Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fanfiction: The Dreamers.

cyberdog176

Hello there, I don't know how many people enjoy reading fanfiction on these forums, But I thought I'd post something here and see what people thought of it.

It's about a tenno awakening from cryosleep without her warframe, among other things.

Chapter one: The dreamer awakens.

It was dark. The whole area was covered in a reddish mist. A lone figure stood out against the distasteful blight. It was covered in metal and plasti fibre- and cradling a repeating crossbow. 

At the hip, a paired Saber and dagger. Their suit was covered in a layer of ash.

All around them- the blight of infestation. The creatures rushed to eliminate it.

It raised its weapon with an extended arm, unleashing a hail of bolts. They stopped dead, crumpling  to their knees.

But still they advanced. They didn’t flinch. Holstering their weapon, they raised their arm, fingers splayed out. The veins of their suit pulsed rapidly, and a torrent of fire engulfed them. 

They shriveled up like sardines. Another wave quickly overcame them, trampling their fallen comrades. The creatures splayed out, trying to surround them. 

One Rushed ahead, heedless of the danger. Crawling, rushing, tearing.

They closed their eyes, concentrating. Then at once, they brought the Sabre to bear.

Their free hand gripped their dagger, They moved like a whirlwind, thrusting and slicing in a deadly dance of fire and fury.. Still, they tore. Still, they cut. 

The dead piled up, forcing the creatures to crawl over their fallen comrades. 

Allowing a hail of bolts to rain once more. Moments later, The veins of the suit flickered, as its owner desperately swung their weapon swipe at the creature that had survived the hail of bolts.

It toppled over, ligaments severed by the blade. Then she brought her Saber down, thrusting savagely. Suddenly they came to their senses.

The bloodlust faded. Gara looked down. She was surrounded by bodies and blood. Oh. Oh. She didn’t have to be strong anymore. She took a deep breath. Gara fell to her knees, leaning on her Saber. Static buzzed in her ears. Flick. Buzz. Blackness creeped in. Still, Those twisted creatures must never see the light of day. It was worth it.

Oh, blessed lotus. I am sorry.

She pressed a button on her wrist. A signal had started to ping.

I only pray that you have found the dreamers. 

We will need them to stem the tide..

She sat there for a moment, then stood and pressed on the creature with her foot, retrieving her Saber with a sickly squelch.

They will never stop coming.

What use is our steel against this blight?

Gara tossed her Saber aside, gripping the dagger with both hands above her chest.

E SHA NA!

(I Will NOT suffer this indignity! Gara thought.

She raised the deadly implement,

A voice yelled inside her mind. “No! Wait!”

Gara paused. Who would be here, in this god forsaken place? 

“I will drive them back.

Hold fast.”

A symbol flashed through her mind. 

a glowing blade set over a full moon.

Blue fire erupted suddenly. They leaped past, engulfed in it. It was ethereal. Almost like an aura. It veiled their features.

They bore no weapons. They swung their arms around, finding their centre. Their palms held together, they exhaled.

Then walked forward calmly, taking no mind of the situation.

They kicked one and jumped back, bringing their arms up.. Streams of energy trailed behind them. They swung them in an arc, crossing their arms.

The streams rushed forward like missiles, each finding a different target. 

As they found their mark, the creatures seemed to evaporate. They looked like someone had dug a hole in them. Gara was stunned. What was that? Pure energy?

She was in no position to offer any aid. They ran their leg across the floor, then kicked it up straight into the face of another creature.

Her palm came up, and a spike of energy impaled it.

They leaped aside as another creature another assailed her position.

Then came a flurry of kicks and blows, all enhanced with energy. Gusts of wind followed their strikes. Suddenly, the creatures froze, as if listening to an unseen voice. Then, like a mass, they withdrew. The blazing figure turned to gara. The blue aura began to fade.

As it did, their appearance became visible.

