The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yet another frame rework topic, starring Nova

Valfaun

I don't know about you guys, but I feel like Nova sits in the category of frames that haven't aged gracefully. She still has possible use cases, but just doesn't feel up to par anymore. Which is a shame, because I really like her cosmic theme. So here are some opinions and ideas for a rework of her kit: 

1. Null Star - Null Star's offensive capabilities are negligible and that's okay. Lets just forget about that part entirely and focus on its defensive power. Rather than homing attack particles that also protect your Health while they last and require a ludicrous amount of Ability Duration to do so effectively, I would turn them into a swarm of passively orbiting bullet attractors that completely absorb enemy ranged attacks (except AoE effects) with infinite duration. Each particle can absorb a certain amount of damage, maybe scaling with enemy level, before expiring and dissipating in a disruptive nova that briefly jams the guns of nearby enemies. 
Helminth subsumed Null Star has reduced particle durability. 
The augment could be changed to detonate a particle on demand with increased range and forced Radiation proc.

Energy cost raised from 25 to 75, base number of particles increased from 6 to 12 
Ability Strength increases the durability of the particles
Ability Duration increases the number of particles
Ability Range increases the radius of the nova 

2. Antimatter Drop - This ability can deal great damage, but I find it very awkward to use as it more or less incapacitates you while you're steering the drop around. So instead I'd make this ability launch a Simulor-like black hole that pulses waves of Magnetic damage with chance to proc status. The black hole reacts to gunfire, friendly and hostile alike, growing in size and potency (pulse damage and radius) as it absorbs damage. Upon reaching a "critical mass", it begins pulling enemies and pickups from further away towards its center and implodes shortly after, dealing its total absorbed damage as Magnetic and Radiation damage in a huge blast radius with damage falloff across the area. The black hole also expires after a certain time if it didn't reach critical mass. 
The augment could just stay as is, giving the black hole an attraction field that absorbs enemy bullets. 

Absorption multiplier reduced from 8x to 4x for enemy fire and 1x for friendly fire, 15m explosion range becomes 15m base pulse radius
Ability Strength increases base pulse damage and absorption multiplier 
Ability Duration increases black hole life time
Ability Range increases critical mass burst radius

3. Wormhole - Wormhole can stay as is, I would just reduce the energy cost from 75 to 25 or 35 to encourage fun with portals.

4. Molecular Prime - Molecular Prime is arguably Nova's "best preserved" ability, I'd say. It's honestly still good, even though Sevagoth's Gloom kinda stole its spotlight in some situations. I would just increase the base explosion damage from 800 to 3200 or so, potentially also adding some level scaling, and the maximum attainable slow effect from 75% to 90% while leaving the negative Strength scaling that accelerates enemies instead intact. 
The augment would still work with the changed Null Star, but the chance to restore a particle would probably have to be lowered considerably.

Edited by Valfaun
just added a word
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I really like that your changes make it viable/desireable to build Nova for range! Wormhole is my favorite of her abilities and I've always been bummed that her most effective builds totally trash its usability.

Love the idea of losing Null Star particles based on the damage they block/reduce rather than just existing near an enemy. Also needing 300% duration to get the 90% damage reduction other frames get as base functionality is stupid so the base particle increase is huge.

Making Antimatter Drop into an actual black hole is a huge visual glow-up, and I'd love to see it have either be stationary or travel slowly forward (maybe on tap/hold?), as opposed to the current way you have to steer it which is just clunky and limits your mobility.

Regarding Wormhole.... PLEASE DIGITAL EXTREMES, IF YOU READ ONLY ONE SENTENCE OF THIS POST, FOR THE LOVE OF THE LOTUS PLEASE REDUCE WORMHOLE'S ENERGY COST! This is a pointless relic of an era when every warframe's third ability was supposed to cost 75 energy - but times have changed. Thermal Sunder is 50 energy. Breach Surge is only 35. Why is Wormhole stuck at 75?

Ahem. And with Molecular Prime I don't necessarily think it *needs* a higher slow cap (but hey why not right?) but changing the explosions to still matter beyond Saturn would be fun.