The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we please get a prefer sprint option?

Berzerkules

Since I'm now on my third broken controller that the R3 button is going out on from toggling sprint so often I felt it was a good time to copy/paste an old archived thread that got closed.

At the start of every mission the first thing I always do is toggle sprint on. 99.99% of the time I want to sprint not walk. It just seems like an unnecessary step at the start of every mission. The only time I don't sprint is when I'm running fissures on Titania and I have a Volt/Wisp buff my speed. 

It's even worse in open worlds. You toggle sprint on your frame like you do in every mission but then go to archwing and you have to toggle sprint again for archwing. The problem is when you toggle sprint in your archwing it also effects your frame and mech so you just toggled sprint off for your frame and mech. At least that's what I think is happening, it could just default back to walk when leaving archwing. Either way, it gets annoying having to toggle sprint every time you go and forth between awchwing and frame. 

It's also unnecessary wear and tear in your controller since the default sprint is L3. I've gone through 2 controllers playing this game, the little pin in the joysticks that activates L3 broke on both of them. Everything else on the controllers function perfectly.

If we had a prefer sprint option like we do for prefer map overlay I would be a happy tenno. 

• Like 20

6 hours ago, Berzerkules said:

It's also unnecessary wear and tear in your controller since the default sprint is L3. I've gone through 2 controllers playing this game, the little pin in the joysticks that activates L3 broke on both of them. Everything else on the controllers function perfectly.

I'm ok wit your suggestion. However maybe your controllers are bad? I had bought wireless keyboard + mouse set. I had problems with mouse - that's understandable. However capslock key that I'm using to turn on/off sprint is 100% functional. It's not like my keyboard is some high end. No. Just normal, cheap but not the cheapest keyboard. Logitech mk250 if you want to know more.

• Like 1

Im all for accesibility and letting people play how they want to play. For this reason I also want to point out how silly bullet jumping is both conceptually and button-wear wise. So if you can just toggle bullet jumping or like make sprint actually do something that would be cool. Maybe then I would stop helminthing reave on every single frame I want to use more often and perhaps start using those frames that cant sacrifice anything for helminth.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, quxier said:

I'm ok wit your suggestion. However maybe your controllers are bad? I had bought wireless keyboard + mouse set. I had problems with mouse - that's understandable. However capslock key that I'm using to turn on/off sprint is 100% functional. It's not like my keyboard is some high end. No. Just normal, cheap but not the cheapest keyboard. Logitech mk250 if you want to know more.

I just use playstation controllers. I think the problem is the L3 or R3 aren't made for constant mashing like every other button on the controller and if you're pressing them down while moving the joy sticks around it's added stress. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a planned point of failure to sell more controllers since it's just a tiny plastic pin used in the mechanism to depress the L3 and R3 buttons. 

It just makes no sense to me that you have to toggle sprint every time you enter/leave archwing, mech, railjack or railjack objectives.  Same thing as auto switching to primary weapon ever time you enter/exit RJ or RJ objectives. It's one of the main reasons I dislike RJ, feels like I'm constantly swapping weapons and toggling sprint in between running around doing busy work. it's just unnecessary tediousness. 

Sorry, I'm tired, getting off topic and ranting again. 

• Like 2

I'm still not sure why auto-sprint is deactivated with each state change.

archwing-kdrive-mech, etc.
esp annoying on kahl missions.

Would happily take default sprint with press whatever to walk .
Similar to inverted buttons on tap-press abilities.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Berzerkules said:

It just makes no sense to me that you have to toggle sprint every time you enter/leave archwing, mech, railjack or railjack objectives.  Same thing as auto switching to primary weapon ever time you enter/exit RJ or RJ objectives. It's one of the main reasons I dislike RJ, feels like I'm constantly swapping weapons and toggling sprint in between running around doing busy work. it's just unnecessary tediousness. 

At least they have fixed issue where abilities turn off your sprint (e.g. Lavos' Vial rush).

4 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Im all for accesibility and letting people play how they want to play. For this reason I also want to point out how silly bullet jumping is both conceptually and button-wear wise. So if you can just toggle bullet jumping or like make sprint actually do something that would be cool. Maybe then I would stop helminthing reave on every single frame I want to use more often and perhaps start using those frames that cant sacrifice anything for helminth.

What do you mean by toggle bj OR make sprint do something?

And for me bj make sense. I hate where Yareli/Merulina do that half bj half roll thing.

6 minutes ago, Berzerkules said:

I missed that. 

found it, listed under Changes:
https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1334888-psn-lua’s-prey-baruuk-prime-hotfix-5/#comment-12688040

ah so ironic, they apparently experimented with an auto-sprint option and decided not to give it to us
remmnants of its existence accidentally showed up in a patch briefly...

I suggest we all go to that thread, and quote/reply that line expressing outrage that it's something we always wanted...

Edited by (PSN)haphazardlynamed
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, quxier said:

There's always that guy who doesn't get it. He is really comparing a keyboard to a controller.

17 hours ago, Berzerkules said:

So they have it in dev build, released it on accident and took it away? That's not fair

It didn't work, I hope it appears later, the sooner the better. I am glad DE is working on it.

but to be honest i never ever needed walk at all, if i have to move slowly I can just hold "duck" after all.
Ivara's can be reworked in regards to her prowl so that it forces you to walk (sneak-sneak) until you deactivate it, and if you use any "restricted" manuver - you apper for a moment just like you do when firing a loud weapon - for example a bullet jump or slide will make u visible, but as soon as it is over - you go invis again after some delay.

