Recent Hardware Failures

Myantusk

I have been getting random CTDs while playing recently, being brought to the window about a hardware failure. My Game was running fine before now, and now my game has begun crashing anywhere between 5 minutes to an hour of uptime. I have checked for memory failure and I do not overclock, and my GPU doesn't exceed 80 degrees C. Any suggestions would be helpful

Edited by Myantusk
Also clean reinstalled my graphics drivers

Does it give you any sort of WAR # error, or does the EE log or Windows' event viewer have any sort of logging to indicate what could be causing it?

Their hardware failure page is rather generic; I've been taken to it before due to a game memory leak a long while ago too, so it might not actually be anything related to your hardware. I'd try updating drivers (namely GPU) and verifying the game install as preliminary steps, those fix most crashing issues.

16 hours ago, Naroxas44 said:

Does it give you any sort of WAR # error, or does the EE log or Windows' event viewer have any sort of logging to indicate what could be causing it?

Their hardware failure page is rather generic; I've been taken to it before due to a game memory leak a long while ago too, so it might not actually be anything related to your hardware. I'd try updating drivers (namely GPU) and verifying the game install as preliminary steps, those fix most crashing issues.

My drivers were clean reinstalled and at the current version. Doing a defense for 5 minutes resulted in the same crash. The EE Logs from the most recent crash that stood out with Warnings were as follows:

454.979 Gfx [Warning]: Present() budget overrun (2002 ms)
454.982 Gfx [Warning]: D3DAssert: Dx11GpuStats::CreateQuery(D3D11_QUERY_TIMESTAMP_DISJOINT) returned 0x887A0005 (The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.)
454.994 Gfx [Warning]: D3DAssert: Dx11GpuStats::CreateQuery(D3D11_QUERY_TIMESTAMP) returned 0x887A0005 (The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.)
454.994 Gfx [Warning]: D3DAssert: Dx11GpuStats::CreateQuery(D3D11_QUERY_TIMESTAMP_DISJOINT) returned 0x887A0005 (The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.)
454.994 Gfx [Warning]: D3DAssert: Dx11GpuStats::CreateQuery(D3D11_QUERY_TIMESTAMP) returned 0x887A0005 (The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.)
454.995 Gfx [Error]: Dx11TextureMgr::Present() failed, hr = 0x887A0005
454.995 Gfx [Error]: Present failed; device removed: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG
454.995 Error [Info]: LogBug: (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG)

Yeah, so these error messages are indicating that your GPU is in a state where it has "disconnected"; does your screen also flash black or something similar? If so, the driver may be crashing and being reset.

The game basically tries to communicate with the device via DX11's D3D API, then can't, and gets the reason the device was "disconnected", in this case due to prolonged hangs. This can be for driver reasons (GPU, chipset, etc.), BIOS settings or system configurations, or even hardware failure, so you'll have to troubleshoot it accordingly.

If you don't do any sort of OC or use XMP, I'd try a few things (in this order of complexity):

• Clear shader cache (%LocalAppData%\NVIDIA\DXCache for NVIDIA cards, %LocalAppData%\AMD\DXCache for AMD cards I believe, probably a similar path for Intel ones too if you happen to have one of those) - this may cause stutters on initial loads, but that's expected as it rebuilds the compiled shaders at runtime
  • Update chipset drivers and update BIOS if available (you should be able to get both of these from your motherboard manufacturer's support page; they generally have instructions on how to safely flash a BIOS if you've never done so, but it's relatively painless on modern hardware) - updating the BIOS like this generally also resets it to stock, but I'd also recommend this just for testing to ensure there's no setting that's causing hardware instability or issues

Lemme know if those work, and we can go from there!

1 hour ago, Naroxas44 said:

Yeah, so these error messages are indicating that your GPU is in a state where it has "disconnected"; does your screen also flash black or something similar? If so, the driver may be crashing and being reset.

The game basically tries to communicate with the device via DX11's D3D API, then can't, and gets the reason the device was "disconnected", in this case due to prolonged hangs. This can be for driver reasons (GPU, chipset, etc.), BIOS settings or system configurations, or even hardware failure, so you'll have to troubleshoot it accordingly.

