Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please Decouple Oberon's Armor Strip from Needing Hallowed Ground

ABlindGuyPlays

Armor strip changes to be base 50% and now working properly with steel path is amazing.

The problem now is needing to cast two seperate abilities to armor strip when pretty well every other frame can one tap no armor enemies. Why didn't this get changed out?

Edit: Also needing both means unless you build for like... 235 range, you don't strip everything around you. So.... Yea. It gets annoying.

My problem is that the armor strip doesn't always reliably apply to every target in HG's area.  Maybe small elevation differences or LoS issues throws it off, I don't know.

If that got fixed and HG was made a little better on its own merits, I don't think I'd have an issue with the armor strip being a synergy.

On 2022-09-07 at 3:33 PM, Tiltskillet said:

My problem is that the armor strip doesn't always reliably apply to every target in HG's area.  Maybe small elevation differences or LoS issues throws it off, I don't know.

If that got fixed and HG was made a little better on its own merits, I don't think I'd have an issue with the armor strip being a synergy.

The problem with it being a synergy is both of those abilities on their own are pretty weak to be honest.  Hallowed Ground does entirely negligible damage and relies solely on radiation procs for its CC which are themselves unreliable at best and will 9 out of 10 times still wind up with the enemies just attacking you anyway.  Hallowed Reckoning at least has guaranteed CC mediocre as it is but also doesn't do a whole lot for damage and in terms of Warframe "ultimates" is pretty bad.  The armor strip is a nice mechanic to have but casting two abilities that are otherwise subpar to get the same effect that a LOT of single abilities on other Warframe's have in addition to other more beneficial effects is a pretty bad "synergy".

Take Gauss for example, almost his entire kit synergizes and every ability is useful on its own, but he also has an armor strip synergy in his kit that is equally effective, provides substantially better CC in the form of cold, heat, and blast procs meaning at worst you're ragdolling enemies which is basically matching the main CC of Hallowed Reckoning, in the middle you're applying heat procs which offer a more temporary CC but also double for dealing extra damage and stripping even more armor, and at best you're freezing enemies solid while also stripping their armor AND if you nuke them after that you can deal just as much damage as Hallowed Ground gets with its augment.

People love to claim Oberon is a "jack of all trades" but the reality is he's a "'mediocre at best' of all trades" and really just doesn't cut it for any desired purpose you would run him for.

On 2022-09-07 at 3:33 PM, Tiltskillet said:

This, TBH... As an Oberon fan, I am glad they beefed up the reckoning armor strip to a reasonable number, with buffs to the one augment I was scratching my head at how to make use of it (its now actually fun)... But reckoning targeting is still very janky. I have found that abilities like larva and airburst ragdolling mess with reckoning targeting.

There is also the fact that Oberon's unacceptable renewal drain specs were ignored... Among other things.

I am mostly glad for the changes, but it feels like an "oh, Oberon has a stake in this too! Nearly forgot..." rather than a "While we are on the subject of Oberon...". I appreciate the augment and reckoning buffs, but this is just not enough.

On 2022-09-08 at 11:26 PM, Ceadeus said:

he problem with it being a synergy is both of those abilities on their own are pretty weak to be honest.

I only ever play oberon for max AoE status immunity in radiation sorties so people dont kill each other, therefore, from my perspective, that's literally the only worthwhile ability this guy has. the HoT is weak af, 4 is just another mag 4, generic AoE damage and cc, and his 1 is basically not an ability after you get 2 mods on your primary weapon anymore.

imma be real with you, i literally didnt even know that this guy can strip armor. maybe just double the armor strip if you faceplant them onto the hallowed ground so you dont neccesserely need ability strength? or have hallowed ground apply 25%, 25% from reckoning, and if you make them kiss the plants they get a 25% bonus armor strip or something like that. i doubt that DE is just gonna give full armor strip to reckoning on its own.

14 minutes ago, iHaku said:

I only ever play oberon for max AoE status immunity in radiation sorties so people dont kill each other, therefore, from my perspective, that's literally the only worthwhile ability this guy has. the HoT is weak af, 4 is just another mag 4, generic AoE damage and cc, and his 1 is basically not an ability after you get 2 mods on your primary weapon anymore.

imma be real with you, i literally didnt even know that this guy can strip armor. maybe just double the armor strip if you faceplant them onto the hallowed ground so you dont neccesserely need ability strength? or have hallowed ground apply 25%, 25% from reckoning, and if you make them kiss the plants they get a 25% bonus armor strip or something like that. i doubt that DE is just gonna give full armor strip to reckoning on its own.

The ability only has 50% armor strip by default.  Nobody's asking for it to be buffed to 100% base, we just don't want to have to cast the grass carpet to get that strip.  Especially since we just got a frame who has 50% base strip on an ability that's not even his ult and does like everything else Oberon does better too, it's a little annoying.

On 2022-09-08 at 4:26 PM, Ceadeus said:

The problem with it being a synergy is both of those abilities on their own are pretty weak to be honest. 

Both agree and 'trying to use that as justification for forcing both to be cast thus effectively making each have higher energy costs is pure insanity.'

Hallowed Ground: base 20% enemy slow for anything that steps on the carpet. Given you're going to want to mod for 200% strength, that's a 40% slow on anyone that is forced into the grass that's pretty significant especially if you place multiple carpets for choke-point and or general area denial.

Reckoning: Turn this from an armor strip to full defensive strip (shields included.) at 200% strength that yoinks full armor and shields. It already guarantee radiation procs, staggers enemies that don't have overguard or other CC immunity, and the new hallowed reckoning mod damage auras 'count' for killing enemies with hallowed ground so potential for equilibrium shenanigans for energy orb generation. Even without the augment, allowing it to stand on its own as a full defense strip puts it on caliban territory since you suddenly have the full radius of enemies around you with all their defensive tools removed rather than just whatever's on the carpet.

Archived