Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wise Razor Stance - Feedback & Suggestions (2024 edition)

Casardis

giphy.gif

While I like the stance, there's a general agreement by many people in the community that it feels sluggish. This post will attempt to address some of those issues brought up around the community by proposing alternate combos, while reusing existing animations to achieve it. I've made a similar topic 4 years ago, but I figured it's time to revisit it.

Before proceeding, know that all terminology follows DE's dev workshop. If you don't know what a "neutral tactical combo" is, please see here. Also, I'm no game dev, but I think the following feedback's fair and in-line with the kind of QoL seen with the "best" stances. They include, but aren't limited to, Blind Justice, Tempo Royale, Rending Crane & Cyclone Kraken. They serve as my gold standard for my suggestions.

The Issues

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Forward Combo stops movement & doesn't loop

• 4th Neutral Combo's twirling attack seems more fitting as a Forward Combo attack

• Missing Neutral Tactical Combo

• No new stance since Tatsu's release :(

Suggestion 1: Forward Combo

giphy.gif

Suggestion 2: Neutral Combo

giphy.gif

Suggestion 3: Forward Tactical Combo

giphy.gif

• Removed starter slam atk (see next combo suggestion)

• Moved the twirling atk here as a starter for distance closing, allowing you to hit multiple enemies on the way, including aerial enemies, while having chances to score headshots

• Diagonal atk ender can have small slam effect that causes knockdown

• In line with DE's own design workshop regarding Forward Tactical Combo

Suggestion 4: Neutral Tactical Combo

giphy.gif

• Repurposed existing attacks into a hard-hitting, sweeping combo for range & CC

• 1st attack uses the alternate Heavy Melee attack, which are two 360 slashes

• 2nd attack uses the slam attack currently in the Forward Tactical Combo, and causes Lifting

• Wise Razor doesn't have a Neutral Tactical Combo, so adding one can make combo more varied

• In line with DE's own design workshop regarding Neutral Tactical Combo

Conclusion

I'm making this because of community feedback I read, and the fact that we haven't received a new stance for years. This is despite a mention 3 years ago in Home Devstream #6! In any case, thanks for reading to this point if you did!

Edited by Casardis
  • Like 6

Actually seems like a genuinely well-thought out fix.

The only problem is the "no new stance" point brought up. The threads supposed to address the issues with the Wise Razor stance itself, opinions on a lack of stances would sideline the discussion considering that's a different conversation about "Two-Handed Nikanas" and not "Wise Razor" specifically.

Other than that, as long as the Heavy Attack isn't touched I'm all for it.

24 minutes ago, (PSN)MYKK678 said:

The only problem is the "no new stance" point brought up. The threads supposed to address the issues with the Wise Razor stance itself, opinions on a lack of stances would sideline the discussion considering that's a different conversation about "Two-Handed Nikanas" and not "Wise Razor" specifically.

Thanks! Yeah I mentioned it only because a new stance could fix all the QoL issues it has, though the preference would be Wise Razor AND new stance to be equally good in different ways (e.g. Tempo Royale & Rending Crane). XD It's been 4 years since the last mention! haha

Edited by Casardis

First of all, take all of my yes.

Second, I like how you're actually trying to fix the stance instead of just adding a new one, with actual thought behind all of it by following DE's base design logic, but without removing anything, just moving things around.

That being said, I'd like it if we had more stances to chose from.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Casardis said:

If you don't know what a "neutral tactical combo" is, please see here.

or just use terms that people will more likely to understand:

- standing

- forward

- block+forward

- block

Suggestion 3: Forward Tactical Combo

giphy.gif

• Removed starter slam atk (see next combo suggestion)

• Moved the twirling atk here as a starter for distance closing, allowing you to hit multiple enemies on the way, including aerial enemies, while having chances to score headshots

• Diagonal atk ender can have small slam effect that causes knockdown

• In line with DE's own design workshop regarding Forward Tactical Combo

JUmping to enemy is in line with DE's design as well. IMHO they should remove or modify that weird spining before jump. Twirling + some range could work as well (as you said)

• Repurposed existing attacks into a hard-hitting, sweeping combo for range & CC

• 1st attack uses the alternate Heavy Melee attack, which are two 360 slashes

• 2nd attack uses the slam attack currently in the Forward Tactical Combo, and causes Lifting

• Wise Razor doesn't have a Neutral Tactical Combo, so adding one can make combo more varied

• In line with DE's own design workshop regarding Neutral Tactical Combo

+1

giphy.gif

Look, I'm old folk. I don't watch movies in 2x or 3x speed as you.

In line with DE's own design workshop from 2019 regarding Forward Combo

Ok, let me follow link to the DE's workshop. Oh, wait, IT'S IMAGE OF QUOTE. Why?

On 2024-02-12 at 7:02 PM, quxier said:

or just use terms that people will more likely to understand:

Maybe, but since I refer to the dev workshop, I chose to be consistent with DE's words.

Look, I'm old folk. I don't watch movies in 2x or 3x speed as you.

I fail to see why being old folk is relevant, nor do I understand why you made an offhand (incorrect) assumption about me, and how that relates to my feedback.

Ok, let me follow link to the DE's workshop. Oh, wait, IT'S IMAGE OF QUOTE. Why?

I made these image quotes for my Reddit post, which was posted before the Forums one. It was convenient for me.

I already linked to the Dev Workshop at the very beginning. Just follow that link as a separate tab, and search for the combo name, which I intentionally matched with DE instead of using the "terms that people understand," to use as reference, if opening image quotes is a bother.

Edited by Casardis

1 hour ago, Casardis said:
On 2024-02-13 at 1:02 AM, quxier said:

ook, I'm old folk. I don't watch movies in 2x or 3x speed as you.

I fail to see why being old folk is relevant, nor do I understand why you made an offhand (incorrect) assumption about me, and how that relates to my feedback.

The older you get the lower your response is. Is it too hard to guess that? Those images are not helpful. Without text describing them I wouldn't understand it.

On 2024-02-16 at 3:22 PM, quxier said:

The older you get the lower your response is. Is it too hard to guess that? Those images are not helpful. Without text describing them I wouldn't understand it.

If a looping GIF of Tatsu's spliced moveset, which also has a description underneath to explain the two attacks, is too much for you to understand, then it's not my problem. Your offhand assumptions and condescending tone aren't helpful either.

Edited by Casardis
  • Like 2