Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Does Exodia Contagion Actually Apply Damage?

XOR10NX

Question

The wiki states:

• Upon performing a mid-air attack while Aim Gliding after bullet jumping or double jumping, an infested projectile will be launched towards the player's target.
  • Base projectile damage, critical chance, critical damage, and status chance depends on the Zaw's Stat and equipped mods on the Zaw.
  • Has multiple damage instances; projectile direct-hit, explosion and direct-hit DoT
    • Projectile direct-hit does 2x the Zaw's damage, with a damage distribution of 33% DmgImpactSmall64.png Impact, 33% DmgPunctureSmall64.png Puncture, and 33% DmgSlashSmall64.png Slash damage.
    • The explosion does 5x the Zaw's damage, with a damage distribution of 100% DmgViralSmall64.png Viral damage.
    • The direct-hit DoT does 1x the Zaw's damage, with a damage distribution of 100% DmgBlastSmall64.png Blast damage.
  • Explosion has a forced DmgImpactSmall64.png Impact proc.
  • Direct hits on enemies makes the projectile stick to them, dealing damage and inflicting a forced DmgImpactSmall64.png

So as it sates it, the projectile does damage equal to that of the zaw, 2x and split 3 ways (impact,puncture/slash +a blast DoT) if a direct hit, or 5x as 100% viral to enemies that are caught in the blast. With forced impact procs.

In my shot time building zaws around the arcane, I've found discrepancy in this in actual use. If the arcane does as above stated, then when building a zaw, after going for as much critical chance and damage as you can, you should just stack as much damage as you can regardless of what that damage type is. In my experience though, the damage type on the weapon does matter even though it's claimed to be I/P/S for directs hits and 100% viral in the explosion.

For example, this first zaw's damage type is mostly viral, and it hits for 5.3k. The zaw picture below that is mostly corrosive damage and hit for only 4.7k. If the arcane works as the wiki stats the top zaw should hit harder, but it's not the case in lots of simulacrum testing and in game use. In fact the bottom zaw kills with 4x fewer hits then the top zaw. To further test it I changed the viral damage of the first zaw pictured to corrosive and retested and it killed 2x as fast as it did with viral (though the bottom zaw was still 2x faster to kill then even it with corrosive).

vOclk6Z.jpg

eb3BXrs.jpg

SOOO, long story short, can someone that better understands how Exodia Contagion actually applies damage explain why damage types of the base weapon matters if 100% of damage is suppose to be I/P/S for a direct hit or viral from the explosion???

OR is the wiki just wrong?

7 answers to this question

It does seem the wiki for that arcane is a tad incomplete because it omits the fact that you can apply status effects based on mods beyond the innate procs.

There are a lot of variables that could be at play here that are important to keep in mind:

• Enemies take bonus damage to certain elemental types
  • The distance you're hitting enemies at matters because it gets stronger after a set distance
  • Status proc luck can mean dealing more/less damage

It's best to do a controlled experiment and have visuals to accompany your findings so we can see the damage difference you were observing.

What kind of enemy are you testing on simul? If one with Ferrite armor the corrosive one will do much more damage.  It can not only reduce the armor of the enemy with corr and heat procs, but also corr does 1.75x dmg to Ferrite armor.

In general, you do not want Viral on a pure crit Zaw (i can only assume that is how they are built because we can't see that stats or parts). Do they differ in those stats? (cc, cd, status). Actually, you do not want Viral on anything that hits hard but seldom.

Also make sure you throw the projectile from same distance as it increases the damage.

I do not have to write that contagion behaves like heavy attack in some ways and certain mods would increase your damage more than spoiled strike? It seems, that you have built it like stat stick, that is not the case.

Il y a 7 heures, XOR10NX a dit :

OR is the wiki just wrong?

Sometimes, the Wiki do not give the "correct" information due to some glitches on the game. There are many exemples : The wiki says you can't use your weapons while using Chroma's Spectral Scream, but if you test in game, you will see that you can use your melee weapon and it has been like this for ages.

