Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reclaimed from the Leviathan | Hydroid Rework Idea

GrimUlkoves

Roughly this time last year, a friend and I started talking about how direly Hydroid needs a total overhaul to his kit. We both agreed that Hydroid has one of the best concepts in-game, but doesn't execute his gameplay fantasy in a fun, interactive way. One week later, I wrote up a rework idea since I couldn't get the idea of cool pirate captain Hydroid out of my mind. 

The original concept didn't get anywhere, really. A year later I decided to revamp my original design and make a lot of adjustments to how I approached Hydroids kit. I hope this gets traction, maybe even inspiring a generous designer at DE to consider a Hydroid rework of their own <3 :)

And We'll Roll the Old Chariot Along, and We'll All Hang on Behind... - A Drop of Nelson's Blood, Sea Shanty

Design Notes: I always felt that Hydroid was a unique Warframe, as he stands between a mixture between the Water elemental frame and the Pirate frame, but as it currently stands his in-game playstyle mirrors none of these aspects. With this rework in-mind, I wanted to bring a few core mechanics to how Hydroid plays:

- In modern day Warframe, Hydroids’ only practical use is for farming if you don’t have Khora or Nekros. I wanted to focus on this aspect of his playstyle, as subsequently farming for resources fits in with his gameplay fantasy of “Loot Pirate”. I feel as if among the many Warframes, we have yet to fulfill the loot focused Warframe, which is strange given how much we farm for resources.

- Hydroid is the original Water frame. Although, with the introduction of Yareli, his theme is simply outdone. Modern Hydroids’ main ability is being able to turn into a puddle. This isn’t an amazing fulfillment of his fantasy as a powerful force of nature, and his abilities should reflect this. If Ember can bring the devastation of fire, Zephyr the twisting winds, and Atlas the might of stone, Hydroid should be able to command the whelm of sea and storm.

- As previously mentioned, Hydroid is a pirate, but not only just a pirate; he’s a pirate captain! Hydroid isn’t a warframe that devastates enemies on his own, but rather he should encourage his teammates to pillage his enemies and turn the tides of battle into his favor. Hydroid should be able to support his allies while also commanding powerful abilities to control the battlefield to his advantage.

- Hydroid is most noted for his Kraken themed abilities; and with my love for Lovecraftian horror, I couldn’t help but want to focus on the eldritch theme to his abilities. The Kraken, also known as the Leviathan in his kit, is a way to express his ties to the ancient oceans and unknown depths.

With all of this in-mind, these are the following things that I had to keep and introduce in Hydroid’s kit from the original:

- Hydroid commands the seas, abilities in his kit should make it feel as if he can sweep enemies away and catch them in awe-inspiring torrents of storm and water.

- Hydroid is a pirate captain, his kit should reflect his ability to pillage his enemies, rally his allies, and loot the battlefield for riches!

- Hydroid commands a kraken, his abilities should feel as if he commands an ancient and terrible presence that devastates enemies with eldritch power and immense might.

- Hydroid should be a welcome presence in teams, his kit should grant desirable bonuses for working with him and around him. Who doesn’t want extra resources and utility?

If Ya' Buy Me a Drink, Then I'll Sing ya' a Song, Gimme Some Time to Blow the Man Down... - Blow the Man Down, Sea Shanty

PASSIVE - As enemies die around Hydroid he builds up his Plunder meter. Once this meter fills Hydroid is gifted a boon from the Leviathan; him and his allies gain a random buff for 12 seconds. This passive is more likely to grant buffs that directly benefit Hydroid at the time. Enemies that Hydroid melee kills grant double the amount to his plunder meter. After 15 seconds of not being in combat, the Plunder meter slowly decays back to 0%.

PRIME DETAIL: Plunder meter appears with new graphic of a coin; when it fills the coin flips and a sting reminiscent of a musical shanty plays with the sound of a pirate crew cheers 'Yah!", "Ayyy!", "Haha!" or "Ho!"

