The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So many Frost threads....

Raarsi

Seeing all of these Frost threads recently tells me a couple of things, with the biggest of them being that I'm not actually sure people actually know how to play Frost in this day and age.  Don't worry, I don't either, but it seems to me that the only reason why he might feel "outdated" is because different players will always have different playstyles, which might include playstyles that work for other frames, but not for Frost.

Also, it leads me to believe that these threads are possibly started by people who actually bought that overpriced Heirloom set.  No judging, y'all spend your money how you want, but that's what it seems like.

23 minutes ago, Raarsi said:

Also, it leads me to believe that these threads are possibly started by people who actually bought that overpriced Heirloom set. 

Yeah, usually when some character in any videogame has a new cool (pun not intended) cosmetic it draws attention.

I've been giving Frost another chance after not knowing how to properly build him. Just had a blast in defense, really brings back very early day memories!

EDIT: I also hate to admit I had to triple check how Snowglobe worked now :p

Tbh, Frost is incredibly outdated now. He's still my most used frame despite having barely used him for years. I spent 6ish years maining Frost, but now he's massively overshadowed by so many other frames.

His snow globe collapses in steel path easily. His Freeze has 1 use only, popping Snow Globe. Ice wave... man that ability makes me sad... and Avalanche, the only viable ability on Frost in SP, does nothing to Overguard.

Frosts 2 best things are just Avalanche and Biting Frost, his augment that really should be his passive. This leads to Frost doing nothing incredibly well. Want overguard? Use Styanax. Want a defence frame? Use Limbo. Want a CC frame? Use Limbo, Vauban, Volt, Zephyr, Nova, Khora.
Now you could say it's worth taking Frost for all of those, but... he does none of them well enough to replace any of those frames listed.

Styanax does good damage ontop of not being gimped by enemy overguard.
Limbo is only broken by Nullifiers, surprise surprise, so is Frost, except Limbo provides 100% perfect protection against anything ranged (other than Eximus, neither does Frost). Ontop of this he can stop literally all non overguarded melee enemies from reaching a defence objective. Frost can't.
All the other CC Frames listed have stronger, more damaging, and more "hard" or supportive CC abilities that provide more value, at less risk, with easy support.

Frost just really needs an update man... bring my cold boy back

Made him my main when he was neither popular nor strong.

He was one of the first frames that really stood out for me, so I just traded parts for him. I knew his kit was pretty bad at the time, but that didn't really stop me, considering I just had a large choice of really strong guns, both single target and AoE. Later down the line, I ended up using Umbra formas, back when avalanche required 250% strength or above to fully strip armor, and only for the duration that enemies were locked in ice. And even then, it still somehow felt fine to me. Even later, Sevagoth became a thing, and I slapped Gloom over Frost's 2, so on your average standard level steel path mission, I never came close to dying, any damage I'd taken was lowered by Adaptation, absorbed by Icy Avalanche, and at worst, regenerated through gloom, which was already at its 95% cap (because I was running 276% strength at the time).

Then Veilbreaker came and Frost just got infinitely better at armor stripping, yet pretty much no one gave a crap. All the "hype" came about when they turned Icy Avalanche and Iron Skin into Overguard mechanics, and Styanax got his Intrepid Stand mod. Suddenly the word got out and everyone got angry at Frost not gaining infinite Overguard like Styanax did. Then he got buffed again, and now Frost can brainlessly spam 4, like he was already able to several months prior but now oogabooga number went bigger despite having no real impact on gameplay where balance changes would make or break a frame.

I think the key issue people have with Frost is that his kit is really only oriented around being a complete pest to the enemies, and not so much being a source of damage, like say, an Ember or a Saryn. Legit all those threads begging for a rework are going on about how his cold damage is weak now and how he should just kill everything with it. People simply have forgotten that the entire point of Cold is to CC enemies with some of the strongest slow the game can offer, unfortunately there is less and less room to respect a slow and methodical approach to dealing damage, yet they're most likely the same ones that once complained about AoE meta being overwhelming and single target weaponry being unusable.