If you don't do any sort of OC or use XMP, I'd try a few things (in this order of complexity):

• Clear shader cache (%LocalAppData%\NVIDIA\DXCache for NVIDIA cards, %LocalAppData%\AMD\DXCache for AMD cards I believe, probably a similar path for Intel ones too if you happen to have one of those) - this may cause stutters on initial loads, but that's expected as it rebuilds the compiled shaders at runtime
  • Update chipset drivers and update BIOS if available (you should be able to get both of these from your motherboard manufacturer's support page; they generally have instructions on how to safely flash a BIOS if you've never done so, but it's relatively painless on modern hardware) - updating the BIOS like this generally also resets it to stock, but I'd also recommend this just for testing to ensure there's no setting that's causing hardware instability or issues

Lemme know if those work, and we can go from there!

Searching my Nvidia folder, I don't have a DXCache folder to clear. I also checked the chipsets and BIOS. My BIOS was 2 updates behind and Flashed it, then ran a Relic Mission and had another crash with a Hardware Failure Popup. EE Log says much the same as before.

233.677 Gfx [Warning]: Present() budget overrun (2001 ms)
233.684 Gfx [Warning]: D3DAssert: Dx11GpuStats::CreateQuery(D3D11_QUERY_TIMESTAMP) returned 0x887A0005 (The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.)
233.684 Gfx [Warning]: D3DAssert: Dx11GpuStats::CreateQuery(D3D11_QUERY_TIMESTAMP) returned 0x887A0005 (The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.)
233.684 Gfx [Error]: Dx11TextureMgr::Present() failed, hr = 0x887A0005
233.684 Gfx [Error]: Present failed; device removed: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

233.720 Gfx [Warning]: ResetDriver called on: Dx11Driver
233.722 Gfx [Info]: Dx11 Driver Failure

Edited by Myantusk
I also don't OC or use XMP

Starting a new session to pay close attention to what happens when I hit a crash, there was a brief cut of everything like audio in a discord call at the same time as the moment my game froze, before CTD. Not sure if this means anything.

Is it possible you could do a test with something like FurMark very briefly to indicate if this is just an issue with Warframe specifically? If it's not driver or software / firmware related it's possible it could be something wrong with the hardware, though that's ideally the last thing we'd want to say it is cause that costs money while everything else is generally free and just takes time to test and configure.

If you could post your game settings too (mainly like, engine (classic vs enhanced), various GPU settings like resolution / frame rate limits / vsync, etc.) that may help, as well as any info on how the system looks when it crashes. I.e. if the GPU is at 100% utilization, if turning down some settings can at least alleviate it for the moment, or make crashes to desktop occur less frequently.

I went with your suggestion and ran FurMark for 5 minutes. No overheating, errors, stuttering. No problems found.

Im running it on:
DX11

Graphics Engine: Enhanced

GPU: High Performance

Fullscreen, 2560x1440

Refresh 143.99 Hz

Vsync Auto

High Quality Textures, Shadows, Etc

Will update on Stats on crash

Edited by Myantusk
GPU was intermittent throughout the process, GPU and CPU at high but this is normal for me, Spiking at 100% right before the crash. Managed to get a screen cap of my FPS(116), RAM(1,237MB), VRAM (1,467MB) and 8.62ms as it froze

I should mention that I have a 1080 ti that's getting pretty old. These Crashes seem to be affecting my other games that previously could run for hours with no problem. I'm wondering if maybe its just the age of my GPU and it may be time for a replacement? I'm seeing a lot of the same reports about my GPU crashing. I was already considering getting a new one, but I want to be sure that my GPU is the problem, and the evidence according to me is starting to point to yes

On 2023-11-07 at 1:19 AM, Naroxas44 said:

Is it possible you could do a test with something like FurMark very briefly to indicate if this is just an issue with Warframe specifically? If it's not driver or software / firmware related it's possible it could be something wrong with the hardware, though that's ideally the last thing we'd want to say it is cause that costs money while everything else is generally free and just takes time to test and configure.

If you could post your game settings too (mainly like, engine (classic vs enhanced), various GPU settings like resolution / frame rate limits / vsync, etc.) that may help, as well as any info on how the system looks when it crashes. I.e. if the GPU is at 100% utilization, if turning down some settings can at least alleviate it for the moment, or make crashes to desktop occur less frequently.

