The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Deactivate mods in Arsenal

Showgunner

How about being able to disable mods in the arsenal. So that they continue to use a mod slot, but no capacity. Accordingly, the effect of the deactivated mod is not applied.

It would have the advantage that you could build your final setup right from the start.

Deactivated mods could then be colorless, for example.

• Like 3

17 минут назад, Showgunner сказал:

How about being able to disable mods in the arsenal. So that they continue to use a mod slot, but no capacity. Accordingly, the effect of the deactivated mod is not applied.

It would have the advantage that you could build your final setup right from the start.

Deactivated mods could then be colorless, for example.

First, this section is for bugreporting. And your post isn't about a bug. Report your own post and ask moderators to move it to appropriate forum section: https://forums.warframe.com/forum/21-general/

Second, if you want to disable a mod - just remove it from the build. And if you struggle to remember what mod you've removed - write it down in a notepad.

to 1: yes, that's right. I'm sorry. I guess I made a mistake there. Thank you for your hint.

to 2: if there are over 50 warframes with several builds each, I can of course create an Excel and write it down in a neat and simple way. But deactivating a mod is much more relaxed. That probably falls under the QOL category. If I remember correctly, DE always placed a high value on QOL

I'm probably not as active in the forum as you are, but I've been playing the game for a lot longer. When I make a post, I've already thought of something. Nevertheless, I would like to thank you for your efforts

My dude, you've been in game longer than me, you should have your entire MR mod points stacked up and everything else ready to use (including the access to over-points on items like Kuva/Tenet weapons that can level beyond 30).

You can put up with waiting until you've got Polarities on your frame to put the physical mods on there. You know what mods they're going to be. You don't need them in front of you.

There's no difference between what you want and what we have now, in terms of functionality, because the exact same effort it takes to slot the mod would be used to activate the mod you've already slotted.

There's a wild difference between what you want and what we have now, in terms of Developer time, because none of us even know how buggy that's going to be to implement, how much dev time it'll take, and then on top of that explaining the concept to players who have never used the modding system the way we have.

This would be a helpful addition for those times when you add a forma and it removes a few mods due to the capacity changing, or even if someone wanted to put a bunch of mods on their weapon and ask if the build would be good or not. Of course, where the capacity is there would probably have to be a total number to indicate just how much each of those deactivated mods would reduce it.

Le 23/02/2024 à 21:31, Birdframe_Prime a dit :

My dude, you've been in game longer than me, you should have your entire MR mod points stacked up and everything else ready to use (including the access to over-points on items like Kuva/Tenet weapons that can level beyond 30).

You can put up with waiting until you've got Polarities on your frame to put the physical mods on there. You know what mods they're going to be. You don't need them in front of you.

There's no difference between what you want and what we have now, in terms of functionality, because the exact same effort it takes to slot the mod would be used to activate the mod you've already slotted.

There's a wild difference between what you want and what we have now, in terms of Developer time, because none of us even know how buggy that's going to be to implement, how much dev time it'll take, and then on top of that explaining the concept to players who have never used the modding system the way we have.

Thank you for your feedback.

As you mentioned, I've been with Warframe for a long time. This adjustment wouldn't be of much use to me, that's true.

But I care a lot about the community and especially because I've been there for so long, I think I know what could help new players.

Far too often my mods were thrown out when I used a forma. Especially when there are multiple builds. I don't know how the mod is revoked in this cases, but very few people probably notice or make a note of whitch mod it was.

If it's just about helping players, there's other ways to go about it. I, for one, think the following problem you have is actually perfectly logical:

5 hours ago, Showgunner said:

Far too often my mods were thrown out when I used a forma. Especially when there are multiple builds. I don't know how the mod is revoked in this cases, but very few people probably notice or make a note of whitch mod it was.

When you put on a Forma and reduce your total mod capacity (when you're under MR 30), it always kicks out the last mods in the load order of left to right, top to bottom, so the ones kicked out will always start from the bottom right and work their way back. It's important that it does this, because it shows the player that there is a load order, and that slotting certain mods can result in different effects depending on their order (like the elemental mods).

