The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Molecular Prime - what does and doesn't the explosion inherit from attacks and abilities?

(PSN)Unstar

Question

I recently learned that when a Molecular Primed enemy is killed, the resulting explosion inherits some of the traits from the weapon or ability that dealt the killing blow.  For example, if you kill an primed enemy with a Bronco modded with Dizzying Rounds (shots to enemies within 8m open them to finishers), the explosion considers itself to be a shot from the Bronco, and thus every enemy hit by the explosion that's also within 8 meters will be opened to finishers.  Similarly, if you're equipped with an Argonak with Amalgam Argonak Metal Auger (dagger hits strip 6 armor) and kill a primed enemy with a dagger, the explosion will be considered a dagger and thus strip 6 armor from every enemy it hits.

This is a really cool trait, but I've been having trouble finding information on the precise details of what does and doesn't transfer to the explosion.  There's so much that could transfer over that I don't feel like I have the bandwidth to test it all myself, and since it seems that at least some people have looked into this, I'm hoping I've just been searching in the wrong places.  For the most part, I've only been able to find build videos that vaguely talk about how this inheritance works in regard to the specific build, but don't really go into depth about what the full potential of this inheritance is.  Our community is full of inquisitive people who love to tinker and run tests, so it seems like someone would have documented this in detail somewhere...right?

Some things I already know:

• Explosions can benefit from the Phenmor's +2000% perk.
  • Enemies killed by the explosion will cause post-death explosions when the original killing weapon was modded with mods like Vulcan Blitz.
  • Killing primed enemies with a melee weapon will result in the explosion building combo counter.
  • Killing primed enemies with melee or primary weapons will allow the explosion's kills to trigger Primary Dexterity or Primary Deadhead, respectively.
  • From my testing, it seems like Finishers to primed enemies don't pass on the trait of being Finishing Damage (which would bypass armor), because armored enemies take significantly less damage.
  • Explosion radius does not get modified by mods like Fulmination.
  • Bane mods do modify explosion damage.

So here are some questions:

1. Do damage mods treat the explosion's damage (base 800 Blast) as being the base weapon damage that mods from your weapon then modify?  So for example, if my weapon is modded with +100% Impact damage and +50% Heat damage, would the explosion deal 800 Blast damage and 400 Heat damage, since the base damage has no Impact damage to modify?
  2. Normally abilities can't crit, so I'm unsure whether crit chance or crit damage play any role.  Do they, and if so how do they work?  I feel like I see yellow numbers from the explosions sometimes, but I'm not sure if I'm misattributing where these are coming from.
  3. It seems like the explosion has the ability to proc status because when you use Xata's Whisper, some (but not all) of the enemies the explosion hits get Void Bubbles.  Does that mean that the base explosion has a status chance that gets modified by mods, or does the base status chance come from somewhere else?  Any idea what that base status chance is?
  4. Do ability traits get passed on if a primed enemy is killed by a damaging ability?  This one is hard to test without a hefty Helminth budget.
  5. Are there other things that can get passed on that haven't been mentioned here?  I want to know it all!

Thanks for contributing anything you know, Tenno!

1 answer to this question