The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The forums are going in the wrong direction

German

5 hours ago, (PSN)FrDiabloFr said:

Agreed, but counter argument a lot of people are honestly lazy and I know it seems like nothing but writing a proper thought through review is effort, so the dislike button gets hit.

I understand where you're coming from with this but the dislike button only leaves unanswered questions?

Is it a dislike due to trolling? Jealousy? Truthful? Wrathful? Pitiful? Pathetic response? Supportive response, and on and on.

The pathways above could actually reduce the power of a thread because many people are not very productive with the shortcut tools they are given. Instead, I love it when we are "forced" to speak our minds on a subject, for better or for worse. Personally, I would rather hear the reason behind the dislike because there's a world a difference between "I don't like this change because it causes bad player behavior" vs "I don't like this change because I can't go to a party and afk for hours while my clone and Zenistar kills enemies and collects my stuff". 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, German said:

So why are the forums slowly beeing stripped of all forms of ratings and "quick" reactions.

Please tell me you have noticed this in more places than the Warframe forums

In general, dislike buttons and negative scores have fallen out of favor. Reddit is the last holdout, and with them freezing posts at 0 I don't know how much longer that will last either. There is an obvious corporate element to this, executives don't like their customers leaving negative reviews. But in general, the dislike button is starting to carry a stigma: it's not a tool the average joe needs, it's a weapon for attack mobs

That being said, I am curious how much the corporate element is weighing on things, if it's disproportionate. Because negative feedback is important, YouTube still has the dislike button even if it's just a "show me less like this" function for the algorithm. What form should that negative feedback be? Do we need the numbers ticking down, or should we voice our opinions in full?

• Like 2

I’ve found that there have been a few times where I lament the lack of a “Dislike” option, but after a brief consideration on just how important it felt to be able to drop a little dislike icon onto something, I decided it had about as much value as not saying anything, and if I really disliked something, I’d say something. It was kind of the same on Reddit, but I think they wanted the downvote option to be part of a self-regulating system of tracking what posts were relevant to the conversation and provided good discourse and which ones were not, so there was an extra layer of consideration required

On the other hand, I’ve often wished I had the option to drop multiple likes on a post, although I’d see posts with many likes that I don’t agree with…? Simplified reactions and what they entail are weird, not sure they’re particularly crucial or even that good for discourse, particularly if the goal is a reversion to the mean through the majority rule getting to vote on whether a concept is good or not (the norm isn’t always a good thing)

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

if you want to blame someone, blame the toxic people who misused their tools and disliked or mocked without providing anything constructive in return. that said, it's also more and more evident that nowadays, people just want to straight up ignore criticisms valid or otherwise: YouTube for example also got rid of dislikes on videos, and the problem with this environment is that, for lack of a better term, it can breed "snowflakes".

people shouldn't be toxic of course, but at the same time, people who are never exposed to constructive criticism remain under the illusion that whatever they are doing is ok and doesn't need to be changed or stopped in any way, and when someone actually confronts them about it, be it online or otherwise, they don't know how to react appropriately, and freak out and attack the other person as a result. 

I'd say the whole like/dislike approach has been wrong from the beginning. All it does is help in putting forward people's biases where they'll gravitate towards the like/dislike count depending on their opinion of the topic. It's especially bad if the system works like Reddit where posts get automatically "filtered" based on likes which just results in enforcing echo chambers. Plus not having the option to just vote on someone's opinion you need to actually respond to them which then furthers discussions and leads to actual conversations.

Also having things like post/like count displayed on everyone's posts adds to those biases. Either from people always trusting the words of those who've just been around longer or dismissing those on either side for either supposed gatekeeping or that their post counts mean they're too new.

Really the only places such systems provide value is in the realm of tech support or similar help sites. As those are places where vetting correct answers and users who do know what they're talking about actually matters.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

While entertaining it was to haha, a disliking option isn't great because people just drop the dislike/downvote without expressing on why they dislike something.

Using words is much more impactful than dropping a negative number or sticker on a post

Yes but in a forum post with a hundred comments, it's nice to know how many people actually liked or disliked the post. 

Yes typically one of the first replies is opposite the post and then gets liked by the "dislike people," but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Yes but in a forum post with a hundred comments, it's nice to know how many people actually liked or disliked the post. 

