The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Don't use things that can't be reliably triggered for missions

Void2258

Basically as the title says. For rivens, incarnons, etc. there are missions that simply are not reliably doable.

For example "ground finishers" are not something you can reliably do, or in fact something most players even know exists in the game. I have worked with people who have been unable to do a single ground finisher intentionally in hours of trying. The ground finisher mechanics appear to be leftover from several melee revisions ago and barely function anymore, so it should not be something people should need to do. This is not the only case of this kind of mission, it's just the one I have run into repeatedly in the last week (people getting Magistar incarnons and asking for help). it's one thing to ask for something difficult (multiple headshots without detection or from extreme range in a row), it's another to ask for something that you can't do even when trying and getting help because the way to activate the condition is borderline broken.

Edited by Void2258

37 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Ground finishers aren't difficult though? There's tons of ways to knock enemies to the ground. If you combine that with one of the tons of ways to slow enemy action speeds, it's even easier (because it thus takes them longer to get back up).

Yeah except it does not actually do it 99% of the time when they are knocked down. It almost always just hits them normally and does not count as a finisher. I am supposed to be showing people how to do it and I can only even get it to happen myself maybe 1/20 tries at best (not sure I am actually doing it so much as lucking into it). And among my clan members I am the one MOST ABLE to do it at all.

Edited by Void2258
  • Like 2

So is it that the ground finisher is do-able, but it’s just not registering as such…? I haven’t had problems doing what clearly looks like a ground finisher, but I haven’t checked if the game actually counts it for the sake of a challenge or something

edit: Also, not sure where I learned it from, but combining air kicks with ground finishers was like, the way I handled tough enemies when I first started (though the combo still finds its way into my fights to this day); I wonder why more players aren’t aware of it as an option and it makes me wonder where I learned about it

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

if Players don't know they can do Ground Finishers, congratulations, now they're going to learn that.
and performing Ground Finishers works fine for me. it helps if you're looking down at the Enemy, and are close enough to actually perform one.

https://streamable.com/ytc0qf

it can sometimes be a little finicky thesedays on that our Stats are so high you may need to try to slam near the Enemy rather than right on them so that you don't just oneshot the Enemy(especially since you're doing a strike that's very good for Headshots).
and if you try to perform the Finisher before they actually finish falling down, or after they get back up, well. you'll just learn to not be too early or too late.

13 hours ago, Void2258 said:

I am supposed to be showing people how to do it and I can only even get it to happen myself maybe 1/20 tries at best (not sure I am actually doing it so much as lucking into it). And among my clan members I am the one MOST ABLE to do it at all.

Ground finishers are easy mechanically.  Knock a target down, put your reticle on the prone body, and hit melee attack while in melee range.  There can be some issues with it, I think the most common ones being the target dying or other CC taking effect before the finisher is registered.   These are under our control if we play solo.  Every once in a while I'll run into a problem where I can't activate it, I -think- maybe because of the body being too near some geometry for the animation to play.  It's not totally rare, but I can go whole mission using lots of ground finishers (Primed Paralysis builds) without it happening either.  You experiencing only a 5% success rate  tells me something else is going very wrong for you.

I don't have the Incarnon Magistar--it's completely plausible there is something wrong with that evo properly registering ground finishers.  I also wouldn't automatically trust DE to have successfully converted all finisher conditions to include ground finishers.

• Like 1

Eh, I may need more context for this. 

For context, the other day I was working on an Atlas punch build, with everything being themed around punching. Not just his abilities though, melee as well. So I ran with Furax Wraith Incarnon. Specifically because I really like its ground finisher, which I get to activate 90% of the time whenever I down an enemy. I would say thats pretty reliable, because the other 10% would happen when enemies get knocked into weird uneven geometry areas, which is annoying, but I at least understand the parameters of whats happening. It also helps that I know the stance I was using has a combo that I know knocks down enemies. Also, I was in Steel Path, because you know, if the enemies die to the combo, then I don't get them on the ground to do the finisher. 

My main point is with practice, knowledge and the good application, well ground finishers are reliable, consistent to get. 

That being said, if this is more about say... trying to get an Incarnon challenge done fast but a weapon and the game not having easy or obvious ways to get enemies on the ground simply, in order for you to get the ground finisher, then... yeah, that I get. Not very organic or immediately intuitive. As aforementioned though, and just a tip if one so happens to be trying to unlock a challenge etc, Valkyr and their augment makes that very easy. Otherwise, learning more about stances, combos and positioning are ways to improve your success, albeit it requires your effort and not all stances, weapons are the same/equal, plus other factors like enemy durability.