The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon name not allowed?

Tahocess321

Question

14 answers to this question

30 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

Censoring "ass" as part of a weapon name in a game rated "Mature"/"18+" is beyond me tbh.

that rating is for the game itself, technically custom weapon names fall under player interaction which is NOT rated by ESRB
So DE can swear and drop any kind of bomb they  want within those rating limits but we as players can not.

I agree with the sentiment you're trying to convey tho it is indeed not fair and ridiculous, but it is what it is.

3 minutes ago, EDM774 said:

that rating is for the game itself, technically custom weapon names fall under player interaction which is NOT rated by ESRB
So DE can swear and drop any kind of bomb they  want within those rating limits but we as players can not.

I agree with the sentiment you're trying to convey tho it is indeed not fair and ridiculous, but it is what it is.

Yeah I understand the legal aspect of it all, I'm pretty sure there's nothing we can really complain about anyway. But that's always been laughable in my book, especially "Ass", considering it's not the worst swear word but it restricts the weapon names by an awful lot. Can't even name anything "assassin" in any game nowadays because of that maybe one person that may be triggered by a sword named "Eat My Ass"... Like c'mon.

- General chats have moderators

- Clan chat have moderators

- Difficult to be triggered by a weapon name as there's no PvP, this weapon name is basically invisible if you don't look for it

- The only place where "toxicity" may occur is squad and PM chats, where the abusers will anyway find a way to insult you if they want to. And they won't use "ass" as insult, guaranteed.

Honestly this whole censorship stuff is so outdated...

2 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

First of all its ridiculous. If the same logic was used everywhere then we couldnt even talk about titania, ash and so forth. Secondly, you can name non-modular weapons? Lastly, its very mean of the devs to force us to pickup datamass in missions if this is indeed their logic.

that's the whole point, it isn't, the esrb rating for 18+ and whatnot exempts anything DE do themselves in their namings and actions ingame, esrb doesn't rate player interraction, so anything WE as players do such as naming our guns chatting etc., that stuff has to be strictly moderated.

16 minutes ago, EDM774 said:

that's the whole point, it isn't, the esrb rating for 18+ and whatnot exempts anything DE do themselves in their namings and actions ingame, esrb doesn't rate player interraction, so anything WE as players do such as naming our guns chatting etc., that stuff has to be strictly moderated.

Strictly moderated doesnt mean preventing the names. Its well within any ridiculous rules like this to let people name their stuff whatever they want and then ban them if its offensive, which fass isnt. In most games it works the same way. Someone reports an offensive name, moderator takes action (or not). No reason to do more than this.

As established, its likely due to the word Fass. 

To also address some other ideas in this thread. Uh yeah, censorship is quite silly. That also being said... its highly unlikely that there is an individual at DE who is sitting behind a computer and thinking "I don't want to be offended by someone calling something that has a slang term for butt in it, so I am going to cancel certain names", rather its likely that DE is using some second hand parties filtering system, so they don't have to bother with that aspect of the game. That saving them time and money. Not everything has the heavy hand of an individual using their own sensibilities or preferences to determine what hundreds of thousands of people can and can't name their in game fictional weapons and cats. Forum users really need to understand that people working on a game, don't think, behave or operate on forum users logic. Its Capitalism and business they work off. Think of the most offensive language combinations usage? Okay well they don't want to deal with that, if their job is to create weapon assets and promote the game via community interaction, so work together with a company that creates and designs word filters and just let them handle that. Word filtering processes?

Well they can vary, but none are so spectacular they do what many would say are good at discretion. So a lot of relatively harmless, common or relatively inoffensive terms will probably be caught up, some possible because of their ability for offensive when combined with other words. With dedicated time, money and effort, such word filter technology could probably develop into being a lot more player "friendly" as far as being smart enough to distinguish actual "offence and harm" but... well there isn't really an incentive, so... 

Basically a lot of such processes are automated, aren't good at distinguishing context, lended, and there isn't that much incentivise for it to improve... Well usually. I don't personally know that much about DE's internal structure on specifics about their word filter systems. Some of what I am saying is assumption naturally. 

Tis a shame, Fass and Vome, is a really cool idea for a set of Warframe pistols. 

Archived