Why?

Validation from random people on the Internet? Ego stroking? 

Knowing how many people agree or disagree with ones opinion, if one based that opinion on facts and observations of reality, should have no bearing on that opinion.

So, why?

Why would you care what other people think about what you think?

Rather, Why would you care if other people agree or disagree with what you think?

Edited by Zimzala
Accuracy

It's not a forum issue. It's a society issue (as cheesy as it sounds). People can't take criticism and negativity to their ideals so they just eliminate it altogether, and it quickly expands to quite literally any opinion that's not aligned with the "correct" one. It's not that unimaginable we will eventually get a "forum" where the only thing we can do is to hit the "like" button and the text box just won't be there anymore.

Edited by Marvelous_A
  • Like 7

52 minutes ago, Marvelous_A said:

It's not a forum issue. It's a society issue (as cheesy as it sounds). People can't take criticism and negativity to their ideals so they just eliminate it altogether, and it quickly expands to quite literally any opinion that's not aligned with the "correct" one. It's not that unimaginable we will eventually get a "forum" where the only thing we can do is to hit the "like" button and the text box just won't be there anymore.

Except that people can take criticism in general. An upvote or a downvote, a dislike, a laugh emoji/reaction is not the same as criticism. Criticism is when someone actually formulates a statement for or against you that actually tells you what they disagree or agree with. The upvote or well like on this forum is borderline acceptable, since it is still too vague, especially if a post goes over more than an isolated topic/opinion.

People do love to throw around that people cant take criticism, but it is more that people wont put up with vague "reactions" that tell them nothing in the end. It is already bad enough when people go "LOL" or worse "ROFL" when told something in person IRL. Clearly no, they arent laughing out loud nor rolling on the floor about it, they just look and sound like a flaming idiot that just implemented a #*!%ing reaction or emoji into a face to face real life conversation.

edit: What is next, someone randomly pulling their #*!%ing pants down and taking a S#&$ on the floor infront of you? Maybe tossing two googley eyes on it for good messure afterwards?

Edited by SneakyErvin
  • Like 2

On 2023-10-05 at 2:05 PM, TARINunit9 said:

YouTube still has the dislike button even if it's just a "show me less like this

I think this was a brilliant idea from YouTube. A person who truly dislikes the post are now free of anything associated with it. This is a good metric because a troll definitely does not want to be rid of the post they are targeting. This, at least, narrows down the difficulty in figuring out the analytics. 

9 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Except that people can take criticism in general. An upvote or a downvote, a dislike, a laugh emoji/reaction is not the same as criticism. Criticism is when someone actually formulates a statement for or against you that actually tells you what they disagree or agree with. The upvote or well like on this forum is borderline acceptable, since it is still too vague, especially if a post goes over more than an isolated topic/opinion.

People do love to throw around that people cant take criticism, but it is more that people wont put up with vague "reactions" that tell them nothing in the end. It is already bad enough when people go "LOL" or worse "ROFL" when told something in person IRL. Clearly no, they arent laughing out loud nor rolling on the floor about it, they just look and sound like a flaming idiot that just implemented a #*!%ing reaction or emoji into a face to face real life conversation.

edit: What is next, someone randomly pulling their #*!%ing pants down and taking a S#&$ on the floor infront of you? Maybe tossing two googley eyes on it for good messure afterwards?

Yes, it would totally explain the removal of dislike buttons across many platforms. Let me hit the Like button on your reply to show approval which is the only reaction option available on this website.

Edited by Marvelous_A
  • Like 5

On 2023-10-05 at 7:54 PM, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

While entertaining it was to haha, a disliking option isn't great because people just drop the dislike/downvote without expressing on why they dislike something.

Using words is much more impactful than dropping a negative number or sticker on a post

Oh yeah , 'this sucks' written in 5 seconds is a lot more descriptive than a 'i dislike' button you can press in 1 second.

So do realise that this is a form of soft censoring. Where DE wishes to show their forums as some sort of fairytale where everyone only likes things. It's a tactic dependent on people being lazy.

