Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Loki Rework Idea

ReverseKinetix

Edit: At the behest of the comments below and mine agreement with them, I have changed how the frame works and turned it into a new frame idea posted here. I urge you to read that instead since I believe it to be a better representation of what I was going for with this rework. 

I think Loki is in a meh place at the moment. He can do the do, but he can't do the do good if that makes any sense. This is mostly because he has slowly become outdated/outperformed by other frames. So I have spent a bit of time mulling over potential changes he can receive.

Passive: Poker Face - Loki has four lies that he tells when in certain circumstances. When he feels safe, when making pleasantries, when mocking, and when necessary. Each lie has its own affect.

Lie One: Safety - Any damage Loki receives has a 10% chance to be negated and reflected for 3 seconds to any enemy who attacks Loki during this time. Reflected damage staggers the target. (only works against fodder enemies - i.e. not archons/angels/liches/sisters/eximus/eidolons/orb mothers)

Lie Two: Pleasantries - On hit, 10% chance to reduce 50% of incoming damage for 3 seconds (50% damage reduction when active)

Lie Three: Mockery - 10% chance for all enemy damage to be converted into health and shields for 3 seconds

Lie Four: Necessity - On hit, 10% chance to for Loki to do double damage for 3 seconds

All Lies have unique icons/symbols above his ability bar (Titania and Chroma style). These symbols are dull when inactive, but light up when the respective lie is activated. 

Every time a "Lie" activates, Loki becomes invisible until his next action (i.e. attacking or using abilities)

- Each 10% chance has its own separate roll meaning for every instance of damage, four rolls at 1/10 odds happen for every perk of the passive. This means it is possible to have all 4 activate at once (1/10^4 = 1/10000 odds or 0.0001% of this happening) or none activate (roughly a 65% chance). Yes, the passive is strong, but it has too much rng involved in it to be anything more than a nice bonus. My intentions here are to make it fit thematically while still being useful.

First Ability: Aces - Headshots done while this ability is active while guarantee one of four outcomes depending on the weapon used. Base 25 second duration, scales with duration mods. It is recastable. Each ability proc will have their respective buff symbol show (hearts, diamonds, spades, clubs) next to the health bar where other buffs are shown.

Rifles, the ace of hearts, ramp-up damage on continual headshots up to 100% more damage (final damage multiplier, modified with power strength), not landing a headshot within 5 seconds (modifiable with power duration) will reset the bonus damage to 10%.

- Now that AoE can't headshot, this will give single-target rifles an edge when used by Loki who will be able to increase the damage to similar, possibly even higher levels than eclipse/roar/xata's while needing more work and upkeep as a trade-off. 

Snipers, the ace of diamonds, every headshot increases the damage done by 25% up to a max of 150% damage (final damage multiplier, modified with power strength). This decays by the same amount for every missed shot but stays active even if the ability expires (shooting when the ability is inactive will cause the buff to be lost. This is only here to prevent losing the buff during down time when you might not need it since snipers are so niche). 

- Snipers are criminally underutilized at the moment. This is simply because snipers, while doing a lot of damage, can only target one enemy at a time. The thinking here is to make a snipers a pocket "screw that enemy specifically" weapon that can be used to delete demolysts, eximus, or whatever else without feeling penalized for taking such a weapon into general play.

Shotguns, the ace of spades, every headshot (only one pellet/damage done to the head needed to proc) will increase both fire rate and reload speed for shotguns up to double (modifiable by strength) the final, modded fire rate and reload speed.

- Shotguns do enough damage already, so more would just be overkill. What a lot of shotguns struggle with is mod capacity because of the general need to slot reload and fire rate into most builds. This ability gives you the option to forgo those mods should you so choose, or to take fire rate and reload speed to another level by stacking the ability buff with those mods.

Secondaries, the ace of clubs, headshots with secondaries will increase flat/additive critical chance and status chance by 5% up to a max of 50% (modifiable by strength). The bonus is not affected by equipped mods.

- A simple buff here. It gives the option for DPS secondary builds or to take different primers if you wish. In general pistols are hard to make work for DPS without armor stripping since the most reliable form of scaling comes from Hemorrhage or innate slash weighting with high status. By giving a built-in critical and status buff, you now have the option to drop those related mods for things to fix slash weighting or add utility mods or more elements.

