The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is the purpose of each of your three arsenal weapons (excluding Primers)

Prof-Dante

I got the Acceltra Prime and currently farming for the akarius P...but I just thought, now that Akarius prime can decently crit, and is also a projectile missile launcher aoe weapon, what is the point of running both of them in the same arsenal?

In fact, what is the purpose of each weapon you have in the arsenal?

My arsenal goes like this:

• Acceltra Prime: high fire rate crit aoe weapon for crowds, with hunter munitions + viral
  • Vasto prime incarnon: (to be replaced with akarius p because I like thematic building) Radiation and cold burst weapon for high priority bosses
  • Innodem: Utility weapon for sprint speed, and if enemies are too close for Acceltra rockets, modded this time for corrosive (melee exposure) and toxin  

but It does seem like there is always an odd one out, or a "third wheel" weapon (haha).

melee weapons mostly have this problem, If you have a weapon for AOE and one for single target, and both do massive damage, what really is the reason for melee weapons? what are you supposed to do with them?

and it's different with each loadout, every arsenal playing hot potato, a weapon takes your entire focus while the rest aren't used in the mission...

I like having purpose, even when I play Gauss, who might not tick every reason to use him in the game, just challenging myself by bringing him everywhere is the "fun" factor for me in this game. but weapons are different, if you bring the wrong weapon for the wrong Job, you're basically handicapping yourself...(another reason why Duviri doesn't vibe with me too well).

Edited by Qorvex99

Primary weapon: Burston or Torid modded for Radiation damage. I use this for bosses and Murmur.

Secondary weapon: Ocucor or Tenet Cycron modded for Corrosive + Heat or Viral + Heat (depends on whether the frame has Nourish or not). I use this to kill 99% of all enemies.

Melee weapon: Usually Innodem for the passive Sprint Speed boost. Some frames have Ceramic Dagger for instakill heavy attacks (Kullervo) or Caustacyst for AoE wiping. All have Life Strike and Tennokai to be used as a backup healing method.

Bonus mentions.

Archgun: Imperator Vandal modded for Radiation. It's a backup antiboss weapon in case my primary weapon runs out of ammo.

Companion: Verglas modded for Cold with around 45% CC and Hunter Munitions. It provides Cold crown control via Shivering Contagion, buffs my primary weapon through Primary Frostbite, and provides Reinforced Bond buff (+60% Fire Rate). It also clones itself thanks to Duplex Bond, which when paired with Nourish and Contagious Bond creates four Sentinels strong enough to take on Steel Path enemies.

Primary: Cedo - Primer

Secondary: random kit gun with infinite ammo, "just in case", mostly decoration on hip. (the one I'm using has a nice AoE that hits all an Aerolyst's weak spots in a cluster.)

Melee: Main weapon of choice, polearms of any variety, mostly my good ol' Zaw, the Komodo Fang.

39 minutes ago, (PSN)Sentiel said:

Caustacyst for AoE wiping. 

Sorry , this is off topic , I am seeing and hearing a lot more chatter about caustacyst lately but not entirely sure why .Do you mind enlightening me ?

As the the topic on hand.

All my weapons tend the have the same objective. Kill enemies.

Some are more effective than others and some loadouts work better than others as well.

I do tend to ensure I have a multi target and single target between my primary and secondary. (Some weapons having dual modes are a lot more versatile).

My melee tends to be a mix of utility and damage.

I don't have favourites as such but recently I have used lavos , boar p , dual toxocyst and praedos for most of my solo netracell runs.

1 hour ago, (PSN)Sentiel said:

Primary weapon: Burston or Torid modded for Radiation damage. I use this for bosses and Murmur.

oh yeah, I've been hearing about nothing but these two, especially the Torid, have they fixed all the Burston incarnon bugs? I'm reluctant to build it, as for torid I already have the incarnon, but giving I build around specific themes, I'd only use it with a frame like Saryn or Nidus., still I'm reaaaally interested in seeing how it functions as a boss weapon.

Ocucor

is Sentient surge really as crazy as people hyping it up to be? this is yet another weapon hype I don't understand.

Usually Innodem for the passive Sprint Speed boost.

Yeah well that's my problem as well, there is no point in running a melee weapon, not that they're weak...just that if you're not specifically building towards melee. you don't really need to use them.

36 minutes ago, (PSN)AyinDygra said:

Primary: Cedo - Primer

Secondary: random kit gun with infinite ammo, "just in case", mostly decoration on hip. (the one I'm using has a nice AoE that hits all an Aerolyst's weak spots in a cluster.)

