The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Punch through on weapons with a radial component, seeking clarification

Hexerin

Question

To my understanding:

• For radial beam weapons (Ignis, etc), the radial will proc on the final target hit when punching through multiple targets.
  • For radial projectile weapons (Kuva Chakkhurr, etc), the radial will only proc on the first target hit while the projectile itself will keep going to hit more targets.

Is my understanding still correct, or is it in need of updating? If the latter, I seek the new info.

6 answers to this question

There are many, many  weapons I haven't tested or looked at.  And when I've been looking closely, I've almost entirely been concerned with bodies--landscape may impact some of them differently.  I also haven't looked at ricochet or chaining AoE with PT.

Anyway, such as they are, my observations are there are four different behaviors: 

- PT Projectile stops at first target, explosion originates from first target.  The vast, vast majority of projectiles that carry a radial damage component haven't been affected by Punch Through at all since Veilbreaker.   Nearly all still display a PT value in the Arsenal if modded for it, radial beam weapons being the only exceptions I can recall.   (Whether they punch through or not.  See below.)

- PT Projectile continues past first target, explosion originates from first target.  Ferrox regular fire, Trumna regular fire, Opticors, Scourge Prime throw.  I think there are a few more I can't recall, and no doubt some I haven't discovered.  Most or all are weapons that have always had innate PT. (Scourge Prime is particularly bizarre, as its PT is undocumented,  it seems counterproductive, and the basic version doesn't behave this way.)

- PT Projectile continues past first target, explosion originates from last target.  Komorex altfire, Mutalist Cernos, Ignis.

- PT Projectile continues past first target, explodes on multiple targets.  Sporo with augment.  I feel like there's an Incarnon weapon that does this too, but not one I've tested personally.

1 hour ago, Hexerin said:

For radial beam weapons (Ignis, etc), the radial will proc on the final target hit when punching through multiple targets.

I could have sworn Ignis was put in the "non functional PT" pile at some point.  But I just looked at the Wraith right now,  and the beam is punching and the sphere originates from the last target hit exactly as you described.  OTOH PT on Primary Gaze does nothing to either the beam or sphere.   I haven't tested the others.  I would have bet this whole group worked the same way as each other, and I would have lost that bet.

Another odd inconsistency is Torid (non Incarnon) vs Mutalist Cernos.  Non functional PT on the former, last PT contact explosion on the latter.

Edited by Tiltskillet
  • Like 1

Just now, Hexerin said:

Okay. So I'm not only running off outdated info, but the way things currently are is just an absolute mess.

I'd call it more "just an average mess"... 🤪 ...since the vast majority of weapons seem to fit in category 1.  (Like so much so, I'd think most people who weren't around before Veilbreaker and have even thought about it just assume that's the rule.) 

Although if you know of more examples in the other three categories, I'm open to amending that judgement.  Plus it's a subject I'm very curious about, so I'd love to know more without having to test every weapon one by one.

3 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

I'd call it more "just an average mess"... 🤪 ...since the vast majority of weapons seem to fit in category 1.  (Like so much so, I'd think most people who weren't around before Veilbreaker and have even thought about it just assume that's the rule.) 

Although if you know of more examples in the other three categories, I'm open to amending that judgement.  Plus it's a subject I'm very curious about, so I'd love to know more without having to test every weapon one by one.

Well, if nothing else, it would appear that the Kuva Chakkhurr fits into the first category.

• No body punch through despite being modded with Primed Shred (+2.2 punch through).
    • Projectile stops at the first target.
    • Radial originates from the impact point on first target.
  • No terrain punch through despite being modded with Primed Shred (+2.2 punch through).
    • Projectile stops upon impacting terrain.
    • Radial originates from the impact point on terrain.
      • Radial's radius ignores terrain, still hitting targets on the other side of the terrain if they're close enough (which is normal for this weapon).

7 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Well, if nothing else, it would appear that the Kuva Chakkhurr fits into the first category.

• No body punch through despite being modded with Primed Shred (+2.2 punch through).
    • Projectile stops at the first target.
    • Radial originates from the impact point on first target.
  • No terrain punch through despite being modded with Primed Shred (+2.2 punch through).
    • Projectile stops upon impacting terrain.
    • Radial originates from the impact point on terrain.
      • Radial's radius ignores terrain, still hitting targets on the other side of the terrain if they're close enough (which is normal for this weapon).

Just a couple of notes in case they're helpful and if you're interested in testing more:  Qorvex is very handy for this, although I don't yet fully trust his PT passive working the same as regular PT.  And object PT can be sketchy anywhere, even on conventional weapons.  A large part of the reason I haven't spent much time testing it. In the Ballroom Sim, shooting through the statues seems the best way to look at it.

3 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Qorvex is very handy for this, although I don't yet fully trust his PT passive working the same as regular PT.

Considering Equinox's passive doesn't let you pick up orbs while you're full on their type (so if you're full health but missing energy, you still won't pick up health orbs), that's probably a good mindset to have.

3 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

In the Ballroom Sim, shooting through the statues seems the best way to look at it.

In the testing of Kuva Chakkhurr, I tried a few different angles through a few different parts of the raised "walls" on the spawning platform, for context.