Jump to content
General Bug Report Guidelines - Please Read ×

Intel ARC External Display Issue


BirrdofdatLife
 Share

Recommended Posts

I just got a brand new HP Specter 16 inch x360 laptop but theres huge issues when playing Warframe.

2 issues, 1st I am having is that theres a lot of stuttering then in missions and overall performance while being set on minimum settings everything is on low and Warframe can't even stay above 30fps on a $2,000+ laptop.... the framerate bounces between 10 fps to 60 fps and doesn't stay constant to even be playable its an absolute mess and unplayable. The frame times are 30millisecounds to 70millisecounds its terrible to play on.

My 2nd issue is that when attached to an external monitor and launching Warframe for the first time the fps to load goes from 60fps for one or 2 secs and then jumps to 11fps to then 2 fps and stays stuck on the loading page to what seems to be about 75% to 80% and just stays there and hangs. and I let it sit there for 5 mins and doesn't load in the login account option. Warframe will only load correctly if it starts with the main monitor mode with the laptop display.

I have a 12th Gen Intel Core i7-1260P, 32gb of memory DDR4, Both Intel Xe Graphics and a Intel ARC 370M with 4gb VRAM.

You would think that a $2,500 laptop wouldn't have issues and act like a potato pc......

And no HP didn't offer this configuration with a Nvidia GPU, if it was offered I would have gone for it.....

I cross my fingers that within 3 - 6 months DE might actually improve how Intel ARC handles Warframe cause its trash. But maybe I should be complaining to Intel about how terrible Intel ARC GPU's are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2023-01-22 at 12:56 AM, BirrdofdatLife said:

But maybe I should be complaining to Intel about how terrible Intel ARC GPU's are.

Yeah, you're unfortunately at the mercy of ARC's drivers not being up to par yet. The hardware seems to be capable, but that it's mostly the drivers letting things down currently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

Yeah, you're unfortunately at the mercy of ARC's drivers not being up to par yet. The hardware seems to be capable, but that it's mostly the drivers letting things down currently.

Warframe is completely unplayable. Super annoying! can't even get past the first loading screen it takes ages to finally get to the orbiter taking 10mins and once I am in the orbiter I can't do anything.... how am I going to play Warframe at 3 fps???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem is probably the Intel ARC drivers, it's been "a thing" for a while. Intel made a strategic error and based the drivers for the new ARC on the drivers for integrated graphics, and created a heap of problems for themselves. Including having to speed-develop a completely new driver architecture for the ARC. Then they made a second bad decision, adding support for different drivers/versions in "retroactive order", or in other words adding, fixing and integrating support for newer systems (like newer DirectX versions) first. ARC video cards had so abysmal numbers (with the initial drivers) that Intel even made a decision to delay the new ARC 7xx cards until "functional drivers" were available, losing out big in the Q3/Q4 last year. There was a lot about this on the internet, if you are interested.

Since HP usually uses "HP-integrated" versions of generic drivers for laptop hardware, it might be that your model simply doesn't have the fixed drivers available yet, maybe even using the (totally bad) initial driver architecture. You could download updates directly from Intel (if you know what you are doing, otherwise use your HP update path). I just checked, and the freshest 370M-drivers are dated Jan 12th (BETA) and Jan 3rd (WHQL). So "stuff is happening". If you can't get them with a "HP stamp" yet you can check with HP support when they might become available.

Do NOT install the generic Intel-drivers unless you REALLY know what you are doing, who knows how HP has integrated all the different software in their laptop architecture. The point (and the good news) is that Intel really knows their sh*t, so everything rolling out now seems to be pretty good (and end users actually get to use the potential of their graphic cards 😃). I would be very surprised if HP doesn't push the new drivers through rather quickly, since many end users might blame HP for the dismal graphic effectiveness.

Edited by Graavarg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah that really sucks. Hopefully they get things sorted sooner than later.

1 minute ago, Graavarg said:

Since HP usually uses "HP-integrated" versions of generic drivers for laptop hardware, it might be that your model simply doesn't have the fixed drivers available yet, maybe even using the (totally bad) initial driver architecture. You could download updates directly from Intel (if you know what you are doing, otherwise use your HP update path). I just checked, and the freshest 370M-drivers are dated Jan 12th (BETA) and Jan 3rd (WHQL). So "stuff is happening". If you can't get them with a "HP stamp" yet you can check with HP support when they might become available.

Oh geez, that would be even worse if they're on older versions that HP has looked at. There were some improvements along the way for sure so far. Might check videos from Gamer Nexus about the ARC stuff and I'd give it a shot trying to install newer stuff from Intel, with caveats as noted in some of these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/@GamersNexus/search?query=arc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Graavarg said:

The problem is probably the Intel ARC drivers, it's been "a thing" for a while. Intel made a strategic error and based the drivers for the new ARC on the drivers for integrated graphics, and created a heap of problems for themselves. Including having to speed-develop a completely new driver architecture for the ARC. Then they made a second bad decision, adding support for different drivers/versions in "retroactive order", or in other words adding, fixing and integrating support for newer systems (like newer DirectX versions) first. ARC video cards had so abysmal numbers (with the initial drivers) that Intel even made a decision to delay the new ARC 7xx cards until "functional drivers" were available, losing out big in the Q3/Q4 last year. There was a lot about this on the internet, if you are interested.

