Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross Platform Play IS LIVE!

[DE]Dudley

20 minutes ago, _COY_ said:

but they did not accounce it.

On 2022-11-08 at 5:01 AM, --N-- said:

No Date due to Cross Play being the main focus. 

Again, we are all in the 1+ year waiting window, 

Until Cross Play is working for all platforms together, then we are going to start having some sort of update in regards to Merging / Cross Save.

Edited by Halo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Packetdancer said:

While I agree entirely, I suspect it would honestly make more sense to write solely a Vulkan renderer and compile in MoltenVK to simply translate the API calls to Metal on a macOS port; the performance hit on that is surprisingly small, especially compared to the time commitment to maintain an entire separate Metal-specific renderer. There are admittedly some caveats to MoltenVK, but fewer than you’d think, and I suspect none are so huge as to outweigh the massive time savings versus writing an entire Metal-native renderer. Especially because although the macOS gaming market is larger than people give it credit for, it isn’t necessarily large enough to merit that much extra work.

This is even more true since the Switch supports Vulkan as a rendering API; you could thus theoretically write one rendering layer (Vulkan) and have it be the “native” layer for at least three platforms (Linux, Switch, and macOS via MoltenVK)… and hypothetically a fourth (PS5) at some future point, since Sony did make noises back at PS5 launch about supporting Vulkan “eventually”.

(Though “eventually” may mean “sometime before the next geological era.”)

After all, it is generally far, far easier to maintain a handful of platform-specific tweaks in a single rendering component of a game engine than it is to maintain multiple rendering components in that same engine.

Mind you, that still leaves the rest of the game besides the renderer to port… and even with the time theoretically saved by writing a single unified Vulkan rendering layer, it may well be that—as you allude to—the cost in time spent to make those ports is greater than the amount of income you get from players on those platforms. Especially when the current Windows version runs at least tolerably well under Proton (on Linux) and CrossOver (on macOS)…

Ooooh that's some interesting stuff, was not aware of MoltenVK. 

All I care about is mainly cross save since I often wanna lay back and play on Xbox, but also like to play on PC for more intense farming sessions as I can use two monitors then to have something play in the background.

Not played Warframe for ages simply because I don't feel like replaying the game a third time (yes, THIRD). If only we could merge our accounts or something, even just make one account our primary on all platforms would be a huge incentive for many of us to get (back) into Warframe

16 hours ago, SDGDen said:

Ooooh that's some interesting stuff, was not aware of MoltenVK. 

It's an official solution, too, at least from one side of the equation there; MoltenVK is put out by the Khronos Group, the same standards group behind Vulkan itself. There's a similar tool, DXVK, which provides the same sort of translation later, but from DirectX into Vulkan.

Terrifyingly, Crossover on macOS uses DXVK to translate DirectX into Vulkan, then MoltenVK to turn Vulkan into Metal. And if you're on Apple Silicon, you've got Rosetta 2 in the mix as well, so Windows APIs translated into macOS ones, DirectX translated into Vulkan, Vulkan translated into Metal, the whole thing ripped apart and recompiled as a semi-optimized ARM binary instead of Intel...

It's a digital layer cake! And frankly, I'm a little stunned that it works as well as it does.

So, yeah, long term once they have all the existing platforms playing nicely with each other, it would definitely be nice for Linux and macOS folks to have something a little closer to native (and a little less "impressive house of cards, looks lovely, terrified it might eventually collapse if one of the multitude of layers involved stops playing nicely with the others").

But that ain't a small time investment, even if doing a Vulkan renderer would potentially save time in the future. So I imagine the vague possibility of native ports to Linux and macOS is years down the road on DE's timeline, if it's even on there as a possibility *at all*.

• Like 1

We received a couple reports about not being able to whisper Xbox players with spaces in their names from PC players. If you want to whisper someone with a space in their name/alias then please use quotation marks to capture their full name.

For example: /w "Tenno Are Amazing" hello friend

This would send the message "hello friend" to the Xbox player Tenno Are Amazing

• Like 6

Could you change the current icon to represent the users of other platforms, precisely the console ones, with the icon of a generic joystick/joypad?