If they truly wished to keep things descriptive they very easily could have kept a condition of "if you click the dislike button you need to give an explanation for it" , would have really been the best option , you would know how many disliked it and for what reason as well.

I like DE for a lot of things but they are rather poor at wanting to let players easily  express themselves. They want to keep things obscure. And I will never like that aspect.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Oh yeah , 'this sucks' written in 5 seconds is a lot more descriptive than a 'i dislike' button you can press in 1 second.

So do realise that this is a form of soft censoring. Where DE wishes to show their forums as some sort of fairytale where everyone only likes things. It's a tactic dependent on people being lazy.

If they truly wished to keep things descriptive they very easily could have kept a condition of "if you click the dislike button you need to give an explanation for it" , would have really been the best option , you would know how many disliked it and for what reason as well.

I like DE for a lot of things but they are rather poor at wanting to let players easily  express themselves. They want to keep things obscure. And I will never like that aspect.

Except responses along the lines of "this sucks" are an extreme minority if you discount trolls. Instead we get to regularly have multi page novels between a handful of users arguing back and forth when a topic gets heated enough. And pretty much every topic ends up with users arguing for and against the issue as well as seeing likes distributed to both sides of the arguments.

Now sure we can't know how much, if any, the lack of a dislike option contributed to that. But it is clear that lacking it and only having likes isn't censoring anything.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marvelous_A said:

Yes, it would totally explain the removal of dislike buttons across many platforms. Let me hit the Like button on your reply to show approval which is the only reaction option available on this website.

It does since the reaction options dont bring anything to a conversation, so are as worthless as a post saying nothing. However a post not being productive can get removed, while a reaction will just be there, since there is no way to see what it actually set out to do in regards to the discussion.

6 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

And a post like that can be reported and removed for not being constructive. And forums are practically about to have worthwhile discussions with other peers. 

That is far from true since we can express our dislike to any post as much as we want by simply tapping keyboard buttons as I do right now as I write this. If people are too lazy to express their stance through a little bit of keyboard typing I question why they are on the forums in the first place.

What would have been the point? That function is there as it is by having the possibility to type exactly what you want in regards to a post. Or is this a "oh but what about those that wanna stay anonymous!?"? Well to start with they could realize this is a community forum for a game, there is no dictator that will have you strung up for speaking out about his regime etc. So no reason to be anonymous or fear anything. Secondly if you are afraid of people knowing your opinion on a forum you must live a very fear filled life.

That is such a silly statement. "They want to keep things obscure." as if a vague dislike, like, disagree or whatever button isnt the very essence of obscure in a discussion with others? Yes it is clearly very very obscure that you have to be less obscure and actually explain your stance/opinion regarding things. /s

• Like 2

4 hours ago, trst said:

Except responses along the lines of "this sucks" are an extreme minority if you discount trolls. Instead we get to regularly have multi page novels between a handful of users arguing back and forth when a topic gets heated enough. And pretty much every topic ends up with users arguing for and against the issue as well as seeing likes distributed to both sides of the arguments.

Now sure we can't know how much, if any, the lack of a dislike option contributed to that. But it is clear that lacking it and only having likes isn't censoring anything.

Of course it is censoring. If you can vote for one opinion with a tick and have to write an essay that can be removed by an arbitrary commitee how is that in any way fair ? It is limiting your choices as well as what can be written and expressed.

If they really wanted us to be descriptive they can do so for both liking and disliking things.

19 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

And a post like that can be reported and removed for not being constructive. And forums are practically about to have worthwhile discussions with other peers. 

That is far from true since we can express our dislike to any post as much as we want by simply tapping keyboard buttons as I do right now as I write this. If people are too lazy to express their stance through a little bit of keyboard typing I question why they are on the forums in the first place.

What would have been the point? That function is there as it is by having the possibility to type exactly what you want in regards to a post. Or is this a "oh but what about those that wanna stay anonymous!?"? Well to start with they could realize this is a community forum for a game, there is no dictator that will have you strung up for speaking out about his regime etc. So no reason to be anonymous or fear anything. Secondly if you are afraid of people knowing your opinion on a forum you must live a very fear filled life.

