Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Understanding Armor

(XBOX)DarkMaster0127

Question

So I would like to begin this with the request to NOT bring frames like Frost or others that have a positive benefit from armor mods.

I'd like to understand what exactly the armor does. For example Valkyr Prime has 700 base armor at LV30. That 700 armor reduces damage to health by 70%. Why is it that when I put on a max rank Steel Fiber the damage reduction to health stays at 70%?  I pushed the armor stat all the way to 3000+ and the damage reduction to health was STILL at 70%. What the hell does armor value truly mean if the increase isn't yielding any result to the damage mitigation on our health? 

9 answers to this question

It sounds like it may be a bug of some sort?

With Steel Fiber, your DR should be ~83%, up from 70%. If you really aren't getting those values in-game (especially in-mission), it smells like a roach. And not the good kind.

It may be worth checking other Warframes, especially ones with lower armour values who could really notice flat armour increases like Tanker or Health Conversion.

4 hours ago, (XBOX)DarkMaster0127 said:

That 700 armor reduces damage to health by 70%.

This is Definitely Not How Armor Works 👀....

4 hours ago, (XBOX)DarkMaster0127 said:

Why is it that when I put on a max rank Steel Fiber the damage reduction to health stays at 70%? I pushed the armor stat all the way to 3000+ and the damage reduction to health was STILL at 70%.

Where exactly do you see that it's 70% ? 🤔....

Oh.... You can see that Armor Damage Reduction by Hovering over the UI Element.... Crap... I didn't Know That 👀....

In Any Case.... Armor makes for a Terrible Method of Reducing Damage after a Certain Point (500 from my Experience).... And this is Only Made Worse if you Get Afflicted with a Heat Status Effect that just outright Deletes 50% of your Armor Temporarily.....

If you want Real damage Reduction... Use Abilities that Specifically Do exactly That like Splinter Storm and Warding Halo....

As far as the Helminth Goes... Nova's First Ability is the only One that Gives Damage Reduction to Any Warframe.... Unfortunately This Only Works on Health and requires 300% Duration to Get Full Benefit and Can Not Be Recasted hence your Actual Damage Reduction is going to Fluctuate Based on How Many Balls You Have 👀.....

On 2022-09-23 at 2:53 AM, (NSW)Joewoof said:

It does work, it just so happens that the game's UI is notoriously buggy, especially for the Arsenal. Like others said, try exiting and entering that screen again, so that the values update.

Ah that would explain it. I have been pondering over it for weeks and it never occurred to me that DE can't get the UI correct for consoles. (Maybe even PC) so thank ya for that.

On 2022-09-23 at 3:26 AM, Lutesque said:

This is Definitely Not How Armor Works 👀....

Where exactly do you see that it's 70% ? 🤔....

Oh.... You can see that Armor Damage Reduction by Hovering over the UI Element.... Crap... I didn't Know That 👀....

In Any Case.... Armor makes for a Terrible Method of Reducing Damage after a Certain Point (500 from my Experience).... And this is Only Made Worse if you Get Afflicted with a Heat Status Effect that just outright Deletes 50% of your Armor Temporarily.....

If you want Real damage Reduction... Use Abilities that Specifically Do exactly That like Splinter Storm and Warding Halo....

As far as the Helminth Goes... Nova's First Ability is the only One that Gives Damage Reduction to Any Warframe.... Unfortunately This Only Works on Health and requires 300% Duration to Get Full Benefit and Can Not Be Recasted hence your Actual Damage Reduction is going to Fluctuate Based on How Many Balls You Have 👀.....

I do wanna thank you for the damage reduction video, however that wasnt my problem. Damage mitigation is what it is and I try not to complain there.  I was more concerned that I wasnt seeing the value change when equipping armor mods. Of course, somebody shared with me that the UI doesnt properly update unless you leave the menu and enter in once again.

On 2022-09-22 at 10:57 PM, Tyreaus said:

It sounds like it may be a bug of some sort?

With Steel Fiber, your DR should be ~83%, up from 70%. If you really aren't getting those values in-game (especially in-mission), it smells like a roach. And not the good kind.

It may be worth checking other Warframes, especially ones with lower armour values who could really notice flat armour increases like Tanker or Health Conversion.

You are absolutely correct in the numbers. Unfortunately the issue was UI wasn't updating after mod inputs. Somebody recommended that I try to leave the upgrade menu and re enter, and sure enough that was the case. I honestly overlooked that possibility and didn't even consider that.  

On 2022-09-23 at 2:53 AM, (NSW)Joewoof said:

It does work, it just so happens that the game's UI is notoriously buggy, especially for the Arsenal. Like others said, try exiting and entering that screen again, so that the values update.

The ONE thing that never occurred to me. I was so ready to believe that Armor was a useless stat until you said that. smh disappointed in myself for that. Thank you for the knowledge

2 hours ago, (XBOX)DarkMaster0127 said:

I do wanna thank you for the damage reduction video, however that wasnt my problem. Damage mitigation is what it is and I try not to complain there.  I was more concerned that I wasnt seeing the value change when equipping armor mods. Of course, somebody shared with me that the UI doesnt properly update unless you leave the menu and enter in once again.

Yep.... You have to take Warframe's UI with a Grain Of Salt.... It's only 50% Reliable ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Another Example is how Some Aura Mods don't Update in the UI at all...

Archived