Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Give Voruna proper movent animations in her ult

DE gave Voruna in her Ult a four legged stance to go with her being a wolf frame, but they stopped there why not give her a full animation set for her ult. Voruna would be much better if she moved on all fours like a wolf when her ult was active rather than having the normal walk/run/crouch movement. This makes the idle kinda pointless since it doesn't go anywhere with it.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There is one glaring issue that I, and I'm sure many others here, simply cannot ignore: Voruna doesn't crawl.

Regardless of your equipped animation set, Voruna enters a quadrupedal idle stance while Ulfrun's Decent is active. Normally, this wouldn't be considered an issue. It adds a lot of flavor to the ability, including an odd sense of immersion that you may often get while using abilities with other Warframes. HOWEVER, as I'm sure many of you who have played Voruna know, the animation change does NOT apply to movement.
Reasons this is a problem are as follows, more may be added over time:

Camera bobs when making even the slightest position adjustments. (Thanks to Althaline's comment for bringing this to my attention)

Due to the camera being bound to the height of the body (I believe the torso specifically), whenever the player makes a slight adjustment to positioning while Ulfrun's Decent is active, the camera rapidly bounces up and down, leading to some mild nausea. If animations were implemented to maintain the height of the camera, this issue would be mitigated, if not entirely removed.

Wasted Potential and Breaks Immersion.

On top of the wasted potential for having a warframe skitter around the map like a wild Kubrow, this has the additional issue of breaking the aforementioned immersion while using Ulfrun's Decent.

This oversight cannot be ignored, and I'm sure many of my fellow Tenno feel the same.

As such, I would like to petition for one of the following changes to be made:

1. Ulfrun's decent enables standalone quadrupedal animations.
  2. Voruna's Agile animation enables quadrupedal animations while Ulfrun's Decent is active.
  3. An additional animation set is implemented that enables quadrupedal animations. (This option may be possible as a Deluxe addition, similar to Excalibur Zato)

In terms of animations being adapted, these would be, at this time, restricted to Walking and Sprinting animations. 
Additional Crouched, Crouched Walking, and Dodge/Rolling animation adaptations are not necessary, but would be appreciated for sake of completion.

If others see any other possibilities for implementing these animations, or have other reasons to add them, please feel free to pitch your ideas.

This post will be subject to change as relevant topics are brought to light.

How this petition will be carried out is not exactly clear, as I would prefer to avoid using external links.

For now, If you agree with this post, please click the light button on the bottom right corner of this post.

Edited by Dawnflare_CB
adding a camera bob issue
  • Like 12

It's also really jarring to have the camera bounce up and down if you move slightly (worse for me, since I have a... I won't call it a motor tic since it's undiagnosed, but I have a marked preference for moving in all 4 directions in a certain order rather than standing still).

1 hour ago, Althaline said:

It's also really jarring to have the camera bounce up and down if you move slightly (worse for me, since I have a... I won't call it a motor tic since it's undiagnosed, but I have a marked preference for moving in all 4 directions in a certain order rather than standing still).

Funnily enough, this issue is directly tied to the animation transition. The camera level is dependent on the torso level, hence why the camera drops down when you crouch. If these animations were to be implemented correctly, it should fix the 'bobbing' issue entirely. Yet another reason to implement this change! I'll go ahead and add it to the main post as evidence.

• 1 month later...

I don't think I really need to go into details here Voruna isn't using a bloody weapon while in her 4th you devs got the right animation for Idle but Is it really that hard to spend at least like an hour or less animating a proper feral run for Vorunas 4th I mean seriously what kind of werewolf runs like that when ina feral form I mean walking yea but to be honest just running in general should be like a feral like state I mean am I wrong??   

Edited by (PSN)WolfMoom213
  • Like 3

I agree it's a shame, and it looks kinda awkward.

From an animation standpoint it's definitely not as easy as it looks like.

Voruna is already faking a digitigrade setup with a plantigrade rig. Making a quadruped walking animation with such a humanoid rig would basically end up making her knees go through her body or either her butt be twice as high as here head to avoid collisions. So yeah with the basic human rig every Warframe uses it's definitely not just an hour of work to make a good feral run animation if it's even doable in the first place. And I'm pretty sure they explored the issue already and that's kinda why there is no such animation in the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (PSN)WolfMoom213 said:

I don't think I really need to go into details here Voruna isn't using a bloody weapon while in her 4th you devs got the right animation for Idle but Is it really that hard to spend at least like an hour or less animating a proper feral run for Vorunas 4th I mean seriously what kind of werewolf runs like that when ina feral form I mean walking yea but to be honest just running in general should be like a feral like state I mean am I wrong??   

Voruna is not a werewolf. She uses the souls of wolves to power her abilities. Wolf-themed shaman frame =/= wolf frame. Definitely has primal qualities but this has been discussed about a hundred times now. Not a werewolf.

