The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How does Pistol amp work?

Fubuki-sama42

Question

I have just spent the last 2 hours trying a bunch of different equations trying to figure out how Pistol Amp works. I almost hate to try to figure out how other mods behave

I have 2 mods on my Euphonia Prime and this is these are my results.

Base Damage = BD = 325
Hornet Strike   = DM = 2.20
Primed Heated Charge = EM = 1.50
Pistol Amp = AM = 0.27

1040=BD*(1+DM)
812.5=BD*(1+EM)
2600=(BD*(1+DM))*(1+EM)
--
Start Aura Mod calc
412.8=BD*(1+AM)
1127.8=BD*(1+DM+AM)
1031.9=(BD*(1+EM))*(1+AM)

With Pistol Amp, Hornet Strike, and Primed Heated Charge = 2819.4

(BD*(1+DM+AM))+(BD*(1+EM))*(1+AM)=2159
(BD*(DM+1+AM))+((BD*(1+EM))*(1+AM))=2159

(BD*(1+DM))*(1+EM)*(1+AM)=3302

BD*((DM+1+AM)*((1+EM)*(1+AM)))=
(BD*(DM+1+AM))*((1+EM)*(1+AM))=
BD*(1+DM+AM)*(1+AM)*(1+EM)=

BD*((DM+1+AM)+(1+EM)+(1+AM))=2353

(BD*(DM+1+AM))+((BD*(DM+1+AM))*(1+EM))=3947

(BD*(1+DM+1+AM))+((BD*(1+EM))*(1+AM))+(BD*(1+AM))=2897

This equation is the closest I've gotten to 2819.4

(BD*(1+DM+1+AM))+((BD*(1+EM))*(1+AM))=2484.625
(BD*(1+DM+1+AM))+((BD*(1+EM))*(1+AM))+BD=2809.625

6 answers to this question

The way damage is calculated in Warframe is incredibly unintuitive!  Rather than bang your head against a wall trying to reverse engineer it, I'd recommend the video I'm linking at the end of this post, which in my opinion explains how all the numbers fit into Warframe's magical equations quite well.

That said, I can explain what you're seeing in this instance.  In your test, you're using 3 total mods that get sorted into 2 different categories

• Base Damage mods
  • Elemental damage mods

In terms of calculating total damage, all mods of a specific type get added up.  So we get the following:

• BaseDamageModMultiplier = 1 + Hornet Strike + Pistol Amp = 1 + 2.20 + 0.27 = 3.47
  • ElementalDamageModMultiplier = 1 + Primed Heated Charge = 1 + 1.5 = 2.5   (assuming the mod isn't maxed)

Now we calculate the total damage by multiplying these values against your weapon's base damage:

• WeaponBaseDamage * BaseDamageModMultiplier * ElementalDamageModMultiplier = TotalDamage
  • So... 325 * 3.47 * 2.5 = TotalDamage = 2819.375

I hope this helps!

Here's the video, which explains other things I didn't cover here like how Multishot works into the equation:

Edited by (PSN)Unstar
formatting

1 hour ago, Fubuki-sama42 said:

I have just spent the last 2 hours trying a bunch of different equations trying to figure out how Pistol Amp works. I almost hate to try to figure out how other mods behave

Perhaps start with the wiki next time, it can usually answer the simple questions.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Pistol_Amp

"Pistol Amp is additive with base damage mods such as Hornet Strike.

For example, Lato with Pistol Amp and Hornet Strike will deal 30 × (1 + 27% + 220%) = 104.1 damage."

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mariberry-hearn said:

Pistol Amp is additive to base damage increases (Hornet Strike, Magnum Force, Secondary Merciless, etc).

Are you sure about that? I demonstrated that in my first round of testing

Edited by Fubuki-sama42

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

The way damage is calculated in Warframe is incredibly unintuitive!  Rather than bang your head against a wall trying to reverse engineer it, I'd recommend the video I'm linking at the end of this post, which in my opinion explains how all the numbers are incorporated quite well.

That said, here's my attempt at solving your issue with the information you've provided.

In your test, you're using 3 total mods that get sorted into 2 different categories

• Base Damage mods
  • Elemental damage mods

In terms of calculating total damage, all mods of a specific type get added up.  So we get the following:

• BaseDamageModMultiplier = 1 + Hornet Strike + Pistol Amp = 1 + 2.20 + 0.27 = 3.47
  • ElementalDamageModMultiplier = 1 + Primed Heated Charge = 2.5 (assuming the mod isn't maxed)

Now we calculate the total damage by multiplying these values against your weapon's base damage:

• WeaponBaseDamage * BaseDamageModMultiplier * ElementalDamageModMultiplier = TotalDamage
  • So... 325 * 3.47 * 2.5 = TotalDamage = 2819.375

I hope this helps!

Here's the video, which explains other things I didn't cover here like how Multishot works into the equation:

Thank you so much! I if I had only equated "(BD*(1+AM))*(1+EM)" instead of "(BD*(1+EM))*(1+AM)"   I would have gotten the correct answer! Thank you for the help!

Edited by Fubuki-sama42
  • Like 1

I am seeing some odd stuff with Pistol Amp in the Sim if you did your testing there.  Sometimes it's applying to the Arsenal stats for my Hystrix, but not to the actual damage output. 

There are other Sim bugs that can confuse things too.  (I suspect some of these happen in missions as well.)  And even apart from bugs, it's easy to go wrong if all factors aren't accounted for.