Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Attempt at designing a Tattoo/Warlock frame.

(PSN)OnionSlayer27

I was inspired by the various fan frame concepts on display here and wanted to give a shot at contributing by making one. So first and foremost, I want to thank the artists both at Digital Extremes and the fantastic community. The idea is to have him have an emphasis on D.O.T. with a passive that gives you energy efficiency and buffs based on kills you garner using status. 

TNS8cty.png

I apologize if there's some failing in the design. Warframe's artstyle is fairly difficult for me to emulate.

The art is all original. There's also a mish mash if other influences in there as well, I tried to incorporate elements of both Pacific Islander and Aztec culture, as well as a little bit of Zelda influence, as well as Numetal. I've heard people call it "overdesigned" but I tried to play a little off Garuda and I'd argue that the visual style of Warframe as I understand it, is fairly overdesigned. Using Keith Thompson's work as a reference made me feel I was lacking. 

The four tattoos are impermanent placeholders for the tattoos he'd have on his arm, which he shoots out to spread their respective statuses. Spreading status on enemies then opens options with his subsequent abilities that are afflicted with his first ability. Which has the working name: Avatar's Affliction.

I tried to play mostly with the idea of blood sacrifices as his passive to give him his identity as a Warlock. The indicator on the right is meant to give you two benefits.

1) It raises when you accumulate kills using the specific DOT status types. Filling certain tiers of the meter would give you bonuses like more bleed status or damage reduction.

2) When you cast an ability, a portion of the energy cost is reduced by the resource in the indicator to save you efficiency on casting. 

I also tried to show the higher the meter is raised, his tattoos could glow as a secondary indicator.

2KCxJD6.pngfcVhOnt.jpeg

The indicator is also meant to give you a kind of feedback loop so you never really have to fixate on managing it. The more you use your ability to spread status and DOT kills/ticks, the more you're gonna end up refilling it. 

Ideas for his second ability, canvas of flesh, is to expedite 10 procs of any enemy hit by the status from his first ability. The point of impact on that enemy will then generate a field that gives you more crit chance.

His 3rd, ritual reinforcement, gives you some percentage of armor based on status afflicted enemies within reasonable range.  

I'm honestly kind of stumped on his 4th ability. Feedback on the initial pitch of the idea had someone suggest that he summons the God he worships to as it flies out of the tattoo on his chest. Which is why their are two dragons on there. 

What I'm sure of with his 4 is that I want it to act as a grouping tool that is strengthend by the current amount you have in the indicator. Like building up status kills to boost your final attack in one big burst. And the grouped up enemies are now easier to spread status on and refill your meter. 

I wanted the kit to be more practical than stylish, and give you opportunities to exploit relationships in modding and arcane use. A player might choose to double dip the crit chance on his 2 by using avenger and Blind Rage. Or make him super spammy by building him for efficiency due to the passive's split in both energy and kills. A third option could be making him really tanky using grace and Guardian plus adaptation to synergize with his 3, then equip a rage/hunter adrenaline for as much energy as damage you can eat.  I was just trying to find opportunities for player expression in ways that every build for him is unique. Something that could preform at high levels and feels kind of like a more versatile Lavos, that trades in the access to EVERY status for a few for more tools to play with. 

Color alt testing:

3mFfHFj.jpegdpjcM7e.jpegaah2saC.pngIbzofBx.pngJbOYJQW.png

6 hours ago, (PSN)OnionSlayer27 said:

I was inspired by the various fan frame concepts on display here and wanted to give a shot at contributing by making one. So first and foremost, I want to thank the artists both at Digital Extremes and the fantastic community. The idea is to have him have an emphasis on D.O.T. with a passive that gives you energy efficiency and buffs based on kills you garner using status. 

TNS8cty.png

I apologize if there's some failing in the design. Warframe's artstyle is fairly difficult for me to emulate.

The art is all original. There's also a mish mash if other influences in there as well, I tried to incorporate elements of both Pacific Islander and Aztec culture, as well as a little bit of Zelda influence, as well as Numetal. I've heard people call it "overdesigned" but I tried to play a little off Garuda and I'd argue that the visual style of Warframe as I understand it, is fairly overdesigned. Using Keith Thompson's work as a reference made me feel I was lacking. 

The four tattoos are impermanent placeholders for the tattoos he'd have on his arm, which he shoots out to spread their respective statuses. Spreading status on enemies then opens options with his subsequent abilities that are afflicted with his first ability. Which has the working name: Avatar's Affliction.

I tried to play mostly with the idea of blood sacrifices as his passive to give him his identity as a Warlock. The indicator on the right is meant to give you two benefits.

1) It raises when you accumulate kills using the specific DOT status types. Filling certain tiers of the meter would give you bonuses like more bleed status or damage reduction.

2) When you cast an ability, a portion of the energy cost is reduced by the resource in the indicator to save you efficiency on casting. 

I also tried to show the higher the meter is raised, his tattoos could glow as a secondary indicator.

2KCxJD6.pngfcVhOnt.jpeg

The indicator is also meant to give you a kind of feedback loop so you never really have to fixate on managing it. The more you use your ability to spread status and DOT kills/ticks, the more you're gonna end up refilling it. 

Ideas for his second ability, canvas of flesh, is to expedite 10 procs of any enemy hit by the status from his first ability. The point of impact on that enemy will then generate a field that gives you more crit chance.

His 3rd, ritual reinforcement, gives you some percentage of armor based on status afflicted enemies within reasonable range.  