Jet black hair and a dull blue robe became visible. Silver embroidery broke up the monotony. Lotus flowers were stitched on the sleeves. On their chest, the same emblem she saw in her mind.

A Blade of the Lotus? The best of us?

The robed figure beckoned, Motioning, hand extended

It was more of a gesture than anything.

Gara took her hand anyway.

“Well then, Shall we get going?”

They arrived at their destination. A dormant, cold beacon, yet to be lit.

The robed figure walked up to the beacon, placing their hands on the grooves. Moments later it began to rise and come to life, blue light pulsing rapidly as it levitated its triangular obelisk. 

I do hope they know what they’re doing… Mused Gara. 

—----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh. Like a spark, his eyes snapped open. What?  His vision was blurry, eyes drooping sleepily. Is that… Glass? The ceiling loomed above, Boring as you would expect it to be. Criss cross patterns of cornices laced along, the only flair that could be mentioned.

Something started to glow blue. He looked down. There were tubes in his arms draining some kind of whitish fluid. When they were finished, he started to feel a bit better.

Gradually he realized his body was numb. “Huh”. I guess that’s bad, he thought numbly. His breathing felt shallow, His skin deathly pale.

he closed his eyes, willing their body to work.

Eth tha. Exhaling loudly, Warmth began to return.

Curling his fingers, He tested his strength.

Inari smiled, pleased with himself. 

Inhaling, he lifted himself upright.

Blood rushed to his head, startling him.

Focus. He looked around. The whole place was deserted, dust giving everything a brown coating. There were Steel boxes with emergency rations nearby. “That should be good.:” And in the room beyond- clothes, If memory serves.

Alright then. Let’s go.

Gripping the edges of the Cryopod, He lifted himself into the air, Plopping his feet on the ground shortly after. He wobbled for a moment, then clattered to the floor.

He lay there for a time. Tears of shame marked his face. What a wretched creature I am, he mused to himself.

Curling his fist, His iris expanded as his eyes darted upward, lost connections being made. He felt the warmth rush in as invisible vortexes of energy fortified his body.

Muth run ahi sin a

The void nourishes me.

Spinning, Inari pushed his hand against the ground and stood upright. Right. Rations. Waving his palm over the Scanner, It swung open with a glassy beep. 

Well, that was about what he expected. Carbohydrate enriched Protein Blocks. Bit like tofu, really. Dehydrated, Lasts forever. Fortified with Everything the body needs to survive. Bland as ever, but when did I ever care? They were cut into neat little portions, Ready to use. He grabbed one, Devouring it. “Guess I’ll come back later when I find a bag”, He mused. He waved it closed dismissively, looking to The room ahead. There were empty and broken chambers lined in rows. Why am I the last to awaken? He wondered. Did someone steal them away for something? 

The subjects were all classed as hazardous material, so to speak. Every single one of them had a PSI rating of over 15. That made them very dangerous if they didn’t have any ability to control their own Psi Emissions.

There were 2 kinds of Void users- Those who were born with the Ability or those who acquired it through exceptional circumstances.

Things like void storms or near-death experiences or illegal drugs or anything of the sort. That just added to the risk of releasing them into society at large.
Most of them were a complete mess.

Sure, it was cruel to keep them locked up but the ones who cry foul had yet to see what unfettered psionic power can do.

Inari Shuddered. More than once he had no choice but to step in and shut them down.

He always kept a small razor-sharp disc blade on his person for exceptional fast use, along with a small Ion pistol.

More than half of the subjects had an outburst that ended up with them in a body bag.

It usually started with an argument, some kind of agitation that sent them spiralling out of control.

He repressed the flow of tears threatening to overwhelm him.

It wasn’t my fault! I didn’t want to!

WHY!

He Glared daggers at the glass in front of him, sending cracks rippling through it.  He inhaled deeply, Reeling his emotions in. His whole body was tense.

Hoi un ran mi ru.

I am like still pool of water not affected by the breeze.

