Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe iOS Closed Beta Announcement & FAQ

[DE]CoreyOnline

Is mobile joining cross play as well once it's released? Because I'm going to be honest here, cross play with consoles has already been enough of a headache experience this past week with weird laggy bugs, glitches and overall very poor experience depending on who is hosting (I'm assuming it's mostly Switch, since we can't see consoles anymore, just a generic swirl icon). So now I assume it's going to get even worse with mobile. I already disable cross play for most of the stuff I do, but sometimes you really need to play in squads for rewards or other reasons (not to mention that's the whole point of a coop game). Frankly, it seems like everyone is cheering on this whole cross play thing, but I don't think some devices and wifi connections can properly host this game. 

How will accounts work? I don't have an iOS device so right now it won't affect me either way but I'm curious. Are iOS accounts separate like on Switch or Xbox? In the future when iOS and Android is out of beta will I be able to log in to my PC account on my Android phone or is it going to be treated like a new, separate platform?

7 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

How will accounts work? I don't have an iOS device so right now it won't affect me either way but I'm curious. Are iOS accounts separate like on Switch or Xbox? In the future when iOS and Android is out of beta will I be able to log in to my PC account on my Android phone or is it going to be treated like a new, separate platform?

Though you need an existing Warframe account to sign up for this iOS Closed beta, what'll happen is after a successful install, you will be prompted to create a brand new account via apple ID.

This iOS Closed Beta will let Tenno get a feel for the current touch controls, try their bluetooth controllers, check out performance in solo and multiplayer, etc., but you won't be able to play with your existing account's progress on iPhone or iPad during this test. 

Hope that clarifies! 

EDIT: additionally, after this iOS Closed Beta period comes to an end, data & progress will be wiped. Worth mentioning that as stated in the FAQ on page one, there will be no monetization options available in the Closed Beta. 

30 minutes ago, [DE]CoreyOnline said:

Though you need an existing Warframe account to sign up for this iOS Closed beta, what'll happen is after a successful install, you will be prompted to create a brand new account via apple ID.

This iOS Closed Beta will let Tenno get a feel for the current touch controls, try their bluetooth controllers, check out performance in solo and multiplayer, etc., but you won't be able to play with your existing account's progress on iPhone or iPad during this test. 

Hope that clarifies! 

EDIT: additionally, after this iOS Closed Beta period comes to an end, data & progress will be wiped. Worth mentioning that as stated in the FAQ on page one, there will be no monetization options available in the Closed Beta. 

Thanks! But I meant more in the long term after these tests end. In the future when this is all live, will I be able to log in to my PC account on my phone? I'm basically asking about cross-save for mobile.

37 minutes ago, [DE]CoreyOnline said:

Hope that clarifies! 

I know you can't answer this right this second, but hopefully it's on your minds at DE that when we do get cross save in the future, Closed Beta testers getting the option to merge/link their Apple ID to their existing PC/Console account if an Apple ID is required to play on iOS at that point. What you just wrote made me mildly concerned about being locked to a new account on that Apple ID, though I hope it's not the case.

Cheers!

4 hours ago, SthMax said:

What about iPad Pros? Are they compatible? Really hope I can play the test with a high refresh rate screen. 

I'm wondering the same thing, I know the air 5th gen is listed which also uses m1 chip, so why isn't ipad pro supported?

On 2022-12-06 at 5:25 PM, --IL--Slava said:

wait but what with android?
are they getting an open beta after the ios?

If they follow other development studios, and they even outsourced part of it or even entirely, Android will be excluded.

Happy to be surprised in the future, but i wouldn't keep my hopes up

Just a question regarding macs:

Since Macs are able to run iOS games natively, I wonder if A) you intend to add keyboard and mouse support and B) enable MacOS to run the iOS version? (Or even a Mac Port? I don't know how huge the step is from iOS to an actual Mac port..)

If B) is the case, will you include higher settings for Mac than for mobile, since especially the higher end Macs have much higher performance than mobile?

I think there is a good opportunity to include not only mobile devices but also macs. Obviously this game does not have the competition problem (as e.g. call of duty mobile, banning macs to avoid them having an advantage over mobile players), as they can already play with PC players and there is no real PVP.

On that matter, I would highly encourage you to prefer non-mobile hosts in matchmaking, as poor connections are more widespread on mobile.

This is really cool, thanks DE!

Running this on an M1 iPad Pro and it looks and runs decently - a lot better than the Switch port does, anyway.

I hope you guys plan on adding add keyboard and mouse support eventually, and maybe HDR down the line (to leverage the specced-out displays on those iOS devices). 

Permission to ask: 

When will the forum thread for iOS beta testing be open? 

Just got the TestFlight email an hour ago and started downloading, and would love to start documenting any info as soon as I could. 

Disregard, found it!

On 2022-12-07 at 9:25 PM, Doraz_ said:

If they follow other development studios, and they even outsourced part of it or even entirely, Android will be excluded.

Happy to be surprised in the future, but i wouldn't keep my hopes up

I mean I get that it's easier to dev for iOS given that devices have very specific screen sizes compared to Android but given that around 70% of the mobile OS market is currently Android based I doubt they'll exclude it in the long run.  Also they can't really call it Warframe Mobile if it's exclusive to Apple mobiles given how much market share and different devices they'd be excluding. 

On 2022-12-06 at 2:42 PM, Krilexis said:

Sadly dont have an iOS guess we must be patient.

From some discussions with collegues developping and testing apps for both iOS and android (not a game though),

TestFlight is a real plateform or kind of emulator where you install an app, it has some limitations though (they got trouble with a vpn and build for testing were a bit long) but is really useful for building apps quite safely before release. For testing you need to install TestFlight then the app you wish to test.

Android has no such plateform and has a lot more devices shapes, almost every app goes through the play store and google play services. When you build an app it has to go through a check process as well (Ive seen collegues complaining on app permissions because Google asks for precise keywords) but at the end its just an apk and you give a link to that apk executable directly.

Anyway good luck DE its a good start.

This is false. Android has similar things for distributing apps for closed beta tests, as well as for doing open betas.

Archived