[DE]Rebecca

Information On Damage 2.0

Also, in the picture of a the melee weapon showing off Radiation, there is something that says STATUS: 10%  

I wonder what that is?

I'd wager that that is the percentage indicating how likely a weapon is to generate the secondary proc.

1. Proc-Chances?

2. When do we proc?

3. How long?

4. Is the proc damage relying on the mod levels?

1. I gather you know what proc chances mean based on follow up questions.

2. As said above, likely based on each weapons Status percentage

3. Likely static for each proc type, possibly changing with mods to be added into the game to lengthen said effect

4. Likely, but all yet to be determined for sure - it seemed before that anything that spawned a secondary effect was either constant if non-damaging or a set value that could be affected by mod if damaging

I feel like a total number in this case would be pointless - or worse, misleading. If every enemy has their own individual resistances, in theory NONE of what you shoot at would receive that total number's worth of damage.

I can foresee the "OMGz...muh wepon ain't working. DE lyed!" threads popping up with exposing that number.

On the other hand, I can see lots of people asking "how much damage am I actually doing?!" threads popping up with the way it is now. There's no really good solution here.

Also, a question for DE: What's happening to puncture? Currently it lets you shoot through terrain. Is this feature being lost? Is every weapon gaining the ability to shoot through terrain (dependent on its puncture stat)? Is puncture as we have it now getting renamed to wall pierce or something to differentiate it from the new puncture?

• Upvote 3

Oh crap, this is gonna take time, credits, and platinum for me to possibly to do a total rehaul of my arsenal,i sadly fell into a bit of a rut with fittings, so me thinks im gonna be making specialized fittings for all the factions AKA grineer get corrosive, corpus get magnetic (damn moas), infested, thats the only thing that may not change since i just go berserk and get out the machete and chop away

P.S: loving the new lotus model, looks snappy

Edited by DisicpleDominus3

This means that you will have to take a variety of weapons into a Void mission because of the many different mob types contained in those levels. Those chosen weapons will not have to adhere to the "Armor Ignore or its trash" system that we have now.

Therefore, keep all your weapons for now folks, except those that you're sure you don't like and serve only as mastery!

• Upvote 1

This is soooooo complicated...

And I imagine you'll have to design an in-game tutorial for that?

Followed by a tutorial on mods I guess?

Wow, I'm already both bored and confused just by thinking about what it would be like.

If you want players spending more time preping their loadout for a mission than actually playing the game, you're on good tracks.

@DE_Rebecca

The screenshots are helpful in getting most of the point across, but what about 3 element combos? What about a combo on a gun with an innate element? Can we see what those will look like in the UI?

Does Synapse have one of the 3 'base' (Impact, Puncture, Slash) types in addition to its element? Does Embolist? What about Ignis? What exactly happens when another element is added? It seems like that could turn a 100% fire Ignis, into a 100% blast Ignis ... but the max Cold mod is only +75%

The Maths.... T-T

• Upvote 1

This is soooooo complicated...

And I imagine you'll have to design an in-game tutorial for that?

Followed by a tutorial on mods I guess?

Wow, I'm already both bored and confused just by thinking about what it would be like.

If you want players spending more time preping their loadout for a mission than actually playing the game, you're on good tracks.

I'm guessing it's going to be a lot more intuitive once we've got it ingame and can check out enemy resistance in the codex.

• Upvote 3

also, how about a updated version of the spreadsheet, though that might be straddling the line of "behind the scenes" numbers, but that would be great. 

Also, a question for DE: What's happening to puncture? Currently it lets you shoot through terrain. Is this feature being lost? Is every weapon gaining the ability to shoot through terrain (dependent on its puncture stat)? Is puncture as we have it now getting renamed to wall pierce or something to differentiate it from the new puncture?

That is a damn good question!

Is this a bad thing? When I played Diablo III religiously, I spent most of my day thinking about skill sets and what gear to upgrade next. I theorized all day and decimated all night!

• Upvote 3

Questions:

1) Is Proc chance still based on Critical hits?  As I understood it the status effects were going to proc when you made a critical (hence why critical hit weapons started becoming available and important).  If Proc chance is seperate from critical chance, will there be mods for increasing the proc chance?

2) How will mods like 'Serration', which currently give a percentage increase to the base damage of a rifle, fit with this?  Will they count as slashing damage?  Will it spread evenly over the three normal damage types?  

3) Will there be other mods to increase normal damage of a particular type?

4) Steve had said that weapons with a particular damage type will affect the status applied.  Does this mean, for example, that the Ignis will always have some combo of fire + etc?

5) What happens if we rainbow build anyway?  Do we not get the status effects but get the additional damage?

6) Currently, as far as I know there are no mods for adding toxic damage to weapons; either the weapon does the damage or Saryn can make it do toxic damage with a power.  Will toxic damage mods be added?

7) What happens if one person in a team freezes a unit, and then another person hits it with fire.  Do they proc as frozen and on fire, or do they proc as blast, or does the unit freeze, then blast, with a new shattering effect that insta-kills the target (legendary team combos?)