Also, they say that Nova's Antimatter Drop absorb multiplier is not affected by Power Strength Mods, but since last year it is affected by Power Strength Mods (it's a glitch).

Perhaps, what you are experiencing is that the Wiki shows the way it should work, or the way it used to work, and when you test in game you are seeing the way it actually works because of some glitches.

I really don't know if it's the case, I'm just saying that sometimes the information we find on the Wiki do not match what we see in the game because of some glitches.

I've got a similar problem when trying to verify Atlas Petrify damage multiplier : the Wiki matches with the values I've found in game, but not for every Damage Type.

19 hours ago, Synpai said:

It does seem the wiki for that arcane is a tad incomplete because it omits the fact that you can apply status effects based on mods beyond the innate procs.

There are a lot of variables that could be at play here that are important to keep in mind:

• Enemies take bonus damage to certain elemental types
  • The distance you're hitting enemies at matters because it gets stronger after a set distance
  • Status proc luck can mean dealing more/less damage

It's best to do a controlled experiment and have visuals to accompany your findings so we can see the damage difference you were observing.

So the wiki is in fact wrong and the blast from the explosion is not 100% viral but is actually comprised of what damage types you have on the base weapon?? I didn't cap any footage of my testing but I'm not sure it would be too helpful as I only recall seeing impact next to the damage numbers when throwing it. If I had more info, I probably wouldn't have had to ask, but I feel woefully in the dark sometimes with this game despite so many hours played.

17 hours ago, Zakkhar said:

What kind of enemy are you testing on simul? If one with Ferrite armor the corrosive one will do much more damage.  It can not only reduce the armor of the enemy with corr and heat procs, but also corr does 1.75x dmg to Ferrite armor.

In general, you do not want Viral on a pure crit Zaw (i can only assume that is how they are built because we can't see that stats or parts). Do they differ in those stats? (cc, cd, status). Actually, you do not want Viral on anything that hits hard but seldom.

Also make sure you throw the projectile from same distance as it increases the damage.

I do not have to write that contagion behaves like heavy attack in some ways and certain mods would increase your damage more than spoiled strike? It seems, that you have built it like stat stick, that is not the case.

I noticed it when playing first, then feeling there was a difference with corrosive vs viral, I tested against corrupted heavy gunners in the simulacrum. Always from the same distance. I built with viral, just cause I didn't believe it mattered (thanks to the wiki) and with the riven I could actually still use the zaw like a regular melee if I wanted to and slash/viral is nice.

Like I said, still new to building with exodia contagion, if you have suggestions, feel free to throw them out there.

13 hours ago, (NSW)AegisFifi said:

Sometimes, the Wiki do not give the "correct" information due to some glitches on the game. There are many exemples : The wiki says you can't use your weapons while using Chroma's Spectral Scream, but if you test in game, you will see that you can use your melee weapon and it has been like this for ages.

Also, they say that Nova's Antimatter Drop absorb multiplier is not affected by Power Strength Mods, but since last year it is affected by Power Strength Mods (it's a glitch).

Perhaps, what you are experiencing is that the Wiki shows the way it should work, or the way it used to work, and when you test in game you are seeing the way it actually works because of some glitches.

I really don't know if it's the case, I'm just saying that sometimes the information we find on the Wiki do not match what we see in the game because of some glitches.

I've got a similar problem when trying to verify Atlas Petrify damage multiplier : the Wiki matches with the values I've found in game, but not for every Damage Type.

Yes, this seems to be a case of incomplete information with how the damage is calculated and then applied. Like I said in my reply above, I have so many hours in warframe, yet still feel like a newb when it comes to some aspects of this game due to lack of information.

Il y a 8 heures, XOR10NX a dit :

I have so many hours in warframe, yet still feel like a newb when it comes to some aspects of this game due to lack of information.

Same to me. And sometimes even very important information about how some abilities work are lacking and we cannot really rely on everything that's on the Wiki without some tests.

Archived