Melee: Main weapon of choice, polearms of any variety, mostly my good ol' Zaw, the Komodo Fang.

interesting combo for sure, Primer weapons really fix the issue of carrying too many weapons that you don't use problem...that's why I mentioned in the title "excluding primers".

I'm trying to discuss people's choice of their weapons without primers.

27 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Sorry , this is off topic

Yeah I don't see the appeal, I tried using it as a primer with the heavy attack strike, but was met with extreme disappointment when I realized the bile that it launches barely procs any status...

27 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

My melee tends to be a mix of utility and damage.

yeah this is something I run too, 1 weapon for aoe, the other for single target...as for melee, if I'm not running Kullervo or even Dagath sometimes, I ask myself why would I use a melee weapon.

so what's your utility weapon of choice? I currently use Innodem for the sprint speed and Gauss prime, but I want something a bit more useful.
maybe a primer? I hear there are a number of choices for primer melee weapons, one being arum spinosa.

Edited by Qorvex99

primary: whatever I feel like running, it's my backup weapon

secondary: my primary weapon ironically, because I play yareli. Atomos/Lex/Dual Toxocyst/Ocucor/Prisma Angstrum/Kompressa/Knell Prime/Lato Vandal/Kuva Nukor/Tenet Cycron. With incarnon adapters where applicable.

Melee: Furax Wraith, for bonus secondary fire rate with Amalgam Furax Body Count. With Incarnon Genesis it's also a neat backup melee, because it can hold its combo indefinitely while holstered, so I have perma uptime on blood rush/weeping wounds. 

With Dreamer's Wrath for that insane PUNCH 👊🏽 and the melee arcane that gives free Corrosive on ability cast. So modded viral + heat + corrosive from arcane + Blast from stance (seismic palm i think) is 4 elements for CO. Excellent backup.

Sometimes I just run something else when I don't need the extra fire rate, like the Xoris for those "oh S#&$" moments.

Edited by Skoomaseller

12 minutes ago, Qorvex99 said:

interesting combo for sure, Primer weapons really fix the issue of carrying too many weapons that you don't use problem...that's why I mentioned in the title "excluding primers".

I'm trying to discuss people's choice of their weapons without primers.

Basically, I don't use guns, so I only have a melee slot...

If I could have 3 melee weapons, I would.

Secondary weapon: Ocucor 

Bonus mentions.

Archgun: Imperator Vandal modded for Radiation. It's a backup antiboss weapon in case my primary weapon runs out of ammo.

Lol, this. Primary - Ocucor, secondary - Ocucor, melee - believe it or not - Ocucor. It's one of the best anti-crowd, self-priming, AoE weapons in most of the game.

On a serious note - my Snipetron V has the most investment and hits very hard, so it's my typical "oh sh..." weapon (I'm not even using typical meta damage boosts, god knows what if did).

For melee I use Prisma Ohma with BR and CO. Good stances, good damage, hits fast and hard. I main volt, and use his 3, 1, 2 combo with melee weapons.

Edited by Hayrack

Eh, it varies.

DE have, over time, made different changes to certain mods or frames or elementals types or even just damage calculations, and this has resulted in the Primary, Secondary and Melee all having completely different uses over time.

For example, DE tried to bring full-auto rapid fire weapons back into the game, and balance the power that Melee had, by introducing Nullifiers, which didn't have the 'satellite' weak point and so needed a weapon with high fire rate that didn't mind the low damage in order to bring down their shields.

So...

For me, at the moment, I tend to pick one for Sustained Damage, one for Utility and one for Burst damage, depending on my purposes. My Burst is usually something like the Stropha with a Heavy Attack build, all up-front damage to a group of enemies. My Sustain is something like the Burston Incarnon, with the rapid fire, hybrid nature, and large magazine in Incarnon mode. Then my Utility is something like the Furis Incarnon, because of the Life Steal mod you can slot on it, and the more close-range nature of its Incarnon form. Since the Furis Incarnon also has high damage, that works out great for nuking that short range when I need it to, or when my Burston needs the Incarnon Mode recharging.

But that can change. I have, for example, got the new Tennokai system working for the Nepheri, which are fun for Sustained damage and can even work with Heat Scaling thanks to their fireballs on the neutral combo. To balance this I'll use a Primer weapon like the Tenet Cycron or Kuva Nukor with Secondary Encumber to hit a group with a bunch of procs quickly. Then my Burst damage is flexible, where I can use something with a large AoE and clear a group, or I can bring a Sniper to ping heavy targets in the head to put them down quickly.

