Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Feedback] The New War (Spoilers Hidden)

Jathniel

Firstly, a brief preface.
I'm a long time Warframe player. Mostly casual. I play for a few months, and disappear for a few months. I've been playing since the Grineer spoke English ("Kill em.")
And that's what I think you guys did with The New War chapter... you #*!%ing killed it.
It. Was. Awesome.
This old time player thanks you.

*****Spoilers Below. Final warning.*****

Spoiler

What I loved?
Nearly all of it.
The loss of Teshin was sudden, jarring, and disturbingly unceremonious. That was when I knew S#&$ got real.
This story chapter had shock factor. Frustration. Fear. Triumph. You suspended my disbelief. I felt vulnerable without my Warframe, and other tools. And I LOVED it. I loved using the Drifter operator, and I like how the Drifter was tied into the story. And I would love to see the cause and existence of the Drifter expanded on.
After playing through it, and getting the Warframe back... it was like BREATHING again! idk what to compare it to. It felt like being Goku overcoming the heart disease, and becoming Super Saiyan again. lol You really FELT the gravity of the situation in the Origin System. You understood how much was lost. You really learned to appreciate using your Warframe!

And after getting the Warframe back, I was determined to kick Ballas' ass. But... that last fight showed that Ballas didn't initially beat you and and the Lotus on a fluke. He was literally more powerful than you and the Lotus. A truly fearsome mark. And not just any mark, because I imagine for some people, there was an element of parallel drama to it that hit home. Especially in the realm of domestic violence. You watched mom and dad have a fight, and there was very little that you could do to help mom win, much less survive.
Hence, I will add desperation to the list of emotions I felt as I played. It became brutally obvious that Ballas was a threat, that completely outclassed Warframe technology. ALL offensive, defensive, and evasive measures failed, hard. By design of course, but in the context of the story, this is a fearsome revelation.
And that big... ENTITY... at the end, that Space Mom kept at bay... tells me that there are even bigger fish in the pond than Ballas. This is NOT good news. Ballas has shown the limits of Warframe technology, and we are NOT prepared to face whatever is coming next...
This has me eagerly anticipating future chapters of Warframe's story.

What I did NOT like?
The satisfied, and yet empty, feeling when it was over and I was just standing there on my ship. lol
But seriously no, I did have some disappointment that all the Drifter abilities were gone. The reason being, I have always neglected using my Operator. As much as I liked the Plains of Eidolon expansion, I've always found it to be too much of a chore to farm Eidolons for the needed things to improve Operator's gear. And unlocking abilities for the Operator was always just as boring and tedious. Mostly because I play alone. Like I said, I'm shamefully casual now (Big career guy and all that BS). SO, having a freebie useful Operator that was fun to use, would've been nice.

Also, don't do something dramatic like seemingly DESTROY Ordis, or IMPALE Space Mom but then show that they're actually totally fine. That's really cheap shock factor, and it sucks.
I found it strange that no one said anything about Teshin's death. So again, if he IS alive, be mindful of doing those weird shock value "deathblows" that aren't actually deathblows. If you don't intend to kill a main character, you can do dramatic "torture strikes" instead. Like running a sword under a main character's collar bone, or through a shoulder. Something not necessarily fatal, but punishingly borderline.
Stories and characters matter more, when Death matters.

-----

Thank you, to the DE staff and development team.
Thank you, to the entire voice acting cast.
Thank you, to everyone that contributed this truly

4 hours ago, Jathniel said:

What I loved? Nearly all of it. The loss of Teshin was sudden, jarring, and disturbingly unceremonious.

This story chapter had shock factor. Frustration. Fear. Triumph. You suspended my disbelief. I felt vulnerable without my Warframe, and other tools. And I LOVED it. I loved using the Drifter operator, and I like how the Drifter was tied into the story.

Absolutely. The "death" of the Operator, and the system-wide changes that followed it, brought on a level of uncertainty and dread that I have not felt in a very long time, at least not as the result of a video game. It is my understanding, or at least a loosely held belief, that the Operator and the Lotus are two of, if not the most powerful beings in the System. (and I'm sure that statement is entirely debatable, but stick with me for a second.) So to watch them both immediately die, we can just say, is not a good feeling. Much less when one's death isn't necessarily a result of the other's actions, as the trailers and hype had led me to expect.

