Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Loki Rework

Enjin3

Borrowing the core premise of 'Loki's lies' from ReverseKinetix. As with my other suggestion for Hydroid, this is just off the top of my head and deliberately brief.

Passive: Lies - Loki has five lies that he tells.

Lie one: Denial - Moderate chance that any hit that would take Loki past zero hit points is ignored.

Lie Two: Omission - While close to an ally (say, within 5 meters), Loki is invisible. Does not include pets.

Lie Three: Fabrication - When Loki consumes a health orb, he creates an autonomous double of himself or an ally (with fairly strict limits, say a maximum of 3 and a duration of around 20 seconds).

Lie Four: Exaggeration - When Loki consumes an energy orb, his next ability has 15% more range (or duration if the power doesn't have a range).

Lie Five: Misdirection - When Loki's shields are depleted, all enemy 'agro' in the area is redirected to the single most powerful enemy for a few seconds (moderate cooldown of around 30 seconds).

Sneaky Step (Cost: 25; Duration: 15 seconds; Range: 20 meters)

Loki teleports with a single step, becoming invisible. Killing an enemy with a finisher refreshes the duration of this ability and allows another teleport. While holding the power's button, the teleport portion of the ability shows a translucent figure, indicating where the teleport would land him.

Glorious Purpose (Cost: 25; Duration: 10 seconds; Range: 15 meters)

Loki is cloaked in a grand, lustrous illusion, making him appear much larger and far more luminous than normal; Enemies gather before him peacefully. He of course betrays their ensorcelled trust and blasts them with radiant beams. Those who aren't killed are afflicted with forced radiation procs.

Malefic Treasure (Cost: 50; Duration: 30 seconds; Range: 20 meters)

Enemies in the area are drawn to illusory chests. Once several enemies have gathered around a chest, it transforms into a monster which attacks them. Allies may open them for a small chance of receiving regular chest rewards (ammo and orbs, not gems or money) and a small chance of the chest transforming into a monster and attacking them.

Army of Me (Cost: 75; Duration: 10 seconds; Range: 15 meters) 

Loki creates an army of larger-than-life illusory doubles (wielding only his melee weapon) that seek out and attack enemies. The doubles have no body collision, move very quickly and deal significant damage (based on the weapon that Loki is equipped with, as a pseudo exalted weapon).

Edit: changed words within Sneaky Step that contradicted my general intention, also increased its range and that of Malefic Treasure slightly.

The abilities are interesting, to say the least. Durations and ranges seem quite low. I think the teleport should retain the ability to switch places with enemies/allies and its magnificent 75 meter range rather than a super harsh nerf down to 15 meters.

I would also rather an actual exalted weapon for the clones instead of a pseudo-exalted which always require stat sticks. Pseudo-exalteds suck.

I would retain Radial Disarm and replace it with Glorious Purpose, or merge the two along with Radial's augment.

Why and how do the clones have a range?

Malefic Treasure seems out-of-theme and I disagree with having a backfire chance, there's just no reason to have RNG backfires when so few frames do. I do think a booby trap ability would make some sense though.

Thanks for commenting. The ranges are deliberately set on the low side. Part of his passive that triggers potentially quite frequently, grants extra range. Most powers really don't need to cover more than a 20m radius, generally speaking. A 40m radius covers a smaller map and often the entire playable area of average maps. Having said that, it's trivial to adjust them at this point. These are also relatively cheap, repeatable powers that grant a lot of utility. Short ranges also encourage the use of other features in his kit (at least, that's the intention).

Switch teleport is great on paper, but my experience/impression is that very few people use it and rarely to any great effect, I'm confident that the community (generally) would prefer to see it replaced. I think Loki mains would need to be polled to ask if they'd perhaps like a mod that simply exchanges Sneaky Step for Switch Teleport? Speaking only for myself, I just never use it, we have parkour.

A further goal of the short range on Sneaky Step (I'm sure someone will come up with a better name) is to encourage people to use the rest of the power to sneak, stab and continue teleporting and sneaking around.

Pseudo-exalted weapons are in a weird place, but an entire exalted weapon really needs to be a power that very clearly emulates an actual weapon. It might just as easily scale on its own. I mention using pseudo-exalted to convey that it's important that the damage of the power scale one way or another.

I'm not sure how Glorious Purpose and Radial Disarm would mix. The intention there is a theatrical power that groups, CC's and kills / induces chaos. Leaving them weaponless seems somewhat redundant. Radial's augment afflicts enemies with radiation... that's what the base description of Glorious Purpose already suggests. I don't know exactly how Irradiating Disarm applies that radiation effect but the intention is the same.

Malefic Treasure can afford to have a minor backfire, Loki's tricks are notorious in literature for occasionally blowing up in his own face or that of others. It's not like an occasional extra monster is any kind of hurdle, we whip through enemies like they're made of aerated butter. 

I put a range on the clones so that Loki needs to remain somewhat close to combat & is less able to sit back & let the clones do everything for him. Allow also that as mentioned, part of his passive increases range and other reasons noted above.

He'd still have invisibility, it just requires a modicum of interaction every half minute. You could refine it further to say just using a finisher rather than getting a kill with it. He needs to do more than simply be invisible all time for spy missions... which also reflects on spy missions being far too primitive.

Archived