People need to realize that Frost needs to NOT become this one frame that outclasses every other one in terms of defense, because otherwise why would you play any other one? We already have more than enough of bullS#&$ brainless overloaded frames that take zero skill in Revenant (for survival) and Wisp (for support). Not to mention that Frost is already the best option for what he does regardless, and if you can't properly defend an objective when playing as Frost, that's just the prime example of a skill issue.

hace 8 horas, Fred_Avant_2019 dijo:

Made him my main when he was neither popular nor strong.

He was one of the first frames that really stood out for me, so I just traded parts for him. I knew his kit was pretty bad at the time, but that didn't really stop me, considering I just had a large choice of really strong guns, both single target and AoE. Later down the line, I ended up using Umbra formas, back when avalanche required 250% strength or above to fully strip armor, and only for the duration that enemies were locked in ice. And even then, it still somehow felt fine to me. Even later, Sevagoth became a thing, and I slapped Gloom over Frost's 2, so on your average standard level steel path mission, I never came close to dying, any damage I'd taken was lowered by Adaptation, absorbed by Icy Avalanche, and at worst, regenerated through gloom, which was already at its 95% cap (because I was running 276% strength at the time).

Then Veilbreaker came and Frost just got infinitely better at armor stripping, yet pretty much no one gave a crap. All the "hype" came about when they turned Icy Avalanche and Iron Skin into Overguard mechanics, and Styanax got his Intrepid Stand mod. Suddenly the word got out and everyone got angry at Frost not gaining infinite Overguard like Styanax did. Then he got buffed again, and now Frost can brainlessly spam 4, like he was already able to several months prior but now oogabooga number went bigger despite having no real impact on gameplay where balance changes would make or break a frame.

I think the key issue people have with Frost is that his kit is really only oriented around being a complete pest to the enemies, and not so much being a source of damage, like say, an Ember or a Saryn. Legit all those threads begging for a rework are going on about how his cold damage is weak now and how he should just kill everything with it. People simply have forgotten that the entire point of Cold is to CC enemies with some of the strongest slow the game can offer, unfortunately there is less and less room to respect a slow and methodical approach to dealing damage, yet they're most likely the same ones that once complained about AoE meta being overwhelming and single target weaponry being unusable.

People need to realize that Frost needs to NOT become this one frame that outclasses every other one in terms of defense, because otherwise why would you play any other one? We already have more than enough of bullS#&$ brainless overloaded frames that take zero skill in Revenant (for survival) and Wisp (for support). Not to mention that Frost is already the best option for what he does regardless, and if you can't properly defend an objective when playing as Frost, that's just the prime example of a skill issue.

the problem I see in frost is the redundancy in her abilities, 3 of them do the same thing, freeze the enemies, her 1 and 2 do not contribute anything that the 4 can already do and better, except that her 1 breaks the snow globes.
There is also the passive that does absolutely nothing.
I like to keep the theme in the warframes I use, so I replaced his 2 with the lavos ability, which does the same thing but applies more statuses and serves as a mobility ability plus it doesn't cost energy.

Hes a one trick pony. Avalanche is an extremely great ability but that is all he has. Snowglobe barely survives base sp, his 2 has practically no use, and his 1 just removes his 3rd ability. While I have been really enjoying him recently, it doesn't change the fact the majority of his kit is not good. He isn't as bad as people say, but he is definitely not as amazing as a few here will make you believe.

3 hours ago, --Leyenda-yight6 said:

the problem I see in frost is the redundancy in her abilities, 3 of them do the same thing, freeze the enemies, her 1 and 2 do not contribute anything that the 4 can already do and better, except that her 1 breaks the snow globes.
I like to keep the theme in the warframes I use, so I replaced his 2 with the lavos ability, which does the same thing but applies more statuses and serves as a mobility ability plus it doesn't cost energy.

Completely agreed.

