Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

i have a question

(PSN)Xali_al-saachezX

1 hour ago, (PSN)Xali_al-saachezX said:

what app does everyone use to draw warframes? i have some wf concepts I'd like to draw but my art skills are similar to a child's so if someone could direct me to a phone app that'll relatively easy to draw a wf that'd be great

it depends on the brush or styles you wanna do , Krita is well known , but there are a bunch of popular apps 

for me i use sketchbook (cause free?)  example , I did on my phone 

Spoiler

GIMP is a fully featured drawing/layers/photoshop suite.

Irfan View is a multimedia viewer that is very good at saving/converting filetypes. It has simplified photo editing, but not full-featured like Gimp.

Both are free.

Sketchbook is an excellent tool that includes line-smoothing technology. It makes it easy to draw something free-hand.

2 hours ago, (PSN)Xali_al-saachezX said:

how easy is it to use or draw with? again 31 yr with child like art skills 

That depends what you're using to draw and how familiar you are with the software and hardware.

Krita is easy to use if you are familiar with fireworks, gimp, photoshop or any of the other more advanced than windows paint drawing softwares. Like all software though it has it's quirks and you're gonna have to look stuff up if you want do more advanced things than just using paint tools. If you are only using it to sketch/draw and not edit images or do complex filters it's pretty straightforward even with only basic understanding.

Hardware is the other end of that spectrum you're saying you want to draw on your phone does your phone have a stylus, or are you connecting a third party pen tablet to your phone or are you just using your fingers? I've personally found phone stylus to not be good enough when I'm drawing since they just aren't as accurate and have no pressure sensitivity (at least mine didn't). A stylus is still better than your finger which is basically like trying to draw with a pencil while wearing oven mitts though. A pen and tablet is generally the easiest and most accurate hardware to use even if it's not quite the same as a physical pencil, I found it easy to get used to but some people struggle adjusting.  I wouldn't suggest spending the money for the tablet unless you really want to get into drawing though, a stylus should be more than enough to get practice with and improve your art skills if that's what you're after. You can always get a pen and tablet later on if that's something you want to try.

Couple quick general tips for drawing software:

Learn the shortcuts for undo and redo, saves a lot of tears and heartache knowing both.

Use layers, use all the layers you think you need and more, You can compress them later or delete as needed and it can save your ass and your drawing if something wonky happens. Only having to redo one section of your art rather than the entire thing is a blessing.

Label your layers clearly and use folders to group like layers. This is digital art bookkeeping 101 you don't want to have 10 or more layers and have to scroll through each one to find what you are looking to edit.

Make sure you are on the correct layer. Super common mistake to draw something on the wrong layer if you don't pay attention undo/redo are helpful when you mess you up and you will 100% mess this up even after years of using the software.

Use the increment save option is the program has it. This automatically makes a new separate save with a number on the end that counts up. If something gets corrupted, or there's an error, or some other disaster you now have back ups you go roll back to.

16 hours ago, (PSN)Xali_al-saachezX said:

thx for all the tips have you ever drawn a wf? how difficult is it? if it depends on the frame then the concept i would like to draw is a wf that looks similar to a elephant any idea on how difficult that might be? for a beginner 

I've drawn warframes a few times it was Ash riding a horse wrong, Loki transforming into a magical girl, and Nova casting nullstar. The difficulty depends on what style you are using to draw them. Doing a realistic drawing to match the models or final concept art is going to be both technically and artistically difficult especially with little practice. Warframes have a lot of detail, different textures, human proportions, and hands. As you've mentioned you haven't had a lot of practice so you probably haven't really found a personal style that works for you as of yet.

I'd suggest aiming for a simple cartoon style at first. Where you focus on the specific aspects that identify each frame such as their helmets for older warframes, or stuff like octavia's loopy arms and legs while leaving everything else simple. Starting with just black and white sketching is also a good idea because worrying too much about light/shadow or colour at first adds unnecessary complications as you find your drawing "legs" so to speak. Once you are more comfortable about the basic mechanics of drawing shading can add a lot of depth to even black and white drawings and learning about proportions is really helpful.

You can teach art pretty dogmatically and there are definitely basics that span across the whole spectrum (even if your particular form of art is making an active choice to ignore the basics) but how you learn is just as important in drawing as anywhere else. Some people like to dive in hard mode and learn the complicated or theoretical stuff first, some just take it step by step going over the basics, and others ignore everything and just try their own stuff until it clicks. You don't have to take anything I'm saying as gospel but it might give you a place to start and if what I've suggested doesn't work for you that's fine too because it's not a failing on your, or my, part it just means you should try something else :)

Archived