The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is there a toggle for sprinting?

Xylia

So, after doing The New War last night, and doing a bunch of missions today, my left pinky finger is starting to hurt from holding down the CTRL key for hours. I probably put like 6 hours into the game today, goes to show that when  you actually get fun and decent weapons, that one is more up for playing the game, go figure.

I leafed through options, but I don't recall seeing an option to toggle sprint instead of having to hold down the ctrl key but I might be blind.

If there isn't one, there sorely needs to be. Like, is there ever a time in a mission where you AREN'T sprinting? Maybe if you're in a Necramech was those have a stamina meter (which is kind of weird..) and for the few times you do want to walk, that's why it should be a toggle.

So if there is a toggle for sprinting, I'd very much appreciate if someone could point it out because maybe I'm blind...

It's not with the other keyboard settings.  Options // Accessibility // Hold to Sprint.  It's near the top.  Turn it off.

Unfortunately it won't keep it toggled on through various transitions, but it'll still be a huge improvement over keeping it pressed down.

Edited by Tiltskillet
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, Ace-Bounty-Hunter said:

I really wish DE would kill the function and just have sprinting as default. There is no time where I ever want to waddle around like a jacked up space penguin. Especially in high level missions where it leaves you as an easy target. 

Stealth missions are one time I can think of, and/or trying to navigate small ledges or tight passages. I find that sprinting up against a wall is probably not the best way to do it so sometimes, yes, I'll walk short distances.

But yes, 99% of the time, you're sprinting.

To be honest, I'd like to have an option that swaps Hold for Sprint with Hold for Walk.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Ace-Bounty-Hunter said:

I really wish DE would kill the function and just have sprinting as default. There is no time where I ever want to waddle around like a jacked up space penguin. Especially in high level missions where it leaves you as an easy target. 

this. we don't have stamina to conserve anymore, let us just move at full speed all the time.

14 minutes ago, Xylia said:

Stealth missions are one time I can think of, and/or trying to navigate small ledges or tight passages

hopefully the upcoming Sticky Corner fixes will address this, so you'll be able to sprint into vents etc. without getting caught on something.

6 hours ago, Xylia said:

To be honest, I'd like to have an option that swaps Hold for Sprint with Hold for Walk.

Yeah, really this would make more sense at this point. They're escaping me at the moment, but I know I've played some games that were inverted like this for times you needed a little bit more precision.

8 hours ago, Xylia said:

I'd definitely rather have this than sprinting by default.

As an aside, if you ever have trouble finding a setting in future, try the search bar in the options menu itself. It's a really handy feature that I wish more games would implement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slayer-. said:

My Ivara would disagree with sprinting all the time.

Came here to say this.

9 hours ago, Ace-Bounty-Hunter said:

Hard disagree. I prefer holding a modifier to sprint. In a game like this, precision control of your character is incredibly important.

• Like 2

If things like entering/exiting archwing, railjack and carrying the canister in that last event didn't toggle sprint off I'd be happy. 

That last event just killed my 4th controller because toggle sprint is L3 by default. That button isn't made to be used often. 

there should really just be prefer sprint/walk in options like I suggested in this thread.

I think I had an earlier version of that thread that got locked.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ace-Bounty-Hunter said:

As a fan of the original Doom games I know where you're coming from (the original 1993 game has a sprint button, but every modern source port makes sprinting default and the sprint button into a walk button). But this only happened because there was LITERALLY no map in the game where players would rather walk than sprint. In Warframe things are just a little more granular...

The thing that's probably most important to DE is stealth. Warframes generate suspicion toward unalerted enemies (and conservation targets) based on whether they're crouching/walking/sprinting. I know the forums like to pretend Survival is the only game mode that exists, but stealth is very much a recurring game mechanic

And on that subject, Ivara would hate it. Sprinting instantly deletes her Prowl, holding a walk button just to let her ability function at all sounds like a pain

Besides all that, I think the real issue is being forced to mosey in non-combat areas. Bullet jumping, melee spam, and apparently coptering is back in the game now, they're all unaffected by sprint speed. So the walk/sprint pet peeve doesn't often matter during a pitched battle, but it gets incredibly grating when I need to drag my frame around Fortuna while obeying the dumb speed limit that only applies on the ground. That's where I wish DE would put auto-sprinting in

...I might be an oddball on this topic, but I actually almost never sprint, instead using Bullet Jumps, Rolls and Slides from the basic walking speed when I need to move around,

Would I be fine with an auto-sprint option being implemented for others? Yeah, but I like having more measured control over my movement (which is why I also hate running into Wisp players because unlike Volt you can't shake off the speed buff) and prefer to let advanced movement be my real footwork.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Corvid said:

I'd definitely rather have this than sprinting by default.

As an aside, if you ever have trouble finding a setting in future, try the search bar in the options menu itself. It's a really handy feature that I wish more games would implement.

Ooof, thanks, I'd forgotten the Options search bar was a thing, even though it's staring me right in the face whenever I open that menu.

15 hours ago, Slayer-. said:

My Ivara would disagree with sprinting all the time.

I do have a good bullet jump technique with her to go fast, but at times I like to dawdle. :tongue:

I think Ivara is really the only meaningful part of the game that benefits from not sprinting, since at present her design is that sprint breaks her stealth.

Though honestly, I think they could easily tweak that design to make it not an issue.  Make Prowl force the same slow movement it does now, with no option to sprint until Prowl has been deactivated or been disrupted via bullet jump, etc.  Unless I'm forgetting something, I think that would solve the issue, allowing anyone to use a "sprint by default" option without hindering Ivara.

