Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Looking for cheap controller to play on PC

MutoManiac

Hi! Can anyone recommend a cheap controller that works with WF where you don’t need extra software? I’m on Windows 11. I’m having pain with my left hand using a keyboard and thought I’d try a controller. I think some old Microsoft Xbox wired controllers can still be found, but they are like $200. Rather not invest that much if it doesn’t work out. Ty

PowerA has some decently priced Xbox controllers and I haven't had to do any sort of setup on it. In terms of durability, it could be better, my first one lasted about 6 months and then the shoulder buttons got stuck cuz of how much you use them in Warframe. But it was like 28 bucks so I just bought another. For some reason the Pink one was even cheaper on Amazon and it has been going strong for about 2 months for me.

41 minutes ago, TomCruisesSon said:

PowerA has some decently priced Xbox controllers and I haven't had to do any sort of setup on it. In terms of durability, it could be better, my first one lasted about 6 months and then the shoulder buttons got stuck cuz of how much you use them in Warframe. But it was like 28 bucks so I just bought another. For some reason the Pink one was even cheaper on Amazon and it has been going strong for about 2 months for me.

I stumbled across those and was curious. Thank you for confirming that they work with no issues. Will order one now and hopefully will get used to it and be able to play properly, lol.

2 minutes ago, m_a_r_c_h_ said:

I stumbled across those and was curious. Thank you for confirming that they work with no issues. Will order one now and hopefully will get used to it and be able to play properly, lol.

No problem. Just as a heads up. If you are playing through Steam, you may run into some issues with controllers in general. For some reason, for me at least. Steam+Warframe+Controller=Headache. My controller works fine on Warframe's Standalone client and works fine with other Steam games. Put the two together and the sensitivity gets borked and I get drifting issues. It might just be I need some fine tuning that I'm not willing to do though.

Again this is just my experience.

3 minutes ago, TomCruisesSon said:

No problem. Just as a heads up. If you are playing through Steam, you may run into some issues with controllers in general. For some reason, for me at least. Steam+Warframe+Controller=Headache. My controller works fine on Warframe's Standalone client and works fine with other Steam games. Put the two together and the sensitivity gets borked and I get drifting issues. It might just be I need some fine tuning that I'm not willing to do though.

Again this is just my experience.

Good to know thanks. I read somewhere that adding WF to Steam as if it was a non-Steam game worked better. Will try it and if not use it as stand alone.

All generations of Xbox controller from the 360 up are plug-and-play with Windows, and most games that were released on console in addition to PC (like warframe) will automatically recognize and configure them too

For the Xbox One or Xbox Series X/S controllers a wireless adapter is optional, you can plug the controller in directly to a USB port with any compatible cable

I had to do the same when my hand was hurting due to a bad, uncomfortable mouse, fortunately warframe has great default controller mapping once you get used to it

1 hour ago, MrShooter said:

All generations of Xbox controller from the 360 up are plug-and-play with Windows, and most games that were released on console in addition to PC (like warframe) will automatically recognize and configure them too

For the Xbox One or Xbox Series X/S controllers a wireless adapter is optional, you can plug the controller in directly to a USB port with any compatible cable

I had to do the same when my hand was hurting due to a bad, uncomfortable mouse, fortunately warframe has great default controller mapping once you get used to it

Thanks, much appreciated. I have some Xbox 360 wireless controllers, but instead of buying a third party wireless adapter since MS doesn’t make them for the 360s anymore, I ordered the PowerA wired one. Hoping that the extra buttons on the back can be configured so I can mostly play with one hand when my left starts acting up. 

22 minutes ago, m_a_r_c_h_ said:

Thanks, much appreciated. I have some Xbox 360 wireless controllers, but instead of buying a third party wireless adapter since MS doesn’t make them for the 360s anymore, I ordered the PowerA wired one. Hoping that the extra buttons on the back can be configured so I can mostly play with one hand when my left starts acting up.

Back buttons are great for a game like this, where you don't really want to let go of the sticks very often

Other companies make wireless adapters. I use an 8bitdo USB adapter for my nintendo controllers, works perfect with my Wii U Pro controller (and has an optimal layout for shooters), although I would not recommend any of 8bitdo's actual controllers

In terms of PowerA, I have one of their Gamecube controllers with the full shoulder button layout, and I've been enjoying it very much

39 minutes ago, Pakaku said:

Back buttons are great for a game like this, where you don't really want to let go of the sticks very often

Other companies make wireless adapters. I use an 8bitdo USB adapter for my nintendo controllers, works perfect with my Wii U Pro controller (and has an optimal layout for shooters), although I would not recommend any of 8bitdo's actual controllers

In terms of PowerA, I have one of their Gamecube controllers with the full shoulder button layout, and I've been enjoying it very much

That’s good info thanks. I might have to try different controllers to find some that work for me. Wish they still made at least a pedal for wasd. 

On 2022-09-28 at 9:14 PM, m_a_r_c_h_ said:

Hi! Can anyone recommend a cheap controller that works with WF where you don’t need extra software? I’m on Windows 11. I’m having pain with my left hand using a keyboard and thought I’d try a controller. I think some old Microsoft Xbox wired controllers can still be found, but they are like $200. Rather not invest that much if it doesn’t work out. Ty

As someone already pointed out, power A wired controllers work. 

Another option is to simply use a regular Xbox controller, as using a USB port to connect it to your PC should work like it does for me, no setup necessary. 

I recommend the new Series S / Series X however, because they use USB-C ports that don't get damaged as easily as the micro-USB ports the Xbox one controllers use.

16 hours ago, m_a_r_c_h_ said:

No idea for 360 controllers but for Xbox one and Series S/X controllers all you need is a micro USB (or for series S/X model controllers USB C) adapter to play with the controller on PC so you could technically play using your phone charger or something. 

A longer wire might be needed depending on how far away your PC is, but don't worry the power A controller you ordered should have a wire that is more than long enough.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2022-09-29 at 12:36 PM, TomCruisesSon said:

Well the PowerA was good while it lasted. Did a Windows 11 update today and the controller won't accept any customization anymore. The gui in options shows that I changed the buttons, but in game it only does what the defaults were setup as. Their website doesn't really have any firmware updates to see if that would help. I was getting used to it using that in my left hand only using the buttons on the left and a mouse in my right hand. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Archived