Augment One: Lucky Ace - When casting the ability, Loki has a 100% chance to instantly max any of the four buffs. A buff maxed this way cannot be lost until recasting upon which the buffs are chosen again.

- The augment speaks for itself in efficacy. Only downside is that the chosen buff would be random and not always the one you need/want. Still, not needing to get the headshots for upkeep will be attractive enough for people to use this augment without being mandatory.

Augment Two: Four of a Kind - Any headshot now procs all buffs at 25% efficacy, unaffected by power strength - the 25% efficacy cannot be affected by power strength, the buffs themselves are still affected by strength. This will let you get the secondary buff on primaries, shotgun buff on snipers, etc. which is why it is hard capped at only a fourth of the value for each buff. AoE weapons can be buffed by headshots from a different weapons. Primary headshots give the buffs to secondary AoE and vice-versa. This is another reason for the 25% potency cap.

- All of the respective buffs are useful for all weapon types. Since this is the case, one might want all the buffs on their weapon, but that would be OP. Instead, you can still get those buffs just at 1/4th of the buffs potential had you not used this augment.

Second Ability: Trickster - When this ability is active, enemies become confused and fail to accurately target Loki. All damage inflicted to Loki is halved (50% damage reduction, modifiable with power strength up to a max of 90%) This is a drain ability, but only consumes energy when damage is inflicted to Loki since he will also be invisible periodically thanks to his passive making him unlikely to be targeted. This is his new helminth, capped at 75% damage reduction when subsumed.

- So why damage reduction? Well, Loki now relies on being hit to proc his passive, so it makes sense to give Loki a way to survive those hits outside of just shield gating. I understand that damage reduction falls off in endurance, but hold your horses and pitchforks until you see his ultimate ability please. As to why this is the new subsume? Well, we have a shockingly low number of good defensive options for helminth. Defy, Elemental Ward, and Null Star are all meh for survivability since it only works for health, and Eclipse is too inconsistent. To me it makes sense to give a capped 75% damage reduction to frames who want it since, once again, damage reduction falls off at later levels anyway.

Augment: Masterful Deceit - When Trickster is active, you are immune to status effects. Exilus mod slot.

- A nice bonus to go along with the damage reduction. Also works as a replacement for Primed Sure Footed since it will prevent knockdowns and staggers while being an exilus mod.

Third Ability: Warp - Loki selects a destination and steps through reality to arrive there. An animation of Loki falling through an ethereal portal beneath his feet before arriving at the place he was looking on cast, the animation can be sped up with casting speed mods and shards. He becomes invulnerable on cast and status effects are cleansed during the animation.

- This is switch teleport but better since it no longer has such strict limitations. Being animation locked is a fair trade-off for the amazing mobility and utility this ability grants Loki. Not to mention that this is perfect for shield gating since it will restore a good chunk of shields will also getting Loki away from danger.

Augment: Collapsing Warp - When Loki completes the warp, nearby enemies (within 15m, modifiable by range) are knocked down by the reality gate suddenly closing.

- Added crowd control to the ability so you can warp into dangerous situations without repercussions.

Fourth Ability: God of Mischief - All "Lies" from Loki's passive have their proc chances increased to 25%, modifiable by power strength. Every "Lie" while this ability is active grants Loki 20% evasion stacking to a max of 80%. Also, Loki gains unbreakable invisibility for 5 seconds (modifiable by duration) whenever a lie is told. Base 30 second duration.

- How is this ability supposed to work? Essentially, even though the lies have their proc chances increased, they still have the 3 second timer which means they will decay quickly. The idea here is to give Loki better chances to generate the lie buffs while also not making them a constant feature. This is done by reducing the likelihood of Loki actually being hit during this time through invisibility, evasion, and crowd control.

Augment: Deified Liar - Every lie increases the duration of Loki's invisibility by 5 seconds (affected by duration).

