Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need help sourcing a new Gaming Headset - not sure where to post this

(PSN)BMWWOW

Question

Hey everybody - got a Gaming Gear question for people to please Brainstorm....

So for Xmas I bought my gf a new gaming headset.  I got her the Razer Nari Ultimate because it was labeled as both "Wired & Wireless".  She unboxed it and has encountered two (2) problems....

1 - Turns out that "wireless" does NOT mean Bluetooth.  This really effed her over because she uses it for both Playstation AND Switch, and on the Switch, the controller does NOT project / receive the audio signal via Bluetooth (like how it does on a PS controller).  Instead its version of "Wireless" was some random BS where you had to plug a little USB "receiver" dongle into your console to get the audio signal working.... and the Switch console / dock (for when you are playing on your TV / Monitor) has no USB port.  Ugh.

2 - We even bought a custom Bluetooth Switch controller (the "Fusion"), but that also does NOT project the Audio signal when you plug in the headset via wired connection to the controller... you STILL need a long freakin cable to run from the controller to the Switch console. Ugh.

So this got us shopping for a replacement Headset, namely - and here is the main issue - a Multiplatform Headset that is Actual Bluetooth.  
Bonus points if the headset has a wired option as well.

So far the only one we found was a Turtle Beach Stealth 700 for $200 but she said it was not very comfortable (the Razer is crazy-good comfortable; I have an earlier generation Razer that is outstanding too, and I think that normally they make very good products). 
We are also a tiny bit shy of Turtle Beach because their rep seems to be going down from what we have heard.

She needs it to be actual Bluetooth and Multiplatform so it can work on Playstation, Switch, and also for her Android phone or laptop.  
Bluetooth is the main feature we need in a Quality Gaming Headset.  
Having the ability to run a wire from the headset if desired is an added nicety if we can find it.

The Main Question:
Anyone here know of such a headset - a Multiplatform Headset that is Actual Bluetooth - by a Quality Manufacturer?
We are running out of luck over here at the local shops, etc. 

12 answers to this question

your two avenues for Audio Equipment where you actually get useful input, is either scouring as many Reviews as you can find, and cross checking them against each other - or "Buying everything" yourself to test everything.

asking for advice on Audio Equipment on the Internet, is Armchair General bait. People foam at the Mouth to tell People what to do with Audio Equipment, despite 99.9% of the time not knowing anything more than the Buyer about the subject.
be careful about that. (this isn't limited to Audio Equipment either, but it's very prevalent)

Might also be good to know/think about that the USB-dongle also handles the sound processing for the headphones (in general). That's your 5.1, 7.1, Dolby etc. etc. sound. It usually also stores the driver(s) for your headphone, pushing you through a "setup" the first time you plug the dongle in. If the headset has any "extra/special functions", most of those are handled by the interface between the computer and the USB-dongle (with the help of the driver), and this also includes functions cleaning up the sound from your mic.

You didn't say if any of this (Dolby Surround, 5.1, extra functions etc.) is important to you. If they are, and you need a multiplatform bluetooth headset, the options are quite limited.

If all you want is sound for your "left ear", "right ear" and "mic" + "bluetooth", you might want to check "audio headsets" instead of "gaming headsets". The difference is that audio headsets still generally has a standard "stereo plug" (2 channel stereo + optional mic) as the end connector. If it is a bluetooth headset, that physical cable connection ends up in a bluetooth transmitter/receiver thingy (which often also functions as a charger for the headset). You still need to manually switch the cable plug part (your sound input/output) into the correct computer/console, or alternatively run physical cables from all of them to some sort of push-button selector, but it WILL work (it has been the standard for decades...). Also, if you use the same tv/monitor for your computers/consoles and can run all sound to that tv/monitor, you might have the option to plug your bluetooth thingy into the tv (and get the same sound by cable to the bluetooth transmitter).

As to "what brand/model?" you're on your own. Might be worth it to read the good advice from @taiiat a few times, the knowledge level seldom matches the ferocity of the advice where audio equipment is concerned.

23 minutes ago, Graavarg said:

As to "what brand/model?" you're on your own. Might be worth it to read the good advice from @taiiat a few times, the knowledge level seldom matches the ferocity of the advice where audio equipment is concerned.

i think a good rule of thumb in life is that the more aggressively one is trying to tell you exactly what to do, the less likely what they're saying probably is worth listening to.
versus someone giving some general direction and Comments, but mostly still leaving you to make a choice that suits your own needs(rather than their needs).

As a general rule when something says "Wireless" it normally means 2.4ghz band wireless with a matching receiver. If it doesn't say bluetooth explicitly it doesn't have it.