That is such a silly statement. "They want to keep things obscure." as if a vague dislike, like, disagree or whatever button isnt the very essence of obscure in a discussion with others? Yes it is clearly very very obscure that you have to be less obscure and actually explain your stance/opinion regarding things. /s

Exactly , as I said above , arbitrary removal of any negative posts just shows how pointless it is. On the one side you want people to express and when they do you remove their post for being negative.

The point is trying to limit the choices available. Anonymity never really came up in my statements and I see no reason why you raised it.

And yes , reactions as they exist ,  does make things obscure.

Seeing one post where 10 people like and 5 people dislike is clearer than a post with 50 pages most of which is between 3 people arguing about things not even part of the original post. That is where obscurity comes in the picture. You don't even know what the hell is being talked about until you read every last word (which is rarely done as I have observed in posts I have been part of considering how longwinded some of us can get , eh ?) and then you have to disseminate it into individual parts as you can have an opinion that is inbetween a like and dislike.

So , If you really believe that the point of forums is to have worthwhile discussions then why does only a like option exist ? Why not remove that as well and let players describe why they like whatever it is they like about a post as well ?

This poorly veiled attempt of censoring is just that ,  a very poor veil.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Exactly , as I said above , arbitrary removal of any negative posts just shows how pointless it is. On the one side you want people to express and when they do you remove their post for being negative.

The point is trying to limit the choices available. Anonymity never really came up in my statements and I see no reason why you raised it.

And yes , reactions as they exist ,  does make things obscure.

Seeing one post where 10 people like and 5 people dislike is clearer than a post with 50 pages most of which is between 3 people arguing about things not even part of the original post. That is where obscurity comes in the picture. You don't even know what the hell is being talked about until you read every last word (which is rarely done as I have observed in posts I have been part of considering how longwinded some of us can get , eh ?) and then you have to disseminate it into individual parts as you can have an opinion that is inbetween a like and dislike.

So , If you really believe that the point of forums is to have worthwhile discussions then why does only a like option exist ? Why not remove that as well and let players describe why they like whatever it is they like about a post as well ?

This poorly veiled attempt of censoring is just that ,  a very poor veil.

Nope that isnt what you said. It isnt about the post being negative or not, it is about it being constructive or not. I've posted plenty of negative posts directed towards DE aswell as players throughout the years and I havent had a single constructive one removed in either case. Only when things have gone OT or started to circle with no forward momentum for the discussion have they been removed. Reactions are never constructive, so it isnt a wonder they've been removed. I dont find the like button constructive either, since it is just vague unless only a single things is covered in a post.

Because it is the only reason I could see hitting a button would stay. Limiting choices isnt bad if the choices serve no purpose, reactions do not serve any purpose in the end because they dont actually say anything concrete nor add anything to a discussion.

So removing those reactions makes it less obscure, which is what DE has done.

Is it? What exactly is it they like or dislike in the post? Say the post covers just two subjects or angles, you end up with 10 likes and 5 dislikes, but which part do the likes and dislikes react to out of the whole?

I dont know why the like exsists, to me it is as pointless as any other reaction. And I wouldnt mind the slightest if it was removed. I practically only ever hit it if someone posts something very specific that can actually be summed up with a simple like. Like say if someone makes a post "When will Plague Star return" and post something like "I'd really like to see PS return, will we see it anytime soon?".

What censoring? Did they steal your ability to type? Well nope, cos clearly you expressed your opinion right there. Did you lose the ability to quote someone and go /dislike, /disagree, /lol, /agree, /upvote or some other text based form of non-descriptive approval?

/picardfacepalm over people calling it censorship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

Nope that isnt what you said. It isnt about the post being negative or not, it is about it being constructive or not. I've posted plenty of negative posts directed towards DE aswell as players throughout the years and I havent had a single constructive one removed in either case. Only when things have gone OT or started to circle with no forward momentum for the discussion have they been removed. Reactions are never constructive, so it isnt a wonder they've been removed. I dont find the like button constructive either, since it is just vague unless only a single things is covered in a post.

Because it is the only reason I could see hitting a button would stay. Limiting choices isnt bad if the choices serve no purpose, reactions do not serve any purpose in the end because they dont actually say anything concrete nor add anything to a discussion.

So removing those reactions makes it less obscure, which is what DE has done.

