The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

TennoKai power: mega shift for build compatibility

Cuboon

I'll go off with the obvious: aTenno Kai mod that allow FREE heavy attacks along with all other modifiers weapons get from abilities or 2x crit chance is just Unga Bunga powerful. we have the glaive prime, for example, that is built for heavy attacks to deal guaranteed slash procs. You can Imagine how versatile these melee weapons will get on top of rvien mods and arcanes backing them up.

DE will expand for more techniques, of course (e.g. slide attacks). So I'd like to hear about your point of view in this.

Am excited and optimistic. Am curious to see how this will work with certain weapons like Pennant. 

Also feels like one of those things I need to test and experience first hand to make up more solid thoughts, just because certain melee combos and heavy attacks are better than others and may flow better than others, and so potentially, some may synergise with this new mechanic better than others, which isn't necessarily a bad thing... just something that I personally need to feel the flow of, to decide whether I like it or not. 

It also helps we are getting some mods/Arcanes too though. 

My primary responses were a bit of disappointment there wasn't more to it mechanically, and a lot of "Sounds fun!".

It'll likely be stupid powerful on some already stupid powerful setups, but that's almost a given with every new weapon mechanic DE adds to the game.  Glaives may or not be one of those--it depends on how long the window is for activating the free heavies, if it can manipulated with exilus, if there is leeway with glaive flight time, etc.

• Like 3

Whips: heavy attack pulls all enemies on target, 1 meter for every 1x combo counter.
Heavy Blades: heavy attack triggers 360º rotating strike 2 times, hitting 2 enemies will restart the spinning strike.
Brass Knuckles: Ground strikes pull and freeze enemies within 12 meters. 1 second for every 1x combo.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

-it depends on how long the window is for activating the free heavies

I would imagine it'd be tied to your attack speed, so a slower speed means a larger window to activate it, which would be great for getting mods like Spoiled Strike onto some builds. they said it appears randomly, but if it can only appear at a set point beteen attacks, slow attacks might allow more liberal use of Tennokai.

or DE could just make it entirely it's own thign with a set window not tied to anything else at all, I'm just speculating really. I'm definitely curious how these Melee arcanes are gonna turn out..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

I would imagine it'd be tied to your attack speed, so a slower speed means a larger window to activate it, which would be great for getting mods like Spoiled Strike onto some builds. they said it appears randomly, but if it can only appear at a set point beteen attacks, slow attacks might allow more liberal use of Tennokai.

or DE could just make it entirely it's own thign with a set window not tied to anything else at all, I'm just speculating really. I'm definitely curious how these Melee arcanes are gonna turn out..

They also mentioned an exilus(?) Mod for making it predictable.  It's plausible there could be one for extending the window.

If there even is a window.  That's just what seems the most likely to me.  

edit: The overview makes it  clear the default behavior is a limited time window.

Edited by Tiltskillet

It's going to be nice on current heavy attack builds like glaives, but until we see the tennokai bonuses I remain skeptical. A lot of heavy attacks kind of do the opposite of what you want (levitating dudes away) and tbh in almost all content you want to buzzsaw your way through enemies in single swings, and anything that's tough enough to take a melee swing at full ramp is probably going to survive a heavy attack, too. 

Maybe one of the tennokai will be 'forced bleed proc on free heavy' and that'll be nuts. 

• Like 1

2 things.

I like the concept, if it works well and makes slower weapons more viable, I would love to see a new samurai frame with an exalted two handed nikana that uses Iaido/Draw Stance.

I really hope there's an option for like a small circle around the reticle popping in or something more subtle instead of the big flash for the free heavy attacks. It's a bit much.

It's an exilus mod and they're adding melee arcanes. Which does bring them to parity with Primary and Secondaries now. I'm fine with it. 

Are melee better? Sure. But are they better then Primary and Secondaries?

Remains to be seen. It does appear though that hybrid builds will be good again at least.

Edited by (XBOX)Cram Duahcim

Something about this system strikes me as off, but maybe that's because I'm not sure what to expect.

It requires a mod slot to use, so the question will be whether TennoKai mods are strong enough to earn a spot in builds.  Depending on how strong they are and how much support synergy they need from other mods, I can see them either changing the way we mod weapons entirely, being an optional side-grade, or not changing anything at all.  We'll really have to wait and see.

Looking forward to any melee changes. Melee combat is pretty dated, imo, and gets a bit wacky when you're flying past enemies during certain combos. Looks like this addition has the potential to pull some focus off combos and towards the indicator for that free heavy hit. Visuals looked nice, def a positive change from that perspective.

It might be dated but we’re still able to shred Steel Path easily with melee. I really hope we get content that would warrant upgrading the melee system but I doubt Whispers in the Wall will be it. As it stands, there’s no content in the game that actually requires you to invest too much into guns. Melee can be on par with end-game guns especially on frames like Voruna or Kullervo in terms of KPM. They are still viable on many other frames. I suspect the new melee mods releasing in the next update will include some pseudo AoE mechanics to be similar to guns and that’d be very unfortunate imo. 

To me it sounds like these'll be perfect for the ultimate "lazy" build for all content. Where you can just mod for regular attacks to cleave through most content then have this one Exilus mod for the occasional one-hit vs heavy/eximus units elsewhere.

Though as a fan of strictly heavy attack builds I hope there's a mod that triggers off those. Otherwise the gimmick will be worthless for builds that just don't use regular attacks.