The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bows and Shield Gate

Vaerenth

Many enemy types have shields and can often be given shields. Fighting them with automatic weapons is often not a problem once that shield is popped because often the second bullet hits after the .1 sec 95% damage reduction shields gate is down. 

Bows like the Paris are Paris prime are very negatively impacted as the time until they can shoot again is atleast .2-.3 seconds with some fire rate mods. This effectively makes them more clunky when used against shielded enemies.

Now the obvious answer is "hit weak points". Yes on crewman its a skill issue, hitting them in the head consistently is possible and a good skill check. Osprey's tiny heads on flying bodies? and drones that dont have one? Good luck. To a lesser extent MOAs also feel awkward to consistently hit as well but not nearly as bad as ospreys.

What I am advocating for is for shield gating and its damage reduction to be looked at for atleast traditional bows like the Paris and Paris prime with a base of 1 shot. I don't know how exactly they would be fixed maybe the shield gate is reduced to 50% for arrows, or the first arrow is still 95% but if you have multishot the second and subsequent arrows are reduced only to 50%, but I feel that shield gate unnecessarily hurts bows that are already a very niche weapon.

• Like 1

Toxin damage bypasses nearly all shields.  ...which a lot of people will think is all that needs to be said. :P

But where's the fun in that?  So I'll also mention that non-Incarnon Paris Prime has enough damage that with Magnetic it can brute force most shields in non-Endless in a couple of body shots.  Don't want to be tied down to Toxin or Magnetic?  Maybe one more body shot.

I won't deny that traditional bows are more disadvantaged than most weapons vs shields, between charge time, flight time, and arcing.   Slow, semi-auto, single target weapons face most of the same issues in the game in general.   AoE is where it's at, and if you don't enjoy AoE, fast automatic weapons are better than slow weapons as a rule of thumb.

But maybe it comes down to choosing the right tools for the job if you want things to be easier.   If you want to go the hard way, well, Toxin and headshots are there for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiltskillet said:

I won't deny that traditional bows are more disadvantaged than most weapons vs shields, between charge time, flight time, and arcing. 

A thorough list, though it's missing the "inability to sprint after firing" issue that the Dagath update introduced.

Is it a bug?  Is it an undisclosed nerf?  In Warframe, it's seldom clear!

Toxin damage bypasses nearly all shields.  ...which a lot of people will think is all that needs to be said. :P

Toxin damage is reduced against robotic enemies which is my primary complaint.  If you read the post you would see crewmen are not the issue.To do enough toxin to one hit a level 50 oxium osprey you would need over 29.4k purely toxin damage not counting armor. Not really possible without any endgame gear and mods and at that point and with Incarnons your damage is so bloated then this change wouldn't affect you.

So I'll also mention that non-Incarnon Paris Prime has enough damage that with Magnetic it can brute force most shields in non-Endless in a couple of body shots.

A couple of body shots is the problem. When a same MR8 weapon (Braton Prime) with simillar mods can kill faster with less effort. Bows are unwieldy when needing multiple shots at all when compared to automatic weapons in a horde shooter imo.

Slow, semi-auto, single target weapons face most of the same issues in the game in general.  

That's the point. This is a way to help make more weapons more viable and easier to use in order to encourage more variety without directly pumping the stats, just by equalizing damage across factions that is not based on resistances but a mechanic that disporationately hurts cyclical damage models vs. Continuous.

Edited by Vaerenth
Grammar

21 minutes ago, Vaerenth said:

If you read the post you would see crewmen are not the issue.To do enough toxin to one hit a level 50 oxium osprey you would need over 29.4k purely toxin damage not counting armor. Not really possible without any endgame gear and mods and at that point and with Incarnons your damage is so bloated then this change wouldn't affect you.

What build are you trying to use?  Mainly just trying to get an idea what mods you have available.   But if you're not interested in build advice in a feedback thread, I won't waste your time.

As far as feedback goes... Oxium Ospreys are really tough.  Probably the most difficult regular Corpus unit you could choose.   And have been the source of many other complaints that I can recall.  They don't just have Robotic health, they have tons of it compared to other units, besides being the rare Corpus with armor underneath their shields.  If they're presenting difficulties to players on a scale that other shielded enemies don't, it might suggest a change to Oxium Ospreys more than it does a buff to a class of weapons.