Edited by Scar.brother.help.me
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Bit off-topic, but I personally feel that we need to reconceptualise "sprint" altogether. Currently, all "sprint" does is give us a negligibly faster movement speed and academically-different animations. I say move regular "jog" speed up to current Sprint speed and do something else with Sprint. My personal choice would be to give every Warframe a toned-down version of Gauss' Mag Rush. No offensive capability, just movement. It's fun to use and would be more fun if I didn't have to use an ability key, plus it's a decent way to cover flat open ground.

See, to me bullet jumping is a good way to navigate complex terrain with a lot of verticality. Jump up to high platforms, jump over obstacles, access cables and masts, that sort of thing. When the game presents us with a large expanse of flat open ground, bullet jumping becomes quite silly, somewhat reminiscent of salmon flopping upstream. An option to just "run quickly" across that terrain without the need for all those complex button inputs or absurd flips would be neat. Necramechs already do this with their "Headrush" mechanic. Why not Warframes?

This way, bullet jumping can stay as it is while players are given a different, simpler option for moving quickly when complex verticality is not an issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steel_Rook said:

Bit off-topic, but I personally feel that we need to reconceptualise "sprint" altogether. Currently, all "sprint" does is give us a negligibly faster movement speed and academically-different animations. I say move regular "jog" speed up to current Sprint speed and do something else with Sprint. My personal choice would be to give every Warframe a toned-down version of Gauss' Mag Rush. No offensive capability, just movement. It's fun to use and would be more fun if I didn't have to use an ability key, plus it's a decent way to cover flat open ground.

See, to me bullet jumping is a good way to navigate complex terrain with a lot of verticality. Jump up to high platforms, jump over obstacles, access cables and masts, that sort of thing. When the game presents us with a large expanse of flat open ground, bullet jumping becomes quite silly, somewhat reminiscent of salmon flopping upstream. An option to just "run quickly" across that terrain without the need for all those complex button inputs or absurd flips would be neat. Necramechs already do this with their "Headrush" mechanic. Why not Warframes?

This way, bullet jumping can stay as it is while players are given a different, simpler option for moving quickly when complex verticality is not an issue.

I like all the absurd flips and rolls. Gauss Mach rush provides so much less maneuverability imo. It's jerky stop and go, I just dislike it. Probably one of the same reasons I don't like mechs. 

I'd prefer DE didn't try to drastically change the games mobility. They did that to Operator already and I'm still a little salty about it. Sling is close to Dash but still not nearly as responsive imo. You still over shoot your landing because there is forward momentum after sling ends. Sometimes instead of slinging in the direction you and you just slowly float up. It's just a lesser version of dash and still annoys me every time I use Operator. It has totally change the flow of the game for me and significantly reduced my Operator usage. 

Then the change to amalgam barrel diffusion, before it took less time to complete a roll but now it rolls farther in the same amount of time. The speed is still 60% faster but they changed what variable effects your speed. I can't use that mod anymore because I'm over shooting each roll. 

It's hard to unlearn 5k+ hours of muscle memory.

2 hours ago, Berzerkules said:

I like all the absurd flips and rolls. Gauss Mach rush provides so much less maneuverability imo. It's jerky stop and go, I just dislike it. Probably one of the same reasons I don't like mechs. 

My point is that right now, "sprint" may as well not exist. The majority of people just toggle it on and forget it (until the game forcibly toggles it off). A minority might prefer "walking speed", but even then Sprint makes virtually no difference. Yes, Mag Rush is very difficult to use, I agree. It's still better than the nothing that Sprint does right now. My Necramech's Headrush is hard to use, but I still use it sometimes. I use it to cross large rooms, I use it to travel short distances in free roam maps, I use it to traverse long hallways, etc.

In my opinion, the problem with both Mag Rush and Headrush is the clumsy controls. Mag Rush in particular is just awful. I need to take my hand OFF my controls to reach it (as I use the 1234 keys for abilities) and I need to hold it for maybe a full second before Gauss will auto-run. Headrush is a bit less clunky, but still cumbersome to use when not already sprinting. I need to sprint, THEN dodge. If these abilities were mapped to just Sprint, instead, then they would be a LOT less annoying to use, I think.

And best of all, you lose none of the existing Parkour mobility, as I don't envision a need to change any of it.

On 2023-01-02 at 1:58 PM, Steel_Rook said:

Yeah I never said I want the bullet jumping gone. All I said was to make sprint so good we dont need bullet jumping to move fast, at least horizontally (like you said yourself in your suggestion). Just let me hold/press a button to go fast and not press 3 constantly just to go forward (anyone remembers the QWOP game?).
Ninja/salmon enthusiasts can still bullet jump all they want.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was at work last week going back to the average ctrl+c, ctrl+v and was shocked how badly my pinky hurt.  I had to use my ring finger most of the day.  I thought I had crushed, sprained or jammed it somehow but couldn't remember how that could have happened.

Then it donned on me:

"Ohh, I started playing Warframe again!"

That game where you have to keep mashing L-Shift to move anywhere at reasonable speed as Volt.  I completely gave up on using toggle-sprint a because it just does not work at all. 

• Like 1

Welp, that Jahu gargoyle event killed my 4th controller for this game. Toggling spring every time I picked up a canister was too much to handle. 

Why did picking up an item turn off sprint? Did no one notice that while testing or was it an intended feature to annoy players and break controllers.