The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

The Steel Path multiplies shields by 6.25 rather than the intended 2.5

VibingCat

In theory, Steel Path multiplies the final armour, health and shields of enemies by 2.5 (+150%), however that's not true for shields. I have noticed this by accident in the simulacrum, so I ran more tests on different enemies and different levels, also on an actual mission, and every test showed without doubt that shields are exactly 2.5 times larger than expected, so 2.5² times non-Steel Path shields. This means that if a level 100 Crewman has 7682 shields, in steel path he has 48016 instead of 19206.

I'm honestly surprised nobody realised this before.  Edit: someone did discover it before me but it was unmentioned on Wikipedia until I updated it yesterday. In addition, SP eximus shields are 2.5² greater than what they're supposed to be, or 2.5³ times non-steel path. Thanking TheWayOfWisdom for noticing this other unexplainable multiplier

Edited by VibingCat
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, VibingCat said:

I'm honestly surprised nobody realised this before.

Somebody has brought it up before.  Probably @(XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom or @TheKengineer, but I'm not certain.

Anyway, good catch.  It certainly shows how weak enemy shields are in general that a huge extra increase to their hp can go almost entirely unnoticed..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

Somebody has brought it up before.  Probably @(XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom or

I don't remember where I said it, but yea. I "discovered" it late June this year. Fun fact! Eximus get to triple dip for 15.625x shields in addition to their modified scaling formula.

The dipping bug has likely been a thing from the Introduction of Steel Path as far as I can tell from old footage.
This video from ~3 months after SP's launch gives figures that line up with the shield modifier double dipping.

Some context before I explain the damage numbers matching:
The shield damage number (i.e the blue number) on hit that kills a shielded enemy shows the total damage done over both health and shield (then modified by shield's damage type modifiers, but that's not relevant here). So that blue number is the total health and shield damage done.
Tesla Bank had a bug with Limbo that made it discharge instantly when an enemy entered the Rift, dealing lethal damage.

At 0:44 a level 104 Elite Crewman (you can tell the level by the 367 affinity popup after it dies) takes approximately 74k shield damage.
A level 104 Elite Crewman has ~15,338 health and ~59,202 shield with the dipping bug. 15,338 + 59,202 = ~74k

• Like 4

10 hours ago, (XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom said:

The shield damage number (i.e the blue number) on hit that kills a shielded enemy shows the total damage done over both health and shield (then modified by shield's damage type modifiers)

When a non-toxin hit damages both health and shields, a blue number and a red one are displayed. I would say that the blue number cannot be greater than the total shields value left, which seems to be the case for small and gradual damage, but I'm not sure about this because I remember myself violating this conjecture when I saw much bigger numbers, even -2147 millions to shields. I ignore how it works precisely. Maybe it happens when the hit would deal more damage than the initial shields? Anyway, however big it is, health is not damaged unless there's a non-blue damage instance. You can notice this when shooting a crewman or moa that's getting corrupted on a Void fissure.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Somebody has brought it up before.  Probably @(XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom or @TheKengineer, but I'm not certain.

Anyway, good catch.  It certainly shows how weak enemy shields are in general that a huge extra increase to their hp can go almost entirely unnoticed..

Dunno how you can't notice this, all it takes is encountering a single Treasurer to realize this is a thing that's happening.