Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vote on the name for the Wolf-inspired Warframe!

Marcooose

Vote on the name for the Wolf-inspired Warframe!   

22,862 members have voted

1. 1. What is your vote for the name of the Wolf-inspired Warframe?

• Raksha
    • Dynara
    • Lycath
    • Disa
    • Ylva
    • Ulfra
    • Voruna (Žvorūna)
    • Ghella
    • Fengarou
    • Nashoba

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 2022-10-28 at 03:59 AM

4 hours ago, (PSN)crow5716 said:

Oh my.... those are all terrible choices 

Yeah. I want a "none of the above" option.

This is also the same game that has an earth based frame called Atlas (A Greek titan), a sword based frame called Excalibur (Magic sword from King Arthur), a blood based frame called Garuda (Hindu demigod), A gluttonous frame called Grendel (Man eating monster from an English legend), a fairy frame called Titania (Queen of fairies in medieval folklore), a nature-based frame called Oberon (Who is the husband of Titania), the list goes on. So no, Warframe actually does not seem to "prefer the opposite". In the beginning sure. But newer frames have had more nuanced names.

Atlas and Excalibur are definitely well known enough to still be in the "on the nose" category.

Titania and Oberon are from Shakespeare, which is pretty mainstream, and many people are familiar with Beowulf (origin of Grendel) as well. So hardly obscure there.

Garuda is a little more obscure than the others, but only in that it differs from what most people would know. I don't think you can really say anything that's been referenced in four main-line Final Fantasy games (and several spin-offs) is all that unknown.

56 minutes ago, Apochron said:

I don't quite understand why some people are complaining that "Lycath" is too obvious or unoriginal.

This is the same game that has an ice frame named Frost, a fire frame named Ember, a wind frame named Zephyr, a magnetic frame named Mag... I could go on.
Not every name needs to be obscure and arcane. Warframe actually seems to prefer the opposite.

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to share my unsolicited opinion. So, here's why I disagree with you and why I hate Lycath, personally:

1) I wasn't asked to vote for the names of Frost, Ember, Volt, Mag, and similar. If I had, I definitely would have gone with more referential names. 
2) Those names are at the least very direct. They seem deliberately on the nose. Lycath sounds more like someone tried and failed to be clever.
3) I also just think it sounds terrible. I don't like the way it feels in my mouth to say.

I'd literally rather her be named "Werewolf" than "Lycath".

15 minutes ago, EzraEtc said:

Titania and Oberon are from Shakespeare, which is pretty mainstream, and many people are familiar with Beowulf (origin of Grendel) as well. So hardly obscure there.

Garuda is a little more obscure than the others, but only in that it differs from what most people would know. I don't think you can really say anything that's been referenced in four main-line Final Fantasy games (and several spin-offs) is all that unknown.

All of those are more obscure than you think, yeah people know of Shakespeare but they wouldn't be able to give detail on the contents and characters same with Beowulf.

Either way lycath is the same as if ember of frost were embrath and frozmon. It's a lazy way of trying to using Lykan without using it, at that point it would be better to just use lykan.  

Otsana isn't there, I would have voted for that. :tongue:

Otsana is a rare and unique name that originated in the Basque region of Spain. The name alludes to the qualities of a wolf, especially the speed and vigor.

I'll vote for Dynara, sounds better than Lycath to me, wish we had the phonetic way they are said, saying it the wrong way sounds like I'm licking a lollipop. replace 'y' with 'i' and you get Licath. 🤣

Archived