And before the inevitable "but the poll!" comment starts popping up. Werewolf frame was discussed. Werewolf frame is not what was created. Aside from the poll, DE have not described her as a werewolf. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just feel very disappointed that when you use Varuna's Ult you go down on all fours, but when you run or move you stand up again only to move down on all fours when you stand still until the ult is finished. Maybe this has been said before, but am I the only one who wants Varuna to run on all 4's as well while her ult is active, I feel like this is a missed opportunity to make her more wolf like

• Like 1

On 2023-06-01 at 11:51 PM, (PSN)WolfMoom213 said:

People do smooth animation in an hour or less? That just seems too fast.

• 3 months later...
il y a 1 minute, Hexerin a dit :

I've never actually used a Kubrow, so I can't say if I agree or not because I have no idea what they look like.

Wouldn't really work out anyway but at least they're on all 4's. Always felt awkward how she moves. Titania and Wisp got their own animations for pretty much everything.

It's a rigging problem, Warframes share the same humanoid base skeleton for animations, and the humanoid proportions come with it. This means it's not working well for quadruped animations. A common issue with this would be seeing Voruna's knees go through her body when walking and some clunky stuff that would be pretty bad. You can still find a static pose that looks decent as quadruped, but animating it is definitely not the same thing. That's why they did that.

It's not such a hard problem to wrap your head around. If you don't see what's the issue, just try IRL to walk like a quadruped without your knees touching the ground and so using them as feet while keeping your head at the same hight as your posterior.

Just now, Rathalio said:

A common issue with this would be seeing Voruna's knees go through her body when walking and some clunky stuff that would be pretty bad

Caliban's base Noble Animation clips through his back Accesories, I don't think seeing some clipping would be any issue in this game.

1 minute ago, (PSN)rexis12 said:

Caliban's base Noble Animation clips through his back Accesories, I don't think seeing some clipping would be any issue in this game.

It's definitely not comparable and as bad as it would get with a quadruped animation on a humanoid. They only way to make it look decent is have a different skeleton rig or make a baby walk animation instead.

I work with 3D characters and animation, trust me if you will, if they didn't do it, it's not because they didn't want to. It's because that would require a special treatment for Voruna which is not compatible with DE's workflow on warframes animations. Not compatible with mocap and would require many basic universal animations to be redone for Voruna only and manually.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, just thought i would post some issue (there are honestly rarely any with the Art-design and direction), 

We got Voruna a bit ago, but me and my friend recently got into her kit and to enjoy it, which is where 2 issues come up;

One, Voruna´s 4 Just seems like it´s really missing a unique run animation. I totally understand creating a unique running animation is a lot to do,
so having the ability to jump around freely would be really improving the feel of it. Otherwise it just feels like an exalted weapon, with the disadvantege of modding/shooting spontaniously. 

The other one is the Wolf heads, to me and my friend it´s Weird to have the Family just be partially removable, like some you can remove but the others you have to keep on...

those are just two minor issues, otherwise i wanted to mention how i feel like the void-shell skins could really use the Prime-accessories too. I believe the models are the same, and the option of adding them would just be great to have. 

That´s all, still great to see all those QOL updates recently!

hace 6 horas, FabiTheSnake dijo:

One, Voruna´s 4 Just seems like it´s really missing a unique run animation. I totally understand creating a unique running animation is a lot to do,
so having the ability to jump around freely would be really improving the feel of it. Otherwise it just feels like an exalted weapon, with the disadvantege of modding/shooting spontaniously. 

Tha animation exist but i don't know why they don't use it.  

ArchonAmar.png

The four-legged animation of Amar is not perfect but it exists.

The other one is the Wolf heads, to me and my friend it´s Weird to have the Family just be partially removable, like some you can remove but the others you have to keep on...

Not really. The kubrow heads are like cephalons with their own minds but attached to a body. When these heads take off and fly around it is simply the kubrow head own ability (Voruna's passives). It's just something normal in warframe universe i think. 

those are just two minor issues, otherwise i wanted to mention how i feel like the void-shell skins could really use the Prime-accessories too. I believe the models are the same, and the option of adding them would just be great to have. 

Ask Pablo that on Twitter, you're not going to get an DE answer here.
But I think it's obvious why they don't wanna be done, void-shel skins use a completely different technology and to do what you want they would have to create a new skin identical to the design in the primes but with the same void-shel ''technology'' and well, working for free... I don't think it will happen, unless they double or triple the price of the skins.

Edited by CosoMalvadoNG
  • Like 1

So I would love to see for when Voruna prime comes around if DE would make it so when her 4th is activated she actually runs on all fours like an animal rather then just stand back up and walk and maybe add a slight speed boost and a wall running animation from hoping from ground to wall like very rabid beast coming to tear apart it’s prey 

Voruna 4 hability is still one of the most disappointing habilitys I have ever seen in a warframe.

If they can't make a walk animation, maybe they should change it to something that does not make her stay in all 4 in idle.

To make things clear, her ability makes her use her claws instead of any weapon( melee or combat), so you don't even need to worry about anything weird happening with the animation. [ if you had made one]