Is it? What exactly is it they like or dislike in the post? Say the post covers just two subjects or angles, you end up with 10 likes and 5 dislikes, but which part do the likes and dislikes react to out of the whole?

I dont know why the like exsists, to me it is as pointless as any other reaction. And I wouldnt mind the slightest if it was removed. I practically only ever hit it if someone posts something very specific that can actually be summed up with a simple like. Like say if someone makes a post "When will Plague Star return" and post something like "I'd really like to see PS return, will we see it anytime soon?".

What censoring? Did they steal your ability to type? Well nope, cos clearly you expressed your opinion right there. Did you lose the ability to quote someone and go /dislike, /disagree, /lol, /agree, /upvote or some other text based form of non-descriptive approval?

/picardfacepalm over people calling it censorship.

You seem to be going all over the place except what i am trying to get at,

I am glad you are , at the very least, questioning the existence of only having a "like" option and wouldn't mind if that was removed as well. I would rather have at least two options of like and dislike if i have to give a very brief opinion of something said. i would actually like more , maybe a scale from 1 to 5 depending on how much i agree or disagree with it and then explain why that is the case - after all you cant just have a binary opinion , it can be much more nuanced where you like some thing and dislike certain other things.

I am again not against the concept of being descriptive or being critical, i am against the concept of ONLY having the option to be descriptive for negative opinions towards a topic while having a quick reaction ON TOP OF being descriptive if you want to show a positive opinion.

I cant believe you do not understand this , its rather rudimentary.

Also Lets get to the basics of collecting information ,

Do you understand the concept of summarizing ? getting info at a glance? distilling the opinions into basic statistics?

DE has allowed you to summarize your opinion of a post for only one option. If you want to show anything except for a like of that opinion you need to type it out. something that takes time , adds word count , moves to later pages , can be lost in translation , can be misunderstood , can be poorly explained and then has to be sorted through by players manually.

This makes that opinion obscure. If you just clicked like / dislike , its on the first post , it is seen by everyone , you have a general understanding of what those that read it feel like. It is simpler for collecting statistics and getting a general temperature of the room.

If i have to put in extra effort to do one thing while i have to put in less effort to do the other, if both the options will result in equally valid outcomes , then i am being disincetivised not to do it. I am pretty sure you have the capability to understand that. And by extension i hope you can also understand that the point of the forums is to express opinions (resulting in discussion , arguments , feedbacks etc.).

So if the forums are nudging your opinions towards one direction , please let me know what you would call it if not soft censorship.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

censoring

It's a video game forum run by a corporation that tells you it's going to curate all content, not a human right public news forum about an authoritarian regime.

I get that you don't like it when a corporation is allowed to do what they think is best on machines and electricity they own, pay for and manage, but to try and bring up the specter of censorship in this is really a silly strawman.

Even laws and regulations in countries with freedoms for speech have limits.

Just because you want to say a thing does not mean another party, especially a corporation running a game forum, has to allow you to use their platform to say it.

While you may not like this situation, trying to equate it to speech censorship, 'soft' or not, is a silly, transparent, call to emotion to inflate it.

And all this over the removal of some icon based opinions one can forum PvP with is really, really silly.

You want to fight censorship?

https://ilovelibraries.org/get-involved/fight-censorship/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zimzala said:

It's a video game forum run by a corporation that tells you it's going to curate all content, not a human right public news forum about an authoritarian regime.

I get that you don't like it when a corporation is allowed to do what they think is best on machines and electricity they own, pay for and manage, but to try and bring up the specter of censorship in this is really a silly strawman.

Even laws and regulations in countries with freedoms for speech have limits.

Just because you want to say a thing does not mean another party, especially a corporation running a game forum, has to allow you to use their platform to say it.

While you may not like this situation, trying to equate it to speech censorship, 'soft' or not, is a silly, transparent, call to emotion to inflate it.

And all this over the removal of some icon based opinions one can forum PvP with is really, really silly.

