Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shield Gating - Decaying Dragon Key - Suggestions

Samhel

I know a lot of players will disagree, but I don't think Dragon Keys are supposed to act as buffs for our Warframes. I absolutely hate that Warframes that can't take a hit from high level enemies have to abuse the key + Augur and/or Brief Respite to be viable. The problem comes from the fact that shield gating is tied to whether we have our maximum amount of shields up or not before losing all of it.

I thought about a couple of approach angles as suggestions to solve the issue if any dev sees the problem as I do:

• Change Decaying Dragon Keys so that they do not affect our max shield values or the max overshield values, but rather make it seem like our shield is damaged from the start and never let it or the overshield to charge above the 25%. This way we would never have the max amount of overshield time when we equip the Decaying Dragon Key.
  • Another approach I thought about would be to calculate shield gating time with mods and with overshield like this:

{ base shield gating time * (((+ shield % from mods equipped)/100) + ((% of overshield you have)/100) from the 1200 maximum (higher for harrow of course)) }

or with some kind of other formula that makes naturally shield based Warframes benefit more from shield gating than those Warframes that have high base health and armor values

• Buff Augur mods and Brief Respite since without shield gating there's almost no time to utilize them without interruption on high levels

And I would definitely put some kind of indicator either on the healthbar or on the status effect layout to indicate that we are currently in the "shield gating state" per say.

There is something even simpler and that don't need to change much of the game's mechanics : the Dragon key's penalties applies only on Deimos missions (where you can find the Orokin vaults).

il y a une heure, Samhel a dit :

absolutely hate that Warframes that can't take a hit from high level enemies have to abuse the key + Augur and/or Brief Respite to be viable.

Above level 500 no tanky frame, whose survivability is based on armor, is viable without shield gating. Invisible frames, Revenant (Mesmer Skin), and some frames with abilities giving invulnerability can be viable without shield gating, but their number is very low.

I never use the Dragon key method, but I use Shield gate very often : it's not easy, but it's the only way to survive on high level missions. And even without the Dragon key method you can obtain the same results.

The problem with shield gating is that it's a Band-aid solution to a much deeper problem. If Armor damage reduction and some abilities damage reduction were reworked, no one would use shield gate to survive. The introduction of shield gate in the game was a community request to make almost every warframe viable on high level missions and preventing the "one shot" death that was happening very often.

I suggest you read this thread too. 

41 minutes ago, (NSW)AegisFifi said:

The problem with shield gating is that it's a Band-aid solution to a much deeper problem. If Armor damage reduction and some abilities damage reduction were reworked, no one would use shield gate to survive. The introduction of shield gate in the game was a community request to make almost every warframe viable on high level missions and preventing the "one shot" death that was happening very often.

Totally agree.

Some frames have crazy "ability induced survivability".   

For example,  I tried hunting  Archon  using Volt, and then Nidus.  Normal weapons + backup Laetum in case it takes too long (no oneshot hek).    

• Volt could still die oneshot to some attacks (Toxin proc from Nira or Electric from Boreal.....Amar's Melee is very deadly to Volt).  Shield gating didn't help much, I survived status proc DoTs and melee stunlocks by using Operator mode.    It was pretty tense (I am not using any shield gating or rolling guard. Only adaptation and some shield)
  • With Nidus I just stood there in a puddle of goop, linked to some random enemy.   

Damage was equalized by that Bandaid Damage Attenuation system, so Volt's bonuses didn't do sht....   Archon TTK was equal.   Even Faster with Nidus, as aiming is much easier while standing still.  

So yeah.  DE totally need to do a pass on Frame survivability..... And Player damage output too.    Both Shield Gating and Damage Attenuation are very bad systems.  Its just not a proper solution to the broken game balance.    

il y a une heure, Kainosh a dit :

I suggest you read this thread too. 

Totally agree.

Some frames have crazy "ability induced survivability".   

For example,  I tried hunting  Archon  using Volt, and then Nidus.  Normal weapons + backup Laetum in case it takes too long (no oneshot hek).    

• Volt could still die oneshot to some attacks (Toxin proc from Nira or Electric from Boreal.....Amar's Melee is very deadly to Volt).  Shield gating didn't help much, I survived status proc DoTs and melee stunlocks by using Operator mode.    It was pretty tense (I am not using any shield gating or rolling guard. Only adaptation and some shield)
  • With Nidus I just stood there in a puddle of goop, linked to some random enemy.   

Damage was equalized by that Bandaid Damage Attenuation system, so Volt's bonuses didn't do sht....   Archon TTK was equal.   Even Faster with Nidus, as aiming is much easier while standing still.  

So yeah.  DE totally need to do a pass on Frame survivability..... And Player damage output too.    Both Shield Gating and Damage Attenuation are very bad systems.  Its just not a proper solution to the broken game balance.    

I agree with you. And you also gave one important point to another discussion :

il y a une heure, Kainosh a dit :

as aiming is much easier while standing still.

While shield gating, you can't stand still, so aiming is very hard. If it's hard to aim, single-target won't be the best choice. That's perhaps one of the reasons that were making some players use AoE : it was the kind of weapon that fits the best the shield gating gameplay.

So, perhaps, reworking the Damage reduction mechanics (and Mods/Arcanes) would have been one of the ways to balance the weapons use rate.

Archived