The closest analogy I can think of to what I'm attempting to describe is that feeling you get in Jurassic Park when you realize the T-rex, the velociraptors, etc. has escaped. The Operator's absence completely opens the doors for Ballas and Erra to do with the System as they please, and they are completely aware of this. Beyond the immediate threat, there's also a deeper implication that other figures like the Worm Queen or Parvos Granum could now return with some massive force at any moment, and "we" would have no power to do anything about it.

And after getting the Warframe back, I was determined to kick Ballas' ass. But... that last fight showed that Ballas didn't initially beat you and and the Lotus on a fluke. He was literally more powerful than you and the Lotus. A truly fearsome mark. And not just any mark, because I imagine for some people, there was an element of parallel drama to it that hit home. Especially in the realm of domestic violence. You watched mom and dad have a fight, and there was very little that you could do to help mom win, much less survive.

Yes, I saw that as well. I won't go into detail about it on this forum, but I certainly see what you are getting at.

And that big... ENTITY... at the end, that Space Mom kept at bay... tells me that there are even bigger fish in the pond than Ballas. This is NOT good news. Ballas has shown the limits of Warframe technology, and we are NOT prepared to face whatever is coming next... This has me eagerly anticipating future chapters of Warframe's story.

Whether or not they intended to, DE has really opened the doors for themselves in terms of where they may decide to take the story in the future.

Eternalism is great. I know many view the "multiverse" concept as being cheap and unoriginal, but I do think it fits well within the context of Warframe. This is a sci-fi game, after all, and I do believe DE has made a reasonable effort to approach the idea of a multiverse in a way that is unique, and more importantly, not entirely broken.

If Eternalism is used in moderation, I think it will benefit the writing greatly going forward. It is also an opportunity to fix existing plot holes and discrepancies, one that DE will almost certainly want to take advantage of.

I won't argue that The New War is a perfect FILM quest, because it isn't, but it's certainly up there.

• 2 weeks later...

Counterpoint: There was a lot about this on the conceptual level that was hot garbage.

The weapon that was supposed to be so important? We didn't use it at all. The only time it had any notable use was when Ballas was stabbing someone (like us) with it. We nearly killed him in Umbra and then he's just arbitrarily gone from that to a god. Right.

We had glorified fetch quests that basically let someone go from almost dead and needing us to even exist... to completely casually outclassing us.

It was just an abusive relationship and domestic violence between "mommy" and "daddy" with us as the helpless child in the equation. We did essentially nothing beyond the space equivalent of getting "mom" aspirin. 

And then we got protected from the Terrible Secret of Space. 

At no time did we feel in any way powerful. The entire quest chain kicked us down and kept us down. I fail to see how we were in any way a threat to the Sentient.

On 2022-09-21 at 10:33 PM, Jathniel said:

you #*!%ing killed it.

I have to agree, but probably not in the way you meant it. New War has completely killed this game for me. After nearly 2K hours of game time, I am probably going to just uninstall, and might have them delete my account so I am not tempted to waste my time coming back later.

I get wanting to try new styles of game play and fight mechanics. I get wanting to make difficult fights. But when you take the story and make it so once you start I CANNOT DO ANY OTHER CONTENT, and then FORCE ME to do your boss fights using mechanics that aren't what I have been learning the whole rest of the game, why would I bother? As it stands I have no way to check out the newest content or do seasonal events because the game wants me to bash my head against the archons for another several hours.

It's actually very doable. You just have to realize you're a weakling and constantly be retreating and healing and such while shooting them whenever you can. Boss fights turn into alternating between kiting and killing adds, basically.

There's instructional YouTube videos, just automatically skip about a minute into it to get past the apparently obligatory "Wut up blahblah" at the start. 

• 2 months later...

I am playing on Playstation5 trying to get through the new war & am Struggling against the archons. I cant stay healed enough with the resources given. I want to be able to complete this quest but it is too difficult with my arthritis & my playstyle. I would appreciate it if some changes were made to the fights for example. Allow the damage wea deal to them to persist after we die , checkpoints in the boss fight , ,eliminating cooldowns on the abilities while using the "drifter" disabling the archon's ability to heal up. I would also really love to be able to use my warframe for the fights & mod my gear so that I can adapt to better handle them. It is also very difficult to dodge or anticipate attacks with my horrible vision & arthritis. these encounters are in severe need of an easy mode. For players who want a challenge a version of the archon fights similar to a sortie would achieve it but keep it separate from the main story quest of the New War.
I mainly went into this quest because I wanted the new weapons from it & was especially looking forward to the new Tenno Housing that I had heard about in a devstream a while back.

Archived