I decided to try capping my frame rate per a suggestion from a friend and have not gotten a CTD. He mentioned that since Baldur's Gate came out, high end games have begun to crash due to GPUs acting like a runaway diesel with frame rates, going higher and higher and overheats itself? Its a theory and could be a driver issue if thats the case. Its a fix for now

On 2023-11-06 at 6:33 AM, Myantusk said:

I have been getting random CTDs while playing recently, being brought to the window about a hardware failure. My Game was running fine before now, and now my game has begun crashing anywhere between 5 minutes to an hour of uptime. I have checked for memory failure and I do not overclock, and my GPU doesn't exceed 80 degrees C. Any suggestions would be helpful

This happened to me too, but for me it started happening when DE forced us to start using high performance energy mode on the game. Since running it in energy saving mode never caused me any issues and the only thing noticeably changed was the power setting, I knew the problem had to be on Warframes end.

I went to my MSI Afterburner settings and set the power usage from 100% to 110%. My crashes went from guaranteed once per hour to once per 2-3 months.
If you don't have a MSI card, try manually setting the power consumption mode in Warframe to power saving and see if it crashes.

Mind you, you would have to do this pretty much every time you start Warframe, because for some reason (bug?) the setting gets reset to high performance mode.

Hope this helps

1 hour ago, BlackVortex said:

Since running it in energy saving mode never caused me any issues and the only thing noticeably changed was the power setting, I knew the problem had to be on Warframes end.

Just an FYI, the only thing this setting in the launcher does is choose which GPU you utilize in a dual GPU setup; it does not use any more power by saying "high performance" if it has always chosen a dGPU, and it's not intended to be an "energy / power mode", it's strictly choosing between iGPU & dGPU in the event that Windows attempts to pick and does so incorrectly. It also won't do anything at all if you only have one GPU in your system (i.e. no iGPU). Per the patch notes: 

Added GPU preference setting to launcher to override Windows defaults and defaulted it to High Performance.

• If you were running on battery when you launched Warframe it may have selected your laptop's IGP instead of your discrete GPU but since we don't switch GPU selection while running, reconnecting your laptop's power wouldn't actually switch to your discrete GPU so you'd suffer terrible performance until you restarted.
  • If you run into problems with the High Performance default you can get the old behaviour by changing GPU Preference to "Let Windows Decide".

8 minutes ago, Naroxas44 said:

Just an FYI, the only thing this setting in the launcher does is choose which GPU you utilize in a dual GPU setup; it does not use any more power by saying "high performance" if it has always chosen a dGPU, and it's not intended to be an "energy / power mode", it's strictly choosing between iGPU & dGPU in the event that Windows attempts to pick and does so incorrectly. It also won't do anything at all if you only have one GPU in your system (i.e. no iGPU). Per the patch notes: 

That's odd, first time I've seen this explanation.
Perhaps you can explain this:

On my system I only have one GPU.

When set to High Performance in Warframe, my pc crashes. (BSOD)
When set to Energy Saving in Warframe, it doesn't crash.
This is reproducible.

Situation before Warframe added the option:

When set to High Performance in NVidia, my pc crashes. (BSOD)
When set to Energy Saving in NVidia, it doesn't crash.
This was also reproducible.

I am inclined to believe this also changes the energy setting for the GPU as well and iirc it actually stated that somewhere when this was introduced (I remember to have read this back then).

Edited by BlackVortex

7 minutes ago, BlackVortex said:

When set to High Performance in Warframe, my pc crashes. (BSOD)
When set to Energy Saving in Warframe, it doesn't crash.
This is reproducible.

I'd need more info about the crash stop code & some stuff, but I've never seen where it stated it changed any GPU energy / power configuration. The patch notes I linked are the first release of it too: 

On 2023-11-14 at 3:14 PM, Naroxas44 said:

I'd need more info about the crash stop code & some stuff, but I've never seen where it stated it changed any GPU energy / power configuration. The patch notes I linked are the first release of it too: 

I'm not sure if using High Performance in Windows (which the setting of Warframe overrides) strictly enforces the use of a secondary GPU and not touch any of the GPU power settings.