Il y a 10 heures, --Leyenda-yight6 a dit :

Why would you justify Vial Rush over something like, idk, bullet jumping and rolling in quick succession? Maybe I'm too used to having praedos passive + amalgam serration & barrel diffusion for extra mobility boosts...

That being said, redundancy in his abilities is nothing different from many other frames :

If you compare Frost's kit to Ember and Volt, aside from the 2 which I agree completely sucks, you see the similarities between their other abilities :

• The 1st ability is an introduction to their main goal : Minor Cold, Heat and Electric damage at a small cost but limited to a small amount of targets.
  • The 4th ability is pretty much the 1st, except stronger, in a larger radius and with added benefits : Cold damage and armor strip, heavy Heat damage and spread AoE DoT, Electric damage and complete stagger. All with augments that help their respective frames push it further, with Overguard, Energy drops and Overshields.
  • The 3rd ability is an utility skill to help the kit towards their role with a protective dome for defensive purposes, a source of armor strip and knockback for offensive purposes and a portable shield that's versatile and can increase damage and protect against it.
  • The 2nd ability, aside from Frost is a stat boost that will enhance the gameplay of the frame : damage resistance and improved abilities for Ember based on heat levels and a speed boost for Volt that grants movement speed, attack speed and reload speed shared to allies in range, making it easier to dispose of enemies and carry on with the mission.

If anything needs to be reworked on Frost, it would be the passive and the 2nd ability, because all else is clean and streamlined like the other elemental frames.

Saryn almost follows the same pattern, but her Spores are far stronger as 1st ability, and Miasma doesn't have as much as impact as Spores do, although enemies affected by it will spread the spores regardless of how they die.

Hecc, even Chroma follows a similar pattern, it's just that the Effigy is really bad of a 4th ability.

hace 4 horas, Fred_Avant_2019 dijo:

Why would you justify Vial Rush over something like, idk, bullet jumping and rolling in quick succession? Maybe I'm too used to having praedos passive + amalgam serration & barrel diffusion for extra mobility boosts...

I only use amalgam serration and since I like to keep that style of the ice king I put that ability instead in his 2.

That being said, redundancy in his abilities is nothing different from many other frames :

If you compare Frost's kit to Ember and Volt, aside from the 2 which I agree completely sucks, you see the similarities between their other abilities :

• The 1st ability is an introduction to their main goal : Minor Cold, Heat and Electric damage at a small cost but limited to a small amount of targets.
  • The 4th ability is pretty much the 1st, except stronger, in a larger radius and with added benefits : Cold damage and armor strip, heavy Heat damage and spread AoE DoT, Electric damage and complete stagger. All with augments that help their respective frames push it further, with Overguard, Energy drops and Overshields.
  • The 3rd ability is an utility skill to help the kit towards their role with a protective dome for defensive purposes, a source of armor strip and knockback for offensive purposes and a portable shield that's versatile and can increase damage and protect against it.
  • The 2nd ability, aside from Frost is a stat boost that will enhance the gameplay of the frame : damage resistance and improved abilities for Ember based on heat levels and a speed boost for Volt that grants movement speed, attack speed and reload speed shared to allies in range, making it easier to dispose of enemies and carry on with the mission.

If anything needs to be reworked on Frost, it would be the passive and the 2nd ability, because all else is clean and streamlined like the other elemental frames.

and that's why those first 3 abilities are bad, but Frost makes it even more redundant with his 2, no one uses those abilities unless you use his augment or in Frost's case to break snow globes.
The Ability Kit of these 3 Warframes has a similar structure, but each one has different problems.

il y a 2 minutes, --Leyenda-yight6 a dit :

The Ability Kit of these 3 Warframes has a similar structure, but each one has different problems.

Which would be? Ember's most glaring issue is the energy drain on overheat, but damage reduction ends up being pointless when you're forced into abusing the shieldgating mechanics against level 500+ SP enemies, and enemies under that level might as well be all fodder when two fireblasts and one inferno clears the entire room. As for Volt, I've never seen anyone mentally sane complain about him outside the fact that electric damage does peepeepoopoo against armor.

