Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Call To Action: Hunting Down the PC "Out Of Memory" Bug

[DE]Megan

Hello! 

We're calling on PC Tenno to help us hunt down the elusive Out Of Memory bug. 

For those who prefer text over visuals: the Out of Memory crash has been the #1 bug on our leaderboards, and we need your help to end its reign. The Out of Memory crash occurs when something in the game has a "memory leak." This could be from a cosmetic, a loadout, an enemy encounter, a change in the weather- the list goes on. The memory leak can often be attributed to when your RAM value starts to climb uncontrollably. 

The request:

1. Log into Warframe on PC and, under Options => Video Settings, enable "Show FPS" 
  2. Note the RAM value while you're playing for moments when the number jumps above 3,000MB (ie: 3GB) -- if it starts to climb toward 4GB you've hit the bug!
  3. Include reproduction steps in a reply to this thread when you experience the RAM jump
  4. Include a video of the experience if possible
    1. Upload to either YouTube or GfyCat to produce a link to your video
  • Like 21

Honestly this might be harder than you think for people to pick up on without an easier way to spot the ram usage increase. 

Warframe runs in 64bit mode according to task manager meaning it has access (well it should anyway) to more than 4GB memory from the system.... those of us with more than 8GB of ram won't even notice it's using 4GB of memory in the game unless we actively look at the fps panel, hell some of us have gpu's with more memory than that.

I literally can not remember having an out of memory crash in the entire time I've played the game but then I've always had 16GB+ ram.... is there any relationship between the spec's/hardware that is crashing because there's no point an AMD person testing if everything crashing is intel/nvidia.  DX11 versus DX12 is another thing...I don't run DX12 because imo it's worse than dx11 still, same goes for classic versus enhanced.

Basically give us as much info as you can so we can help you etc.

Edited by LSG501
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah as other people have said I’m down to like play for hours when I have time but like is it a more DX 11 issue, certain GPU? Since I’m in a laptop I can switch to either Intel or Nvidia either way if it does tend to be a GPU issue but since it’s Ram related prob not, but for now I test on DX 12 since 11 seems to be pretty stable anyways 

Edited by Guitar_Dude09

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the bug you guys are after but I have something that might be related to it.

I notice that my game keep crashing whenever I was buying multiple items from the store from open world NPCs for a while now. It's been getting more consistent too after I tried figuring out what made my game crash and in my case, it would almost always be crashing after buying at least 3 items from the store right after another and that's that. I didn't think much more of it until I saw this thread yesterday. Then I started paying attention to my RAM when I'm on open world and trying to buy items.

This is what my fps bar look like this when I first enter the open world (Deimos)

^image.png

Then whenever I start talking to NPCs the RAM would climb to 2k and clicking on the store would make the RAM climb a few hundreds more

^image.png

Both clicking on any of the items on the store and buying the items would also increase the RAM and these could quickly make the RAM climb even further after a few transaction

^image.png

You don't even have to buy things to make the RAM go to 4k, all you need to do is click on one of the items and go back and click on another repeatedly and it'll go to 4k eventually

^image.png

I don't crash my game when trying this because I was only clicking on items without buying them to try getting to 4k RAM so buying might be the trigger to crash the game or that I haven't exceed the threshold of RAM limit to crash. Usually, every time I buy an item from an NPC, the game would freeze for like a second but it feels like it keep getting worse the more I buy and when I buy more than 3 items in a row (4th or 5th buy) the game would froze and then crashed. Waiting after buying an item does eventually decreases the RAM so that should help preventing it but I'm not so sure.

I did attempt to crash my game just now by buying all voidplume in Archimedean Yonta store and I succeed. The RAM was already reaching 4k when I clicked on purchase and then it crashed. I can send the EE.log if needed. The error number: WAR-3570374

Other than this I haven't really notice anything that causes the RAM to spike to 4k.

My laptop does have DX12 but I usually use DX11 with enhanced setting and I also have 12GB RAM. I am also playing using a 6yo laptop but the specs should still meet the minimum requirements.

Edited by Horactius
  • Like 1

Yeah, I just had that bug happen in Fortuna while messing around with my mods. 

Spoiler

6xIchw5.jpg

I did a Profittaker fight, came back to Fortuna, donated some toroids, took another quest and just stood there for a few minutes messing around with new weapons/elemental builds. While slotting one mod my screen suddenly went white, and the game soft locked(bg audio still going).

I get ocassional "Hardware Failure" error messages which I assume is tied to my overclocking, but its not consistent or frequent enough to warrant reporting.

