Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hey, where would I go to report an offensive pet name?

VladYvhv

Question

11 answers to this question

Warframe support. Bear in mind that something like that is probably at most a grey area to most people, since whilst it's referring to racisim, it's not itself using inflammatory or offensive language, so you may not get anywhere. 

• Like 6

Racism is a bad thing

but the word 'racism' is not in itself a bad word.

For example someone could name a pet "Down with Racism" and that's not offensive.

I'm not entirely sure how to Interpret that pet name. but at first glance it doesn't seem to be offensive...

?what is your interpretation of it's meaning?

I'm assuming IN-game it pops up the message:  "CEO of Racism is Down" whenever their pet gets shot. again, that sounds like its not offensive. because 'down with racism' is actually a positive message, if anything.

Edited by (PSN)haphazardlynamed
  • Like 5

Ehhh you can try contacting Support. 

I'd be a bit hesitant personally, because unless the word was explicitly a racial slur itself, it may not actually carry the negative connotation some can infer. Like in some cultures, there is a fruit that in that specific region/culture is what some people refer to themselves as, because there are a lot of the three that creates them around. So its a self designation term, and a term of endearment. In some other cultures elsewhere, that same fruit and term is actually a slur, some people use to insult or cause offence. However its also again, the name of a fruit and tree, and pops up in the english language a lot, so unless the actual context is someone using it in a racially charged negative way, the word in itself is not likely to be censored or banned. Its context dependant. 

"CEO of Racism" isn't as innocent necessarily, but could be a joke, could be ironic, could be a lot of things other than an explicit endorsement of racism. Hence. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VladYvhv said:

CEO = Chief Executive Officer. The head of a company, basically. To me, it sounds like they're promoting racism. It would seem to be a pro-racism name.

Sorry, but I don't see it.

this sounds to me like it's equivalent to naming your pet "Trump"

It gives the hilarious result of "Trump is Down" showing up In-game. But it doesn't Actually Promote his views and policies.

(note, Trump == literally a CEO of Racism)

-perhaps this is a cultural misinterpretation? you should realize that in the USA we don't actually Like CEOs, we consider them to be Bad People. White collar criminals. Agent Smith. so 'CEO of Racism' is actually implying that the owner is Against, not Promoting racism.

Edited by (PSN)haphazardlynamed
  • Like 2

If you see someone naming things really damn inappropriately, like with the N-word or antisemitic stuff, that is worth reporting to Support (which btw is where you report stuff in basically every single online game...).

But if it is something milder, you tread on the border of just acting like a Karen. What is inappropriate or offensive is in most cases quite subjective. Different words have different meanings in different cultures, also, to different people in a culture. 

Just because YOU find something offensive it may not be offensive to most others. Trying to police things in the name of everyone just because in YOUR PERSONAL opinion it is offensive can easily become more toxic than the perceived toxicity you want to go against, so mind your approach to reporting people for what you think may be offensive.

"CEO of racism is down!" sounds like a good thing to me actually...

Edited by Mr.SpookSpook
  • Like 5

This will almost definitely be looked at once and then ignored.

It's far from the level of offence that one would consider reportable and even has lore connotations when you look into the different syndicates.

As said above more flagrant breaches of decorum are the kind of thing you report, not something so light hearted by comparison.

I'm not sure if the PC interface differs from the PS5 interface, but on PS5 you can report this in-game via the chat window.  Select the chat tab for your group, and on the right of the chat it should show a list of the members of your squad, including the person with the pet.  Right-click their name and you should get a drop-down where you can report an offensive name.

If the member is no longer in your squad, you can go to the Communication section in the pause menu, and in one of the options (I believe it's "Friends") there should be a part of the screen where it has a list of people who have recently been in your squad; you can report them from this place as well.

On 2023-05-24 at 2:57 AM, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

Sorry, but I don't see it.

this sounds to me like it's equivalent to naming your pet "Trump"

It gives the hilarious result of "Trump is Down" showing up In-game. But it doesn't Actually Promote his views and policies.

(note, Trump == literally a CEO of Racism)

-perhaps this is a cultural misinterpretation? you should realize that in the USA we don't actually Like CEOs, we consider them to be Bad People. White collar criminals. Agent Smith. so 'CEO of Racism' is actually implying that the owner is Against, not Promoting racism.

Not cultural, exactly. I'm from the USA. Native American. I've dealt with racist stuff IRL. I don't find any humor in the pet name. Honesty, everyone defending this name distrubs me. It's not funny. It's at best tasteless.

• Like 2