The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Skipping content / Pay to skip.

(PSN)Evil-Kinokon

OK so pay to skip is a caused a bit of a backlash at the moment, so how about we talk about how they could do it instead of just complaining about it, the way I think I would be happy with it is:

1. If you are going to skip content, split it up, don't do one big skip, then give those who are skipping the story a 1-2 minute story board style cinematic video of what happened in that skip.

2. If a skip would result in a player missing out on a Item they would get from the skip that they need, give them the option to:  A) buy it with plat if it is something that takes time to build. B) tell them to far it. If it was something that you are just given at the end, just give it to them.

3. Don't let them skip big story events, those are what makes the game what it is.

4. Update the training and mission area it the codex, put in videos going over everything someone would need to know, and show them, showing someone something is a lot of the time better then just telling them, hell it could also be made into a competition. Add in training for Kuva Lich / Sister of Parvos, how to farm and what conditions need to be meet to spawn them, also where/how to find companions other than Sentinels.

5. Give option for anyone who has already finished said quest of quests to see new cinematic's.

6. Mastery Rank 1-15 remove the once per day try and the one level per day limit. Also put in the training area about MR and what it does and how to level it.

New player and returning players need somewhere to go to catch up, and most people would be more inclined to watch a quick video if it was in game instead of having to troll through the internet to find answers to problems they have, I my self have quit games before because it was a hassle to catch up and find information I needed.

If you want to charge for skip, I would keep it 10-20 plat per skip, it's not a crazy amount, but you should not charge if they already would have to pay for a item to skip a quest (A Necromech for example). There would still be things that would take hours to do so they Could catch up to older player (getting to steelpath), but getting to where they could play with friend would be reduced from 100+ hours to maybe a long weekend.

The last thing that may need to be addressed is Login rewards, the Prime Mods, you may want to move them to a vendor or something and replace them with a booster pack or something, hell replace them with some Warframe skins or pet skins, having mods tied to logging 100+ days now that you want a way for player to skip content I don't think you can really do it, if they were rubbish mods I would not be saying anything, but they are good mods. So replace them with cosmetics that scream I've played for years, instead of a mod that screams ha ha you have to wait have a year to finish your build.

1 hour ago, (PSN)Evil-Kinokon said:

1. If you are going to skip content, split it up, don't do one big skip, then give those who are skipping the story a 1-2 minute story board style cinematic video of what happened in that skip.

2. If a skip would result in a player missing out on a Item they would get from the skip that they need, give them the option to:  A) buy it with plat if it is something that takes time to build. B) tell them to far it. If it was something that you are just given at the end, just give it to them.

3. Don't let them skip big story events, those are what makes the game what it is.

Example: Heart of Deimos

It made moderate sense before Second Dream, it made more sense afterwards. The Lore took a while to stick properly and a second playthrough helped

Now

what i would suggest for DE is to just add a Demo to "Important" quests, Just your olden days play 30 seconds with minimal spoilers to give Players interest. a place to Pull themselves. Without a hand dragging them along

Thats the story of me wanting Nidus, And here i still am because of the Journey towards him

Here's the thing: They are approaching this from the wrong angle. What we needs skips for is the path to the story quests not the story quests themselves because the game is a masterpiece when it comes to it's story and the'd ruin it be allowing people to just skip those. What is a slog currently is getting people to New War both in starchart progress and "gear level". Those things is what this skip should be aimed at imo.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LittleLeoniePrime said:

Here's the thing: They are approaching this from the wrong angle. What we needs skips for is the path to the story quests not the story quests themselves because the game is a masterpiece when it comes to it's story and the'd ruin it be allowing people to just skip those. What is a slog currently is getting people to New War both in starchart progress and "gear level". Those things is what this skip should be aimed at imo.

YES YES YES YES I WAS ABOUT TO MAKE THIS POST! YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!

Once again the WF community identifies a problem but hype focuses around a stupid ass proposed solution. They could make a button that made it where you could skip over every quest in the game. The problem will still be there. The MR locks will be there, the excessive nodes in the star chart are still there, the foundry times are still there. Congrats you skipped over the important parts of the game that gave everything meaning and context yet you didn't address any of the actual grind in the game needs to be either rebalanced, cleaned up, streamlined, and/or just removed. But that ain't going to happen. Everyone will complain about it but then cry foul on how their "investments" need to be respected. #*!% that. This is a video game, not a 401k. If S#&$ needs to go or be changed for the long term health of the game, it needs to happen. I don't give a flying #*!% about whatever cheesy meme build you copied off of youtube that trivializes the game is ""fun"", with massive air quotes, to you (relatively speaking).

Edited by PR1D3
  • Like 1

My belief on the matter is that this is DE reassessing the value of the actual story content when compared to the value of the player accessibility that comes with being able to skip it. 

Ultimately, I think there will be players with no care or regard for the story and just want the gameplay (definitely how I felt after the garbage that was TNW).  Hopefully it will have that "pay per chapter" option that forces those players to go through a Cliff Notes version of what they're paying to skip (which they probably won't read anyway, but may as well put in for good measure).

• 3 months later...

If player need story - make it available at any time with good UX  ( not that awful quests UI ). Destiny 2 did it right, just copy and paste. No need to be original when building bicycle.

If Dev need time gates - make it a good time for player. If you can't be sure this will be a good time for everybody, provide alternatives.

So you want players to pay? Thank you, this is already better than no alternatives at all.

BUT. This game has a lot of paid stuff already. Why won't you put it as a requirement to skip?

For example: "To skip this you have to pay 10 forma, 10 eidolon lenses and 10 weapon catalisators.

All this can be bought or grinded through the game. No need to invent complicated systems. Cheap and simple feature.

Currently all your pretty good story quests feel like punishment because they are enforced on players.

On 2023-10-28 at 10:04 AM, LittleLeoniePrime said:

What exactly ARE the barriers to getting New War, other than the Necramech which I think most players agree, really needs some tweaks?

I mean, for a newbie if you're having trouble staying alive, you go get Rhino, which any newbie can solo once they learn how, even with an MK1 Braton. It might take 10+ tries before you get all 3 pieces, but it's not THAT bad.

Next up, you gain a couple levels so you can buy the Orthos blueprint and make that (because it's one of the best melee weapons around for newbies).

After that, you probably want start working on the star chart, and just progress through there while ranking up that Rhino. I don't know the path through the star chart, because I had most of it unlocked before they made an actual path, so I never really saw how that progresses, but from what I could tell, the Junctions lead you through a lot of stuff that helps you gear up and get stuff ready.

With Rhino, you should be able to survive a lot of stuff you otherwise couldn't. He is THE definitive "Newbie Frame" until you get the skills and other equipment needed.

So, after getting Rhino and Orthos, and then start working towards a primary weapon, maybe something like a Boltor to start off with, what else do you need? Railjack isn't that hard, especially if you do the matches Public if you can find somebody else also doing it, and by the time you get to that, you should have a better arsenal.