Besides, everyone goes on to say that Frost's 1 is useless. Little does anyone know, the area it leaves on the ground is one of the few things that can slow Overguarded enemies to a crawl, and that stacks up with cold procs.

Regardless, I think we should actually be thankful that those frames have so much redundancy in their kits, because then that means we can actually use the helminth system without requiring to delete a crucial part of it, suck on that, Sevagoth.

Also, looking back, this exact archetype of frame is found in next to all of the frames... it's really just that Baruuk gets an extra resource meter, Hildryn would follow almost the same pattern except Balefire is actually her ultimate and her 4 is excessively lackluster, just like it's the case for Wisp, where her motes are her strongest tools and the deadly laser sun is worthless. Other than that, only Nidus really has a very different design in terms of ability layout and what you can expect from him. Which makes sense considering the order in which you obtain those abilities as you rank up the warframes.

On 2023-08-29 at 5:14 PM, Raarsi said:

Seeing all of these Frost threads recently tells me a couple of things, with the biggest of them being that I'm not actually sure people actually know how to play Frost in this day and age.  Don't worry, I don't either, but it seems to me that the only reason why he might feel "outdated" is because different players will always have different playstyles, which might include playstyles that work for other frames, but not for Frost.

Also, it leads me to believe that these threads are possibly started by people who actually bought that overpriced Heirloom set.  No judging, y'all spend your money how you want, but that's what it seems like.

I mean his whole idea its to be this icy impregnable fortress, but it isn't, one well build gara for example makes him redundant in defense missions, the complaint comes because recent defensive frames are way better than him in what hes suppossed to do, so unless you really like his visuals and themes he have kind of no place specially for high level.

Avalanche augment kind of help with that but leave you with 1 nuke ability and no synergy with the rest of his kit.

hace 21 horas, Fred_Avant_2019 dijo:

Which would be? Ember's most glaring issue is the energy drain on overheat, but damage reduction ends up being pointless when you're forced into abusing the shieldgating mechanics against level 500+ SP enemies, and enemies under that level might as well be all fodder when two fireblasts and one inferno clears the entire room. As for Volt, I've never seen anyone mentally sane complain about him outside the fact that electric damage does peepeepoopoo against armor.

the infinite scaling of energy absorption of his 2, his 3 seems to have "gaps" because sometimes it happens that the enemy does not receive damage or armor reduction and his 1 does not contribute anything, it even ends up costing more energy than his 4.

It is normal that there are no complaints about volt, his only problems are his passive and his 1 (his electric shield became an excellent ability since it was improved in the small revision to the initial 3), there are many warframes that have a greater need for a revision.

Besides, everyone goes on to say that Frost's 1 is useless. Little does anyone know, the area it leaves on the ground is one of the few things that can slow Overguarded enemies to a crawl, and that stacks up with cold procs.

No, the area of the frozen ground does not affect the eximus, but the increase of its 2 does.

Regardless, I think we should actually be thankful that those frames have so much redundancy in their kits, because then that means we can actually use the helminth system without requiring to delete a crucial part of it, suck on that, Sevagoth.

Certainly this is an advantage when there are no skill kit synergies, but I've always thought helminth should be a Warframe customization tool rather than a bad skill patch.

On 2023-08-29 at 6:14 PM, Raarsi said:

I cant speak on everyone, but id say i have pretty good build with frost. Im able to survive with him with ease any level and i like play frost. Im a frost main and have a bias towards ice abilities in all video games hence my username.

While frost is good, he's only good for 2 abilities. While i think this is find for some players, i dont think it should really be a surprise on why people wouldnt like it. I mean if you only wanted 2 abilities to be used while playing a game, why make 3 others?

Look at Nehza

I mean DE has made other frames like Nehza who has a full kit of fun or useful abilities.

- His passive adds a nice boost to mobility (fun) and a slightly bigger boost to it likely would only result to players who love him loving him more.