It's hard to recommend headphones because they end up being so personal to people. Head shape, ear shape, head size, ear size, and whether stuff enclosing your ears makes you really hot and angry for some reason are things that vary a lot between people so I'm just going to steer you in the general direction of brands I know that are available (for the most part) in US/Canada and you can look them up as well as reviews for any that catch your eye at your leisure.

Steel series are making pc/console bluetooth and wireless headphones. You have to be careful to choose the right ones though as many of their names are similar and it's easy to get confused if you don't pay enough attention.

Creative Labs has their Air Gamer line which does bluetooth although honestly I wouldn't recommend them personally because they have a lot of extraneous features if you only use them with bluetooth. For example they boast spatial 7.1 sound emulation but that option doesn't work unless you are using them wired.

Something a lot of people forget is that "bluetooth headset" also encompasses wireless ear buds. Now those aren't to everyone's taste and some people find them uncomfortable but I use my Raycon everyday's with my switch and they sound fine. Do make sure your switch is updated to the software that allows it to pair with bluetooth headsets (this will also limit how  many controllers can be used at once I guess due to bt bandwidth or something).

I'm confused about why you think the switch dock doesn't have usb ports it has 3 I can see.

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

I've tried Sony headphones, but they always sound off. I've never been disappointed with Sennheiser. Apple Airpods could be a potential option, too, they're not too bad for little earbuds, but I don't know how easy they pair with things like consoles.

13 hours ago, Drasiel said:

Steel series are making pc/console bluetooth and wireless headphones. You have to be careful to choose the right ones though as many of their names are similar and it's easy to get confused if you don't pay enough attention.

Creative Labs has their Air Gamer line which does bluetooth although honestly I wouldn't recommend them personally because they have a lot of extraneous features if you only use them with bluetooth. For example they boast spatial 7.1 sound emulation but that option doesn't work unless you are using them wired.

I'm confused about why you think the switch dock doesn't have usb ports it has 3 I can see.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

image.png

Thank you for the recommendations.

You are correct - I misunderstood her.  The USB ports you see on the switch for some reason will not transfer the audio data when she plugs the dongle in there.  No idea why.  I guess it just does not route to the sound board in the device...?

3 hours ago, (PSN)BMWWOW said:

Thank you for the recommendations.

You are correct - I misunderstood her.  The USB ports you see on the switch for some reason will not transfer the audio data when she plugs the dongle in there.  No idea why.  I guess it just does not route to the sound board in the device...?

I would hazard a guess it's because a windows pc is supplying a driver behind the scenes to make the receiver actually work on a computer. You need drivers for basically everything you plug into your computer to work but this knowledge has fallen out of the public eye as computers have gotten more and more user friendly and solve a lot of what would have been issues in bygone eras behind the scenes. When you have a device that requires special software to be installed that normally includes the driver. Consoles are just hyper specialized proprietary computers when you get down to it. Apparently your headset does work with xbox and playstation consoles but razer either didn't include something the switch needs to make it work or the switch is missing something that xbox and playstation provide to the headset.

Looking into this a bit more it looks like *some* wireless 2.4ghz receiver headphones do work with the switch but unless the headset explicitly says that you need to assume that they will not work. I am unsure if they work with only the handheld or both handheld and dock as many use a usb c wireless receiver which could mean you need an adapter to make it work with the dock or that it only works with the handheld because that's where the consoles brains are. Honestly this seems to be a bit of a minefield and bluetooth is probably the much safer bet even if it limits the amount of controllers you can use at the same time as the headset.

A lot going on here. I'll do my best. Stick around to the end, where I think I offer a solution.

On 2022-12-28 at 12:33 AM, (PSN)BMWWOW said:

Instead its version of "Wireless" was some random BS where you had to plug a little USB "receiver" dongle into your console

First off, just because it's not Bluetooth doesn't mean it's "B.S." We all survived for decades with wired and RF transmission for our audio devices. And RF is how a lot of audio-assistance devices for the hearing impaired still operate, because pairing is less complicated.

On 2022-12-28 at 12:33 AM, (PSN)BMWWOW said:

She needs it to be actual Bluetooth and Multiplatform so it can work on Playstation, Switch, and also for her Android phone or laptop.  
Bluetooth is the main feature we need in a Quality Gaming Headset.  

You won't find a headset that can transmit voice via Bluetooth for the Switch. That's not how that system operates.

22 hours ago, (PSN)BMWWOW said:

The USB ports you see on the switch for some reason will not transfer the audio data when she plugs the dongle in there.  No idea why.  I guess it just does not route to the sound board in the device...?

This is incorrect. The USB ports on the Switch absolutely transfer two-way audio. The dongle might not have the necessary Switch drivers, or perhaps you're not using the official Switch dock. If it's a third-party dock, it might not have the same functionality (in which case, that's not the headset's fault.)