I'm pretty sure that, with the current weapons and weapon functions, we're at the most flexible we've ever been for three-weapon builds, so you can just have fun coming up with combinations.

me tying to ignore all the signs to build this weapon

the signs: 

22 minutes ago, Skoomaseller said:

Ocucor

5 minutes ago, Hayrack said:

Ocucor - Ocucor - Ocucor.

Ocucor

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Sorry , this is off topic , I am seeing and hearing a lot more chatter about caustacyst lately but not entirely sure why .Do you mind enlightening me ?

Caustacyst has innate Corrosive, it's the only melee with it afaik. This is important because if you want to use Melee Influence, you need to have Electric on your weapon, and Caustacyst is the only weapon which allows you to have Corrosive and Electric at the same time. You can further add Viral to it either through mods or through Nourish. Regardless of the way you do it, you should end up with a weapon that does Electric, Corrosive, and Viral.

Just in case, I'll explain Melee Influence. It grants a 20% chance on Melee Electricity status procs to spread elemental Melee status effects to enemies within 20m for 18s.

The next step is to use two Emerald Shards that add extra Corrosive stacks to reach full armour strip.

If you combine all of the above, you end up with a melee weapon that's constantly Armor stripping all enemies in a 20 meter radius while also giving them Viral and Electric.

It doesn't end there. It also does radial blind on every heavy attack, Tennokai included, and it also does a long range wave attack on every heavy attack that leaves behind a sludge that does Corrosive damage.

19 minutes ago, Qorvex99 said:

oh yeah, I've been hearing about nothing but these two, especially the Torid, have they fixed all the Burston incarnon bugs? I'm reluctant to build it, as for torid I already have the incarnon, but giving I build around specific themes, I'd only use it with a frame like Saryn or Nidus., still I'm reaaaally interested in seeing how it functions as a boss weapon.

is Sentient surge really as crazy as people hyping it up to be? this is yet another weapon hype I don't understand.

I don't know about any bugs with Burston but it's among top 3 Incarnon Genesis weapons, so it's definitely worth it. It's nothing special in design, just extremely rapid fire shots with small AoE.

As for Torid, it's main benefit is that it doesn't require headshots to charge, which especially with bosses are sometimes impossible.

I've used Ocucor for years. When everyone was running around with Kuva Nukor, I already fell in love with Ocucor and used it to clear everything on Steel Path except for Eximus units. Sentient Surge just made it better. My original build required passive reloading by holstering it for a few seconds so I don't lose the tendrils. It also had Vigorous Swap, so the damage was comparable with how Ocucor is today. Sentient Surge gives you 20% of your clip back from reserves upon a kill (so you can still run out of ammo). It allows me to hold the fire button for the whole mission, as long as there are enemies to kill (and there's no Wisp with Haste Mote).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Qorvex99 said:

me tying to ignore all the signs to build this weapon

the signs: 

star trek borg GIF

That said, it might need a Riven which I imagine are extremely expensive.

Ha! I bought mine for 20p when everyone thought the weapon is junk.

The reason it might need one is because Sentient Surge takes up a slot and it has very low base damage, so it needs something to address that, which ideally isn't Hornet Strike. I highly recommend rolling Punch Through as well. It makes it easier for the main beam to kill and activates tendrils faster.

• Like 1

As a Nekros Main

-Primary: Kuva Ogris, nuke everything.

-Secondary: Sporelacer kitgun, nuke 1 dude that's tanky.

-Melee: Ripka, 100% gore amalgam mod gives my ogris the ability to gib enemies, free loots.

---

Still stuck in old times I guess

Edited by CalvinaPrime

1 hour ago, Qorvex99 said:

yeah this is something I run too, 1 weapon for aoe, the other for single target...as for melee, if I'm not running Kullervo or even Dagath sometimes, I ask myself why would I use a melee weapon.

so what's your utility weapon of choice? I currently use Innodem for the sprint speed and Gauss prime, but I want something a bit more useful.
maybe a primer? I hear there are a number of choices for primer melee weapons, one being arum spinosa.

Multi target is not necessarily AoE , though it can be. I can have Assault rifles with punchthrough or some beam chaining effect and use those as multi target weapons. The Arca plasmor or equivalent plasma ball weapons too for that matter and depending on the frame I can forego it completely (kullervo and Zephyr can make any weapon multi target).