8) Will appropriate warframe powers affect the status effects?  For example, will Ember's fireball be able to proc on a frozen enemy and cause it to proc blast?

9) Will there be a way to increase the area of effect for procs like blast and gas?

• Upvote 10

Great update! It's nice to finally have details on this. I can't wait!

It's time to stalk enemies anew. Thanks DE.

P.S. Loving the new Lotus pic Rebecca. 

What to expect with Damage 2.0: or:

"What to expect when you're expecting Damage 2.0" or

"A Fish called Damage 2.0" or

"How I learned to stop worrying and Love Damage 2.0" or

"Much ado about Damage 2.0" or

"It's the Grineer Damage 2.0!"

Coming up with a clever name is hard! But, information in this post is relevant to all Tenno. Let's get started, shall we?

Read this post to learn about the coming Damage 2.0 changes in Update 11.

This new damage system introduces a number of new terms. This post will take you through introducing and explaining these terms, then elaborating on what they mean for combat. Keep in mind that things are subject to change, that some terms may be placeholder.

Physical Damage:

Impact

Puncture

Slash

Every weapon in the game is made up of a combination of these three damage types. The overall damage of any given weapon is the sum of Impact, Puncture, and Slash damage. Weapons will exhibit a variety of combinations on the Impact, Puncture, and Slash damage spectrum. Mods will affect damage types as decided by the player by their loadout.

In short, Weapon Damage = (Impact + Puncture + Slash)

Real-life Firearm Metaphor: Impact=Slug; Puncture=Armor Piercing; Slash=Hollow-point. When assigning physical damage aspects to weapons we avoid making them 'pure' (100% in one direction). This ensures you can damage all enemies in the game.

Elemental Damage:

In addition to the 3 base damage types, Elemental Damage can be applied on top of a weapon’s base damage depending on what Elemental Mods are applied. For some rare weapons, elemental damage is all they have.

There are four primary Elemental Damage types:

Heat

Cold

Electric

Toxin

Elemental Damage can be applied alone but if you combine primary elements they create new combined elemental damage types! This opens up new possibilities, reduces 'rainbow build' problems and reduces some of the confusing effects like 'frozen guy is on fire'.

Combined Elemental Types:

To create these combined elements requires mixing two primary elements together:

Blast (Fire + Cold)

Gas (Fire + Toxin)

Radiation (Fire + Electricity)

Magnetic (Cold + Electricity)

Viral (Cold + Toxin)

Corrosive (Electricity + Toxin)

Elemental Damage is applied in addition to a weapon’s physical damage types.

Weapon Damage = (Impact + Puncture + Slash) + (Elemental).

Elemental Damage Hierarchy & Combining Elementals

Elemental damage combinations are made by following a strict order.

Fire, Cold, Electric, Toxin.

As an example: If you want Fire damage + Magnetic damage (Cold + Electricity), you will need to split it between weapons because when a Fire Mod enters the mod loadout any other elementals will combine with it as it is first in the hierarchy.

Status Effects ('Procs')

All damage types have a chance to inflict a status on the target – including you!

Impact: Knockback

Puncture: Weakened (reduced damage output)

Slash: Bleed (health reduced over time, healing blocked)

Fire: Ignited (fire damage over time)

Cold: Slowed

Electric: Chain Electricity Damage

Toxin: Poison Damage over time to health.

Blast: Stun

Gas: Poison in area

Radiation: Confusion (difficulties targeting)

Magnetic: Shield reduction

Viral: Sickened

Corrosive: Armor Damage

UI Representation

The UI will represent all these damage stats numerically. Attached are screenshots of what you can expect to see with Damage 2.0.

Exhibit 1: 3 images that show the Physical Damage types represented in the UI, and the added Heat damage after a Heated Charge is added.

HfFTn8g.png

Exhibit 2: 2 Images that show the impact of a No-Return mod on Puncture Damage

uCxHLbm.png

Exhibit 3: 2 images that show the impact of an Elemental Damage combination.

QSFTJXP.png

Enemy Levels

Enemy levels now fall in a more compressed scale. Level 1 enemies are still the easiest, but the difficulty of a Level 40 enemy in Damage 2.0 will be comparable to a Level 100 enemy in Damage 1.0. Infinite mission types will still feature ever increasing enemy levels. Enemies will be wielding weapons that can inflict different types of damage and Procs on the Tenno, meaning the difficulty will come from a combination of their loadouts and their level.

Know your enemy.

Enemies will react to damage types differently. Begin hunting your enemies to discover the best way to approach different faction and enemies. With your Primary, Secondary, and Melee weapon, you will be able to take on the fiercest foes with many different combinations.

Significance of Change

Damage 2.0 is a very significant change to Warframe. We are standing by to receive feedback and experiences on this new Damage system when it is released.

Thank you for reading, everyone!

Here's a question: Will different abilities have different effects? An ultimate or somesuch that doesn't do a lot of damage but decreases enemy accuracy sounds really useful.

the difficulty of a Level 40 enemy in Damage 2.0 will be comparable to a Level 100 enemy in Damage 1.0. 

o_o

Nice! Thanks Rebecca for the Info

Can't wait to play around with the new stats