Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My friend wants to make a new account but i dont know if shes allowed to

(XBOX)The Die 101

Question

My friend recently got banned from Warframe. she tried to appeal her ban on her account, but to no avail. Since the account has a mediocre amount of progress on it, she wants to make a new account, but she's not sure if she's allowed to, since we heard that you are not allowed to make a new account after banning. I would just like to ask on her behalf if its a permissible thing to do.

17 answers to this question

This is a bit of a gray area and I don't think anyone in the forums (save for DE Staff) can give a final word. I'd recommend taking any advice from other players on this matter with a grain of salt.

For safety's sake, your friend should get permission from DE Customer Support to create a new character. Otherwise, it may be interpreted as creating a new character for the sake of evading a suspension to continue the rule violating behavior.

6 hours ago, (PSN)iuvenilis said:

It say its right here:

"we reserve the right to remove accounts used to circumvent any form of restrictions"

i dont understand why this is confusing for people.

that still doesnt say you cant make a new account if youve had another account banned. no rule anywhere says that...which is my one and only point.

the op asked a direct question. they didnt ask for peoples assumptions or interpretations of things they dont know as fact. they asked if their friend is allowed to make a new account after having an account banned. the answer is as i said it was....there is no rule saying you cant do that.

notice i did NOT say that there was a rule saying you can do it, simply that no rule states you can not.

what difference does it make anyway? if they make a new account it will either get banned or it wont. make it and dont invest any money in it for a month or so and see what happens. warframe is free to play...remember? what do they have to loose?

21 minutes ago, cha0sWyrM said:

my point stands.

you are all giving me your interpretations of the rule. why? because it doesnt actually SAY what you claim the rule means. if it did...we wouldnt be having this conversation. there is no language in the rules that explicitly says that the owner of a banned account may not create a new account or play under a different owned account.

unless there is, is there? can someone find that rule somewhere?

DE can ban for whatever reason they want. Thats in the ToS. And there's this:

The creation of alternate accounts will be handled on a case by case basis, and we reserve the right to remove accounts used to circumvent any form of restrictions to the game or the Service including the official Warframe forums.

So it might not be explicitly detailed in the ToS, but they clearly have it in their ToS that they can ban alt accounts for circumventing a restriction. And creating a new account while banned is circumventing the restrcition of you not being able to play warframe. 

And there have been statements by DE support staff (maybe others too) that said that you can create an alternate account if it's not to circumvent a restriction and you can't have the two accounts interact with eachother, for example trading or playing the same mission. 

19 minutes ago, cha0sWyrM said:

my point stands.

you are all giving me your interpretations of the rule. why? because it doesnt actually SAY what you claim the rule means. if it did...we wouldnt be having this conversation. there is no language in the rules that explicitly says that the owner of a banned account may not create a new account or play under a different owned account.

It say its right here:

"we reserve the right to remove accounts used to circumvent any form of restrictions"

If an account has been banned, that is very clearly a "restriction" which has been applied. If you were to use a different account to avoid that ban, that is very clearly an attempt to circumvent the restriction/ban.

Perhaps you'd like to elaborate on what your interpretation is? Perhaps explain how using a different account to circumvent a ban, is not the same as circumventing any form of restrictions.

You may also note that the ToS doesnt strictly say "alt accounts cannot trade", yet it's widely known that trading between your own accounts will get you banned.

If you're trying to suggest that a different account won't be automatically banned, then fair enough, maybe not. But the second DE find out, they almost definitely will ban any and all subsequent accounts. You may as well be arguing that trading between alt accounts is allowed. I think you need to better understand the context and the intent. If you're looking for some sort of itemised list of what or is not allowed, you won't find one. You just need to use a bit of common sense.

my point stands.

As others have said, evading a ban is "circumventing a restriction" in this case. If the alt existed before the ban, an argument could be made that you aren't circumventing anything, you're just playing on your other account which wasn't disciplined (but support could still ban the alt as well, according to their discretion). But creating a new account after a ban is almost certainly a form of circumvention and could result in additional account bans or even a hardware/IP ban.

TL;DR: Do it at your own risk. It's possible that you won't get caught or, even if you are, that they won't really care enough to do anything as long as you aren't causing trouble. But the ToS clearly states that they can and will issue bans for this kind of activity, so don't be surprised if it happens.

Il y a 1 heure, cha0sWyrM a dit :

you arent circumventing a restriction

Let's see this from another point of view.

If someone gains any benefit from owning multiple accounts compared to someone who owns a single account, they are circumventing a restriction.

If someone has only one account and they get banned, they cannot play anymore. Which is how it should be, and how the terms imply it.
If someone has multiple accounts and only one gets banned, they could still play which means they are circumventing that restriction.

And yes "accountS" get banned, they use plural form in the ToS.

40 minutes ago, GilgaMelchi said:

https://www.warframe.com/terms

Creating an alt account because your main account is banned is considered circumventing a restriction.

it doesnt say you cant create a new account if your old one was banned. it says you cant create an alt account to circumvent a restriction. you arent circumventing a restriction. your banned account is still banned...that restriction is still in place and you lost all progress and in game purchases on THAT account. nowhere does it say you cant start over with a new account.

i reiterate...accounts get banned...not individual people.

we are already allowed to have multiple accounts as long as they dont interact. where does it say that if one of your accounts gets banned that you cant play with any other account you may have set up?

https://www.warframe.com/terms

Citation

The creation of alternate accounts will be handled on a case by case basis, and we reserve the right to remove accounts used to circumvent any form of restrictions to the game or the Service including the official Warframe forums.

Creating an alt account because your main account is banned is considered circumventing a restriction.

2 hours ago, cha0sWyrM said:

where does it say you cant create a NEW (not "alt") account and start over?

What's the difference between a "new" account and an "alt" account? Either way you're still creating a new account. They're the same thing.

ToS mentions any attempts to get around any ban (e.g. creating a new/alt account) may also result in a ban.

accounts get banned...not individuals.

can de see if you use the same computer to make/play a new account? yes sure...but can they determine if its the same person, or a family member, or someone who just bought your old computer...and will they actually care? no.

Archived