The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sporothrix Volatile Variant?

(PSN)haphazardlynamed

Question

Little confused on the interactions for this mod

removes explosion delay, bigger radius. ok that makes sense

but what's with the Punch Thru??

doesn't punch thru Not Apply to any AoE projectiles? or is sporothrix an exception because the 'delay' makes the initial bullet Not count as an AoE projectile? even with the 0-delay?

how does that end up interacting? chance to pass through a target and not explode till it finally stops? doesn't seem like a good thing to me.....

also, is it intended that the only stat that changes as the mod is ranked up is status chance, not the radius?

11 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

Little confused on the interactions for this mod

removes explosion delay, bigger radius. ok that makes sense

but what's with the Punch Thru??

doesn't punch thru Not Apply to any AoE projectiles? or is sporothrix an exception because the 'delay' makes the initial bullet Not count as an AoE projectile? even with the 0-delay?

how does that end up interacting? chance to pass through a target and not explode till it finally stops? doesn't seem like a good thing to me.....

also, is it intended that the only stat that changes as the mod is ranked up is status chance, not the radius?

The punch through works on its barbs, don’t take it as 100% I haven’t fully tested it so from what i gathered is sporo fires barbs latch then explode, with the new mod i think it allows the barbs to pass through numerous targets ie the punch through so in effect causing more mobs to be hit by aoe, i was confused by the punch through as you said it doesn’t effect aoe projectile but i think the sporo being unique with its barbs they don’t count in that way if that makes sense.

Edited by (PSN)FrDiabloFr

5 hours ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

doesn't punch thru Not Apply to any AoE projectiles?

Punch Through does work on a  few projectiles with AoE components.

5 hours ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

how does that end up interacting? chance to pass through a target and not explode till it finally stops?

I don't have the augment yet, but it most likely explodes on first contact, while the projectile keeps going.  This was the common behavior before DE shadow-changed PT.  Sporo's direct damage is really high, so this would be a substantial buff.

It might explode on every contact, but that is extremely rare.  (And obviously much more powerful.)

I don't own Sporothrix, I discarded it immediately after reaching rank 30, but from what I saw on yt this makes the explosion to proc on every enemy it goes through with increased radius. This makes it comparable to Komorex mechanically with worse stats, but if you force it to crit (with something like crit cat, buffs or Avenger) it equalizes both weapons.

Or you can use it as very awkward primer.

1 hour ago, RobWasHere said:

but from what I saw on yt this makes the explosion to proc on every enemy it goes through with increased radius. This makes it comparable to Komorex mechanically

Komo in AoE mode explodes on the last target hit, not every target.

1 hour ago, RobWasHere said:

I don't own Sporothrix, I discarded it immediately after reaching rank 30, but from what I saw on yt this makes the explosion to proc on every enemy it goes through with increased radius. This makes it comparable to Komorex mechanically with worse stats, but if you force it to crit (with something like crit cat, buffs or Avenger) it equalizes both weapons.

Or you can use it as very awkward primer.

I wouldn't disregard the Sporothrix entirely. The misleading parts of the gun being "weak" to people involves: the damage component of the gun and being a "Status Sniper". 

The gun's like a sniper of the Zymos, but it doesn't rely on headshots and there are good chunks of Slash procs (both the impact and explosion). Building the gun for its AoE is the mistake; most of the damage comes from the initial projectile. Being a Sniper Rifle, it builds up more damage for its combo counter, and headshots enhances its Slash procs due to the Headshot Multiplier.

Building it for its Crit Damage is a niche, but still possible:

• Harrow's Covenant (especially Lasting Covenant if you like to be risky)
  • Adarza's Cat's Eyes
  • Arcane Avenger
  • Sevagoth's Shadow Haze
  • Puncture Procs 

The only thing I can sympathize is how the grind of the gun isn't great. 

• Like 1

On 2024-01-01 at 10:13 AM, Duality52 said:

I wouldn't disregard the Sporothrix entirely. The misleading parts of the gun being "weak" to people involves: the damage component of the gun and being a "Status Sniper". 

The gun's like a sniper of the Zymos, but it doesn't rely on headshots and there are good chunks of Slash procs (both the impact and explosion). Building the gun for its AoE is the mistake; most of the damage comes from the initial projectile. Being a Sniper Rifle, it builds up more damage for its combo counter, and headshots enhances its Slash procs due to the Headshot Multiplier.

Yeah, underrated weapon for sure.  Like Perigale, it even works ok hipfired too, which the augment should enhance.  (Although I just noticed that it's benefiting from its  scope+50% headshot damage bonus on body shots too, which it won't while hipfired.)

edit: wrong, turns out it has a min combo count of 1, so I was just seeing the 1.5x combo multiplier.

Edited by Tiltskillet

I can say that VV is currently a mixed bag. Yes, the aoe is larger IF you hit something first. Unlike the base weapon, the aug's punch through actually works, can shoot through cover or mobs alike. However, those two factors work counter productive. Unless you're aiming down on a group of mobs or they are backed against a wall, chances are good you're only going to hit 1-2 mobs before the dart flys through to hit terrain several meters away releasing its amusingly enlarged cloud far from target. It does not explode on every target hit but rather only the last hit. The aug does however seem to remove the delay outright so even a "miss" at a groups feet can get a few mobs... If they are in the 1.7m unaugmented range.

Edit: Also did some quick testing and thankfully? Firestorm only mods the original base aoe rather than the entire augmented aoe. So we dodged a bullet on a decent sniper being made a meta crowd killer.

Edit 2: In the Simulacrum, VV will explode on every hit from punch through. However, in actual mission, it is bugged and is highly inconsistent on which hit has aoe and I haven't noticed it ever triggering more than once.

Edited by DarcnyssWolfe

1 hour ago, DarcnyssWolfe said:

It does not explode on every target hit but rather like most aoe only the last hit.

I don't have the augment yet, but a couple of videos by very reliable creators say it's exploding on every contact.   (Also the standard AoE / PT behavior for that last year is exploding on first contact, not last.  Komo is the only one I know of that still does that.)

3 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

I don't have the augment yet, but a couple of videos by very reliable creators say it's exploding on every contact.   (Also the standard AoE / PT behavior for that last year is exploding on first contact, not last.  Komo is the only one I know of that still does that.)

Had to double check, but yes, in the Simulacrum, VV will explode on every hit from punch through. However, in actual mission, it becomes quite inconsistent on its behavior. It'll explode on the first, last hit or any in between. I have yet to see it trigger more than once per shot outside the Simulacrum. Outside deathblows, I cannot find any consistency with the aoe against actual in mission mobs. It's likely just another host/client bug. Thank you for pointing it out.