Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sniper combo should never time out

(XBOX)KayAitch

Snipers have a combo mechanism - it rewards consistent headshots, which is nice, but it also times out (hurting any sniper with a slow reload, which is most of them).

Why the timeout? Consistent headshots are already near impossible (not due to skill, the game just doesn't register them sometimes) even against the enemies with clear heads (ahem infested). Why also timeout?

Could we just drop the timeout?

33 minutes ago, (XBOX)KayAitch said:

Snipers have a combo mechanism - it rewards consistent headshots, which is nice, but it also times out (hurting any sniper with a slow reload, which is most of them).

Why the timeout? Consistent headshots are already near impossible (not due to skill, the game just doesn't register them sometimes) even against the enemies with clear heads (ahem infested). Why also timeout?

Could we just drop the timeout?

You don't need headshots for sniper combo.

Any hit while scoped in builds combo.

I think you misunderstood the mechanics.

• All snipers can get their combo from just landing shots anywhere on enemies body.
  • Headshot will matter the most if the sniper’s bonus is headshot-related i.e. Vectis. 
  • They don’t have timeout, they have decay. Which decrease the combo count gradually every seconds, but resets the time when you land a shot.

this does bring up though - why doesn't Headshots actively interact with the Hit Counter? like, it seems very on brand that Headshots would count as 2 Hits.

1 hour ago, (PSN)c1234567890alvi said:

Also, I think we should have a game mode aside from Eidolon that actually rewards players for using Sniper Rifles. Sniping in a horde shooter makes no sense.

i wouldn't say no to a Damage Multiplier that increases every time you pierce an Enemy. piece through a bunch of Enemies? the last one gets mega extra extra dead.

19 minutes ago, gamingchair1121 said:
3 hours ago, (XBOX)KayAitch said:

Consistent headshots are already near impossible (not due to skill, the game just doesn't register them sometimes)

nope

This is definitely a bug. There's an achievement to beat a mission with headshots - even with Ivara in Prowl taking my time to ensure every single shot goes into an enemy's face it won't pop.

Sometimes headshots just don't count as headshots.

2 hours ago, CoffeeElemental said:

Any successful hits count, not just headshots

Fair enough, I thought it was headshots. Still, slow firing sniper shots just shouldn't have a timeout.

2 hours ago, (PSN)c1234567890alvi said:

Sniping in a horde shooter makes no sense.

Open worlds should be all about snipers, but they aren't, because they suck.

Given the extra setup and faff for using a sniper it should pink mist almost anything it hits.

2 minutes ago, (XBOX)KayAitch said:

This is definitely a bug. There's an achievement to beat a mission with headshots - even with Ivara in Prowl taking my time to ensure every single shot goes into an enemy's face it won't pop.

idk i always get deadhead stacks with headshot kills

3 minutes ago, (XBOX)KayAitch said:

Open worlds should be all about snipers, but they aren't, because they suck

are-you-serious-spiderman.gif

12 minutes ago, gamingchair1121 said:
20 minutes ago, (XBOX)KayAitch said:

Open worlds should be all about snipers, but they aren't, because they suck

are-you-serious-spiderman.gif

I am. Outside boss fights, nobody is using snipers. Join any open world bounty, chances are nobody on the team has a sniper. You'd think killing enemies at max range would be useful, but half of them don't spawn and the other have are killed quicker if you get closer and use AoE.

