The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Idea for an Octavia Rework

Asono

I know Octavia is considered to be one of the best frames in the game right now due to her infinite scaling on her 1, boosting it's range with her 4 and going invisible with her 3. However, she has been consistently labeled as the most boring frame in the game due to how stale her playstyle is. Her gameplay loop tends to be: Go to some form of endless mission, typically survival, find a nice hole to sit in (Room at the end of a hallway or something similar) Throw 1, activate 4, and go invis and stay like that until you get bored. But, that doesn't seem to sit well with a lot of the community and why so many people just don't seem to enjoy her, plus it doesn't really fit her theme. She is the music frame, her ult scales off noise levels, so why would she be able to be a stealth frame? On top of that her whole mechanic of making her own music to go into missions with is thrown out the window since it is too annoying for teammates and even Octavia to activate any of the buffs on her 3 unless she makes a super optimized as many notes as you can have flying by song.

So the main thing I think should be changed in all honesty is simply her 3rd ability. While I'm sure other changes could be made to her 1 and 2 (I actually like the theming of her 4) her 3rd is where the real problem is.

New 3rd ability: Octavia sets 3 songs in her Mandachord and rotates between 3 different effects by changing her song affecting allies within affinity range.

1st song will give multi shot to allies, scaling off strength. 

2nd song grants shield regen to allies, low scaling off strength (The reason I am saying shields is simply because we already have Trinity, Oberon, Wisp, Garuda, Any frame running Gloom in their build and I don't want her to simply become health healer #6 and take away from the support style of the other health healers.

3rd song grants parkour and sprint speed, maybe some scaling but ultimately this one could end up being another buff to not take away from boost volt players (They matter too)

The reason I am choosing this type of change is:

1: She will be able to make the songs she wants and not be forced to used high tempo songs for the sake of ease of use.

2: She will be able to rotate her songs (And assign them to the effect) facilitating a more of a bard playstyle and being more of a dedicated support

3: Take away her invis. I know it may not be a popular opinion, but a music frame whose ult scales off noise does not make any sense being a stealth frame, especially a stealth that is honestly quite a bit better than other dedicated stealth frames in terms of duration and granting party wide stealth. (If anything that should be an Ash and Ivara thing)

Honestly I kinda agree.

Invisibility is sort of a weird choice when she has a ball that attracts 90% of aggro. (Also hides my Octavia Diva Tennogen fashion)

Instead of Shields, I'd give her an ability to generate Overguard.

One problem with her Roller is that while it can attract most of enemy aggro, that 10% left could still be a genuine threat to Octavia

I'm not saying get rid of her Energy Generation passive, but maybe as a synergy passive. Enemies who shoot/damage Octavia while she has Overguard automatically get Charmed and lose all attention on Octavia and focus on her Roller, even if its out of view or beyond the charm radius.

Even if the Overguard was as small as 100, Overguard "shieldgate" would keep Octavia in the fight so long as she is keeping herself engaged.

1 minute ago, Zahnny said:

Honestly I kinda agree.

Invisibility is sort of a weird choice when she has a ball that attracts 90% of aggro. (Also hides my Octavia Diva Tennogen fashion)

Instead of Shields, I'd give her an ability to generate Overguard.

One problem with her Roller is that while it can attract most of enemy aggro, that 10% left could still be a genuine threat to Octavia

I'm not saying get rid of her Energy Generation passive, but maybe as a synergy passive. Enemies who shoot/damage Octavia while she has Overguard automatically get Charmed and lose all attention on Octavia and focus on her Roller, even if its out of view or beyond the charm radius.

Even if the Overguard was as small as 100, Overguard "shieldgate" would keep Octavia in the fight so long as she is keeping herself engaged.

I was also thinking about Overguard as an option but couldn't think of a good way of handling it, but that sounds like a wonderful idea, not enough to over shadow the other overguard generators (Especially the new Styanax playstyle with his new augment) while still granting just enough to give minor status immunity to herself and allies. I also didn't consider the synergy with her 2, since I neglect using it since it interferes with her current playstyle so much I sometimes forget that it exists. Thank you for mentioning this.

18 minutes ago, Asono said:

I know Octavia is considered to be one of the best frames in the game right now due to her infinite scaling on her 1, boosting it's range with her 4 and going invisible with her 3. However, she has been consistently labeled as the most boring frame in the game due to how stale her playstyle is. Her gameplay loop tends to be: Go to some form of endless mission, typically survival, find a nice hole to sit in (Room at the end of a hallway or something similar) Throw 1, activate 4, and go invis and stay like that until you get bored. But, that doesn't seem to sit well with a lot of the community and why so many people just don't seem to enjoy her, plus it doesn't really fit her theme. She is the music frame, her ult scales off noise levels, so why would she be able to be a stealth frame? On top of that her whole mechanic of making her own music to go into missions with is thrown out the window since it is too annoying for teammates and even Octavia to activate any of the buffs on her 3 unless she makes a super optimized as many notes as you can have flying by song.

So the main thing I think should be changed in all honesty is simply her 3rd ability. While I'm sure other changes could be made to her 1 and 2 (I actually like the theming of her 4) her 3rd is where the real problem is.

New 3rd ability: Octavia sets 3 songs in her Mandachord and rotates between 3 different effects by changing her song affecting allies within affinity range.

1st song will give multi shot to allies, scaling off strength. 

2nd song grants shield regen to allies, low scaling off strength (The reason I am saying shields is simply because we already have Trinity, Oberon, Wisp, Garuda, Any frame running Gloom in their build and I don't want her to simply become health healer #6 and take away from the support style of the other health healers.

3rd song grants parkour and sprint speed, maybe some scaling but ultimately this one could end up being another buff to not take away from boost volt players (They matter too)

The reason I am choosing this type of change is:

1: She will be able to make the songs she wants and not be forced to used high tempo songs for the sake of ease of use.

2: She will be able to rotate her songs (And assign them to the effect) facilitating a more of a bard playstyle and being more of a dedicated support

3: Take away her invis. I know it may not be a popular opinion, but a music frame whose ult scales off noise does not make any sense being a stealth frame, especially a stealth that is honestly quite a bit better than other dedicated stealth frames in terms of duration and granting party wide stealth. (If anything that should be an Ash and Ivara thing)

I actually agree with you also. She's strong on paper but not fun to play. IDK if your suggested buffs are key (people would just be in #1 multishot all the time probably), but your general philosophy is spot on. I'd love to play her more frequently.

Yeah, she is quite boring. Even more boring than a rhino, which is shocking.

I do agree with your buffs and nerfs, seems fun, but bullets tend to hurt her even in invis due to enemy bullets are in spread and can hit her nonetheless, invis taken away can use some compensation imo.

Archived