Random Buffs:

Plunder Energy > Grants x/s Energy per second | More likely when Hydroid is low energy

Plunder Ferocity > Grants x% damage increase | More likely when Hydroid kills enemies

Plunder Loot > Grants x% loot drop chance | More likely when rare resources don't drop

Plunder Speed > Grants x% reload speed and attack speed | More likely when Hydroid performs melee combos

AUGMENT | Leviathan's Gifts - When the Plunder meter fills, a random assortment of pickups spawn around Hydroid (Health/Energy Orbs, Universal Ammunition)

PASSIVE 2 – When Hydroid doesn’t have a melee weapon equipped, he gets access to his signature weapon; Calypso the barnacle-encrusted sabre and Thalassa the accursed pistol, a unique combination reminiscent of gunblades and used in conjunction (Sword & Pistol count as one melee weapon). Moveset is akin to a swashbuckling mixture between swordplay and gunshots, focused on striking enemies with fast cleaves from Calypso and quick follow-ups from Thalassa.

PRIME DETAIL: Calypso encrusted with barnacles and drips water, Poneus has eyes that occassionaly blink and move.

She's a Fast Clipper Ship, and a Bully Good Crew, and an Ol' Good Yank for a Captain Too... - Santiana, Sea Shanty

Rains of Triton | 1st Ability

TAP - Hydroid unleashes a traveling wall of water in a line, pummeling enemies with Impact damage in the way and dragging them along the waves trajectory until the wave travels and subsides. If the wave slams into terrain, enemies caught by the wave take a high amount of Impact damage (300-1,500 Impact).

HOLD - Hydroid channels and charges this ability, increasing the radius of this ability up to a maximum. When cast, create a storm of chilled rain in an area around Hydroid gradually dealing Cold damage (80-320 Cold/s) with a 35% chance for status effects.

Leviathan's Command | 2nd Ability

Hydroid calls upon the leviathan to emboldens his allies for 10-25 seconds.

Allies gain immunity to status effects and gain a small amount of health and overshield regeneration as they kill enemies (.5%-3.5% max HP/Shi. /s per 10 kills to max. 5%-35%), the regeneration lasting for the duration of the ability. Ally kills contribute more to the Plunder meter while under the effects of Leviathan’s Command.

DETAIL: Hydroid flourishes and fires his pistol, Calypso, into the air as part of the casting.

Covetous Tithe | 3rd Ability

Hydroid beseeches the Leviathan, extending its influence through him and allies bolstered by Leviathan's Call. Nearby enemies in a radius around Hydroid (and allies affected by Leviathan's Call) are stunned for 2 seconds and have 20-60% of their armor and shields stripped. The Plunder meter fills for each enemy stripped.

Maelstrom | 4th Ability

Hydroid summons a portal-like whirlpool to Neptune, where the leviathan dwells. The whirlpool appears on a surface Hydroid is aiming at. As the Whirlpool appears, all enemies in the area are dragged towards the AoE centre and are subject to Impact damage (850-2,850 Impact) as tentacles rupture through the eye of the cyclical vortex. The Whirlpool remains for as long as Hydroid has this ability active, accruing a ramping energy cost to a maximum.

The whirlpool is a large radial effect of swirling void energy and raging water. Enemies within the area of the whirlpool take increasing True damage (Base 50-250 True damage ramping by 1.5% per second) as they are battered by the AoE.

Tentacles grapple enemies outside of the radius and throw them towards the center of the whirlpool. If the tentacles don’t have enemies to target and drag into the AoE, they instead lift random enemies within the radius and slam them back into the whirlpool, dealing Impact damage (500-950 Impact).

Ability Synergy: Rains of Triton interacts uniquely with the Maelstrom:

Walls of water dissipate along the edge of Maelstrom’s radius. Enemies within the wave are pulled into the center of the Maelstrom, taking the associated increased Impact damage.