15 minutes ago, gamingchair1121 said:
23 minutes ago, (XBOX)KayAitch said:

idk i always get deadhead stacks with headshot kills

Honestly I think it's multishot. If one of a multishot counts as a kill the rest count as either misses or bodyshots. You get a counter towards Deadhead every time, but the achievement (or I think some riven challenges) count the other shots as fails for headshots.

nobody is using snipers

i do

Honestly I think it's multishot. If one of a multishot counts as a kill the rest count as either misses or bodyshots. You get a counter towards Deadhead every time, but the achievement (or I think some riven challenges) count the other shots as fails for headshots.

combo scales with multishot and punched through enemies. if a shot hits an enemy, no combo will be lost from that shot (perigale is the one exception to this, if the first shot in the burst kills an enemy and the rest go into the wall, you wont gain any combo because you built some from the enemy and lost it to the wall).

also you mean that one riven where its like 38 headshot kills without alarms or something? that doesnt count multishot because it needs kills, not hits. if the riven wants just headshots and doesnt scale with multishot, probably a bug because the incarnon weapons meter thing scales with multishot.

An Infinite Combo Duration is too easy

there needs to be some downside

how about:

infinite duration

combo increases on HeadShots Only (no more body shots)

combo decreases on Bodyshots as well as Misses (meaning, shooting an Nullifire or Eximus Bubble, or a Sentient, or MOA decreases combo)

what that, I could buy the 'requires too much skill' justification for infinite duration

1 hour ago, gamingchair1121 said:
1 hour ago, (XBOX)KayAitch said:

nobody is using snipers

i do

I'm sure you do, but according to Warframe's own public stats (https://www.warframe.com/2021stats) few others are.

1 hour ago, gamingchair1121 said:

combo scales with multishot and punched through enemies. if a shot hits an enemy,

Cool, but some headshot riven challenges definitely don't work like this.

33 minutes ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

An Infinite Combo Duration is too easy

Why? It builds until you miss. Seems fair.

Downside is: you miss and it goes.

It doesn't matter how much damage snipers do, they're never going to be OP, especially if their damage goes right back to square one when you miss, and even if you hit it kills one and only one enemy.

Lanka combo decay feels absolutely luxurious at 6 seconds, so removing  decay entirely sounds absurd to me. I think it could stand to be 3 seconds for some snipers though, and maybe 4 for the Snipetrons.

Would also be neat if Harkonar was exilus.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)KayAitch said:

There's an achievement to beat a mission with headshots - even with Ivara in Prowl taking my time to ensure every single shot goes into an enemy's face it won't pop.

I don't have this problem with snipers.  First thing I'd check is if it's a headshot kill requirement.  If so, make sure you're killing with direct damage or gas/electric and not bleeds, toxin or heat.

If it's not that, some grineer have head protection from the rear that make it harder, and what you think are corpus robot and infested heads  may not actually be.

With other weapons  bullet accuracy or projectile drop might be the issue.  Or if you're hip  firing snipers.  Definitely don't do that, lol.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)KayAitch said:

It builds until you miss. Seems fair.

Downside is: you miss and it goes.

What?

you're proposing a new combo mechanic with infinite duration,

builds on headshots but Any Miss clears the whole counter?

that's even worse than what we have currently

No

what we have now is fine by comparision

builds on any hit

reduces by 1 on misses

times out with inactivity

6 hours ago, (PSN)c1234567890alvi said:

Also, I think we should have a game mode aside from Eidolon that actually rewards players for using Sniper Rifles.

Disruption? You only need to kill ~8 enemies per rotation, 4 of which are some of the tankiest mobs in the game.

Void Cascade also falls along those lines.

• 1 month later...

You can always use an ability that makes enemies invulnerable + cc'd like Trinity's Well of Life, or Xaku's Gaze and use those enemies to build combo. This is really only good for missions where you can stay in the same room for a while like defense, survival or disruption. It works well with the Perigale's passive for infinite as long as you're host, if your'e a client, the game doesn't register the 4 consecutive headshots correctly and you just waste all your ammo.

I agree for two reasons:
*Snipers are clumsy for hectic matches.
*The combo complexity/stacking does not make snipers any more efficient at killing and hitting than other properly no scope weapons.

I know that sniper is a stealth weapon but I think this category could be more useful and fun, maybe new skill mods, make the player invisible on hit or freeze nearby enemies when hitting the target enemy. idk

Archived