When you rank up a mod with Endo and it warns you that this will remove that specific mod from any builds that use it, if it exceeds the point capacity, and this could be improved as a warning quite a bit, currently if you 'Okay' the message it doesn't actually tell you all of the builds it gets removed from.

I feel that your method, of 'deactivating' a mod, would actually be more confusing to new players. Because they would go through the motion of slotting a mod, and then wonder why it doesn't work. Why doesn't it change their stats? Why is it possible to slot a mod when it doesn't even work?

Approaching the new player experience is a really tricky subject because you cannot take into account what new players will see and what they won't.

If you want an example, watch any of the forty or fifty 'New player tries Warframe' videos that have sprung up in the last two months alone, and watch as almost all of them just... fail to read on screen instructions. Fail to pick up context that isn't explicitly spelled out to them by dialogue. Question things that we genuinely take for granted because we were there when the system changed to that and know why it was changed to that. For an example, I was asked why (in all honesty) by a player that was not around for the Limbo rework why his time stop couldn't stop bullets in the Rift, not knowing this was part of his original kit and was removed because it made other players unable to shoot things either.

If it wasn't somebody I was actively teaching the game at the time, I would have suspected them of trolling, but they honestly asked the question.

New players complain about systems that keep them from completing things fast, because they aren't aware that DE statistically gains profit from having players stay in the game for more sessions over the course of weeks or months, way more than letting players get to things faster.

My point is, the counter to your idea about this potentially helping players is that it could just as easily confuse new players further.

• Like 1

Le 26/02/2024 à 20:39, Birdframe_Prime a dit :

I feel that your method, of 'deactivating' a mod, would actually be more confusing to new players. Because they would go through the motion of slotting a mod, and then wonder why it doesn't work. Why doesn't it change their stats? Why is it possible to slot a mod when it doesn't even work?

I see your point. Maybe you're right about that. I'm not familiar with what confuses new players and what they understand right away. But I am confident that there would be many easy approaches to make this fairly simple adjustment:

The mod itself can be kept black and white, then no one has to be able to read and it stands out directly from the other mods.

The statistics could indicate in gray the values that it would have including the deactivated mod.

You could also enable or disable the option to deactivate mods in the settings. Of course it wouldn't be active to begin with, so you have to activate it yourself first.

And these are just my ideas. Digital Extreme would certainly have better ones.

It's probably a lot of effort to set up and program, but remember that it would be an optional improvement for every Warframe, every weapon, every pet and every Archwing

On 2024-03-01 at 10:13 AM, Showgunner said:

It's probably a lot of effort to set up and program, but remember that it would be an optional improvement for every Warframe, every weapon, every pet and every Archwing

You're not wrong. Optional sounds great. In theory. Optional always sounds great in theory.

A quick and easy, slightly cheap, answer to this is to remember that whenever DE have to add a new system for something like this, they then have to not only implement it, they have to check it every single update. 

A future update may cause the modding for a specific mod to read 'deactivated' but having it slotted my allow its Set Bonus to affect things, and that becomes a meta for players to use weapons that they don't need to Forma in order to get the effects. They can slot all the Set mods onto a weapon and, even when they're deactivated, the effects still work. A new, out of the Foundry, Warframe could slot Umbral Intensify, but then slot the Deactivated Umbral Fiber and Umbral Vitality, and use no mod points to have the full +77% Strength.

What about Rivens that affect Warframe Abilities, as the next point, do they still affect the Ability if they're slotted, but not Activated? A bug could cause that, or an oversight when DE updates something, or even DE could think it was fine for a year or so and then change it out when they saw it taking over a meta.

If you're not swayed by the argument that this is a lot of work by DE to give us something we genuinely don't need, only want. If you're not swayed by the argument that this could have the opposite effect of helping new players and instead could confuse them.

Then be swayed by this simple fact: DE's Evolution Engine is full of spaghetti code. It always manages to throw something out that DE didn't expect. And when that happens, they either spend far too long patching it out, only for a new version of the same bug to appear six months later after a new update, or they ignore it for a year or so until it becomes a meta, so they have to remove it and say it wasn't supposed to be there all along.