The storm of brine swirls around the eye of the Maelstrom; randomly pelting the surrounding area with high-velocity watery spheres that deal high Corrosive damage (450-750 Corrosive) and ragdoll-stagger enemies to the ground.

15 hours ago, GrimUlkoves said:

Rains of Triton | 1st Ability

I really like the first part of this ability. It's really cool how it has a new effect when it hits a wall and I can see a funny interaction with Atlas because of this. The Hold is effectively just his original 1 so I don't care too much, albeit I do find it odd that its paired with this since they aren't related to each other. I do notice the slight visual change so now it isn't like cannon fire and that has me a tad disappointed.

Leviathan's Call | 2nd Ability

This feels weird to me because it kind of doesn't do anything, its effectively Titania but better and to a degree I am fine with that since granting allies Status immunity also exists with Oberon. I would personally think that the ability shouldn't grant Ability Strength and just have the augment be part of the base effect. I don't see a requirement for an augment to exist for every ability and additionally whenever I think of a good augment I think of one that actually changes how you would use that ability such as some of Equinoxes Augments(Duality).

Tithe | 3rd Ability

I don't like this ability either, mostly because I don't care about Credits at all since the Index exists. Its also just a static stat booster so there's no active or interesting uses with this ability.

Maelstrom | 4th Ability

This ability seems cool, big giant AOE attack that sucks everyone in as a monster bursts forth from the center. Very fitting and very useful

Overall I like this, the passive is definitely what stood out the most to me when reading. I definitely have some ideas myself as you've inspired me a good deal on how to delve deeper as a pirate, just keep rolling on

Thanks for the feedback!

I definitely agree with your ideas, there was a few other ideas I had:

Rains of Triton - I personally liked the rain aspect, but another idea I had that might be 100% more fitting would be either turning the rain into a cannon barrage around/at a point of his choice (Very similar to his current ability). The other idea was charging a riptide-esque shockwave that throws enemies towards Hydroid in a watery vortex. I definitely wanted to add armor strip to his first ability, not to make him "meta", but to make him useful in higher level situations where the high amount of CC in his kit would need to be coupled with abilities that make him more useful than simply just a farming frame (Although adding armor strip would make him super viable, as it's a valuable thing to have in the meta in-general).

Leviathan's Call - From the frames I play, I really like having abilities that give my allies a good power-up or boost, which definitely played into the design here. I wholeheartedly agree, and I think the ramping Power Strength would make a good potential augment while simultaneously making the ability feel a little more interactive. I have a few ideas there, such as making it to where enemies who damage allies are stunned for a few seconds as they get smacked by a retaliatory leviathan tendril. Definitely I want to keep the essence of this ability, but mayhaps a few ideas on how to make it truly fulfill the fantasy of "Call upon an eldritch ancient" and "Pirate captain commands allies".

Tithe - I know there's something else I could do with this ability as I really do like including the aspect of "Picking up credits gives a boon", but the closest I got was giving extra armor. If you (Or anyone else) has any ideas, I'm open to it! I think there's something unique to the idea of Tithe, but it would need a ton of refinement and spitballing.

Maelstrom - It's a cool lil guy who just wants tentacle hugs :)

• 2 months later...

Hello again! After a few months of thought, I've come to another version of my own homemade recipe for a Hydroid rework. This time around, I decided to make the following changes to my idea:

• With a focus on providing bonuses to allies, Hydroid's abilities should have synergy with each other without making one ability feel underwhelming. Spreading the love between abilities while making each one feel impactful will help Hydroid achieve his full potential.
  • Hydroid doesn't need a lot of bonuses to feel good; his abilities should only be complex enough to entice rewarding gameplay through game knowledge while also being simple enough to effectively play without much at all.

So with that in-mind, the following has been re-thought:

The spoiler below is old design; look to my original post for an updated design & philosophy!

Spoiler

Rains of Triton | 1st Ability

TAP - Hydroid unleashes a traveling wall of water in a line, pummeling enemies with Impact damage in the way and dragging them along the waves trajectory until the wave travels and subsides. If the wave slams into terrain, enemies caught by the wave take a high amount of Impact damage.