You want to fight censorship?

https://ilovelibraries.org/get-involved/fight-censorship/

You misunderstand me , though you are not wrong , but trying to reduce my comments to a single word is neither helpful nor does it make me believe you actually want to understand my point. Its more akin to missing the forest for the tress , if you wish to bite onto that word like a hound then you are free to continue chewing to your hearts content,

Censorship ,if governed correctly , helps to moderate the content to suitable audiences. Censoring mature content such that it does not reach less than mature audiences? perfectly reasonable. Censoring comments so they are not toxic ? ok if moderated , but needs to have checks and balances. Censoring the ability to have a reaction with the justification that its to incentivize discussions ? laughably dumb and doesn't even do as advertised and only skews optics.

DE has full rights to do what they wish on their own channels (within applicable rules of the land of course) , i can show my dissatisfaction of it as well - the means by which i can do so is limited though , but the means by which i can show my satisfaction (for anything , including other people dissatisfaction which is doubly dumb) is a lot more.

So i cannot dislike your comment, but i can like some other persons comment that says "I dislike your comment" , do you understand how idiotic and unecessary that is?

• Like 4

Upvotes tend to make people feel good and downvotes piss off the majority of people. While these forums definitely have players from both radical sides, I think that is much healthier then other sites/forums which are extremely biased and have a singular view. It's just harder to work ones way through here.

Edited by (PSN)Joylesstuna

48 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

You misunderstand me , though you are not wrong , but trying to reduce my comments to a single word is neither helpful nor does it make me believe you actually want to understand my point. Its more akin to missing the forest for the tress , if you wish to bite onto that word like a hound then you are free to continue chewing to your hearts content,

Censorship ,if governed correctly , helps to moderate the content to suitable audiences. Censoring mature content such that it does not reach less than mature audiences? perfectly reasonable. Censoring comments so they are not toxic ? ok if moderated , but needs to have checks and balances. Censoring the ability to have a reaction with the justification that its to incentivize discussions ? laughably dumb and doesn't even do as advertised and only skews optics.

DE has full rights to do what they wish on their own channels (within applicable rules of the land of course) , i can show my dissatisfaction of it as well - the means by which i can do so is limited though , but the means by which i can show my satisfaction (for anything , including other people dissatisfaction which is doubly dumb) is a lot more.

So i cannot dislike your comment, but i can like some other persons comment that says "I dislike your comment" , do you understand how idiotic and unecessary that is?

I reduced your prose to a single word because using that word in the context of a game company not allowing you to click a 'dislike' icon on a forum post is as silly as it is disingenuous IMO.

How is it 'necessary' for anyone to be entitled to use icon based forum PvP?

You have the power to complain, it has not been removed.

You have the power to state you do not agree with another opinion, as I am doing here and you are as well.

You apparently think that not being allowed to click on an icon for showing your displeasure with the outlook someone else posted is some kind of 'slight' that puts some 'onus' of 'work' on you to be able to complain about what someone else said.

I find that to be hilariously sad.

So, I do understand your POV I think...but I also think it's silly, entitled and to be very frank, the cry of a lazy forum PvP troll, over not being able to do drive-by downvoting to make yourself feel better.

You are literally crying because DE has basically decided if you want to be negative, you have to make an effort.

Oh, the humanity!

Edited by Zimzala
werds
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

I reduced your prose to a single word because using that word in the context of a game company not allowing you to click a 'dislike' icon on a forum post is as silly as it is disingenuous IMO.

I hope you realise how it looks when you are using a single word to react on and also arguing against the ability to use a single word to react and to be descriptive instead.

17 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

I don't recollect mentioning it being necessary , on the contrary I am saying the way it was implemented was unnecessary, we did have multiple reactions in the past which were removed rather arbitrarily with extremely weak justifications.

22 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

You have the power to state you do not agree with another opinion, as I am doing here and you are as well.

Never said I didn't. Only that it's more convoluted to put forth your disagreement than to agree or simply ignore.

24 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

You apparently think that not being allowed to click on an icon for showing your displeasure with the outlook someone else posted is some kind of 'slight' that puts some 'onus' of 'work' on you to be able to complain about what someone else said.

Yes , I do feel it as a slight , I am slighted that DE feels a reaction is so damaging that they need to remove it. I find it a slight that players in the forum are lacking the mental constitution to accept that people can dislike their posts , I find it a slight that people like you feel they need to defend an inherently lopsided and arbitrary decision which reduce choices while benefitting those that are willing to parrot what was already said. 