I will say however, I'm getting horrendous RAM usage right on login in the Drifter Camp. 
TNSe4IF.png

ggX7gmz.png

This is starting to affect my load times so I did open a Support ticket on the matter.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2022-12-29 at 3:33 AM, Horactius said:

I'm not sure if this is the bug you guys are after but I have something that might be related to it.

I notice that my game keep crashing whenever I was buying multiple items from the store from open world NPCs for a while now. It's been getting more consistent too after I tried figuring out what made my game crash and in my case, it would almost always be crashing after buying at least 3 items from the store right after another and that's that. I didn't think much more of it until I saw this thread yesterday. Then I started paying attention to my RAM when I'm on open world and trying to buy items.

This is a very interesting observation! Is it still happening for you? I tried myself just now and bought a whole bunch of stuff from Yonta and couldn't move the needle. I wonder if there's some sort of local setting that aggravates this.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, [DE]Glen said:

This is a very interesting observation! Is it still happening for you? I tried myself just now and bought a whole bunch of stuff from Yonta and couldn't move the needle. I wonder if there's some sort of local setting that aggravates this.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Yes, I'm still experiencing this and have managed around it ever since I know about the out of memory problem. I have communicated this with [DE]Purzzle but couldn't find anything that could've caused this yet after comparing setting and spec. Right now, I suspect that this have something to do with my hardware.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Horactius said:

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Yes, I'm still experiencing this and have managed around it ever since I know about the out of memory problem. I have communicated this with [DE]Purzzle but couldn't find anything that could've caused this yet after comparing setting and spec. Right now, I suspect that this have something to do with my hardware.

Wow! Okay, what are you buying specifically? I'd like to clone your account to the dev cluster and retrace your steps if I can.

Found something: just going to trade tokens with Father and then cancelling the purchase over and over bloats a lot of memory (but it comes down after) -- we'll optimize this now.

Edit 2: it's related to the number of placed decorations in your ship which is why not everyone sees this.

Edited by [DE]Glen
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, [DE]Glen said:

Found something: just going to trade tokens with Father and then cancelling the purchase over and over bloats a lot of memory (but it comes down after) -- we'll optimize this now.

Edit 2: it's related to the number of placed decorations in your ship which is why not everyone sees this.

Thank you for the updates! I didn't expect decorations to affect RAM usage when buying things in open world at all. Thank you for optimizing this 😃

Edit: I wanted to add that clicking and then buying things seems to be more effective in increasing the RAM usage than clicking on something, returning, and then clicking on something new over and over again but I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by Horactius
additional info
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Horactius said:

Thank you for the updates! I didn't expect decorations to affect RAM usage when buying things in open world at all. Thank you for optimizing this 😃

Edit: I wanted to add that clicking and then buying things seems to be more effective in increasing the RAM usage than clicking on something, returning, and then clicking on something new over and over again but I'm not 100% sure.

The code has been dramatically optimized for the next update however your 2741 placed decorations will still tax certain parts of the purchasing UI to some extent. The problem is we need to cross-reference decorations you've placed with the products being displayed to show how many you might already own and this is complicated to handle things like bundles. It's also a temporary memory expense: once it's cross-referenced the counts it can release the memory for background cleanup so that number should drop down over time (this is, unfortunately, frame-rate dependent, so on slower machines that might take a few seconds)

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, [DE]Glen said:

The code has been dramatically optimized for the next update however your 2741 placed decorations will still tax certain parts of the purchasing UI to some extent. The problem is we need to cross-reference decorations you've placed with the products being displayed to show how many you might already own and this is complicated to handle things like bundles. It's also a temporary memory expense: once it's cross-referenced the counts it can release the memory for background cleanup so that number should drop down over time (this is, unfortunately, frame-rate dependent, so on slower machines that might take a few seconds)

I see, thank you for letting me know. Personally, I don't really mind it much anymore after knowing what's happening because I've been able to manage around it the whole time but any more optimization is always appreciated 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Uh... Would a memory leak cause the open world areas to think I did something that didn't happen? So far, this has only happened twice.

First, I tried and failed a bounty mission at the plains of eidolon during a night phase and went back to Cetus without hunting any eidolons. When the loading process got done, the game seemed to think I killed an eidolon and rewarded me accordingly.

Second, I went to Orb Vallis to get some resources and fish. I unfortunately forgot to equip a fishing spear, so I went back to Fortuna right away. However, the loading process seemed to think I killed an Exploiter Orb when I haven't and considered that Nightwave objective to be complete. 

I've been noticing some really severe stuttering in ESO lately so this thread got my attention and I would like to help.

My memory usage is constantly >5 gb though and then goes up from there (5gb is sitting in my orbiter after loading and before doing anything), is this normal if you have certain settings turned on or is it indicative of a constant problem?