HOLD - Hydroid channels and charges this ability, increasing the radius of this ability up to a maximum. When cast, create a storm of brine in an area around Hydroid, slowing enemies underneath his storm, gradually dealing Corrosive damage with a chance for status effects.

Changes: This ability no longer armor strips; the tap ability provides enough utility and fun mechanical identity without needing another effect. The hold ability now applies Corrosive status, effectively providing armor strip (And arguably, the status effect is much better and more more sense).

Leviathan's Command | 2nd Ability (Changed from Leviathan's Call)

Hydroid calls upon the leviathan to emboldens his allies for a duration.

Allies gain immunity to status effects and gain a small amount of health and overshield regeneration when they kill an enemy, the regeneration lasting for the duration of the ability. Ally kills contribute more to the Plunder meter while under the effects of Leviathan’s Call.

Changes: This ability provides a tidy and effective buff without sacrificing its previous power; previously the granted Ability Strength was a little too *direct of a powerful buff* while not providing anything interesting. I liked the idea of granting a powerful defensive bonus, and thus I looked to double-down on the idea of Hydroid being a supportive pirate captain!

Tithe/Covet | 3rd Ability

TAP – Hydroid beckons a target to be sacrificed to the Leviathan. The marked target must be eligible for a Mercy kill. The target is sacrificed, becoming executed immediately and dropping guaranteed universal health/energy orbs. 
Detail: When executed, the target becomes wreathed by a tentacle from underneath and is pulled into a watery portal.

HOLD – Hydroid channels abyssal power through him, draining a substantial amount of energy while channeling. Hydroid is immune to damage while this ability is channeled; during this time, all enemies around Hydroid are buffeted by void-ridden tentacles that rapidly strips their shields and armor. After this ability ends, Hydroid is given a scaling portion of the stripped armor and shields as a weapon damage buff and the Plunder meter. While channeling, Hydroid can move at a reduced speed.

Ability Synergy: Allies under the effects of Leviathan’s Call gain the effects of Covet; in this case effectively granting invulnerability for the channel time and causing the armor stripping to be channeled through allies as well.

Changes: The previous version of this ability had identity, but was hardly functional. This version of the ability provides two useful benefits that both drastically add onto his thematic and mechanical identity of Hydroid while also providing a powerful synergy.

Maelstrom | 4th Ability

Hydroid summons a portal-like whirlpool to Neptune, where the leviathan dwells. The whirlpool appears on a surface Hydroid is aiming at. As the Whirlpool appears, all enemies in the area are dragged towards the AoE centre and are subject to Impact damage as tentacles rupture through the eye of the cyclical vortex. The Whirlpool remains for as long as Hydroid has this ability active. 

The whirlpool is a large radial effect of swirling void energy and raging water. Enemies within the area of the whirlpool take increasing True damage as they are battered by the AoE.

Tentacles grapple enemies outside of the radius and throw them towards the center of the whirlpool. If the tentacles don’t have enemies to target and drag into the AoE, they instead lift random enemies within the radius and slam them back into the whirlpool, dealing Impact damage. 

Ability Synergy: Rains of Triton interacts uniquely with the Maelstrom:

Walls of water dissipate along the edge of Maelstrom’s radius. Enemies within the wave are pulled into the center of the Maelstrom, taking the associated increased Impact damage.

The storm of brine swirls around the eye of the Maelstrom; randomly pelting the surrounding area with high-velocity watery spheres that deal high Corrosive damage and ragdoll-stagger enemies to the ground.

Changes: Seeing as Tithe now provides assured universal drops, Maelstrom lost its ability to provide drops on kill. However, Maelstrom now provides a unique ability synergy with Rains of Triton, creating a playstyle centered around the area-control provided by Maelstrom.

