Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Conclave: Damage-based standing

Tyreaus

Do you hate it when you deal 90% of the damage to an enemy, only to have someone else swoop in and take the kill, leaving you with nothing more than an empty mag or quiver?

Do you absolutely suck at Conclave and get sick of landing ~200 standing per match because you can't get any kills? I-I don't, uh. I don't know anything about that.

Introducing:

Damage-based standing! Getting you what you finally deserve!

Now, you might be asking, "Ty, how do you even say that username Why would I need damage-based standing? I get by just fine in Conclave!"

Ohhoho, my good chap. This isn't a replacement for how we get standing now, but an addition! There have been plenty a-thread well at least a couple about how abysmal the grind for Conclave can be, so why take away what we have? This is meant to reward all players for their efforts in Conclave. New, old, mouse-and-keyboard, controller, steering wheel—you name it, your contributions matter.

It's a straightforward idea: you do damage, you get affinity, affinity translates to standing at the end of a match. Perhaps the simplest numbers to put would be the affinity gained for a regular kill—no aerial or anti-air bonus or the like—and distribute that along a fairly "standard" 300 point (150/150) health pool. A bit large, but to err on the side of caution. If players get 1,000 affinity for a kill, that means 1,000 / 300 ~= 3-4 affinity per point of damage. From that starting point, we can adjust up or down or left or right however we see fit.

This not only implements an "assist" form of standing gain, and boosts standing gain in general, it also encourages being aggressive and putting yourself out there, even if—in the absolute worst case—you're getting bodied on the regular.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

Do you hate it when you deal 90% of the damage to an enemy, only to have someone else swoop in and take the kill, leaving you with nothing more than an empty mag or quiver?

Do you absolutely suck at Conclave and get sick of landing ~200 standing per match because you can't get any kills? I-I don't, uh. I don't know anything about that.

Introducing:

Damage-based standing! Getting you what you finally deserve!

Now, you might be asking, "Ty, how do you even say that username Why would I need damage-based standing? I get by just fine in Conclave!"

Ohhoho, my good chap. This isn't a replacement for how we get standing now, but an addition! There have been plenty a-thread well at least a couple about how abysmal the grind for Conclave can be, so why take away what we have? This is meant to reward all players for their efforts in Conclave. New, old, mouse-and-keyboard, controller, steering wheel—you name it, your contributions matter.

It's a straightforward idea: you do damage, you get affinity, affinity translates to standing at the end of a match. Perhaps the simplest numbers to put would be the affinity gained for a regular kill—no aerial or anti-air bonus or the like—and distribute that along a fairly "standard" 300 point (150/150) health pool. A bit large, but to err on the side of caution. If players get 1,000 affinity for a kill, that means 1,000 / 300 ~= 3-4 affinity per point of damage. From that starting point, we can adjust up or down or left or right however we see fit.

This not only implements an "assist" form of standing gain, and boosts standing gain in general, it also encourages being aggressive and putting yourself out there, even if—in the absolute worst case—you're getting bodied on the regular.

Its not that bad of an idea. Im for it. Hope to see you in conclave match again btw!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (XBOX)GameGhost123 said:

Hope to see you in conclave match again btw!

I admit I'm a bit on-and-off. This idea shows a big reason why: I'm not great at the mode, and for how it's designed, it's not that uncommon for me to get a similar—sometimes the same—amount of standing had I just hid in a corner. It makes it seem like I may as well not participate, and that's a rough thing to look past.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)GameGhost123 said:

Meanwhile Conclave is getting a bunch of fixes in 8 days. Your info is outdated. 

In before Dark Sectors come back in the same update, just because word got to Pablo and he said "bet". I doubt it'll actually happen but it'd be funny.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, (XBOX)GameGhost123 said:

Meanwhile Conclave is getting a bunch of fixes in 8 days. Your info is outdated. 

I legitimately hope conclave gets the love it deserves. I miss it being populated and playable. The solar rails were great fun but terribly balanced. Maybe when cross play happens we can all play a match. However until then i not holding my breath but i will cross my fingers and toes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, (PSN)TastyJelloGolem said:

I legitimately hope conclave gets the love it deserves. I miss it being populated and playable. The solar rails were great fun but terribly balanced. Maybe when cross play happens we can all play a match. However until then i not holding my breath but i will cross my fingers and toes.

Yea i cant wait until playstation gets crossplay.  I have people I like playing with there. I also have a ps4 so play there sometimes.  I'm having a blast playing with pc players currently though. 

• Like 1

If we are to keep the current syndicate system, I prefer making standing easier to gain in general. Like 3x the current amount and/or remove ranks from the syndicate, like we have with Simaris. It's not a serious game mode anyway so why bother turning it into a grind for newer players. Effort required for standing gain should be closer to what a sizable number of players would be willing to put in.

Also don't like the mods being locked being more standing, should lower the standing cost for those or find a way to hand it out better. More tinkering options available to more players is nice, like those -zoom mods, need more of those at different ranks for different weapons

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

I don't usually like bumping threads, but I had an interesting game theory situation come up today.

I was playing against another user with a Mios. Now, neither of us are idiots. After a few encounters, we both figured that, in closed-in spaces (hallways and the like), they win. I don't have good melee weapons and just, generally, suck with melee. Conversely, in open spaces, their melee wouldn't work anywhere near as well, and I'd tend to win. So what happened?

Nothing.

Boiling it down, we had no reason to enter the other's area of dominance. If I stay in my area, nothing happens, I get nothing. If I enter theirs, I get beat, and I still get nothing. I gain nothing by putting myself in a compromising position, and lose nothing by staying in my comfort zone. They're in the same boat. So we stayed to our areas and...nothing happened.

Well, mostly, at least. A few peeks, some glancing pot-shots, that sort of almost-excitement.

To be clear: that's probably not a super common situation. But it happens and it's avoidable. You just need an incentive for players to step into disadvantageous scenarios. Like, y'know, getting a smidge of standing for giving it a go and getting a few hits in. Hint hint, nudge nudge.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

Boiling it down, we had no reason to enter the other's area of dominance. If I stay in my area, nothing happens, I get nothing. If I enter theirs, I get beat, and I still get nothing. I gain nothing by putting myself in a compromising position, and lose nothing by staying in my comfort zone. They're in the same boat. So we stayed to our areas and...nothing happened.

Moments like these are huge knowledge checks where particular loadouts get to shine.

> Nidus shines in tight maps since it's easier to use virulence to get stacks which become hp gates or can be used to cast parasytic link and turn the tables

> Ivara/Zenith/Castanas is a loadout that works wonders against people who like to camp in small areas and even hide in some map holes since Ivara's passive allows you to find them, Zenith's alt fire goes through the thickest walls while its disk highlights their heads, keeping you safe on the attack and Castanas are there mostly to setup an ambush in case they decide to camp the same place after respawn.

And i'm sure people can come up with different "staple setups" to break the stalement on such rare situations.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2023-04-22 at 9:42 AM, ----Legacy---- said:

Moments like these are huge knowledge checks where particular loadouts get to shine.

> Nidus shines in tight maps since it's easier to use virulence to get stacks which become hp gates or can be used to cast parasytic link and turn the tables

> Ivara/Zenith/Castanas is a loadout that works wonders against people who like to camp in small areas and even hide in some map holes since Ivara's passive allows you to find them, Zenith's alt fire goes through the thickest walls while its disk highlights their heads, keeping you safe on the attack and Castanas are there mostly to setup an ambush in case they decide to camp the same place after respawn.

And i'm sure people can come up with different "staple setups" to break the stalement on such rare situations.

Zenith got removed quite a while ago.