Edited by UnstarPrime
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Berzerkules said:

That last event just killed my 4th controller because toggle sprint is L3 by default. That button isn't made to be used often. 

Sounds like you need to stop going berzerk on your controllers... 😛

It's like the stories (or lies, whichever) swirling about people killing mice with all the clicking in Diablo 1 and 2 back in the day. Sure there are cheap peripherals and quality ones, but man, chill out or spend more money and buy a better one that's not made out of tissue paper. Buy once, cry once, don't end up spending more money on constant replacements if you can help it.

I'll still see myself out...

Edited by Hobie-wan

6 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

Sounds like you need to stop going berzerk on your controllers... 😛

It's like the stories (or lies, whichever) swirling about people killing mice with all the clicking in Diablo 1 and 2 back in the day. Sure there are cheap peripherals and quality ones, but man, chill out or spend more money and buy a better one that's not made out of tissue paper. Buy once, cry once, don't end up spending more money on constant replacements if you can help it.

I'll still see myself out...

I played D2 up until like 6-7 years ago. Was in a d2jsp clan for like 3-4 years and everyone just ran bots to farm. Then sell that loot to buy pvp gear and dual all day. I went through 3 Logitech g600 mice playing D2 in those 3-4 years. It was always the left mouse button, you spam click that thing to move around. Besides that the mouse was fine. 

If you have any good controller recommendations lmk. I've been using PS4 controllers even though I play on PC.

Granted I stopped playing D2 ages ago, I've played a fair amount of ARPGs since. I guess I'm just easy on my Logitech mice. Except for the logo on top. I somehow destroy those quickly.

1 hour ago, Berzerkules said:

If you have any good controller recommendations lmk. I've been using PS4 controllers even though I play on PC.

Unfortunately I don't. No game/tech youtubers that I watch have reviewed any that I can remember recently either.

1 minute ago, Hobie-wan said:

Granted I stopped playing D2 ages ago, I've played a fair amount of ARPGs since. I guess I'm just easy on my Logitech mice. Except for the logo on top. I somehow destroy those quickly.

Unfortunately I don't. No game/tech youtubers that I watch have reviewed any that I can remember recently either.

Favorite class in D2?

guess mine

Spoiler

U1woKLp.png

25 minutes ago, Berzerkules said:

Favorite class in D2?

guess mine

Same!  Favorite builds: various elemental martial artists.  But I never made it to 99 on anything.

I still play a bit, maybe a few days a year.   D1 as well, but that's more like every few years.

Speaking of D1...whenever I play that, it makes me appreciate things like even having a sprint button:P

Edited by Tiltskillet
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

Same!  Favorite builds: various elemental martial artists.  But I never made it to 99 on anything.

I still play a bit, maybe a few days a year.   D1 as well, but that's more like every few years.

Speaking of D1...whenever I play that, it makes me appreciate things like even having a sprint button:P

My favorite sin was a weird hybrid whirlwind trap thing I only used for dueling.

I'd use 1 chaos claw(runeword that gives +1 whirlwind a barb skill) with at least +3 lightning sentry and other useable skills and a rare claw with the fools modifier(attack rating/char lvl), +2 sin, +3lightning sentry and also max the fire blast skill. This way I looked like a regular trap sin that just did lightning damage but if they were stacking lightning absorb I could also teleport in then whirlwind while having venom active for massive poison damage and actually hit since I had attack rating. Fireblast was also there if they were stacking sorb and had max block. I could pretty much take any class unless the player was really good and also had a stacked char. 

Did I mentions I was really into elite dueling and botting for quite a few years. 

Also, that 99 was totally botted to 99 while farming then respec as pk char. The highest legit I had was a lvl 97 sorc that I played solo offline on v1.09 i think(whatever version it was it was before sorc static field was capped at 50% hp so you could static field off your screen enemies to like 5% hp then frozed orb them to death. OG OP build). I was living in a cabin in alaska with no internet access and no kids at the time so I played offline D2 alot. 

edit: I actually just found old screenshots of some of my claws.

Spoiler

YNohymm.png

K0GNQnT.png

Edited by Berzerkules
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Berzerkules said:

Also, that 99 was totally botted to 99 while farming then respec as pk char. The highest legit I had was a lvl 97 sorc that I played solo offline on v1.09 i think. I was living in a cabin in alaska with no internet access and no kids at the time so I played offline D2 alot. 

Haha, yeah, we're almost opposites.   I was in a legit clan, nearly always hc, and usually  untwinked except for stuff I muled off of old characters before they died.  I've still never traded for anything.  So never had Chaos or even the full Nat's set.

I did some LLD, but not a lot.  Those players were really, really skilled, totally apart from the gear they had, and I was way out of my depth.  More good people than $&*^heads though, and it gave me a better appreciation of PvPers than a lot of PvE gamers seem to have.

Edited by Tiltskillet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tiltskillet said:

Haha, yeah, we're almost opposites.   I was in a legit clan, nearly always hc, and usually  untwinked except for stuff I muled off of old characters before they died.  I've still never traded for anything.

I did some LLD, but not a lot.  Those players were really, really skilled, totally apart from the gear they had, and I was way out of my depth.  More good people than $&*^heads though, and it gave me a better appreciation of PvPers than a lot of PvE gamers seem to have.

lld was legit. I couldn't do it. Totally different builds and skillset than high lvl duelers. It was also incredibly hard to find the gear required to build elite lld. I tried several times because I had friends into it but just got stomped. 

I did have some mid lvl duelers I'd pub pk with. Show up to pubs with a lvl 47 or something looking like a scrub and wreck the place for hours.