@GrimUlkoves

Want to make sure I understand you're intentions with the rework. Are you trying to give him a new role, a new ability kit, or are you trying to just improve on what the devs came up with? Second question, what are you aiming for this rework to become based on these categories: survivability, damage, CC, team heals, team buff, debuffer, Team Utility? If you can assign a number from 0 to 3 for the categories your focusing on then that should give me a better idea of what you'd like to do.

I made a rework myself for Inaros and had to scrap the first two versions of the proposal. So kudos to you for being flexible and trying to keep refining this thing instead of flipping out on the previous comments from the community.

Have you considered at any point not disappointing the current Hydroid fans? Just wondering if you're taking their thoughts into consideration too. I'm a stickler for respecting the fans of a frame and not betraying their investment.

I like the idea of your 2nd versions 4. I was thinking about it last night and it could be cool. Then, I saw the Devstream today and realized they gave something very mechanically similar to Yareli in her rework as her 4. So that was unfortunate lol. Still cool you thought of it.

5 hours ago, bangarang35 said:

@GrimUlkoves

Want to make sure I understand you're intentions with the rework. Are you trying to give him a new role, a new ability kit, or are you trying to just improve on what the devs came up with? Second question, what are you aiming for this rework to become based on these categories: survivability, damage, CC, team heals, team buff, debuffer, Team Utility? If you can assign a number from 0 to 3 for the categories your focusing on then that should give me a better idea of what you'd like to do.

I made a rework myself for Inaros and had to scrap the first two versions of the proposal. So kudos to you for being flexible and trying to keep refining this thing instead of flipping out on the previous comments from the community.

Have you considered at any point not disappointing the current Hydroid fans? Just wondering if you're taking their thoughts into consideration too. I'm a stickler for respecting the fans of a frame and not betraying their investment.

I like the idea of your 2nd versions 4. I was thinking about it last night and it could be cool. Then, I saw the Devstream today and realized they gave something very mechanically similar to Yareli in her rework as her 4. So that was unfortunate lol. Still cool you thought of it.

Hi! My vision for Hydroid was actually detailed in the first part of my post; but I'll outline it simply here. I essentially wanted to make Hydroid play and feel like a plundering pirate captain, giving his team buffs while also controlling the battlefield with the Leviathan. I don't really agree with a point system that assigns attributes to Warframes, but I would describe my proposal as a rework towards team buffs, team utility, and CC.

In terms of appealing to Hydroid fans I have greatly considered the fact, and in terms of design I didn't want to betray how Hydroid currently. However, I also believe thoroughly that Hydroid current kit is very, very underwhelming and poorly services his gameplay fantasies. I attempted to keep a lot of Hydroids uniqueness in his kit throughout my proposal, including keeping his 4th ability reminiscent of his current version. Personally, I believe Hydroid is quintessentially unusable in his current state and I hope that people who love Hydroid can see the attempt I'm making to make him feel good.

Lastly, yeh Yareli has a 4th similar in identity to my proposal's 4th; I won't change it though. In-fact, I kind of think that maybe there could be a sort of synergy between Yareli and Hydroid, and I don't think of it as a bad thing. Mechanically, Maelstrom is an 'Appear and Stay' to wreak havoc and provide area control while Yareli deploys an AoE nuke that pulls enemies into its center. I think it would be different enough; might need a slight change to make sure both abilities would serviceably work together.

2 hours ago, GrimUlkoves said:

I would describe my proposal as a rework towards team buffs, team utility, and CC.

Your version 2's 4th ability does true damage which would include the damage category as a high priority I assume considering this damage move is your Ultimate. Your moves have corrosive procs built into them too so that brings the debuff category into the mix as well. Some of your abilities heal the team so that means the team healing category is included now as well. You also have an ability that must be held for it to continue working and Hydroid is invincible the whole time which means he now has the survivability category in there now too. So you have all 7 categories going into this frame.

