Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The 24 Hour Wait Before Being Able To Try Ranking Up Again Is Wrong

Vominator

I'm 59 years old and I'm not very good at some moves, and never have been, and apparently not getting any better. I have been playing video games since my mid twenties. I play on gaming pcs. I'm having trouble moving up from 7 to 8 in rank. If I was able to keep trying for an hour or two, I probably could get it. I haven't spent any money because now I am stuck. I've been trying for a week, lol. So you are loosing money. If I can only try once in 24 hours, I can't practice enough to get it. And after some point I'll loose interest, and you will loose a paying customer. Please do away with the 3 times/24 hour thing. Or perhaps you can move my account to next rank. I would prefer doing the challenge myself, so I'm hoping that you can change this feature for us uncoordinated old fogies. Thank You.

DE has acknowledged this issue at least once, and I believe their stated remedy is the eventual addition of a practice room for the Rank test in the clan dojo.

If that is the wall running test it took me three tries to complete. Make sure you un-equip any rush mods you have, they tend to make you fling yourself too far,

Edited by AegisGrey

They've touched on this on the livestreams, seems the current solution is that we'll be able to practice mastery tests in the dojo before doing them, and re-do them after we've completed them in the dojo (and for those of us that got high rank a long time ago, do the new ones we didn't get to do).

Sadly since the fix is incoming we'll have to live with the current fairly annoying state of things for now, they're not likely to give us an intermediate fix while we wait.

This really bothered me as well, but I had assumed all mastery that would have been gained during the time capped was lost. After I learned that once you finish the test all the mastery is applied to the next rank I really did not care anymore.

Edited by zeroythe

Having to wait 24 hours to retry mastery tests your not otherwise able to practice is aimed at driving people away from the game obviously, otherwise it would of been changed by this time.

Personally I think the time restrictions are unreasonable & should be removed all together as isn't the idea to allow players to enjoy the game at the level they work hard for within the game? (Gaining the Mastery to start with cause lets face it once you get above level 5 or 6 it really does start to become a grind fest to attain higher level)
OR

Allow players to buy (with ingame credits NOT PLAT) extra goes. Maybe price them 10k each try, or 15k.

OR

Maybe even have a resource that drops or a BP that drops that players can use to create extra tries at the level tests. A key or something would work well.

As for being able to practice wall running in the dojo, you need to be able to practice the course EXACTLY as it is in the level 8 test. Anything else is just going to achieve nothing & if player really want they can practice wall running in just about any mission but it isn't exactly the same as the test.

Suggestion:

Have a virtual obstacle course that is accessible via Dojo. This could be used for any number of things.

Weapon training. (set a virtual game map, randomly spawned with the mobs you choose for testing purposes, no affinity gained, no items received and no penalty for dying. but useful for testing weapon builds)

Mastery Test Training. All completed mastery tests and the upcoming test are all that would be available to a player. (i.e. a mastery rank 5 player would have access to 1-5 as well as the test he faces to rank up to 6. but nothing after that.

Maneuver testing. a collection of different panels that you would see in the game available on command to practice in. based on tileset. meaning once the player has been through it in the main game he can then put together (or have generated) a very difficult string of panels to test his movement skills. (i'd tie this into the codex system somehow, so that unlocking void treasure rooms for practice / training with clan members would be possible)

I could come up with a few more, but these would be the primary uses I can think of quickly.

I can definitely sympathize with OP.  Being stuck for ages is a real bummer.  But I am one of the few that likes the 24 hour penalty.  Maybe 24 is a little steep, but I definitely like a penalty for one simple reason: pressure in a game = fun.  I love the feeling of when a game makes me a little nervous, makes me sweat a little, and that feeling is very hard to find.  I love the feeling of cracking my knuckles and taking a deep breath before a test, telling myself to stay frosty because there's actually something on the line.  Take away the penalty, and you take away what makes the tests so great.

However, I will say that I'm rank 7, so I haven't done the parkour test yet, and that one may be maddening.  Who knows, I might sing a different tune when it comes time for that test.  We'll see.

New player here, I just leveled to Rank 2 and I clicked on the test not realising it was to be timed, when I didn't kill things fast enough I failed it.  While I acknowlege that there should be a penalty, 24 hours is ABSURD.  4 hours would be better because a whole day is just silly.

Edited by Sevrid

Other than buying specific items on the market or building dojo research weapons, there is no penalty for being a lower rank. 

I agree that it's irritating in the extreme, but it doesn't hobble you for long.

In the meantime, I highly suggest you check out the wiki and watch youtube videos on each test before attempting it.

I know this is a poor substitute for a properly designed mechanic, but it's what is available at the moment.

