label they give you once you reach a certain age. And lose of some benefits I was able to make use of.

And I did upgrade last year. Got a Card through NewEgg Financing. Built a new system. lasted a whole 3 months. MotherBoard went out. Is a ASRock MB and was under warranty, sent it back, they waited till the warranty ran out and sent it back as dead as when I sent it in, New lesson in Life don't buy Asrock MB's. Better yet don't buy anything ASROCK.

Now I will spend the next 3 to 4 years paying off this system that is dead. And to top that off Microsoft made me buy a new key for Win10. Now I will have to buy another key as the OS is tied to your Bios. Thats another 200.00 bucks. This was a Mid Range gaming system, was not top of the line, and still cost around 1600 bucks, yep thats dollars. All I have for all that is the GPU, Thats still fine have tested it on this old Gaming system. A EVGA RTX 2060. Will keep that for Posterity. 

So I fired up the Old Gaming system. And that's how I have been able to play the game. And here in a very few months that will change again. Thats Life.

Continue on Tenno, Not all Tenno will be coming with you.

Sad, but true story

Edited by T-13_ReconUnit
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, T-13_ReconUnit said:

Probably you are reading inattentively,  or you do not understand the meaning of what you read. I will explain especially for you - not all over the world the prices for PC components are the same as in your town. I hope this is clear, and you will stop talking about "updating for 100 bucks" in every message.

Well, global shipping exists. I don't buy parts from my local town because it's expensive. I look in the internet, find something i can afford and pay for shipping. Not even from my country, from a different country where it is cheaper. Ebay is a thing you know? Somehow you trying to explain you live in a country with electricity and internet but nobody has invented postal service yet?
There is services who collect everything you ordered and ship it to you in one packet so you pay for international shipping only once instead for every part. 

It's literally a 100$ upgrade when you are willing to look for opportunities to get it for that price! Even if you pay a lot for shipping, let's say another 100$ shipping to that then it's still a 200$ upgrade you can save up to over several months since DE told us early enough. 

Ofc it's expensive when you go buy the first thing you find in a local shop. 

• Like 1

On 2022-09-07 at 11:02 AM, trunks013 said:

I can confirm I5 3570 supports it but you had me worryed for a bit XD

For general intel processor its in the Instruction Set Extensions section you will see the supported SSE in specifications ^.^ 

Yeah, DEs update is axing tech prior to 15 years ago, So unless you're running WF on a PC built in 2004 or earlier ... first question is why ... but otherwise probably 98% of the community running PCs should be fine.

• Like 2

On 2022-09-07 at 11:30 AM, Sannidor said:

This will mean end of Warframe journey for thousands of players.

But of course DE is aware of that.

What's next, game not working on Windows7 ?

Please reconsider, this is a bad move.

No it won't.  If DEs userbase is a subset reflection of any indicator of general web trends usage data, computers that old comprise less that .01 percent of internet traffic. That's Point Zero One. As in 1/100th of one percent. It's fractions of a fraction.  So unless your grandma is still sporting a Pentium that predates the first gen Core processors (if you'd bothered to read the Dev post at the start of this thread); then nearly everyone playing WF has literally nothing to concern themselves with.

Here's some general Steam CPU Usage for Aug 2022:
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/processormfg/

(my data comes from general Google Analytics - but I'm not going to go dig around for that)

And likely DEs data shows a super tiny fraction of users (for some reason still) logging in on antiquated machines).

@Sannidor  Maybe go educate yourself about computer tech before you complain inaccurately about how this is going to affect thousands of (fictitious) players. Where is your data to back up your statement?

Why do you think that DE (or Microsoft) should support a 13 year old - outdated - security flawed operating system taht could be an enrty way into causing system and server issues - security compromises for everybody's accounts - not to mention ytours?

And honestly Yes - Windows 7 support should be scrapped. Microsoft is discontinuing security patches for Win 7 and Win 8.1 as of January 2023. That's 4 months from now. So it might actually be a good idea for DE to axe support as well. But DE seems nice enough to continue to support a crap OS.

