Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Owned Freighter Ships

(PSN)Solevnt_Golem

So, I had a thought of why can't we have a big fancy ship of our own? I mean the Rail Jack is nice but I think it would be useful to get a nice big ship for decoration in space AND giving a bit of utility...

Lets start with the ship itself.

This ship if added will be offered to the player when first logging in with a special mission. Basically there is a useful mission that could be unlocked if you are able to use a bigger ship and crew... problem is not alot of factions are willing to let go of such a big hunk of space born metal. From there you get to pick a faction of ship, this can be changed later and I don't think it should add a benifit to which you chose seeing different skins of Rail Jacks really don't matter (As far as I know, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.)

Once the ship is collected a mini mission on the ship gives you a tutorial of how to higher a crew, which will let you higher the most basic one for free, defensive and offensive capabilities, again cheapest and free, and establish a medical bay area for healing the crew injured in the mission, and an arms area to give shields and equipment. (The last two are not free and require resources to build, also showing how to speed up heal times and upgrade the weapons being used by yoru crew.)

After that it introduces you to the new mission type, "Boarding Party", where while in the Freighter, you select the Rail Jack mission on earth, and are sent to the mission. 
When in the Rail Jack, your goal is to take down defenses preventing you from getting your big ship to connect to the enimey target. Once that is done you can get out of your Rail Jack and enter the enimey ship. 
From there three mission objectives are presented to you for you to do in the order you chose, stabilize the reactor, prevent the jettison of cargo, and kill the Caption. 
There are benefits of doing one over the other first... though purely based on time. The cargo is being shot out into space once every minute or so the moment you board. The reactor meltdown is set to go off a few seconds after the last cargo is ejected, and the caption is calling in reinforcements for a bigger attach ship to come in and remove this threat.
Now first time is solo, but later with multi player you can divide up and handle each of these individually.

Once done, you are given the reward, congratulations, and then told odds are you won't be able to do that again for a while, with your crew needing time to heal and the ship plundered to be "handled" and "lost" as to not raise questions to your new formed Pirate activities.

Now with the new toy there are new things you can do. This ship (Or at least the docking area) acts as a decorative area for you to play in and decorate, as well as a Caption's Quarters for you the moment you finish the mission. In the docking area your Orbiter and Rail Jack is parked, letting you upgrade and such your Rail Jack from a place that isn't a relay or the Dojo. You can select projects on the ship to upgrade its capabilities when on mission or for it to do passively. A few examples below.
You could ask the ship to take dilivery jobs for a time, earning you passive income from this. 
You can add an upgraded area for mining to mine Cryotic or other resorces from a planet.
You can make an upgraded space suit/hub area to allow the crew to dawn heavy space suits to go out to common battle sights and gather wreckage from the location (Rail jack resorces basicly)

The timer for the mission will be displayed when hovering over any mission node for when you can do it again, this can also be viewed by going into the big ship and heading to the command center.

As new abilities you can summon a small portion of your crew like you can for the "on call" Rail Jack crew member, having a group help you fight the good fight. 

This is the most I could think of at the moment but wanted to share a few of my ideas. I am kind of curios to see what you guys would add to this or remove if this where relaity.
Also sorry if I am posting this a second time, I can not find the orignal post if it exists and figured whatever cut happened last night ate it.

1 hour ago, (PSN)Solevnt_Golem said:

So, I had a thought of why can't we have a big fancy ship of our own?

The Orbiter is constantly kept hidden with both a Cloaking and a Jamming system to avoid enemy factions from tracking it wile we traverse the Solar Systems from planet to planet and do our missions. A Ship that big would be impossible to be kept hidden from enemy forces and would become an easy target.

Despite how Resourceful our Tennos are and the abundance of materials we collect/steal from enemies in missions, we would never have enough to fund or build a personal vessel as big as a Grineer Galleon or Corpus Capital Ship.

56 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

The Orbiter is constantly kept hidden with both a Cloaking and a Jamming system to avoid enemy factions from tracking it wile we traverse the Solar Systems from planet to planet and do our missions. A Ship that big would be impossible to be kept hidden from enemy forces and would become an easy target.

Despite how Resourceful our Tennos are and the abundance of materials we collect/steal from enemies in missions, we would never have enough to fund or build a personal vessel as big as a Grineer Galleon or Corpus Capital Ship.