This was a very creative design on your part. It's mechanically solid and it was entertaining to read. This Hydroid would be all over the place though. He has no cons. I'm not sure where the balance comes into this. Think of the term "glass cannon". It implies you're great at one thing but  terrible at another because that creates balance. I don't think this is balanced right now. What are your Hydroid's cons? What is he terrible at? It's ok for him to be great at 1 or 2 things, but he can't be decent or good at everything. He has to be bad or terrible in a few areas. You may need to prioritize which of the 7 categories you want to keep in his base kit. The other categories could be added or swapped out in the form of augment mods. 

I'm trying to give you honest feedback without being rude and without just telling you what you want to hear. I encountered this same issue during my rework which is why I had to come up with the point model. It was a good tool to clearly outline the boundaries and intention of the rework prior to creating the abilities. Once I did that, most of my critics started to say my rework is way better and really good. You don't have to use the model if you're just against it for some reason, but you will need to find a way to establish consistent balance in your proposal. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how creative a proposal may be because it will be rejected by devs and players for being unbalanced and broken.

On 2022-11-29 at 2:33 AM, bangarang35 said:

Your version 2's 4th ability does true damage which would include the damage category as a high priority I assume considering this damage move is your Ultimate. Your moves have corrosive procs built into them too so that brings the debuff category into the mix as well. Some of your abilities heal the team so that means the team healing category is included now as well. You also have an ability that must be held for it to continue working and Hydroid is invincible the whole time which means he now has the survivability category in there now too. So you have all 7 categories going into this frame.

This was a very creative design on your part. It's mechanically solid and it was entertaining to read. This Hydroid would be all over the place though. He has no cons. I'm not sure where the balance comes into this. Think of the term "glass cannon". It implies you're great at one thing but  terrible at another because that creates balance. I don't think this is balanced right now. What are your Hydroid's cons? What is he terrible at? It's ok for him to be great at 1 or 2 things, but he can't be decent or good at everything. He has to be bad or terrible in a few areas. You may need to prioritize which of the 7 categories you want to keep in his base kit. The other categories could be added or swapped out in the form of augment mods. 

I'm trying to give you honest feedback without being rude and without just telling you what you want to hear. I encountered this same issue during my rework which is why I had to come up with the point model. It was a good tool to clearly outline the boundaries and intention of the rework prior to creating the abilities. Once I did that, most of my critics started to say my rework is way better and really good. You don't have to use the model if you're just against it for some reason, but you will need to find a way to establish consistent balance in your proposal. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how creative a proposal may be because it will be rejected by devs and players for being unbalanced and broken.

Thanks for keeping up with the thread, it actually means quite a bit to me. I can see what you mean, and after a day of thinking I have come to the conclusion (With the help of your personal scaling tables) that there's a few places where I could shore up my design. I do feel as if there's a few things I want to clear up that might've not come through in text but were already in-mind:

• Maelstrom does deal True damage, but would ultimately deal a low yield amount of damage similar to Hydroid's current Tentacle Swarm, of which also deals True damage. The damage, in my mind, would be in the realm of 100-400~ True damage a second within the Maelstrom, scaling by a percentage per second while within the radius. The damage is effectively low enough to not be considered a high-damaging nuke but it'd still be capable of softening targets even in higher levels of play, which is ultimately the goal.
  • Tithe/Covet was definitely overtuned, and I think I would remove the survivability and tap part of the ability and just keep the shield/armor strip in a radius around Hydroid and anyone affected by Leviathan's Call. Rename the ability to Covetous Tithe and add something onto the ability such as a momentary stun (Maybe opening them to finishers) and leave it at that. It'd be a very good supportive ability while also keeping it simple.

If I had to identify weaknesses, I would absolutely want to say that my Hydroid would struggle in single player and in situations where his buffs can't actively ramp. He'd be best suited for longevity rather than in bursts, making him preferable in Defense and Survival but leaving him with very little when in Capture or Exterminate. And if there's little chance for Hydroid to keep the body count up, most of his abilities will fall flat as their design demands that Hydroid be in the middle of combat w/ his allies. And of course, removing survivability from his kit will leave him fairly squishy as I would imagine his current statistics would remain much the same, leaving him in a middle ground of health/shields and middling armor, of which will not leave him much room for error in single player; making him best when in groups where his buffs/debuffs/CC can be utilized by his teammates.