Overall, my intention with this rework is to make Loki a frame that is very hard to kill, can dish out damage through skillful play, and most importantly: fun to play. I don't think this would make him too strong since Aces needs headshots and only works with single-target weapons due to the need to proc headshots. Trickster is good survivability for general play, but will likely be subsumed off because of his 4 granting invisibility and evasion. I don't think I need to state just how nice Warp would be. And God of Mischief would be fun and engaging since you will always be on your toes about what lie is active to maximize gameplay efficiency, but its augment still gives you the chill, relaxed playstyle if that's what you desire.

Anyway, please give me your thoughts on this rework idea.

If anyone from DE happens to see this, feel free to use any of the ideas presented here in future reworks and/or new frames!

Seems more lick a gambler/luck based character than a stealth confusion trickster. This sounds better for a new character.

I also found it funny how you kept the ability I think is the worst. Switch Teleport

I'd repost this as just a new luck based frame.

Culture inspired Luck Names (Don't take this for 100% meaning, I googled these):

• English: Clover
  • Indian: Lakshmi, Shreya,
  • Welsh: Winnifred
  • Latin: Faust

Bettor is cool too, sounds like better but means who places bets.

17 hours ago, (XBOX)elementXGHILLIE said:

Culture inspired Luck Names (Don't take this for 100% meaning, I googled these):

• English: Clover
  • Indian: Lakshmi, Shreya,
  • Welsh: Winnifred
  • Latin: Faust

Bettor is cool too, sounds like better but means who places bets.

You forgot Domino, although I guess Marvel would raise an eyebrow on that.

Only things I'd really want to see for Loki are his his Decoy to summon extra copies based on ability strength, his Invis to have an augment to make it group-wide, and his passive to be something more appropriate to a trickster theme leaving a decoy and briefly going invisible whenever his health drops below a certain percentage (on a cooldown of course).

18 hours ago, (XBOX)elementXGHILLIE said:

I also found it funny how you kept the ability I think is the worst. Switch Teleport

Well, it's a straight up improvement. My idea is to give it the ability to teleport to anywhere without needing to have a target first. Basically just point, cast, and boom you're there.

18 hours ago, (XBOX)elementXGHILLIE said:

Seems more lick a gambler/luck based character than a stealth confusion trickster. This sounds better for a new character.

I'd repost this as just a new luck based frame.

Yeah I guess you're right. I have seen some depictions of Loki as being this sort of luck/poker-esque character and thought it'd be cool to roll it into his ability.

I'll take it down, rewrite some of it, and post it as a new character idea.

I agree that this seems like a new frame, and not Loki. Loki is the consistent invisibility boi, and I wouldn't take that away from him with all these weird gimmicks.

This kit isn't even a stealth frame with no reliable invisibility that doesn't involve getting shot first. It's an interesting concept, but I think it would be frustrating in practice with all the RNG and the self-defeating aspects of these abilities interacting like your 4 providing evasion against a kit centered on an on-hit passive. Generally, you want to design abilities that combo well, not fight each other.

1 hour ago, DeadVoid118 said:

I agree that this seems like a new frame, and not Loki. Loki is the consistent invisibility boi, and I wouldn't take that away from him with all these weird gimmicks.

This kit isn't even a stealth frame with no reliable invisibility that doesn't involve getting shot first. It's an interesting concept, but I think it would be frustrating in practice with all the RNG and the self-defeating aspects of these abilities interacting like your 4 providing evasion against a kit centered on an on-hit passive. Generally, you want to design abilities that combo well, not fight each other.

You're ignoring the crucial part about his four and that is the % of the passive is increased and scales with power strength which you'll be wanting to build for anyway. Also the evasion isn't anything crazy either, right around the same as Xaku who still gets hit plenty in Steel Path content. You can potentially have one hit trigger all four passive buffs at a rate of 1/2^4 with only 200% strength. Basically a 1/16 chance for one hit to proc all passive buffs at 200% power strength with the 4 being active. Also, each buff only provides 20% extra evasion here which is done to make it harder to keep buffs active when you have more of them active. Remember, the biggest part of the damage comes from the first ability to begin with, all of the passive procs are just a nice bonus with the real benefit of them being evasion and invis. You're not supposed to rely on the passive procs for this frame to be good, it's just supposed to be the cherry on top.

Edit: I also redid some of the abilities and changed it to be more fitting as an entirely new frame instead of a Loki rework posted here but couldn't figure out how to delete the original post.

Archived