The question then becomes 'Do the gameplay benefits outweigh the lore discrepency, or are there other ways to gain some or all the benefits without causing this discrepency'

To which the answer is that, sadly, the main benefit 'passive resource gain' already exists in the form of resource collection drones. The other is the mission type, which does sound like it'd be a lot of fun, but this could also be done with existing lore. Mainly, Steel Meridian or maybe Kahl's Garrison launching a strike to capture a ship and requesting our assistance.

On 2023-03-22 at 2:32 PM, Loza03 said:

The question then becomes 'Do the gameplay benefits outweigh the lore discrepency, or are there other ways to gain some or all the benefits without causing this discrepency'

To which the answer is that, sadly, the main benefit 'passive resource gain' already exists in the form of resource collection drones. The other is the mission type, which does sound like it'd be a lot of fun, but this could also be done with existing lore. Mainly, Steel Meridian or maybe Kahl's Garrison launching a strike to capture a ship and requesting our assistance.

I thought about it for a bit, then realized I did have a way that could work... Granted after Kahl joins your party.

The Grineer is having some problems with loyalty issues, or that is what it looks like to me, and this could be something your Lich could begin doing. 
This would give a bit more utility to keeping a Lich or two alive, and further they might have formed deep bonds with troups and what not who could act as spies or the like, as well as a proper deffence force for this ship. This could be mainly for the fact that Liches who join us will be hunted down like we are. 

The mission could be adjusted too because looking back at it yea, it is kind of bad but it is meant to be a big challenging mission where several priorities and choices are put forward.

Actually, having this be a thing players can work on long-term after the New War makes sense.

After the events of the New War, lines between previous antagonistic factions have become pretty blurred after the... Narmer issues.  United efforts made up of previous members of Grineer, Corpus, and even the Syndicates doing something for the good of the entire system makes sense as an outcome of that.  Moreover, that would be a very positive thing, and well worth defending the efforts of.

And, it's based around something that oftentimes is seen as boring and background, but extraordinarily necessary - a transport network.

Now that I'm thinking about it, this could be another use for those Extractors some of us made and almost all of us forgot about later - Tenno can donate resources to this transport network (starting with one plucky ship, because of course), and then offer rewards for doing so in addition to the usual shiny objects we like.  Maybe we'd see Grineer and Corpus with helmets off on the Relays more.  Maybe we'd see expansions for Cetus and Fortuna, as they become slowly more self-sufficient and trading with other colonies.  Maybe Deimos would get new machines installed that allow people who are not the Family to walk around there.

This could become something good for everyone to unite behind and work toward, a way for the player to feel like they can contribute the resources and power of the Tenno toward making the system a better place for place for, and to the people.

17 hours ago, rhoenix said:

Actually, having this be a thing players can work on long-term after the New War makes sense.

After the events of the New War, lines between previous antagonistic factions have become pretty blurred after the... Narmer issues.  United efforts made up of previous members of Grineer, Corpus, and even the Syndicates doing something for the good of the entire system makes sense as an outcome of that.  Moreover, that would be a very positive thing, and well worth defending the efforts of.

And, it's based around something that oftentimes is seen as boring and background, but extraordinarily necessary - a transport network.

Now that I'm thinking about it, this could be another use for those Extractors some of us made and almost all of us forgot about later - Tenno can donate resources to this transport network (starting with one plucky ship, because of course), and then offer rewards for doing so in addition to the usual shiny objects we like.  Maybe we'd see Grineer and Corpus with helmets off on the Relays more.  Maybe we'd see expansions for Cetus and Fortuna, as they become slowly more self-sufficient and trading with other colonies.  Maybe Deimos would get new machines installed that allow people who are not the Family to walk around there.

This could become something good for everyone to unite behind and work toward, a way for the player to feel like they can contribute the resources and power of the Tenno toward making the system a better place for place for, and to the people.

That would work too, I was more thinking for "selfish" reasons where the player basicly has something to add to their collection as it where... kind of what happened to the rail jack and the arc wing in my opinion... I mean the last time I used the arc wing was to collect resorces because it was needed for... can't remember what the boss is called but you need a special item for it. If it wasn't for that the last time I truely put on the wings to fly around in space would have been... I think an actual year or two ago if we want to exclude quickly moving about the open worlds.

But ya, being able to contribute to the system would be nice. Thinking about it and reading this a few times made me think of how cool it would be to not only have these ties to the system, but give reason to how some entities know eachother dispite being worlds apart... for example how the one vent kid came to know Grandma all on his own. 