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, allow me to be helpful.

What you're looking for is the SteelSeries Arctis 1: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X64MTGL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The Arctis 1 is a NON-BLUETOOTH 2.4 GHz headset that can receive and transmit audio wirelessly via a USB-C dongle and via a wired 3.5mm connection. It works wirelessly for BOTH Switch (via an included USB-C to USB-A adapter that plugs into the Switch dock) and PlayStation 4 (not sure about PS5). I know this because it's my own daily driver; I plug the dongle into the system I'm using and instantly have sound and voice going to the headset.

To me, it's the ideal headset because of the bonus 3.5mm jack, so I can connect it to any device (except Apple products). Many Bluetooth headsets don't have a 3.5 jack, which can be more of a pain in the real world than you realize. It's incredible for traveling, since I only need to carry one headset for my Switch, tablet and airplane headrest TVs; if you only have a regular Bluetooth headset and want to watch live TV on many flights, you'll either need to bring a wired pair or request the flimsy wired earbuds from the flight attendant.

It took me a lot of time and research to discover the Arctis 1, but it was a great find. It was exactly what I was looking for, and I have a feeling it's what you're looking for, too. Plus, it's a decent amount cheaper now than it was when I bought it. Enjoy.

21 hours ago, Drasiel said:

Honestly this seems to be a bit of a minefield and bluetooth is probably the much safer bet even if it limits the amount of controllers you can use at the same time as the headset.

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.   We will have to go investigate if Razer or Nintendo has some outside driver we need to download.
Thanks again.  🙂

2 hours ago, (NSW)BenHiraga said:

It took me a lot of time and research to discover the Arctis 1, but it was a great find. It was exactly what I was looking for, and I have a feeling it's what you're looking for, too. Plus, it's a decent amount cheaper now than it was when I bought it. Enjoy.

I appreciate the recommendation.  We do have PS5's so if it can work with the PS5 then this would be golden.  🙂

Just FYI, we DID see a setting in the Switch settings that specifically says "Bluetooth."  My gf took my Bluetooth workout headset and paired it.  It works fine.  So Switch does have Bluetooth Audio capability.  

But you are correct that its not easy finding a multiplatform bluetooth headset... for under $200 !! 🤪

Some that we found (but have not yet bought)...

JBL Tune 660 Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Wireless On-Ear Headphones - Black - TARGET $60 - Unsure if its multiplatform however, but at least Target has a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.  Not sure about fit or comfort.  

SteelSeries ARCTIS NOVA 7P Wireless $160 on sale - does both 2.4 AND Bluetooth and lists Switch as being capable of both.

Thank again for your suggestion. 🙂

4 hours ago, (NSW)BenHiraga said:

A lot going on here. I'll do my best. Stick around to the end, where I think I offer a solution.

First off, just because it's not Bluetooth doesn't mean it's "B.S." We all survived for decades with wired and RF transmission for our audio devices. And RF is how a lot of audio-assistance devices for the hearing impaired still operate, because pairing is less complicated.

You won't find a headset that can transmit voice via Bluetooth for the Switch. That's not how that system operates.

This is incorrect. The USB ports on the Switch absolutely transfer two-way audio. The dongle might not have the necessary Switch drivers, or perhaps you're not using the official Switch dock. If it's a third-party dock, it might not have the same functionality (in which case, that's not the headset's fault.)

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, allow me to be helpful.

What you're looking for is the SteelSeries Arctis 1: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X64MTGL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The Arctis 1 is a NON-BLUETOOTH 2.4 GHz headset that can receive and transmit audio wirelessly via a USB-C dongle and via a wired 3.5mm connection. It works wirelessly for BOTH Switch (via an included USB-C to USB-A adapter that plugs into the Switch dock) and PlayStation 4 (not sure about PS5). I know this because it's my own daily driver; I plug the dongle into the system I'm using and instantly have sound and voice going to the headset.

To me, it's the ideal headset because of the bonus 3.5mm jack, so I can connect it to any device (except Apple products). Many Bluetooth headsets don't have a 3.5 jack, which can be more of a pain in the real world than you realize. It's incredible for traveling, since I only need to carry one headset for my Switch, tablet and airplane headrest TVs; if you only have a regular Bluetooth headset and want to watch live TV on many flights, you'll either need to bring a wired pair or request the flimsy wired earbuds from the flight attendant.

they weren't trying to transmit voice just audio. The specific razer headset they bought works wireless on pc, xbox, and playstation but does not work on switch. While 3rd party reviews for their headset state this the tech specs on razer's website and the manual do not. The FAQ for the headset on the razer website doesn't completely acknowledge this failing either but does hint at it by telling you to use the included 3.5mm adapter cable with the switch.

Archived