It's not like DE is cutting off DirectX11 users or Windows 8 users or users running all Core i5s and i7s and resticting gameplay to only 64-bit Core i9s.  Hell - they're basically scrapping any semblence of 8-bit processing (which has not been in use by the mainstream for 20+ years).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UmbraAtrox said:

Well, global shipping exists. I don't buy parts from my local town because it's expensive. I look in the internet, find something i can afford and pay for shipping. Not even from my country, from a different country where it is cheaper. Ebay is a thing you know? Somehow you trying to explain you live in a country with electricity and internet but nobody has invented postal service yet?
There is services who collect everything you ordered and ship it to you in one packet so you pay for international shipping only once instead for every part. 

It's literally a 100$ upgrade when you are willing to look for opportunities to get it for that price! Even if you pay a lot for shipping, let's say another 100$ shipping to that then it's still a 200$ upgrade you can save up to over several months since DE told us early enough. 

Ofc it's expensive when you go buy the first thing you find in a local shop. 

oh boy, let me guess,are you from States? :D Are you seriously recommending that I buy old junk at exorbitant prices in another country, without guarantees, and without the ability to test its performance in order to play this game? Are you all so naive there? Of course, we invented the postal service, but before that we launched the first man into space.

3 hours ago, uberfu said:

Yeah, DEs update is axing tech prior to 15 years ago, So unless you're running WF on a PC built in 2004 or earlier ... first question is why ... but otherwise probably 98% of the community running PCs should be fine.

I'm running WF on CPU which was released at Q4 2007 and built at 2009, it supports everything except SSE 4.2, so you are wrong, But I don't see any reason to be upset, because even without an upgrade, I have a wide list of games that are graphically many times superior to the warframe, but I am concerned about the feelings of players for whom the warframe was the only relatively new game that they could launch. At the moment, game online is about 46 thousand players in the steam, let's see how it will change when this "update" is released, and whether you will be right about the percentages.

• Like 4

On 2022-09-08 at 3:58 AM, Hobie-wan said:

As always, people crying "But I can't afford to buy a new PC!". You wouldn't even need to get a new one, you'd just need to upgrade from a 'very old' PC to a merely 'old' one. Like the poster above me showing a price for an I9 12900K system with a 3080. That's a top of the line current system.

Just be on the lookout for something used in the next 4-8 months that's 5-6 years old and not as old as what you've currently got.

A concrete example: glasses or a new comp... I'd chose glasses. Not always one can buy anew.
luckily I don't have to upgrade the low end old (second hand) laptop for this, though it might be near its end of life anyway.
Maybe next time I am "hit" by that, or when my computer stops working.

The folllowing can't help for CPU and is written from a newbie perspective, but maybe it can help ones with old comp not running windows 10/11 etc / not wanting to. Don't use Windows 7, its life ended and it won't get updates. Linux is one option. Linux is not officially supported (neither supported nor forbidden as of now) but if you can handle some quirks and some sudden stops of "support" which you have to find a solution to, you can try to run linux with Steam-Play/Proton and compatibility option. At the moment Glorious Eggrol's Proton fork 7.30 is the last version which works fine for me (7.31 is based on the version which broke for me), on my built in Intel GPU, - it's dedicated to RUN THE GAME(S) ONLY but I take no responsibity for others use on that/any OS/any other 3rd party sofware non forbidden as of now, while the last Steam Valve Proton Experimental ceased to work on my system while the last normal Steam Valve Proton version 7.04 works but not well at all. [UPDATE: proton experimental now works for me again too, it's the release since 7/9. It seems to work just fine after things broke for me around 29/8.] I personally could chose DX11 settings for the game that way, it works well enough now, my GPU supports this. Most GPUs/cards nowadays do.

Edited by NelomirPrime

10 hours ago, T-13_ReconUnit said:

oh boy, let me guess,are you from States? :D Are you seriously recommending that I buy old junk at exorbitant prices in another country,

No i am not from the states, i don't see how that would be important. No i recommend buying old junk for cheaper than in your country. That's the whole point of buying from somewhere else. 

without guarantees,

That's what seller ratings are for. 

without the ability to test its performance in order to play this game? 

Benchmarks exist

Are you all so naive there? Of course, we invented the postal service, but before that we launched the first man into space.

Who exactly did you send into space? I believe you sent nobody into space, that's the accomplishment of other people in your country, not yours. 

• Like 1