9 hours ago, (PSN)Solevnt_Golem said:

That would work too, I was more thinking for "selfish" reasons where the player basicly has something to add to their collection as it where... kind of what happened to the rail jack and the arc wing in my opinion... I mean the last time I used the arc wing was to collect resorces because it was needed for... can't remember what the boss is called but you need a special item for it. If it wasn't for that the last time I truely put on the wings to fly around in space would have been... I think an actual year or two ago if we want to exclude quickly moving about the open worlds.

But ya, being able to contribute to the system would be nice. Thinking about it and reading this a few times made me think of how cool it would be to not only have these ties to the system, but give reason to how some entities know eachother dispite being worlds apart... for example how the one vent kid came to know Grandma all on his own. 

The sense of progression isn't just limited to getting bigger and better items - it's also seeing the world around you evolve and change as time goes on, as different factions adapt and change with the times, as people do.  All the people of the origin system are descended from humanity after all, and still follow human tendencies.

To me though, it isn't enough to just see the different antagonist factions doing things that give us new frames - it's seeing the people of the system in the background coming together, and making the choice to help one another rather than remain divided.  That can be pretty powerful storytelling stuff, and us as players/Tenno being able to invest time and resources into it, and see it grow and evolve over time gives us more personal investment not only to the game in general, but the storytelling of the setting as it is.

What would be really funny is if this transport network started getting big donations from an anonymous source, who later on turns out to be Hunhow, who would see this as the best way to spit in the Orokin's eye and help build something they would absolutely hate.  In fact, having the Tenno and Hunhow actually get to be on speaking terms, let alone friendly because of bonding over how terrible the Orokin are would be really, really funny. 

Not to mention the wide open arena for jokes the Operator can make to Shadow standing right there.  "So Shadow - found yourself yet?  No?   Yeah, finding yourself is an important journey that takes time" just to rub it in.

On 3/26/2023 at 3:11 AM, EinheriarJudith said:

for warframe probably not. BUT, i think if DE were going to make a space sim using the same railjack gameplay i would be all for it. we need more space sims.

As long as it was based around the grineer gameplay, corpus proxima isn't railjack at all, just normal missions with an extra step.

40 minutes ago, Joezone619 said:

s long as it was based around the grineer gameplay,

this is what i meant. definitely need more of it. i dont mind the corpus one but i prefer the grineer one like most others do.

Edit: i wonder if DE changed it to start from the corpus ship doing regular ground missions that transitioned to rail jack at the end would change peoples mind about it.

Honestly, I think DE should invest into something where we the players actually have a long term effect in the game that is visable, not just "Go kill the same invisable boi 18 times more, somehow he is still getting back up, even after you sent his butt to jupitor with the Atlas."

Honeslty, the only progress that I say exists in Warframe where you can point at and say you are changign something is we got a boi in a box, and that boi turned out to be some kind of paradox ghost who might as well be the one cat person from Hellsing.

Infact I might have an idea ot kickstart this...
"Sol Relay", a "near sun" relay, we the tenno begin crafting it as a major event, going to different worlds to collect different resorces asked of in that day... and based on how long it takes to build those who want the tenno to cook could start trying to sabatoge the Relay or our missions as an active way of stoping it. We work with different factions to gather information on trade routs or the like and start making a suport network for hte relay, maybe add/create a new faction or two base in there for individuals like Kahl opening up new missions that you can do with the boi outside the weekly mission... maybe some kind of multi player with it to (No idea how that will work I will admit.)
This Relay acts as not a dojo or one person's play housse, but a new relay, properly updated to the current times, showing off all the factions the game has so far, and even offer special things for it. Heck maybe a "thank you" board for all the players who helped build it. From there it can be the center to launch big system changing events where we can begin to affect things in a bigger way than just, again, going to the rat maze and ask why there is still a group under a very dead Vor.

Alright... here is a small example of what I have in mind...

The gathering resources thing could be an Excavation set of mission... or a fusion of it and Defense where you defend a large excavator and feed it power cells from enimies that come in...

Gather trade root information comes from spy missions and maybe some rail jack missions to collect info from those that are active in the moment.

Heck, maybe you could loot for plans on things like Moas and such from the Corpus to add "profits" to the relay, or even add new missions for future things to the said Relay for future missions you could launch from it.

Archived