The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is it just me or is Qorvex a bit nausating to play?

Zahnrad

This could just be a "me" thing but I thought I'd bring it up because it's resulting in me not enjoying Qorvex that much, despite him having a playstyle I actually want to use.

First off, he's a big boi, a really chunky boy. I find his shoulders often obscure too much of my vision when aiming. I have the Porta Shoulder plates on him, which I didn't think would be huge but on Qorvex they obscure way too much of the screen. It splits my attention which can become irritating to play.

An option to hide Qorvex's shoulders and/or arm accessories in general would go a long way. Even in the Foundry,

The second and I think much bigger problem is his Pillars.

I love his pillars from a gameplay standpoint but from a visual standpoint they start to make me feel unwell after a while.

I just did the Orokin Reactor Alert Excavator mission on Earth, which I wasn't aware it was a Night time mission. Qorvex's pillars just seem to pulse like a flashbang every few seconds. So just doing that one mission made me feel a bit *off* after it was finished.

I've not normally felt like this playing Warframe, even with most particle effects on Ludicrous settings and etc.

In the past I've tried changing the Energy colors on Qorvex to pure black, but even without visible energy his pillars still produce a "pulsing" screen effect similar to a shockwave which also messed with my head a bit.

Then you have Qorvex's 4th ability that overcharges the pillars, causing them to pulse every second or so.

Please note, I'm not saying Qorvex's kit is bad or anything like that. I quite enjoy it. It's just his effects from the pillars, the overcharged pillars, and the irritation from his large frame blocking my screen while aiming tends to give me a headache and feel a bit dizzy. Even though nothing else in Warframe has made me feel this way.

Edited by Zahnny
  • Like 1

• Zahnrad changed the title to Is it just me or is Qorvex a bit nausating to play?

Regarding the headache/dizzy feeling, it is probably a you thing as I'm completely fine looking at it even for an hour at a time.

From what i can tell the issue is likely the fact that the pillars pulse constantly and most effects in Warframe don't pulse and just last a second before disappearing. See if you have the same issue with the Basmu's reloading pulses or Sapping drone's pulsing mines as those are the only other 2 effects i know of that pulse multiple times.

Lastly, make sure to stay properly hydrated and fed as they may play a role in this issue. Also, any form of sickness/illness i.e. covid or the flu, may also cause sensitivity to lights that are flashing/pulsing constantly.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, AndouRaiton said:

Lastly, make sure to stay properly hydrated and fed as they may play a role in this issue. Also, any form of sickness/illness i.e. covid or the flu, may also cause sensitivity to lights that are flashing/pulsing constantly.

Thanks, though I wager the biggest factor for me currently is the storms we've been having for the past few weeks where I live.

Possibly a result of low blood pressure? But apparently it's been a thing in my family where the pressure drop during stormy weather can cause us dizziness or headaches. Just my luck that for the past several weeks it's been non-stop. Kinda fitting I just got through a Wuthering Heights audiobook recently. Since it's certainly been wuthering.

I guess I should've mentioned this earlier but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to mention it in the thread or not. Regardless it only seems to be Qorvex that I'm getting these issues with while playing.

Edited by Zahnny

Might help to do a darker energy color on him.  As for shoulders, I run the Frakta ones just because of how odd shoulders that directly attach look on him and the Frakta Shoulderguards sorta hug his shoulders enough that it doesn't do much for interfering with aim (although I've technically never had that issue for a completely different reason).

2 minutes ago, Raarsi said:

Might help to do a darker energy color on him.  As for shoulders, I run the Frakta ones just because of how odd shoulders that directly attach look on him and the Frakta Shoulderguards sorta hug his shoulders enough that it doesn't do much for interfering with aim (although I've technically never had that issue for a completely different reason).

I mentioned already I tried putting it to pure black to remove the energy effect altogether, and even that didn't help because it still produces a visible pulse, like looking at a shockwave.

7 minutes ago, Raarsi said:

Might help to do a darker energy color on him. 

It doesn't really, not unless you just prefer having dark  concrete blocks in your field of vision instead of more colorful ones.  In other words, they're just as opaque.

1 hour ago, Zahnny said:

I just did the Orokin Reactor Alert Excavator mission on Earth, which I wasn't aware it was a Night time mission. Qorvex's pillars just seem to pulse like a flashbang every few seconds. So just doing that one mission made me feel a bit *off* after it was finished.