The only thing I know is that since that patch happened, my videocard started crashing my pc consistently. Errors or stop codes are not reported as the system shut down unexpectedly.
Since then I could do two things which solved the issue: each time set Warframe to Power Saving mode and later I found that setting the power consumption of my video card in MSI Afterburner to 110% would let me play with the Warframe setting on High Performance without crashing.

Logically it all pointed to the then newly introduced setting in Warframe.

7 minutes ago, BlackVortex said:

I'm not sure if using High Performance in Windows (which the setting of Warframe overrides) strictly enforces the use of a secondary GPU and not touch any of the GPU power settings.

Warframe doesn't override any power settings - the "high performance" mode in the launcher is solely GPU selection. This can be seen in the launcher's own log, as it's called "LauncherGPU" as the setting and you can tell which GPU it picks in the logs. Windows will still manage and handle all power distribution and Warframe will just request to the OS to perform tasks, like any other application would. Apps running in user mode just request the system perform an amount of work, and the OS handles everything else (scheduling resources from CPU, GPU, etc. to process those tasks). It does not have sufficient permissions to change GPU power settings whatsoever, and would not do so since you could be running the game with any GPU or OS (Win 7 to 11, any version of Linux distro via Proton / Wine translation layer, etc.). It can only request the GPU itself from device ID in this case, detecting all available GPUs and picking the "most performant one" manually if Windows is not doing so correctly.

13 minutes ago, BlackVortex said:

The only thing I know is that since that patch happened, my videocard started crashing my pc consistently. Errors or stop codes are not reported as the system shut down unexpectedly.
Since then I could do two things which solved the issue: each time set Warframe to Power Saving mode and later I found that setting the power consumption of my video card in MSI Afterburner to 110% would let me play with the Warframe setting on High Performance without crashing.

I'd need more info like I said, even if it doesn't have stop codes there must be some cause for it but I don't think it's related to a game / app at all. It's likely something at the kernel or hardware level, as those are generally responsible for system crashes or straight up powering off if they have issues. From what yours sounds like, it could be thermals or wattage related if it's just powering off completely. The other user in this thread only solved their issue by replacing a GPU, which ideally we'd want to avoid since that can be expensive (or practically impossible, in the case of laptops / smaller form factor systems), so any additional info on it would help a lot.

25 minutes ago, Naroxas44 said:

Warframe doesn't override any power settings - the "high performance" mode in the launcher is solely GPU selection. This can be seen in the launcher's own log, as it's called "LauncherGPU" as the setting and you can tell which GPU it picks in the logs. Windows will still manage and handle all power distribution and Warframe will just request to the OS to perform tasks, like any other application would. Apps running in user mode just request the system perform an amount of work, and the OS handles everything else (scheduling resources from CPU, GPU, etc. to process those tasks). It does not have sufficient permissions to change GPU power settings whatsoever, and would not do so since you could be running the game with any GPU or OS (Win 7 to 11, any version of Linux distro via Proton / Wine translation layer, etc.). It can only request the GPU itself from device ID in this case, detecting all available GPUs and picking the "most performant one" manually if Windows is not doing so correctly.

I'd need more info like I said, even if it doesn't have stop codes there must be some cause for it but I don't think it's related to a game / app at all. It's likely something at the kernel or hardware level, as those are generally responsible for system crashes or straight up powering off if they have issues. From what yours sounds like, it could be thermals or wattage related if it's just powering off completely. The other user in this thread only solved their issue by replacing a GPU, which ideally we'd want to avoid since that can be expensive (or practically impossible, in the case of laptops / smaller form factor systems), so any additional info on it would help a lot.

well this started happening at the time of that patch, but I resolved the issue by boosting the power setting as I mentioned. To me it is very likely that it was caused by that patch, if not by that setting then perhaps some modification of hardware usage on a Direct3D library level. The only thing I remember is that prior to the system abruptly restarting there was no indication in the event logs of hardware malfunctioning. As I stated before, I played warframe without any issues with the same hardware for about 3 years up to that point. GPU motherboard and CPU temperatures were all on an acceptable level as well.

I currently have no intention of diving back into the problems to investigate, as I have already resolved the issue as mentioned before.

Thank you for your effort though