The waters run still, not stirred up like a current.

If only I had more time.

I could have taught them.

They had other ideas.

And that’s why we couldn’t just let them leave.

I managed to train a few.

No sooner had I succeeded the higher ups would drag them off for some “enhancement” program.

What were we supposed to do?

Let them kill someone? Destroy the facility bit by bit?

He had a lifetime to perfect this gift.

They had it thrust upon them without warning.

They were a danger to themselves and everyone around them.

After the last incident the higher ups had the idea of implanting them with neural chips to help them control their powers.

Don’t get me wrong, it worked.

But oh, it didn’t stop there.

It never does…

He sighed sadly.

Then they got the big idea of putting them in void conductive suits and altering their biology. I remember them bringing the materials in.

I didn’t have any say. I just watched with horror and fascination.

It took days, but the

The nanolattices weaved a second skin, and the injections went deep into their tissue and altered their bodies. Something about them didn’t look right. Like it was alive or something. I could feel it, lurking inside the nano weave. I dismissed it as superstition, but sure enough, they, they went rouge and tried to assimilate their hosts into themselves.

There was massive scandal,

Public backlash forced them to shut the program down and put all of us into cryostasis to pretend it never happened. Oh, When I see them again, I will….

Inari’s hands balled into fists, Seething. They Had NO RIGHT!  He Glared daggers at the glass in front of him, sending cracks rippling through it.  He inhaled deeply, Reeling his emotions in.

Judging by the state and level of dust surrounding him, they were probably all long gone.

I should have asked more questions, he mused. He already knew what would happen if he did.

They had tried something similar on him years ago.

Just a routine check-up, they told him. Just a medical assessment. Turns out his cup of tea was drugged

Next thing he remember was waking up strapped to a chair.

He wasn’t in his body, seeing it with such devastating precision.

First was the Brain scan, then the tissue samples.

They got really excited about those.

Someone important looking came in, examine the results. The usual stuffy posture, hands behind the back. The dismissive glances at the people working there.

Then, The green light. To experiment on him.

Before that he had felt numb about the whole thing.

Then they brought out the scalpels and rotary saws and synthetic parts.

Ruth na! un e sa.

(NO! How dare you defile me.)

I suddenly found myself back in my body, Alert and awake.

My eyes darted to the doctor with the scalpel, Willing it at his throat.

Terror and disbelief flashed over his face moments before his jugular was severed with a spray of blood.

A nurse started to panic, Making a beeline for the Aesthesia

I eyed the surgical implements on the table, most of them light enough to manipulate.

I drew them towards me, taking aim.

Within moments, my bonds were cut.

Pushing off the chair, I leaped to my feet.

Casting the implement straight into their head.

The last doctor I crushed the nerves in his brain.

Within moments he was convulsing helplessly in a seizure.

Then there was the director, judging by his formal attire and key card.

He was running to the door, in the grip of primal fear.

I eyed the lock, willing it to turn. A sinister click sealed his fate. He froze, hearing that dreaded click.

I pressed on his shoulder, urging him to face me.

I stood there, surgical implements floating beside me.

I Glared at him: “Ah, director. I see you’re in a bit of a bother.

Did something happen to your people?

I glanced at his shirt, noting his occupation.

Here’s what we’re going to do.

You’re going to install me as an advisor to whatever messed up program you’re running, or I slit your throat and walk out of here with your key-card and do whatever I need to do.

I raised an eyebrow.

So, tell me.

What’ll it be?

The older mans eyes bulged, staring at the scalpel and saw floating beside me. They kept darting back and forth, between me and the door.

Then, in a split second of indecision, he reached for his com pad.

Idiot. Fuming with annoyance, Inari Rushed hin, the floating objects clattering to the floor.
He held a small knife, Fished from his sleeve.

Inari held it to his throat, snatching the comms from his hand.

I glared at it, eliciting a groan that Shattered the screen and twisted the flimsy device.

Archived