I've not normally felt like this playing Warframe, even with most particle effects on Ludicrous settings and etc.

Maybe issue is not exactly 1st pulsating but combination of some effects? You mentioned that it was "dark mission".

What Causes Seizures in People With Photosensitive Epilepsy?

Seizure triggers vary from person to person. But some common triggers are:

• Flashing light
  • Bright, contrasting patterns such as white bars against a black background
  • Flashing white light followed by darkness
  • Stimulating images that take up your complete field of vision, such as being very close to a TV screen
  • Certain colors, such as red and blue

https://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/photosensitive-epilepsy-symptoms-causes-treatment

Do you have same similar effect in "light" missions?

In general what about something like Void storms (RJ). I remember constant white flashing makes me tired just after hour. It was like I've spent 3+ hours without any breaks.

You can read that website (just random google). It may be helpful.

Nah, other missions, warframes and effects don't seem to bother me. It's just the way the Pillars do that pulse. I just mentioned it was Night on Earth because I imagine that probably contributed to the problem due to having a much more sharper contrast between light and dark.

4 hours ago, Zahnny said:

I mentioned already I tried putting it to pure black to remove the energy effect altogether, and even that didn't help because it still produces a visible pulse, like looking at a shockwave.

Pure black is pretty much just grey.

try a dark color like red, blue, purple, green, brown.

3小时前 , Zahnny 说:

Nah, other missions, warframes and effects don't seem to bother me. It's just the way the Pillars do that pulse. I just mentioned it was Night on Earth because I imagine that probably contributed to the problem due to having a much more sharper contrast between light and dark.

One trigger of motion sickness is the disconnection between your reception. That's why some people (me) get sick when playing first person shooter. You are not moving, but your eyes and ears keep telling your brain you are moving and spinning. Third person shooter is fine because you are not moving, your warframe is.

The same thing happened when I equipped hobble dragon key or in Kahl mission. When I moved forward, my brain expected me to go forward at a certain speed but my visual told me I was going really slow. Even that subtle disconnection is enough to make me a bit sick.

In your case I suspect it is because of the night time ambient. There is no visual cue (ie background) to visualize your orientation except the pulsing pillars, which are very poor markers because they are pulsing (not stable) and cannot tell you the distance and depth of view (further disorientation). Coupled with all the action and spinning and random sparks and bullets here and there, and occasionally one or two enemies blocking the pillar pulse, it could get really messy.

If you really want to check, trying simulacrum and put the pillars on the ground, and then jump high above them and look down. You should be fine when having the bird eye view of everything.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ToastyGrimlock98 said:

Pure black is pretty much just grey.

try a dark color like red, blue, purple, green, brown.

Different colors can fade into matching backgrounds better, making them contribute less to visual clutter...maybe. 

But backgrounds even within a mission aren't uniform, and it doesn't address the most basic problem: the plates aren't transparent.

13 hours ago, RichardKam said:

One trigger of motion sickness is the disconnection between your reception. That's why some people (me) get sick when playing first person shooter. You are not moving, but your eyes and ears keep telling your brain you are moving and spinning. Third person shooter is fine because you are not moving, your warframe is.

The same thing happened when I equipped hobble dragon key or in Kahl mission. When I moved forward, my brain expected me to go forward at a certain speed but my visual told me I was going really slow. Even that subtle disconnection is enough to make me a bit sick.

In your case I suspect it is because of the night time ambient. There is no visual cue (ie background) to visualize your orientation except the pulsing pillars, which are very poor markers because they are pulsing (not stable) and cannot tell you the distance and depth of view (further disorientation). Coupled with all the action and spinning and random sparks and bullets here and there, and occasionally one or two enemies blocking the pillar pulse, it could get really messy.

If you really want to check, trying simulacrum and put the pillars on the ground, and then jump high above them and look down. You should be fine when having the bird eye view of everything.

This seems like it might be the best explanation. I don't get it with Kahl or etc, maybe that's because I've been playing Warframe for so long.

But I think I remember I always hated Conclave or the Cold Sorties because they would reduce your overall movement and parkour speeds. When those factors are changed in real time I adapt easily. But there's something about that feeling of "I know this frame should be moving faster but I can't tell what's slowing it down" that gets to me.

Being hit by cold procs or stepping in ice? That makes sense. There's more of a noticable feedback that sort of explains it subconsciously.

That being said, Qorvex also has an extremely lower sprint speed compared to other warframes which might factor in also.