Edited by cute_moth.npc

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Tenno! 

So, today (6/6/2023) when loading up Warframe in the background, I received an error message window saying, "Insufficient video memory." The launcher updated first, and I started the game afterwards. I let it load in the background and it got up to the logging screen, as the music from the logging screen started playing. I didn't tab in for a while as I was watching a video on YouTube and after a bit, I got the error message. I ran the game again, but the error didn't come up. The game was reporting 1.3GB, but task manager was reporting 4.8GB being used by Warframe, as you can see on this screenshot. After I logged in, game reported 1.6GB and task manager reported 5.08GB. I have logs files, before the second run, if is needed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that anything other than the background of the logging screen, the warframe with the cosmetic, and the music could have caused the issue as other stuff may not have load in yet. Here's a video showing the warframe, the cosmetics, the orbiter and settings.

PC Specs: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900x

RAM: G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB DDR5-6000

GPU: ASRock Radeon RX 6800 Phantom Gaming

MOBO: Gigabyte B650 AORUS PRO AX

Drive where game is installed: Samsung 980 Pro

Platform: Steam

• 4 months later...

on Arch Linux, if you play with DirectX11 the system's total memory usage climbs until the entire system freezes; the system reports around 90% before freezing, while Warframe's "Show FPS" seems to keep reporting ~2GB. Using DirectX12 this massive memory climbing and subsequent freezing doesn't seem to occur (around 65% memory used usually).
DirectX version was set with the Warframe launcher.

RAM: 16GB

Proton version: Experimental

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K

• 3 months later...
On 2022-12-06 at 9:27 PM, [DE]Megan said:

Note the RAM value while you're playing for moments when the number jumps above 3,000MB (ie: 3GB) -- if it starts to climb toward 4GB you've hit the bug!

Wouldn't this be much easier for the game itself to monitor? Then you can log everything you think it might be to file and ask players for that. And that list of things it logs can change over updates to narrow down the source(s).

• 1 month later...
On 2024-02-02 at 5:26 AM, HunterDigi said:

Wouldn't this be much easier for the game itself to monitor? Then you can log everything you think it might be to file and ask players for that. And that list of things it logs can change over updates to narrow down the source(s).

I second this. Maybe put a setting under Video Settings > Advanced for showing a big alert HUD if the RAM usage goes over your threshold? I want to help out, even though I've never experienced this myself yet, but I know I won't be able to keep an eye on the RAM number way in the corner while I'm in the middle of a mission. A proactive alert would be much more useful as it would allow me to clip what I was doing as soon as it happens, rather than potentially not noticing for a few minutes and missing the event. You could even have it auto-capture things like game settings, system stats (CPU/GPU/etc.), loadouts (you and party) to add to the report.

Edited by thislooksfun

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @[DE]Megan, hi Everyone,

My most common Warframe bug is when it crashes while running (only) PC Windows apps:

1. Warframe

2. Firefox (web browser)

It seems to be as well a memory leak / OOM (out of memory) scenario as well.

Here, all these were around the same sceneario:

2024-02-24: WAR-3937974 2021-11-18: WAR-3842585 2023-11-12: WAR-3838013 WAR-3832441 WAR-3831714 WAR-3774748 WAR-3756395 WAR-3753580 WAR-3726490 WAR-3725927 WAR-3713311 WAR-3687558 WAR-3681411 2023-05-06 WAR-3681411

What do you think?

Thanks,

On 2022-12-06 at 7:27 PM, [DE]Megan said:

Hello! 

We're calling on PC Tenno to help us hunt down the elusive Out Of Memory bug. 

For those who prefer text over visuals: the Out of Memory crash has been the #1 bug on our leaderboards, and we need your help to end its reign. The Out of Memory crash occurs when something in the game has a "memory leak." This could be from a cosmetic, a loadout, an enemy encounter, a change in the weather- the list goes on. The memory leak can often be attributed to when your RAM value starts to climb uncontrollably. 

The request:

1. Log into Warframe on PC and, under Options => Video Settings, enable "Show FPS" 
  2. Note the RAM value while you're playing for moments when the number jumps above 3,000MB (ie: 3GB) -- if it starts to climb toward 4GB you've hit the bug!
  3. Include reproduction steps in a reply to this thread when you experience the RAM jump
  4. Include a video of the experience if possible
    1. Upload to either YouTube or GfyCat to produce a link to your video

Omg and i thought my gpu was glitchy!!!!

Glad i came across this post. Yes, i experienced this quite a few times lately. 

Im unable to identify a specific situation to trigger this hardware failure. It is so random… that i thought it could be because of the latest drivers version.