Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New SFX for Breaking Overguard

Bart_Last

Veilbreaker has been enjoyable, but the new sound for breaking overguard has been bothering me.

The sound itself isn't bad (though I would probably want the highs to be lowered a bit) but in certain situations, it can be triggered multiple times per second. In steel path missions that have ancient healers, enemy density is pretty high and many enemies can have overguard. After playing any missions with lots of eximus or any ancient healers, I need to take a break for my ears.

Possible solutions:

• Enemies with overguard from external sources can't trigger the sound
  • The sound itself triggers at a lower volume, maybe closer to volume of the headshot kill trigger volume
  • Change the sound
    • Maybe all it needs is to fade out quicker?
  • Brussel sprouts?

Thanks for reading! :)

It is, definitely, too loud and up-front, hilariously so in Eximus sortie Infested missions.

I also think there's something off about using a sound to indicate when Overguard breaks. When the update first dropped and I was playing around, I was legitimately confused what was causing it, because my DOT setup was breaking Overguard after I had turned my back. Explosive weapons were similar. I figured it out by breaking Overguards with direct hits, but in that case, I could see the healthbar change, menaing the sound didn't really add anything. So I tend to think it's more confusing than helpful or immersive.

Maybe sounds for dealing damage to Overguard instead...? Like, modified hitmarker sounds, more metallic-like. That way, you can tell when Overguard breaks by the change in sound, and you can also get an at-a-whisper indicator you're dealing with Overguard in, say, a crowd.

51 minutes ago, Thural said:

there's a sound for breaking overguard?

Yeah it's in the patch notes. I noticed it through gameplay, much like Tyreaus, first though.

55 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

Maybe sounds for dealing damage to Overguard instead...? Like, modified hitmarker sounds, more metallic-like. That way, you can tell when Overguard breaks by the change in sound, and you can also get an at-a-whisper indicator you're dealing with Overguard in, say, a crowd.

I didn't think about it this way. I think this might make more sense than having a trigger when it breaks. Metallic hit sounds ringing off of infested might feel a little odd though? in my mind, metallic sounds would suggest armor rather than, whatever space magic overguard actually is... lol

I  appreciate the idea of a sound effect for it, but I don't like this particular sound.   It's just a little abrasive to my ears. 

Quieter would help, but I think it would still annoy me over time.  I think I'd just prefer to turn it off if that were an option.

This is a bigger issue, but I'll just mention that I didn't even realize it was an Overguard breaking sound--I thought it was an Eximus dieing sound.   Because for the bulk of my play, those happen almost simultaneously most of the time.   In those cases it's  not functioning at all as an alert that "This eximus is now vulnerable to CC".

4 hours ago, Thural said:

I meant that to mean that I can't hear it, even when listening for it

Yeah I'm not sure what to tell you,,. It gets intense when you start popping a bunch of guys with overguard. If you're curious, load some eximus in the simulacrum.

Archived