Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Questions and general impressions.

Antharax

*Skip to the end of the post for the short version.*

A long time ago(Read: About 6-9 months ago) I read about this game in an article of PC gamer. Considering how Global Agenda's borefest of PvE had some sort of charm on me I decided to register for the closed beta. Fastfoward to yesterday. I checked my email and there it was. Congratulations Warframe has chosen you to enter the closed beta and so forth. So I left it to download for a while and finally there it was with it's pretty login screen and excalibur was there, sitting in meditation. First thing I was astonished by is how smooth the game ran on my 5 year old pc. It had one of the best frames per second I've ever had on a modern game. Which is odd considering Planetside 2 ran like butter during beta, so I'm under the impression that my computer is blessed. Back to the point, before hearing anything I quickly ran off to the options menu and I'm glad to say I could turn off blooooom(funny word) and adjust my resolution. One thing that was missing was an FoV slider, which I'll mention why I want it.

Anyways after the tutorial mission I was glad to see that there wasn't a huge tutorial arse in the way that considers me a dimwit and points out mysteries such as "DEES BIG X CLOSES GEAM". I went on the first mission to some ship whose name I forgot as Volt to electrocute anything that moves. After running around in circles a few times around the ship, checking for any goodies that haven't been looted and wondering where the heck are my powers I finally finished the first mission. Checking back, I notice the Arsenal and I descover that I could have upgraded my WarFrame and weapons. One tactical facepalm and 5 minutes of scanning the market later I'm here writing this.

+Pretty Graphics, Great FrameRates.

+Amazing Gameplay.

+Hard. Enemies actually hit you instead of stratiegically miss all their bullets and yell out RELOADING!

+Market seems to allow you to choose between currencies.

+Small range of free options for cosmetic customisation.

+-Silly Name

+- A bit unclear on the controls as I was wondering how I was foward rolling, but I'm glad I wasn't hand held into it.

-No FoV silder.(Field of View) The reason I wanted this is at some points(such as diving through the air like Max Payne) Volts limbs kept getting the way.

-No others as of yet but I've only played once so what the hell do I know.

Questions:

1) When I was browsing the market I kept wondering what the heck Silveranium or Platinum or Fartinum was(And what the actual name of it was). I kept wondering until I encountered the dreadful "GET [insert currency name here] NOW!" button. Doesn't matter, my question is, is that currency(let's just call it Steve) gained only by microtransactions or are there other methods(achievements...etc) and is there something I should know before spending my Steve on refilling revives or is Steve nothing more than a shortcut to getting all the fancy blazing guns quickly?

2) What are blueprints? The Steve purchased Warframes didn't have the words BluePrint in them so I'm guessing you buy them and you do something to gain the new WarFrame like spending more credits?

3) Is there some sort of beginners guide? I've never had any luck with the search function on any forum.

Hello Warframe. It's good to be a part of you. Don't screw it up.

Edited by Antharax

Questions:

1) When I was browsing the market I kept wondering what the heck Silveranium or Platinum or Fartinum was(And what the actual name of it was). I kept wondering until I encountered the dreadful "GET [insert currency name here] NOW!" button. Doesn't matter, my question is, is that currency(let's just call it Steve) gained only by microtransactions or are there other methods(achievements...etc) and is there something I should know before spending my Steve on refilling revives or is Steve nothing more than a shortcut to getting all the fancy blazing guns quickly?

2) What are blueprints? The Steve purchased Warframes didn't have the words BluePrint in them so I'm guessing you buy them and you do something to gain the new WarFrame like spending more credits?

3) Is there some sort of beginners guide? I've never had any luck with the search function on any forum.

1.) Steve is actually a dev here. Let's call it Platinum (which is a precious metal). ;) Save your starting Platinum for now. Once you hit rank 15 on a frame or weapon, you will want to spend 20 on the frame to unlock levels 16 to 30. This system is called "Pro", but is currently unde critical review and might go the way of the Dodo. Other than that, the 3 day affinity booster for 40 Plat is an option, but without room to spend the affinity on, useless. Affinity is XP.

Platinum also buys inventory slots (1 frame = 20 Plat, 2 weapons = 12 Plat).

2) Blueprints are the masterplan to build a frame, consisting of four parts: helmet, chassis, internals and power cell. The latter drops as loot, the other three need to be built from blueprints dropped by bosses. They require materials you collect in the different planet orbits. Platinum skips the entire gathering part.

3) Nope, none to speak of. But if you need some people to show you around, you can friend pretty much anyone here or hop on irc.globalgamers.net and join #Warframe for some chat. :)

Question #1

Platinum is the microtransaction currency of WF. $5 nets you 75 Plats. Aside from buying Pro upgrades to Warframes and weapons, you can play the entire game for free. Currently it is ridiculously easy to earn credits. For example, the Snipetron costs 50k and in one mission I can earn up to 2k creds. Also once you advance far enough, you will start encountering mods that can be sold for insane amounts of credits. As for revives, you get 4 a day so save em for missions when you die right at the end. So no, you can play this game entirely without Platinum.

Question #2

Blueprints are the most important parts of contruction. Currently only melee weapons and Warframe parts are available as blueprints. Blueprints are also the only way to obtain new Warframes without paying real money.

Question #3

No, however undoubtbly there is one being made. Don't worry once you play enough you'll realize that WF is not that complicated.

Enjoy your stay, WF is probably one of the best MMOs you will ever play.

Ok, any help on what the styles of the warframes are?

Edit: And is there a level cap? Or can I just place points in all upgrades considering I have enough points for it?

Edit 2: Also is the playerbase mostly jerks or friendly?

Edited by Antharax

The current level cap is 30. You can spend upgrade points until 15, and unlock the other 15 with "pro" - 20 Platinum. That applies to any item with XP - so, frame, primary, secondary, melee. Each rank gives you one point, each point unlocks one thing.

As for styles: Care to elaborate? All frames can use all weapons. There are some frame specific mods, more tailored to their roles, but "Warframe Mods" are interchangeable.

Excalibur: Meleeframe with Mobility and Spike damage.

Loki: Meleeframe with Decoy, Invis, Teleport, such stuff.

Ash: Meleeframe with Teleport, Invis and AoE damage.

Rhino: Meleeframe with AoE damage and Tanking.

Volt: Casterframe with mobility, defense, AoE damage and a lighnting as its primary ability.

Ember: Casterframe with fire.

Mag: Casterframe with CC.

Trinity: Supportframe with Health/Energy Regen, damage reflection and group heals.

I have a few questions. When I killed the first boss(And epically failed the mission by breaking reinforced glass), I got something called Chronos blueprint. Who/What is Chronos?

Also I keep getting these odd things, polymere bundles, graphite(or something) and affinity. What are these?

Finally, opinions on shotguns?

Edit: One last thing, if you are playing with others, is loot distributed or is it given to whoever touches the loot first?

Edited by Antharax

The Chronus is a sword, a straight upgrade from the Skana. You can build it for 15000 and some materials in the Foundry (top right corner of your home screen). You should do so and learn to love it. ;)

Polymere Bundles, Ferrite, etc. pp. are those materials you need for crafting. Every planet drops different materials, you can see which by hovering ther planet with the mouse or going into it's orbit.

Affinity is this game's word for XP. If you collect an affinity orb, you get +100 XP to your frame.

Shotguns: Ignore the Boar, love the Strun. ;)

Mods are for everyone to pick up, just like materials. If I pick it up, you can still run over it and get it, too. Same for blueprints/boss drops. Ammo, health, energy, affinity can only be picked up by one player. Credits are shard by fractions, I think.