- His 1st ability adds mobility AND really good cc that can cover a pretty large area as long as your moving and have 25 energy (thats pretty impactful).

- 2nd ability basically increases your damage output by quite a bit with how easily it hits multiple enemies (very useful)

- 3rd ability i shouldnt have to say why its good

- 4th ability adds some harder cc in a radius thats a bit quicker than his 1 which can be useful if enemies ignore a heat proc and you need to breathe (this ability is a little on the unnecessary side granted how easy it is to survive with him but meh, theres moments)

Meanwhile Frost

- Has a passive thats a 20% chance to freeze an enemy. Which i mean, how many times is anybody standing still enough to let any enemy that is a threat hit them? 0/10 for usefulness. Fun is subjective but on average, no one finds an ability that they barely ever gets to activate in warframe all that fun. Maybe in other games but here? 1/10  for fun. I mean try to say this out loud

"why would a player want a passive thats always useful verses one that never activates?

The logic doesnt even make sense. Games did it in the past out of laziness, and got away with it cause the game is still fun and playable. Its not because its an actual good idea. As adding a useful passive will obviously be more fun to the average player. Ask anyone

- 1st ability is bad.

The only thing people say when i discuss this ability is either 

A.) You can use it to pop Snow Globes!

I find this silly because all it says is you have a whole ability slot thats only useful for being a secondary function for an actual good ability 😂. If i was a dev, i could see my boss straight facing me trying to use that as an excuse for not putting in effort to make the ability useful on its own as well. "I hired you because i thought u were a professional designer or atleast wanted to be one. Clearly you dont..."

B.) Its good with an augment!

If an augment has to be mandatory, for the same purposes DE removed ability mods because they forced less build customization, so does the augment need to be removed and added to the frames kit. 

2nd Ability is redundant

With a good frost build (that you should know of granted what youve said so far), theres is never a need to slow enemies that are already frozen. It's kinda stupid. The damage is pitiful, ult does more.

The only thing that it has going for it is multiple cold procs which can get some slight use from crit damage buff. Thats it

So half of Frost kit is outdated and unuseful. If DE was to relasese a frame like him today in comparison to what theyve released in these past couple years id question if they were drunk or something. I have my gripes about a lot of their recent releases (except kullervo and now xaku) but none would compare if they made 3/5 abilities that useless

On 2023-08-31 at 8:33 AM, Fred_Avant_2019 said:

The 1st ability is an introduction to their main goal : Minor Cold, Heat and Electric damage at a small cost but limited to a small amount of targets

Single target* it only hits 1. If you aim it at the ground might be a 5% chance another enemy will always be close enough to get hit by it?

And you stop using trash first abilities when you get good builds and no longer struggle with level 50 enemies cause you end up having so much energy and enemies start becoming so deadly that these abilities become a complete waste of development time. Kullervo's first ability is a more modern example of DE's mindset that i dont think any player is currently hating on. Its effective, not too op, and stays useful no matter what level of content youre in or how good your build is. Just cause it exist on a good warframe doesnt mean the ability is good, nor does it mean it should exist. If its bad and no one really likes it, throw it out. I think DE's more modern thought process is a bit more what id expect from professional game developers.

Its a thing of the past, if warframe split itself into 1 game where the whole kit is useful, and another were half the kit is barely doing anything. Like is it really hard to figure out which would do better and why its doing better??? 

Frost is in the best place he's been in years but he still needs a new passive a better 1 and a new 2. Better bubble scaling would help too. Or just make him favor armor instead of shield for his bubble.

After the Icy Avalanche change though he has been given a huge buff.

Frost went from rough with him only being able to spam abilities with Arcane Energize.

Then the overguard change happened and he was completely unable to armor strip eximus.

Once they fixed that they made his armor strip permanent.

Then they add Archon shards and Archon Flow which helped his energy economy.(+energy from orbs and + energy max)

Now they made Cold increase CD and buffed his Icy Avalanche.