The presence of these "tests" in this game at all is properly a topic for another thread.  They certainly seem entirely out of place and a kind of after thought of the devs as regards to "Oh hey once you get your frame to level 30 then what is left to do? - Oh how about a mastery rank test? - Oh hey that sounds cool - ya lets do it."

But -

The issue of the flawed and broken level 7-8 test has been extensively covered in many many posts over many many months.

The truly uninformed and unhelpful response of many posters has been to the effect that:

1) Well I did it just fine so why cant you?

2) What are you complaining about? It is supposed to be a challenge. Learn 2 Play - watch a vid.

3) Ahh seems cool to me man

All the while on some systems (and it seems to be on a lot of them) there has been a credible outcry that this test is impossibly flawed.  And absolutely no amount of practice in the  dojo or video watching will ever compensate.

Some of the listed problems include - platforms moving unpredictably and ejecting the frame, walls disappearing while on them, frames jumping through walls, re-spawning in the abyss repeatedly and getting an automatic fail, frames sliding off the walls inexplicably, target balls exploding into confetti or balloons which completely obscure all vision until you are long past the wall - and the list goes on.

Of course there is a vocal crew of ignorant folk that dont get this because it is not happening to them and they just cant see it,  Hope they never become doctors or nurses because if they never had cancer or diabetes themselves, then they wont be able to treat the patient.

Meanwhile several suggestions have been proffered

The real benefit from rank is the ability to build weapons. 

Those weapons are becoming increasingly needed as DE keeps nerfing any decent weapon due to the OP OP OP outcries of a vocal few who did not get them or have some bizarre concept that you are supposed to use the same peashooters on Pluto that you use on Earth even though though enemies are about 50 times harder. 

The suggestion is:

Since building weapons is supposed to be Exp locked - then how about DE unlocks the weapons once the required mastery rank exp points are accumulated.

That way if someone gets stuck on a flawed test, their hard efforts will not be totally in vain due to a coding glitch.

There have been suggestions to award the Rank automatically after a certain number of fails, in exchange for credits or platinum, in exchange for additional mastery points, or as points continue to accrue to a certain level.  All these reasonable suggestions have been loudly opposed by the L2P gang

The idea, voiced by some, that you will actually advance automatically if you keep racking up exp points is a complete myth.

I ranked up to right around 300k points and never got promoted.

(for reference the level 8 test unlocks at 160k, 10 at 250k 12 at 360k so i had leveled pretty close to rank 11 and no promo).

For those whose ego desperately needs a reward for actually passing these tests (which seem totally out of place in general), then the suggestion was made to award them a badge, or a medal, stars, chevrons, oak leaves - that they can pin on their frame much like event badges.

Then they can demonstrate to the gaming world how uber pro they are - when in fact it is just that their system will run this flawed test - but we can not remind them of that.

Unlocking the weapons based on mastery points rather than level seems to have been well received by many but it is not being implemented to my knowledge and the test is not being fixed either.

If it is any consolation - the only weapon you can build at 8 is the Embolist.  Its range is pathetic - 6 m and people are clamoring to increase it.

But again the OPies in this game who want only nerf weapons are screaming no no no -

So maybe you are not missing out too much

And even if you got the Embolist - there is no promise that it wont get nerfed even more the way things have been going around here.

My last suggestion for you - and trust me i hated this when i heard it -

There is a frustrating way to use a loki to do this test. (forget the excaliber super jump and the nova wormhole - trust me on this)

Level up the loki. get a good range on his decoy but not totally maximized. 

In other words - max stretch but not over-extended too.

Take energy siphon and some energy restore modules in your gear because this is going to be tedious.

Make sure you have decoy and switch teleport on the loki.

Once in the test, by aiming slightly above the rings/platforms - drop your decoy onto the platform and then teleport to his location.

Many time he will fizzle into space - reposition and try again, and again, and probably again many times.

You may have to shoot the first ball and get onto the horizontal platform in order to place him properly.

It is a tedious spacial puzzle not a wall running puzzle anymore.

But it will do in a pinch.

Best of luck to you - you have my sympathy regarding this broken test.

Edited by Asynaptic2

Asy you have some really good ideas there & as things currently stand I have now been trying to pass the level 7-8 Rank up test for 24 days & still have no chance in hell of passing it.

I have no idea why some people are able to pass it easily & others like myself have no chance but I do know that being stuck on a ranking up test is stupid to say the very least & just lends more to the reviews that are now going on about Warframe saying it is nothing more than a Grind fest that is made worse by a cash shop that is over priced. (Not my words. they are from a review on WarFrame on MMORPG.COM & other gaming info sites)

I am now also finding that when trying to jump from one wall to another it is even harder to guess what it is going to do now after the changes of U11. I have had my frame launch its self forward when trying to jump to the walls now.

This is so frustrating that i am considering just moving on to a game that isn't so grind orientated as it seems that nothing is ever going to change when it comes to WF.