An example, the same joystick icon that can be seen from the game options menu.

I have commented it in the first patches/hotfixes thread.

Thanks.

14 hours ago, [DE]Dudley said:

We received a couple reports about not being able to whisper Xbox players with spaces in their names from PC players. If you want to whisper someone with a space in their name/alias then please use quotation marks to capture their full name.

For example: /w "Tenno Are Amazing" hello friend

This would send the message "hello friend" to the Xbox player Tenno Are Amazing

Any plans to allow using spaces in PC names?

So I (PC) want to play with a friend (XBOX) but we can't search for eachother nor can we add as friend when we somhow after a lot of traying manage to group up.
Mostly by asking people from other platforms in chat if they can invite us both.
Even in recent players it gets deleted pretty quick.

That's very unfortunet and annoying.
Since I came back to the game because of crossplay it would be nice if that could get fixed as soon as possible. 

7 hours ago, Sphinx1985 said:

So I (PC) want to play with a friend (XBOX) but we can't search for eachother nor can we add as friend when we somhow after a lot of traying manage to group up.

PC cannot add Xbox friends atm, same goes vice versa. 

This is how it has been for the past month or so. 

One of you has to '/w' (whisper) the other to get your names into a private chat, and then you can invite one another from there. 

Example of what your friend on Xbox should do to you:      /w Sphinx1985 Hey, its me       

This goes vice versa if you do the same thing, but you need to include "quotation marks" for the Xbox gamertag, if I recall 

This is temporary. 

Full Cross Play is not out yet, why a lot of things between platforms are not working at or near 100%

Edited by Halo
  • Like 1

Just now, ANARCHYFATE1995 said:

WORKING PERFECTLY would be awesome if trading could be a thing though just resetting all the markets and starting from scratch would probably reboot the game so it would be 1 market only across all platforms 

also the RAILJACK is an awesome game mode and would love to see it get PVP at some point would bring me back to the good old days playing sea of thieves but in space would love to see it what you think guys

I don't know if i report this on the right formor but this is connected to crossplay.

I have notis a bug/glich and that is if you a in a free rome area with a person on anouter platform (pc), that teleportera pad dosent work or light up for me that is playing on xbox, but it works for my friends on pc.

And the same go for npc chat box pop ups aka captur/kiling a animal, it dosent show up at all for me but for my friends it work fine.

I have notis this glich/bug only hapen in crossplay, ween i go sole or xbox only this things pops up, and works fine.

I would like to note a crossplay bug: when going into the orbiter of a player from a different platform, they can't see your decorations and you can't see their decorations.

I (xbox) just had someone (PC) go into my orbiter, but they didn't see all the decoration I placed about my orbiter.

When I went into their orbiter, I didn't see any of the decorations they placed.

When can I make my Nintendo account available on my computer? (Chinese machine translation may have grammatical problems)

I played it on ns at first, but now I use the computer. I don't want to play it again. I hope my data can be moved to the computer as soon as possible

Edited by (NSW)anjindian

On 2022-11-30 at 11:39 AM, (NSW)anjindian said:

When can I make my Nintendo account available on my computer? (Chinese machine translation may have grammatical problems)

I played it on ns at first, but now I use the computer. I don't want to play it again. I hope my data can be moved to the computer as soon as possible

This is called "Cross Save"

On 2022-09-29 at 5:02 PM, [DE]Dudley said:

What about Cross Save?
Cross Platform Play will be our first direction in getting all Tenno to play together, and we will announce details around Cross Save in a future announcement.

UPDATE: December 1st, 2022 - Switch & PlayStation Addition to Cross Platform Play Test
Today marks another milestone in Cross Platform Play development! Nintendo Switch and PlayStation Tenno can now join their PC and Xbox peers in playing missions together across the Origin System. The same restrictions apply from the current PC and Xbox test but now all players can join in the fun. As a reminder, however, players who are on the same platform as you will have their platform-specific icon next to their alias. Players who are on a different platform will have the cross platform play swirl icon :crossplay: to denote that they are not on your platform.

If at some point we need to turn off this Cross Platform Play test then we will update this thread. Your feedback is greatly appreciated as we continue developing this feature.

• Like 13