I'm honestly kind of stumped on his 4th ability. Feedback on the initial pitch of the idea had someone suggest that he summons the God he worships to as it flies out of the tattoo on his chest. Which is why their are two dragons on there. 

What I'm sure of with his 4 is that I want it to act as a grouping tool that is strengthend by the current amount you have in the indicator. Like building up status kills to boost your final attack in one big burst. And the grouped up enemies are now easier to spread status on and refill your meter. 

I wanted the kit to be more practical than stylish, and give you opportunities to exploit relationships in modding and arcane use. A player might choose to double dip the crit chance on his 2 by using avenger and Blind Rage. Or make him super spammy by building him for efficiency due to the passive's split in both energy and kills. A third option could be making him really tanky using grace and Guardian plus adaptation to synergize with his 3, then equip a rage/hunter adrenaline for as much energy as damage you can eat.  I was just trying to find opportunities for player expression in ways that every build for him is unique. Something that could preform at high levels and feels kind of like a more versatile Lavos, that trades in the access to EVERY status for a few for more tools to play with. 

Color alt testing:

3mFfHFj.jpegdpjcM7e.jpegaah2saC.pngIbzofBx.pngJbOYJQW.png

Got me thinking about that Aztec theme someone mentioned and this drawing makes me think of Kotal Kahn of mortal kombat.

For the art, it looks pretty close to the original arts of many frames before their official 3D design so I can’t say it’s terrible. Warframes for the most part just look like Knights with more skin tight armor if that makes sense. Almost like if they were wearing leather shaped like less bulky armor for their entire bodies. If you can draw an alligator, or salamander, basically do that but with no scales for the details. But right now the drawings make me picture Kotal Kahn and Predator. Which both give off some Aztec like vibes.

The abilities and his appearance is making me picture some crazy OP ideas. Making me picture something crazy like the more puncture, slash, or impact status he inflicts builds up towards an ability for him to use. Different elemental status effects builds up another bar that allows him to use another ability. Each of those abilities are based on the statuses he inflicted upon his enemies to determine the effects they will have for both enemies and allies. There’s just too many to choose from. 

The tattoo concept is making me picture him with 7-8 tattoos, each representing the status build up. Like he has a fire symbol on his right arm and an Ice symbol on his left. He has a symbol for toxic on his right leg and electricity on his right leg. He has a symbol that covers both the right chest ribs and shoulder blade and same for the left that represents slash and puncture. Finally he has markings on his head for the impact status. They glow a certain amount based on percentage of 25%, 50%, 75%, then 100%. Abilities used for said status will cause it to reduce to 0%. But you can switch to a different element for the casting. 

For the potential 8th tattoo, that’s based on the amount of bleeding/kills that build up that goes towards his Fourth ability. And the tattoo is basically lines that travel throughout his body almost like a vascular system connecting to the center of his chest/back. 

His back story makes me think of someone who acted like a mixture between a torturer/integrator and an executioner. And he performed these rituals as part of his method making him a bit too religious for Ballas to tolerate. 

Making picture his passive having said status added to his weapons. They don’t merge to make corrosive or radiation. They just gain the 4 elemental and physical damage, albeit small depending on power strength, and increase in status chance based on percentage gained which makes building up the status bars much easier and faster, plus helps him do more damage. Automatically his passive increases status chance for physical status. 

I picture his first ability being able to summon elemental totems that causes different status effects towards nearby enemies. Can summon only up to 4. Summoning the same totem 4 times near each other will cause them to merge into a larger one with increased range and by the fourth cast, it will cause enemies to be drawn to it to destroy. 

His second Ability is affected by the status build up which is also determined by which totem you have activated for your first ability. If you press and hold to switch the totem to the ice element for your first ability, it affects the second ability as well. The ability affects the stats of the Warframe in the sort of opposite effect it has on enemies. Ex. toxic regenerates health, frost boosts armor, electricity increases parkour, and fire makes him resistant to knock backs. All 4 can be used if all 4 element bars are filled at least to 25%. 

His Third Ability gets a bit more ritualistic as he summons a high damaging physical status totem that either sprout spikes, blades, or sort of hammer like heads while pulling enemies towards it. The moment enemies are inflicted with the physical status, it creates a sort blood pool that pulls them even faster towards the totem. Standing near the totem builds your blood bar faster. 

His Fourth is affect by the third ability totem and when activated he basically increases the physical damage and status chance of his melees by a lot. If no melee is equipped, he will summon a melee in its place based on the totem. A hammer for impact, a claymore for slash, or a long spear pole like the Guandao for puncture. Could be customized like Garuda’s passive claw melees or they simply have limited stats and only default damage type is the single physical damage based on their type. Basically bringing a well modded melee would be the smartest choice. 

Now this is just a mere example of what I was getting at. I don’t expect you to use them for your concept. If you do, that’s your choice. But this is the kind of vibe I get from an Aztec, tattoo warlock. 

But that’s just my opinion.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, (PSN)chris1pat8twins said:

If you can draw an alligator, or salamander, basically do that but with no scales for the details

I'm happy you like it and that you gave so much valuable feedback. It's funny you mention this part imparticular because I think another partial influence for the helm was an Iguana. I tried the whole Aztec/Southwestern Native headdress thing first too but it didn't work out as much. 

On 2023-05-28 at 5:14 PM, (PSN)OnionSlayer27 said:

If you have the time, tell me what you think of the kit I suggested in the post. I really want some of him to synergize with player-made decisions.