On 2023-08-29 at 7:19 PM, Stormandreas said:

Tbh, Frost is incredibly outdated now. He's still my most used frame despite having barely used him for years. I spent 6ish years maining Frost, but now he's massively overshadowed by so many other frames.

His snow globe collapses in steel path easily. His Freeze has 1 use only, popping Snow Globe. Ice wave... man that ability makes me sad... and Avalanche, the only viable ability on Frost in SP, does nothing to Overguard.

Frosts 2 best things are just Avalanche and Biting Frost, his augment that really should be his passive. This leads to Frost doing nothing incredibly well. Want overguard? Use Styanax. Want a defence frame? Use Limbo. Want a CC frame? Use Limbo, Vauban, Volt, Zephyr, Nova, Khora.
Now you could say it's worth taking Frost for all of those, but... he does none of them well enough to replace any of those frames listed.

Styanax does good damage ontop of not being gimped by enemy overguard.
Limbo is only broken by Nullifiers, surprise surprise, so is Frost, except Limbo provides 100% perfect protection against anything ranged (other than Eximus, neither does Frost). Ontop of this he can stop literally all non overguarded melee enemies from reaching a defence objective. Frost can't.
All the other CC Frames listed have stronger, more damaging, and more "hard" or supportive CC abilities that provide more value, at less risk, with easy support.

Frost just really needs an update man... bring my cold boy back

bad take. Frost's 4 still affects overguard enemies by giving them 4 cold procs, outside of Vaubaun's grouping he has the best CC out of any frame you listed, and Limbo sucks ass because he gets deleted by Eximus.

Frost is now one of the best frames in the game since with 2 augments you can give team-wide overguard and deal +200% CC/CD to all the enemies you freeze, while permafreezing and 100% armor stripping all enemies in a ~40m radius of him, just by spamming 4. Add Breach Surge in and it's completely foolproof and does massive damage. You're just playing him wrong.

Frost has only 2 real big problems:

1. Base energy pool of 100 is a joke. can be worked around but for a caster frame wtf

2. His first 3 abilities all suck ass. 1 is only useful for removing slow globes, 2 is only slightly useful when augmented to slow overguard enemies, and snow globes block ally shots along with just being redundant and useless if you're already spamming Breach Surge + Avalanche.

Augmented Avalanche is such a cracked ability now that it makes up for all this stuff, thankfully, so he doesn't need much help. 

hace 3 horas, Malurth dijo:

bad take. Frost's 4 still affects overguard enemies by giving them 4 cold procs, outside of Vaubaun's grouping he has the best CC out of any frame you listed, and Limbo sucks ass because he gets deleted by Eximus.

Frost is now one of the best frames in the game since with 2 augments you can give team-wide overguard and deal +200% CC/CD to all the enemies you freeze, while permafreezing and 100% armor stripping all enemies in a ~40m radius of him, just by spamming 4. Add Breach Surge in and it's completely foolproof and does massive damage. You're just playing him wrong.

1. Base energy pool of 100 is a joke. can be worked around but for a caster frame wtf

2. His first 3 abilities all suck ass. 1 is only useful for removing slow globes, 2 is only slightly useful when augmented to slow overguard enemies, and snow globes block ally shots along with just being redundant and useless if you're already spamming Breach Surge + Avalanche.

Augmented Avalanche is such a cracked ability now that it makes up for all this stuff, thankfully, so he doesn't need much help. 

and here we go again, the classic excuse to solve everything with augments and helminth.
You said yourself that he has 3 bad abilities, that's being outdated, a warframe should be able to use his entire kit of abilities without relying on augments and helminth; otherwise why make augments instead of adding to the ability if you're going to depend on it? Why Helminth's restriction to only replace one ability instead of being able to replace all 4?
Hydroid is also very workable with twilight on his 3 and with the augments on his 2 and 4, using balance and synth fiber, but that shows just how worthless his basic kit is.

On 2023-09-03 at 9:21 AM, Malurth said:

Best frame in the game and three bad abilities do not go together. His 4th is really, really good but that doesn't mean he's one of the best frames.

Archived