34 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

It is sad that we are even arguing it. 

39 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

So, I do understand your POV I think...but I also think it's silly, entitled and to be very frank, the cry of a lazy forum PvP troll, over not being able to do drive-by downvoting to make yourself feel better.

Hah , "downvotes" mean just as much as "upvotes " - which is nothing at all , that's why any limitations themselves about it are silly ,

And either of them is indeed an entitlement , so i hope you understand why I am opposed to only having one of them. 

I already said that I would actually like (haha) to have more options , maybe if you didn't focus on single words you would have seen that.

I also feel that trolls would actually want to avoid such an option , afterall they would be getting the most dislikes in my opinion.

50 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

You are literally crying because DE has basically decided if you want to be negative, you have to make an effort.

Oh, the humanity!

Not quite , you can still be negative , that's not the same as disliking or disagreeing. That's why the way it exists it's pointless.

One can be negative and others can like those posts , 

Example.

"This thing sucks" 

Can get a lot of likes , and all likes are still negative. With very little effort.

So my point is not the actual content ,but the ease by which you can agree or disagree with it.

You are free to twist that as you wish, I have been pretty clear on what I want and your poor attempts of ridicule have not really dissuaded me from it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zimzala said:

Oh, the humanity!

I read fools comments and yours, to be honest your response seems to be cusping onto being rude for very little reason fool raised their point gave a very detailed break down, you then threw in a few soft personal jabs not really necessary when the forums are to be kept civil and proper opinions and feedback given in a good manner.

Edited by (PSN)FrDiabloFr
  • Like 5

I'm not going to deny that I wasn't annoying, young and stupid back then, but the forums was every chaotic with these emojis and other features.

I remember there was this one guy who just didn't like me, he straight up commented that he's not leaving this thread and he's going to keep derailing it until it gets locked...no moderator did anything to him.

to the point where other accounts had to chime in and report this guys just so moderators can notice, it was crazy.

and Another who said my argument is invalid because he has double my reputation. it was wild, and I am still baffled by how people couldn't see how horrible it was back then, and I guess whenever I tried to react to it I was being called out (which I admit If i reacted in a more mature way i would've made some better influence)

and the moderators were not helping the thread either, your thread will get locked if someone else decided to troll it, and you had no choice, it was so unfair, so obviously it made me very intense.

so I don't know what was wrong with them back then, but I think limiting player expression helped moderators...well, moderate the forums better.

• Like 1

On 2023-10-05 at 7:06 AM, German said:

A few years ago, roughly around the Hildryn 2-week-platinum exclusivity controversity any form of "disliking" or reacting negatively to a post was permanently removed.

The only reactions you could do to a post were different kinds of positively-vibed emojis, limiting the democratic impact the players could express on a post.

However, the community quickly developed an alternative as they realized they could just use the "laughing" emoji on any post they didn't like or plainly said, found "ridiculous".

The laughing emoji essentially served as a replacement for a dislike button and was thus the dominating reaction on every controversial developer post.

This then went on for a while until one day any form of reacting to a post has been completely removed and replaced with the single ability to "like" a post in the form of a heart, heavily limiting the democratic impact players could have on a post and the only way beeing to have your own post buried in a sea of other posts.

Up until recently, every person had a community rating which was essentially just a "like count". But still, it gave credit to people who have been playing a big role in the community (e.g. people like Voltage) and put some form of weight or impact on posts.

Now this has been removed aswell.

So why are the forums slowly beeing stripped of all forms of ratings and "quick" reactions.

This, in a time where social interactions and voicing oppinions is beeing limited all over the gaming industry, is worrying.

Also while the issue where the forums log you out like every 3 days also just persists for like a year or 2 now.

It just seems like the forums are moving into a direction that is just anti-player and further limiting voicing oppinions.

Edit: And yes i know, technically you can still see someones rep when you visit their profile but its odd that they just hide it that way now.

My concern comes from the accumulation of all the changes, not necessarely from each one individually.

From my point of view, keeping it simple helps people focus on the content and quality of the post over simply reacting and moving on.   It gives weight to the original post when people provide the effort and time to post a reply, even if it's monosyllabic, negative, positive or neutral.  

• Like 2