I'll go ahead and update my original post with my new proposals; hopefully you find my reasoning agreeable and can see my vision from there :)

Glad to hear the model helped you a bit. I can tell just from going through it that you've been working on the balancing. It looks better already.

On 2022-09-17 at 1:11 PM, GrimUlkoves said:

PASSIVE 2 – When Hydroid doesn’t have a melee weapon equipped, he gets access to his signature weapons Calypso the barnacle-encrusted sabre and Thalassa the accursed pistol. Moveset is akin to a mixture between Swords and Gunblades, focused on a fighting style reminiscent of swashbuckling and flourishes between sword and pistol.

Question: what happens to your secondary in this if those exalted weapons are equipped? You said if a melee weapon is not equipped then he gets the pistol and sabre. I'm assuming that pistol is a secondary. Remember you didn't say that you had to unequip the secondary slot for the pistol to appear. Just based on how this reads, it would imply you may have 2 secondary weapons equipped. You might just need to clarify your full intent there.

On 2022-11-27 at 10:40 PM, GrimUlkoves said:

HOLD – Hydroid channels abyssal power through him, draining a substantial amount of energy while channeling. Hydroid is immune to damage while this ability is channeled;

How long does it take him to channel this? couple of seconds? more than 7 seconds?

Did a review of where your kit is in terms of balancing. Looks like you're currently dabbling in 5 of the 7 categories on the model: Damage, CC, Team Heals, Buffs, Debuffs. Assuming you were sticking with the 7 point allocation system, you could get away with this and he could have 1 high performing category while the rest are bad or 2 moderate performing categories while the rest are bad. You might still have a little too much in his base kit. Remember you can use augments. Augments are there to add different gameplay styles to a frame. If you check out his current augments, his team heals, debuffs (corrosive/armor strip), and team utility loot capabilities all come from augments. Just throwing it out there as a suggestion. If you have less categories in the base kit though, then it means you can have better abilities in the base kit. So do you plan to make him a jack of all trades or a specialist of just a few categories. Jack of all trades might be ok at many things but a frame that specializes in a few things is far more skilled in those few categories.

Good synergy between your 1 and 4 though. Really cool idea. I like that part.

18 hours ago, bangarang35 said:

Question: what happens to your secondary in this if those exalted weapons are equipped? You said if a melee weapon is not equipped then he gets the pistol and sabre. I'm assuming that pistol is a secondary. Remember you didn't say that you had to unequip the secondary slot for the pistol to appear. Just based on how this reads, it would imply you may have 2 secondary weapons equipped. You might just need to clarify your full intent there.

The sabre & pistol are combined into the melee slot, not separate! In my mind, the functionality of the pair would work mechanically identical to gunblades, with melee flourishes leading into shots from the pistol. Think like the Redeemer, but instead of being a gunblade Hydroid gets a unique swashbuckling melee style. I'll update the post for clarity on this!

How long does it take him to channel this? couple of seconds? more than 7 seconds?

Look to the first post of the sub; I updated the design from there! That ability would no longer have the invincibility channel, instead just being an instantaneous tap-and-forget stun.

Remember you can use augments. Augments are there to add different gameplay styles to a frame. If you check out his current augments, his team heals, debuffs (corrosive/armor strip), and team utility loot capabilities all come from augments. Just throwing it out there as a suggestion.

I actually did want to start applying augments, but after some thorough thought I figured it best to make a solid base for the kit and then make augments if I can get around to a good game balance. Start by building a strong foundation first and then start adding the extras, y'know?

As always, thanks for keeping such a close eye on my sub, I greatly appreciate it :)

Archived