Since HP usually uses "HP-integrated" versions of generic drivers for laptop hardware, it might be that your model simply doesn't have the fixed drivers available yet, maybe even using the (totally bad) initial driver architecture. You could download updates directly from Intel (if you know what you are doing, otherwise use your HP update path). I just checked, and the freshest 370M-drivers are dated Jan 12th (BETA) and Jan 3rd (WHQL). So "stuff is happening". If you can't get them with a "HP stamp" yet you can check with HP support when they might become available.

Do NOT install the generic Intel-drivers unless you REALLY know what you are doing, who knows how HP has integrated all the different software in their laptop architecture. The point (and the good news) is that Intel really knows their sh*t, so everything rolling out now seems to be pretty good (and end users actually get to use the potential of their graphic cards 😃). I would be very surprised if HP doesn't push the new drivers through rather quickly, since many end users might blame HP for the dismal graphic effectiveness.

thanks for this insight I was losing my mind on this! its not just using an external monitor as was well but even when no external monitor connected that it has issues. so I am addressing that needs some eye balls on this.

5 minutes ago, Hobie-wan said:

Yeah that really sucks. Hopefully they get things sorted sooner than later.

Oh geez, that would be even worse if they're on older versions that HP has looked at. There were some improvements along the way for sure so far. Might check videos from Gamer Nexus about the ARC stuff and I'd give it a shot trying to install newer stuff from Intel, with caveats as noted in some of these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/@GamersNexus/search?query=arc

GamersNexus is great I need to figure something out on how to improve and fix this ARC intel mess or I am going to absolutely lose it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Np.

"Been there done that", it really drives you bonkers.

My advice would be to check with HP, since it isn't totally unfeasible that you need to update BIOS for the Spectre, and that this has to be done first. Sometimes new driver updates won't show up (in the brand-specific update system) until they can actually be used (by the computer in question), and if there are changes at a certain level that might include updating the BIOS (first). Which is something end users rarely do, and laptop manufacturers hate doing "automagically". So you might be stuck with old drivers behind an "old BIOS"-wall. I'm just guessing here, but not totally without reason 🙂.

HP support is actually pretty good, and you can speed the process up by including all relevant information at the start (either HP's own "show config"-software if there is one, or you can run msinfo32 from the Windows command line).

Edited by Graavarg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Graavarg said:

Np.

"Been there done that", it really drives you bonkers.

My advice would be to check with HP, since it isn't totally unfeasible that you need to update BIOS for the Spectre, and that this has to be done first. Sometimes new driver updates won't show up (in the brand-specific update system) until they can actually be used (by the computer in question), and if there are changes at a certain level that might include updating the BIOS (first). Which is something end users rarely do, and laptop manufacturers hate doing "automagically". So you might be stuck with old drivers behind an "old BIOS"-wall. I'm just guessing here, but not totally without reason 🙂.

HP support is actually pretty good, and you can speed the process up by including all relevant information at the start (either HP's own "show config"-software if there is one, or you can run msinfo32 from the Windows command line).

its a brand new laptop I got for Christmas it just took a month to get from HP.com cause I went for a custom max spec build. so yeah there aren't any bios updates I have already tried to check that. but I guess in a month I will check again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Suggesting someone spend an extra $500 is a useless comment even if you ignored everything else in the thread. Spending an extra 20% on something that's already a big purchase is a terrible suggestion.

Also saying the ARC stuff compares to a 1060 is untrue. There are many games where ARC stuff currently has clear issues, but there are some where it performs much much better. A lot of the problems are driver issues, not the capability of the hardware.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

Suggesting someone spend an extra $500 is a useless comment even if you ignored everything else in the thread. Spending an extra 20% on something that's already a big purchase is a terrible suggestion.

Also saying the ARC stuff compares to a 1060 is untrue. There are many games where ARC stuff currently has clear issues, but there are some where it performs much much better. A lot of the problems are driver issues, not the capability of the hardware.

It all depends how much value you get per dollar. And you my friend, are not good with math.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, White_Matter said:

It all depends how much value you get per dollar. And you my friend, are not good with math.

Hitting the sweet spot for value usually means compromising more toward the middle, not spending more.

Maybe you have an extra $500 just hanging out in your other pair of pants, but not everyone does, especially in recent years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

Hitting the sweet spot for value usually means compromising more toward the middle, not spending more.

Maybe you have an extra $500 just hanging out in your other pair of pants, but not everyone does, especially in recent years.

I sadly don't. But unless it is a very tight limit, I'd try to go above my budget for significantly more value.  That's a fair point though, haven't thought of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@BirrdofdatLife

Arstechnica just did an article today about ARC 750 things. I see Warframe specifically listed as having improvements in that 3rd graph. Though I did notice it's in the DX11 category. Obviously it would be better to be noted for DX12 as well, but have you tried the game set to both? Anyway, even though they don't talk about the A370, perhaps that means there's something newer you can try installing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...