As to utility melee , i love my cyath machete zaw , with exodia brave for easy energy regen while also having an excellent multi hit forced slash proc, the innodem and praedos for its passives and , special mention of innodem - being a dagger it opens enemies to finishers - that can further add to some variety (i pair it with arcane ultimatum and 1200 Armor is pretty good for general survival).

I really hope they bring more zaw (and kitgun) parts and arcanes , I really like building my own weapons.

Niche weapons like the rakta dark dagger and sancti magistar also deserve special mention.

43 minutes ago, (PSN)Sentiel said:

Caustacyst has innate Corrosive, it's the only melee with it afaik. This is important because if you want to use Melee Influence, you need to have Electric on your weapon, and Caustacyst is the only weapon which allows you to have Corrosive and Electric at the same time. You can further add Viral to it either through mods or through Nourish. Regardless of the way you do it, you should end up with a weapon that does Electric, Corrosive, and Viral.

Just in case, I'll explain Melee Influence. It grants a 20% chance on Melee Electricity status procs to spread elemental Melee status effects to enemies within 20m for 18s.

The next step is to use two Emerald Shards that add extra Corrosive stacks to reach full armour strip.

If you combine all of the above, you end up with a melee weapon that's constantly Armor stripping all enemies in a 20 meter radius while also giving them Viral and Electric.

It doesn't end there. It also does radial blind on every heavy attack, Tennokai included, and it also does a long range wave attack on every heavy attack that leaves behind a sludge that does Corrosive damage.

I see, it's for the melee influence use case. Thanks.

I just use whatever strikes my fancy.

Radiation/Viral whenever possible since they're the most versatile elements.

But beyond that? No purpose. Maybe the Dual Ichor for melee when dealing with high level infested toxin spammers since I got life steal on that one.

Right now mine looks like.

Torid: Used for pin point accuracy needs really. Used to be my main damage dealer. Still is on some frames.

Grimoire: Used for utility. Energy reg on some, Power Strength on some (like uh Hildryn and Lavos cos no energy stat).

Rabvee Contagion Crit Zaw: Used on frames where I still use Torid as the main damage dealer, those where I dont wanna run into melee.

Dual Ichor: Main damage dealer on the frames that use it, does it all, massive AoE and single target potential. So far in use on Revenant, Kullervo, Rhino, Lavos and Saryn. Will likely expand the usage to other frames.

Ceramic Dagger: Used on Khora and Atlas as stat stick. Planning on adding it to Dagath possibly to go Dagger+Book Necrotechmancer on her with permanent 11x or 12x combo (depending which aura I pick) for the secondary arcane. I do however enjoy her already with Rabvee.

Panzer: There to provide more viral spreading and extra flat crit damage.

Kuva Grattler: Barely ever used.

6 hours ago, Qorvex99 said:

In fact, what is the purpose of each weapon you have in the arsenal?

My arsenal goes like this:

• Acceltra Prime: high fire rate crit aoe weapon for crowds, with hunter munitions + viral
  • Vasto prime incarnon: (to be replaced with akarius p because I like thematic building) Radiation and cold burst weapon for high priority bosses
  • Innodem: Utility weapon for sprint speed, and if enemies are too close for Acceltra rockets, modded this time for corrosive (melee exposure) and toxin  

I don't often do two missions in a row with the same three weapons, let alone stick with a set of three that I'd ever dream of calling my "Arsenal".   So no, I'm not going to detail the purposes of all the weapons I use regularly.

Besides, it would get awfully repetitive typing, "fun and fashion" for all the melee weapons, and "fun, fashion, , and good sound effects" for all the ranged weapons dozens of times. :P

• Like 1

Let's see:

1. Swapping builds...mods based on swapping weapons and one even gives 100 damage for swapping.

2. Breaking monotony...I personally can't use 1 weapon for 45 min. 

3. A plethora of secondary and primary mods/arcanes have been released to further enrich our builds. This is a game for explorers and people that can think beyond YouTube metas. 

They shoot/slash things and deal big enough damage to plow through at least Archon Hunt tier enemies in a reasonable timeframe.

That's all I need, the rest is brute force of will.

Edited by Aldain

1 hour ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Let's see:

1. Swapping builds...mods based on swapping weapons and one even gives 100 damage for swapping.

2. Breaking monotony...I personally can't use 1 weapon for 45 min. 

3. A plethora of secondary and primary mods/arcanes have been released to further enrich our builds. This is a game for explorers and people that can think beyond YouTube metas. 

yeah Madurai, this isn't really about meta chasing, I just want to know what people are running for inspiration you know?

• Like 1